Patterns & Phenotypes
Temporal regulation of Dpp signaling output in the Drosophila wing
Article first published online: 21 MAR 2014
© 2014 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Volume 243, Issue 6, pages 818–832, June 2014
How to Cite
O'Keefe, D. D., Thomas, S., Edgar, B. A. and Buttitta, L. (2014), Temporal regulation of Dpp signaling output in the Drosophila wing. Dev. Dyn., 243: 818–832. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.24122
- Issue published online: 22 MAY 2014
- Article first published online: 21 MAR 2014
- Accepted manuscript online: 2 MAR 2014 11:05PM EST
- Manuscript Revised: 25 FEB 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 25 FEB 2014
- Manuscript Received: 22 AUG 2013
- NIH. Grant Numbers: GM070887, GM086517
- NCI. Grant Number: 1 U54 CA132381
- 2007. The Decapentaplegic morphogen gradient: from pattern formation to growth regulation. Nat Rev Genet 8:663–674. , .
- 2006. MEME: discovering and analyzing DNA and protein sequence motifs. Nucleic Acids Res 34:W369–373. , , , .
- 2009. MEME SUITE: tools for motif discovery and searching. Nucleic Acids Res 37:W202–208. , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Three habits of highly effective signaling pathways: principles of transcriptional control by developmental cell signaling. Genes Dev 16:1167–1181. , .
- 2012. Drosophila GAGA factor is required for full activation of the dE2f1-Yki/Sd transcriptional program. Cell Cycle 11:4191–4202. , , , , .
- 2004. Function of the Trithorax-like gene during Drosophila development. Dev Biol 268:327–341. , .
- 1989. Requirement for integrins during Drosophila wing development. Nature 342:285–287. , .
- 2012. New negative feedback regulators of Egfr signaling in Drosophila. Genetics 191:1213–1226. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. A double-assurance mechanism controls cell cycle exit upon terminal differentiation in Drosophila. Dev Cell 12:631–643. , , , , .
- 2010. A robust cell cycle control mechanism limits E2F-induced proliferation of terminally differentiated cells in vivo. J Cell Biol 189:981–996. , , .
- 1996. Visualization of gene expression in living adult Drosophila. Science 274:252–255. , , , .
- 2000. Crossveinless 2 contains cysteine-rich domains and is required for high levels of BMP-like activity during the formation of the cross veins in Drosophila. Development 127:3947–3959. , , , , , , , .
- 2013. A Schnurri/Mad/Medea complex attenuates the dorsal-twist gradient readout at vnd. Dev Biol 378:64–72. , .
- 1998. The Drosophila gene Medea demonstrates the requirement for different classes of Smads in dpp signaling. Development 125:1519–1528. , , , , , , .
- 1997. Expression and function of decapentaplegic and thick veins during the differentiation of the veins in the Drosophila wing. Development 124:1007–1018. .
- 2007. Integrin-ECM interactions regulate the changes in cell shape driving the morphogenesis of the Drosophila wing epithelium. J Cell Sci 120:1061–1071. , , .
- 1996. RBF, a novel RB-related gene that regulates E2F activity and interacts with cyclin E in Drosophila. Genes Dev 10:1206–1218. , , , .
- 2007. Dpp signalling orchestrates dorsal closure by regulating cell shape changes both in the amnioserosa and in the epidermis. Mech Dev 124:884–897. , , .
- 2008. REDfly 2.0: an integrated database of cis-regulatory modules and transcription factor binding sites in Drosophila. Nucleic Acids Res 36:D594–598. , , .
- 1997. Drosophila Jun relays the Jun amino-terminal kinase signal transduction pathway to the Decapentaplegic signal transduction pathway in regulating epithelial cell sheet movement. Genes Dev 11:1728–1737. , , .
- 2005. The lesswright mutation activates Rel-related proteins, leading to overproduction of larval hemocytes in Drosophila melanogaster. Dev Biol 280:407–420. , , .
- 1998. Interplay of signal mediators of decapentaplegic (Dpp): molecular characterization of mothers against dpp, Medea, and daughters against dpp. Mol Biol Cell 9:2145–2156. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1987. The decapentaplegic gene is required for dorsal-ventral patterning of the Drosophila embryo. Genes Dev 1:868–879. , .
- 1998. Ectopic expression of activated Ras1 induces hyperplastic growth and increased cell death in Drosophila imaginal tissues. Development 125:1–9. , .
- 1997. Drosophila Mad binds to DNA and directly mediates activation of vestigial by Decapentaplegic. Nature 388:304–308. , , , , .
- 1999. Constitutive activation of toll-mediated antifungal defense in serpin-deficient Drosophila. Science 285:1917–1919. , , , , , , .
- 2013. Dpp signaling determines regional stem cell identity in the regenerating adult Drosophila gastrointestinal tract. Cell Rep 4:10–18. , , .
- 2010. Nutritional control of gene expression in Drosophila larvae via TOR, Myc and a novel cis-regulatory element. BMC Cell Biol 11:7. , , .
- 2012. Response to the BMP gradient requires highly combinatorial inputs from multiple patterning systems in the Drosophila embryo. Development 139:1956–1964. , , , .
- 2006. Threshold response of C15 to the Dpp gradient in Drosophila is established by the cumulative effect of Smad and Zen activators and negative cues. Development 133:4805–4813. , , , .
- 1999. wing blister, a new Drosophila laminin alpha chain required for cell adhesion and migration during embryonic and imaginal development. J Cell Biol 145:191–201. , , , , , , , .
