Culture and eating disorders classification
Article first published online: 23 JUL 2007
Copyright © 2007 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
International Journal of Eating Disorders
Special Issue: International Journal of Eating Disorders Special Supplement on Diagnosis and Classification
Volume 40, Issue S3, pages S111–S116, November 2007
How to Cite
Becker, A. E. (2007), Culture and eating disorders classification. Int. J. Eat. Disord., 40: S111–S116. doi: 10.1002/eat.20435
- Issue published online: 26 SEP 2007
- Article first published online: 23 JUL 2007
- Manuscript Accepted: 4 JUN 2007
- 1Patients and Healers in the Context of Culture. Berkeley: University of California Press, 1980, pp. 104–118..
- 3Beyond the funhouse mirrors. In: KupferDJ,First, MB,RegierDA, editors. A Research Agenda for DSM-V. Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Association, 2002., , , , , .
- 5Methodological challenges in cross-cultural mental health research. Transcult Psychiatry 1997; 34: 163–184., , .
- 6Epidemiology. In: SadockBJ,SadockVA, editors. Kaplan & Sadock's Comprehensive Textbook of Psychiatry, 7th ed., Vol. 1. Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins, 2000, pp. 500–522., .
- 7The Illness Narratives: Suffering, Healing, and the Human Condition. New York: Basic Books, 1988..
- 9American Psychiatric Association. Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, 4th ed., text revision. Arlington, VA: American Psychiatric Association, 2000.
- 10Body, Self, and Society: The View from Fiji. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1995..
- 24The pursuit of slenderness and addiction to self control. In: WeiningerJ,BriggsGM, eds. Nutrition Update, Vol. 2. New York: John Wiley, 1985..
- 31Eating disorders in Asian populations: A critique of current approaches to the study of culture, ethnicity, and eating disorders. Am J Orthopsychiatry 2005; 533–574., , .
- 32Eating disorders in African Americans and Caribbean Blacks: Findings from the National Survey of American Life. Paper presented at NIMH Workshop on the Classification of Eating Disorders, National Institute of Mental Health, Bethesda, MD June 29, 2006., , , .
- 33GAP Committee on Cultural Psychiatry. The inclusion of race, culture, and psychiatry in current psychiatric literature. Presented at the American Psychiatric Association Meeting, 2005., , , , , , and the
- 34Socio-cultural issues and eating disorders. In: WonderlichS,de ZwaanM,SteigerH,MitchellJ, editors. Annual Review of Eating Disorders. Chicago, IL: Academy for Eating Disorders, 2006, pp. 35–63., .
- 38Explanatory Model Interview Catalogue (EMIC): Framework for comparative study of illness. Transcult Psychiatry 1997; 34: 235–263..
- 43Culture, diagnosis and comorbidity. Cult Med Psychiatry 1993; 16: 427–446..
- 44Eating disorders across cultures. In: ThompsonJK,editor. Handbook of Eating Disorders and Obesity. Wiley, 2003, pp. 565–589., .