Special Issue Research Article
AP-2α is required after lens vesicle formation to maintain lens integrity
Version of Record online: 30 APR 2014
Copyright © 2014 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Special Issue: Sensory Systems: Development, Disease & Regeneration
Volume 243, Issue 10, pages 1298–1309, October 2014
How to Cite
Kerr, C. L., Zaveri, M. A., Robinson, M. L., Williams, T. and West-Mays, J. A. (2014), AP-2α is required after lens vesicle formation to maintain lens integrity. Dev. Dyn., 243: 1298–1309. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.24141
- Issue online: 25 SEP 2014
- Version of Record online: 30 APR 2014
- Accepted manuscript online: 18 APR 2014 04:20AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 15 APR 2014
- Manuscript Revised: 14 APR 2014
- Manuscript Received: 6 FEB 2014
- Foundation Fighting Blindness, Canada
- NSERC Vanier CGS Scholarship
- 2007. Crystallins in the eye: function and pathology. Prog Retin Eye Res 26:78–98. .
- 2000. Pax6 activity in the lens primordium is required for lens formation and for correct placement of a single retina in the eye. Genes Dev 14:2701–2711. , , , .
- 2012. Overlapping expression patterns and redundant roles for AP-2 transcription factors in the developing mammalian retina. Dev Dyn 241:814–829. , , , , , , .
- 2007. Conditional deletion of activating protein 2alpha (AP-2alpha) in the developing retina demonstrates non-cell-autonomous roles for AP-2alpha in optic cup development. Mol Cell Biol 27:7497–7510. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Changes in adhesion complexes define stages in the differentiation of lens fiber cells. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 42:727–734. , , , , .
- 2000. Localization of apical epithelial determinants by the basolateral PDZ protein Scribble. Nature 403:676–680. , .
- 2004. Wnt1-Cre-mediated deletion of AP-2alpha causes multiple neural crest-related defects. Dev Biol 267:135–152. , , , , .
- 2002. Requirement for AP-2alpha in cardiac outflow tract morphogenesis. Mech Dev 110:139–149. , , , , .
- 2000. Forkhead Foxe3 maps to the dysgenetic lens locus and is critical in lens development and differentiation. Genesis 27:81–93. , , .
- 2008. Differential requirement for beta-catenin in epithelial and fiber cells during lens development. Dev Biol 321:420–433. , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. The molecular basis of defective lens development in the Iberian mole. BMC Biol 6:44. , , .
- 1986. Immunocytochemical localization of the 27K beta-crystallin polypeptide in the mouse lens during development using a specific monoclonal antibody: implications for cataract formation in the Philly mouse. Dev Biol 113:104–109. , , .
- 2001. Early eye development in vertebrates. Annu Rev Cell Dev Biol 17:255–296. , .
- 2014. Interactions between lens epithelial and fiber cells reveal an intrinsic self-assembly mechanism. Dev Biol 385:291–303. , , , , , .
- 2012. A family with branchio-oculo-facial syndrome with primarily ocular involvement associated with mutation of the TFAP2A gene. Ophthal Genet 33:100–106. , , , .
- 1998. Dual roles for Pax-6: a transcriptional repressor of lens fiber cell-specific beta-crystallin genes. Mol Cell Biol 18:5579–5586. , , , .
- 2004. Ectopic Pax6 expression disturbs lens fiber cell differentiation. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 45:3589–3598. , , , , , , .
- 2005. The AP-2 family of transcription factors. Genome Biol 6:246. , , , , .
- 2003. Cloning and characterization of the mouse AP-2 epsilon gene: a novel family member expressed in the developing olfactory bulb. Mol Cell Neurosci 24:460–475. , .
- 2000. N-cadherin function is required for differentiation-dependent cytoskeletal reorganization in lens cells in vitro. Exp Cell Res 256:237–247. , , , .
- 1994. Deletion of a DNA polymerase beta gene segment in T cells using cell type-specific gene targeting. Science 265:103–106. , , , , .
- 1994. TGF-beta 1 induces lens cells to accumulate alpha-smooth muscle actin, a marker for subcapsular cataracts. Curr Eye Res 13:885–890. , , , .
- 2000. Regulatory roles of AP-2 transcription factors in vertebrate development, apoptosis and cell-cycle control. Gene 260:1–12. , , , .
- 2006. A transgenic mouse model for human autosomal dominant cataract. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 47:2036–2044. , , .
- 2011. The mechanism of lens placode formation: a case of matrix-mediated morphogenesis. Dev Biol 355:32–42. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Collagen IV in the developing lens capsule. Matrix Biol 21:415–423. , , .