- 2002. A characterization of the effects of Dpp signaling on cell growth and proliferation in the Drosophila wing. Development 129:1003–1013. , .
- 2008. Haemocyte-derived SPARC is required for collagen-IV-dependent stability of basal laminae in Drosophila embryos. J Cell Sci 121:1671–1680. , , , .
- 2003. Spatiotemporal rescue of memory dysfunction in Drosophila. Science 302:1765–1768. , , , , .
- 1996. Cell cycling and patterned cell proliferation in the Drosophila wing during metamorphosis. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 93:11687–11692. , , .
- 2006. Cooperative activities of drosophila DE-cadherin and DN-cadherin regulate the cell motility process of ommatidial rotation. Development 133:3283–3293. , .
- 1996. The Drosophila Serum Response Factor gene is required for the formation of intervein tissue of the wing and is allelic to blistered. Development 122:2589–2597. , , , , , .
- 1995. Changing distributions of extracellular matrix components during early wing morphogenesis in Drosophila. Dev Biol 168:150–165. , , .
- 2009. N- and E-cadherins in Xenopus are specifically required in the neural and non-neural ectoderm, respectively, for F-actin assembly and morphogenetic movements. Development 136:1327–1338. , , , , .
- 2010. A comprehensive map of insulator elements for the Drosophila genome. PLoS Genet 6:e1000814. , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Direct and long-range action of a DPP morphogen gradient. Cell 85:357–368. , , , .
- 1998. Coordination of growth and cell division in the Drosophila wing. Cell 93:1183–1193. , , , .
- 2012. Analysis of the transcriptomes downstream of Eyeless and the Hedgehog, Decapentaplegic and Notch signaling pathways in Drosophila melanogaster. PLoS One 7:e44583. , , , , .
- 1988. Expressed recombinant cadherins mediate cell sorting in model systems. Cell 54:993–1001. , , .
- 2007. Egfr/Ras signaling regulates DE-cadherin/Shotgun localization to control vein morphogenesis in the Drosophila wing. Dev Biol 311:25–39. , , , , .
- 2012. Combinatorial control of temporal gene expression in the Drosophila wing by enhancers and core promoters. BMC Genomics 13:498. , , , , , .
- 2001. Real-time imaging of cell-cell adherens junctions reveals that Drosophila mesoderm invagination begins with two phases of apical constriction of cells. J Cell Sci 114:493–501. , .
- 2011. Cooperative regulation of growth by Yorkie and Mad through bantam. Dev Cell 20:109–122. , .
- 2013. Genome-wide association of Yorkie with chromatin and chromatin-remodeling complexes. Cell Rep 3:309–318. , , , , , , .
- 2011. Analysis and recognition of the GAGA transcription factor binding sites in Drosophila genes. Comput Biol Chem 35:363–370. , , , .
- 2004. A simple molecular complex mediates widespread BMP-induced repression during Drosophila development. Dev Cell 7:229–240. , , , , .
- 2003. A new genetic locus controlling growth and proliferation in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics 164:1015–1025. , , , .
- 2005. Tip of another iceberg: Drosophila serpins. Trends Cell Biol 15:659–665. .
- 1997. Drosophila Jun kinase regulates expression of decapentaplegic via the ETS-domain protein Aop and the AP-1 transcription factor DJun during dorsal closure. Genes Dev 11:1717–1727. , .
- 2008. Morphogen control of wing growth through the Fat signaling pathway. Dev Cell 15:309–321. , , .
- 1987. Changing spatial patterns of DNA replication in the developing wing of Drosophila. Dev Biol 123:145–153. , .
- 2008. The BMP-binding protein Crossveinless 2 is a short-range, concentration-dependent, biphasic modulator of BMP signaling in Drosophila. Dev Cell 14:940–953. , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Regulation of decapentaplegic expression during Drosophila wing veins pupal development. Mech Dev 123:241–251. , .
- 1982. Decapentaplegic: a gene complex affecting morphogenesis in Drosophila melanogaster. Cell 28:451–461. , , .
- 1993. The Drosophila rhomboid gene mediates the localized formation of wing veins and interacts genetically with components of the EGF-R signaling pathway. Genes Dev 7:961–973. , , .
- 2011. Feedback regulation of Drosophila BMP signaling by the novel extracellular protein larval translucida. Development 138:715–724. , , , , , .
- 1997. Daughters against dpp modulates dpp organizing activity in Drosophila wing development. Nature 389:627–631. , , , , , .
- 2008. Conserved functions of the pRB and E2F families. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol 9:713–724. , .
- 2003. Genomewide analysis of Drosophila GAGA factor target genes reveals context-dependent DNA binding. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 100:2580–2585. , , .
- 2010. Control of Dpp morphogen signalling by a secreted feedback regulator. Nat Cell Biol 12:611–617. , , , , , , .
- 2011a. Understanding morphogenetic growth control: lessons from flies. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol 12:594–604. , , , .
- 2011b. Dynamics of Dpp signaling and proliferation control. Science 331:1154–1159. , , , , , , .
- 2010. A conserved activation element in BMP signaling during Drosophila development. Nat Struct Mol Biol 17:69–76. , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Smad affinity can direct distinct readouts of the embryonic extracellular Dpp gradient in Drosophila. Curr Biol 14:1550–1558. , , .
- 1998. decapentaplegic is essential for the maintenance and division of germline stem cells in the Drosophila ovary. Cell 94:251–260. , .
- 2008. Multiple modular promoter elements drive graded brinker expression in response to the Dpp morphogen gradient. Development 135:2183–2192. , , , , , .