Identification of novel micrornas in Xenopus laevis metaphase ii arrested eggs
Article first published online: 16 FEB 2012
Copyright © 2012 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Special Issue: Xenopus Special Issue
Volume 50, Issue 3, pages 286–299, March 2012
How to Cite
Ambady, S., Wu, Z. and Dominko, T. (2012), Identification of novel micrornas in Xenopus laevis metaphase ii arrested eggs. Genesis, 50: 286–299. doi: 10.1002/dvg.22010
- Issue published online: 2 MAR 2012
- Article first published online: 16 FEB 2012
- Accepted manuscript online: 5 JAN 2012 07:19AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 29 DEC 2011
- Manuscript Revised: 26 DEC 2011
- Manuscript Received: 13 SEP 2011
- NIH. Grant Number: R01GM085456
- 2008. miR-519 reduces cell proliferation by lowering RNA-binding protein HuR levels. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 105: 20297–20302. , , , .
- 2003. Genes duplicated by polyploidy show unequal contributions to the transcriptome and organ-specific reciprocal silencing. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 100: 4649–4654. , , , .
- 2005. Differential nuclear remodeling of mammalian somatic cells by Xenopus laevis oocyte and egg cytoplasm. Exp Cell Res 307: 131–141. , , , .
- 2005. Clustering and conservation patterns of human microRNAs. Nucleic Acids Res 33: 2697–2706. , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Abundant and dynamically expressed miRNAs, piRNAs, and other small RNAs in the vertebrate Xenopus tropicalis. Genome Res 19: 1766–1775. , , , , .
- 2005. Microarray profiling of microRNAs reveals frequent coexpression with neighboring miRNAs and host genes. Rna 11: 241–247. , .
- 1993. Preventing re-replication of DNA in a single cell cycle: Evidence for a replication licensing factor. J Cell Biol 122: 993–1002. .
- 1986. Initiation of DNA replication in nuclei and purified DNA by a cell-free extract of Xenopus eggs. Cell 47: 577–587. , .
- 2010. Serum microRNAs as non-invasive biomarkers for cancer. Mol Cancer 9: 306. , , , .
- 2003. Nuclei of adult mammalian somatic cells are directly reprogrammed to oct-4 stem cell gene expression by amphibian oocytes. Curr Biol 13: 1206–1213. , , , .
- 1993. Xenopus Laevis as a Model Organism. Systematic Biology 42: 476–507. , .
- 2009. Microrna-221 and microrna-222 modulate differentiation and maturation of skeletal muscle cells. PLoS One 4: e7607. , , , , , , .
- 2006. The role of microRNA-1 and microRNA-133 in skeletal muscle proliferation and differentiation. Nat Genet 38: 228–233. , , , , , , , .
- 2011. Identification of ten serum microRNAs from a genome-wide serum microRNA expression profile as novel non-invasive biomarkers for non-small cell lung cancer diagnosis. Int J Cancer. DOI: 10.1002/ijc.26177. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. miR-145 and miR-143 regulate smooth muscle cell fate and plasticity. Nature 460: 705–710. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. MicroRNA identification in plasma and serum: A new tool to diagnose and monitor diseases. Expert Opin Biol Ther 9: 703–711. , .
- 1996. Remodeling somatic nuclei in Xenopus laevis egg extracts: Molecular mechanisms for the selective release of histones H1 and H1(0) from chromatin and the acquisition of transcriptional competence. EMBO J 15: 5897–5906. , .
- 2004. Specificity of microRNA target selection in translational repression. Genes Dev 18: 504–511. , .
- 2007. Ancestry influences the fate of duplicated genes millions of years after polyploidization of clawed frogs (Xenopus). Genetics 176: 1119–1130. .
- 2010. Dynamic isomiR regulation in Drosophila development. RNA 16: 1881–1888. , , .
- 2009. MicroRNAs potentiate neural development. Neuron 64: 303–309. , , .
- 1999. Preservation of duplicate genes by complementary, degenerative mutations. Genetics 151: 1531–1545. , , , , , .
- 2007. MicroRNA targeting specificity in mammals: Determinants beyond seed pairing. Mol Cell 27: 91–105. , , , , , .
- 2005. Nuclear reprogramming by xenopus oocytes. Novartis Found Symp 265: 129–136; discussion 136–141,204–111. , , .
- 1958. Sexually mature individuals of Xenopus laevis from the transplantation of single somatic nuclei. Nature 182: 64–65. , , .
- 2004. Nuclear reprogramming of human somatic cells by xenopus egg extract requires BRG1. Curr Biol 14: 1475–1480. , , , .
- 2007. Accelerated gene evolution and subfunctionalization in the pseudotetraploid frog Xenopus laevis. BMC Biol 5: 31. , , , , , .