- 2012. Activation of the Hedgehog signaling pathway in the developing lens stimulates ectopic FoxE3 expression and disruption in fiber cell differentiation. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 53:3316–3330. , , , .
- 2011. In situ detection of apoptosis by the TUNEL assay: an overview of techniques. Methods Mol Biol 682:3–13. .
- 2005. Growth factor regulation of lens development. Dev Biol 280:1–14. , .
- 2004. Aberrant lens fiber differentiation in anterior subcapsular cataract formation: a process dependent on reduced levels of Pax6. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 45:1946–1953. , , , .
- 2004. Development of the ocular lens. New York: Cambridge. ,
- 2011. Rac1 GTPase-deficient mouse lens exhibits defects in shape, suture formation, fiber cell migration and survival. Dev Biol 360:30–43. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Severe defects in proliferation and differentiation of lens cells in Foxe3 null mice. Mol Cell Biol 25:8854–8863. , , , , , .
- 2008. TFAP2A mutations result in branchio-oculo-facial syndrome. Am J Hum Genet 82:1171–1177. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Unique contribution of heat shock transcription factor 4 in ocular lens development and fiber cell differentiation. Genesis 40:205–217. , , , .
- 2003. Lens connexins alpha3Cx46 and alpha8Cx50 interact with zonula occludens protein-1 (ZO-1). Mol Biol Cell 14:2470–2481. , , , , , , .
- 2010. Pax6-dependent Shroom3 expression regulates apical constriction during lens placode invagination. Development 137:405–415. , , , , , , .
- 2008. Cell autonomous roles for AP-2alpha in lens vesicle separation and maintenance of the lens epithelial cell phenotype. Dev Dyn 237:602–617. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Co-operative roles for E-cadherin and N-cadherin during lens vesicle separation and lens epithelial cell survival. Dev Biol 326:403–417. , , , , , .
- 2009. Cell-autonomous requirements for Dlg-1 for lens epithelial cell structure and fiber cell morphogenesis. Dev Dyn 238:2292–2308. , , , , , .
- 2005. Expression of alphasmooth muscle actin in lens epithelia from human donors and cataract patients. Exp Eye Res 81:539–550. , , , .
- 1990. Appearance of alpha-smooth muscle actin in human eye lens cells of anterior capsular cataract and in cultured bovine lens-forming cells. Differentiation 43:115–122. , , , , , .
- 2009. Pax6 is essential for lens fiber cell differentiation. Development 136:2567–2578. , , , , , .
- 2006. Tight junctions and cell polarity. Annu Rev Cell Dev Biol 22:207–235. , , .
- 2001. A temperature-sensitive mutation of Crygs in the murine Opj cataract. J Biol Chem 276:9308–9315. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Transcription factors Pax6 and AP-2alpha interact to coordinate corneal epithelial repair by controlling expression of matrix metalloproteinase gelatinase B. Mol Cell Biol 24:245–257. , , , , .
- 2009. Stage-dependent modes of Pax6-Sox2 epistasis regulate lens development and eye morphogenesis. Development 136:2977–2985. , , , , .
- 1997. A new hereditary cataract mouse with lens rupture. Lab Anim 31:248–253. , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Lens-specific expression of transforming growth factor beta1 in transgenic mice causes anterior subcapsular cataracts. J Clin Invest 101:625–634. , , .
- 2000. Dosage requirement and allelic expression of PAX6 during lens placode formation. Development 127:5439–5448. , .
- 2004. Expression and regulation of alpha-, beta-, and gamma-crystallins in mammalian lens epithelial cells. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 45:3608–3619. , , , .
- 2002. Ectopic expression of AP-2alpha transcription factor in the lens disrupts fiber cell differentiation. Dev Biol 245:13–27. , , , , .
- 2003. Positive influence of AP-2alpha transcription factor on cadherin gene expression and differentiation of the ocular surface. Differentiation 71:206–216. , , , , , , .
- 1999. AP-2alpha transcription factor is required for early morphogenesis of the lens vesicle. Dev Biol 206:46–62. , , , , , , .
- 2011. Lens fibre cell differentiation and organelle loss: many paths lead to clarity. Philos Trans R Soc Lond 366:1219–1233. .
- 2002. Systematic analysis of E-, N- and P-cadherin expression in mouse eye development. Exp Eye Res 74:753–760. , , .
- 1996. Neural tube, skeletal and body wall defects in mice lacking transcription factor AP-2. Nature 381:238–241. , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Insertion of a Pax6 consensus binding site into the alphaA-crystallin promoter acts as a lens epithelial cell enhancer in transgenic mice. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 45:1930–1939. , , , , .