- 2000. Active remodeling of somatic nuclei in egg cytoplasm by the nucleosomal ATPase ISWI. Science 289: 2360–2362. , , , , .
- 2009. Biogenesis of small RNAs in animals. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol 10: 126–139. , , .
- 2011. miRBase: Integrating microRNA annotation and deep-sequencing data. Nucleic Acids Res 39: D152–D157. , .
- 2010. Analysis of circulating microRNA biomarkers in plasma and serum using quantitative reverse transcription-PCR (qRT-PCR). Methods 50: 298–301. , , , .
- 2008. Detection of elevated levels of tumour-associated microRNAs in serum of patients with diffuse large B-cell lymphoma. Br J Haematol 141: 672–675. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Complexity of the microRNA repertoire revealed by next-generation sequencing. RNA 16: 2170–2180. , , , , , , .
- 2008. The evolution and functional diversification of animal microRNA genes. Cell Res 18: 985–996. , , , , , .
- 1989. Mitotic control by metaphase-promoting factor and cdc proteins. J Cell Sci 92(Pt 2): 131–135. .
- 1983a. Formation in vitro of sperm pronuclei and mitotic chromosomes induced by amphibian ooplasmic components. Science 220: 719–721. , .
- 1983b. The germinal vesicle material required for sperm pronuclear formation is located in the soluble fraction of egg cytoplasm. Exp Cell Res 148: 481–491. , .
- 2000. The probability of duplicate gene preservation by subfunctionalization. Genetics 154: 459–473. , .
- 2011. Circulating microRNAs (miRNA) in serum of patients with prostate cancer. Urology 77: 1265.e1269–1216. , , , , , .
- 2007. Prediction of microRNA targets. Drug Discov Today 12: 452–458. , .
- 2008. Testis-derived microRNA profiles of African clawed frogs (Xenopus) and their sterile hybrids. Genomics 91: 158–164. , .
- 2007. Reprogramming events of mammalian somatic cells induced by Xenopus laevis egg extracts. Mol Reprod Dev 74: 1268–1277. , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Sequencing and analysis of 10,967 full-length cDNA clones from Xenopus laevis and Xenopus tropicalis reveals post-tetraploidization transcriptome remodeling. Genome Res 16: 796–803. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Application of massively parallel sequencing to microRNA profiling and discovery in human embryonic stem cells. Genome Res 18: 610–621. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2011. Posttranscriptional activation of gene expression in Xenopus laevis oocytes by microRNA-protein complexes (microRNPs). Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 108: 8281–8286. , , , .
- 2008. Endogenous small interfering RNAs in animals. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol 9: 673–678. , .
- 2010. Genomic organization of microRNAs. J Cell Physiol 222: 540–545. , .
- 2002. The evolution of gene duplicates. Adv Genet 46: 451–483. , .
- 2008. Preferential subfunctionalization of slow-evolving genes after allopolyploidization in Xenopus laevis. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 105: 8333–8338. , .
- 2009. Emerging role of microRNAs in diagnosis and treatment of various diseases including ovarian cancer. J Ovarian Res 2: 11. , , .
- 2008. High-throughput sequencing of Medicago truncatula short RNAs identifies eight new miRNA families. BMC Genomics 9: 593. , , , , , , .
- 2008. Xenopus microRNA genes are predominantly located within introns and are differentially expressed in adult frog tissues via post-transcriptional regulation. Genome Res 18: 104–112. , .
- 2008. MicroRNA-134 modulates the differentiation of mouse embryonic stem cells, where it causes post-transcriptional attenuation of Nanog and LRH1. Stem Cells 26: 17–29. , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Control of translation and mRNA degradation by miRNAs and siRNAs. Genes Dev 20: 515–524. , , , .
- 2008. Expression of microRNAs during embryonic development of Xenopus tropicalis. Gene Expr Patterns 8: 452–456. , .
- 2005. Stage-specific expression of microRNAs during Xenopus development. FEBS Lett 579: 318–324. , , , , , , .
- 2010. Current and emerging biomarkers in breast cancer: Prognosis and prediction. Endocr Relat Cancer 17: R245–262. , .
- 2010. Serum microRNAs as powerful cancer biomarkers. Biochim Biophys Acta 1806: 200–207. , .
- 2011. Mapping gene expression in two Xenopus species: Evolutionary constraints and developmental flexibility. Dev Cell 20: 483–496. , , , .
- 2009. MicroRNA-mediated switching of chromatin-remodelling complexes in neural development. Nature 460: 642–646. , , , .
- 2011. MicroRNA-mediated conversion of human fibroblasts to neurons. Nature 476: 228–231. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Circulating microRNAs: A novel class of biomarkers to diagnose and monitor human cancers. Med Res Rev. DOI: 10.1002/med.20215. , .