Financial disclosure and conflict of interest: Susan L. McElroy, MD, is employed by the University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, University of Cincinnati Physicians, and the Lindner Center of HOPE. Dr. McElroy is a consultant to, or member of the scientific advisory boards of: Eli Lilly and Company, Schering-Plough. Dr. McElroy is a principal or co-investigator on research studies sponsored by: Abbott Laboratories, Alkermes, AstraZeneca, Bristol-Myers Squibb, Cephalon, Eli Lilly and Company, Forest Labs, GalaxoSmith Kline, Jazz Pharmaceuticals, Inc., Marriott Foundation, National Institute of Mental Health, Orexigen Therapeutics, Inc., Shire, Takeda Pharmaceutical Company Limited. Patents: Dr. Susan L. McElroy is also inventor on United States Patent No. 6,323,236 B2, Use of Sulfamate Derivatives for Treating Impulse Control Disorders, and, along with the patent's assignee, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH, has received payments from Johnson & Johnson Pharmaceutical Research & Development, L.L.C., which has exclusive rights under the patent.
Article first published online: 15 NOV 2010
Copyright © 2010 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
International Journal of Eating Disorders
Volume 44, Issue 1, pages 81–90, January 2011
How to Cite
McElroy, S. L., Guerdjikova, A. I., Winstanley, E. L., O'Melia, A. M., Mori, N., McCoy, J., Keck, P. E. and Hudson, J. I. (2011), Acamprosate in the treatment of binge eating disorder: A placebo-controlled trial. Int. J. Eat. Disord., 44: 81–90. doi: 10.1002/eat.20876
Dr. Keck is employed by the University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, University of Cincinnati Physicians, and the Lindner Center of HOPE. Dr. Keck is presently or has been in the past year a principal or coinvestigator on research studies sponsored by: Alkermes, AstraZeneca, Cephalon, GlaxoSmithKline, Eli Lilly and Company, Epi-Q, Inc., Jazz Pharmaceuticals, Marriott Foundation, National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH), Orexigen, Pfizer, Inc., Shire. Dr. Keck has been reimbursed for consulting to, in the past year: 2010: Sepracor, Inc., Medco; 2009: GlaxoSmithKline, Schering Plough, BristolMyersSquibb, Pfizer, QuantiaMD. Patents: Dr. Paul E. Keck, Jr. is a co inventor on United States Patent No. 6,387,956: Shapira NA, Goldsmith TD, Keck, PE Jr. (University of Cincinnati) Methods of treating obsessive-compulsive spectrum disorder comprises the step of administering an effective amount of tramadol to an individual. Filed March 25, 1999; approved May 14, 2002. Dr. Keck has received no financial gain from this patent.
Dr. Hudson has been a consultant for Eli Lilly, Pfizer, and Alkermes; and has received grant support from Eli Lilly, Otsuka, and Ortho-McNeil Janssen Scientific Affairs. Drs. O'Melia, Winstanley and Guerdjikova and Mrs. Mori and McCoy have no conflicts of interest to disclose.
Supported by Forest Labs.
- Issue published online: 8 DEC 2010
- Article first published online: 15 NOV 2010
- Manuscript Accepted: 10 AUG 2010
This article has been cited by:
- 1Binge-eating disorder diagnosis and treatment: a recap in front of DSM-5, BMC Psychiatry, 2015, 15, 1, , , ,
- 2Pharmacological Approaches to the Management of Binge Eating Disorder, Drugs, 2015, 75, 1, 9, , , ,
- 3Pharmacological treatment of binge eating disorder: update review and synthesis, Expert Opinion on Pharmacotherapy, 2015, 16, 10, 1463, ,
- 4Pharmacotherapy of Binge-Eating Disorder, Journal of Addiction Medicine, 2015, 9, 1, 1, , , , , ,
- 5Characterization of eating patterns among individuals with eating disorders: What is the state of the plate?, Physiology & Behavior, 2014, 134, 92, ,
- 6Current and emerging drug treatments for binge eating disorder, Expert Opinion on Emerging Drugs, 2014, 19, 1, 99, ,
- 7How Relevant is Food Craving to Obesity and Its Treatment?, Frontiers in Psychiatry, 2014, 5,, ,
- 11Treatment of Binge Eating Disorder, Current Treatment Options in Psychiatry, 2014, 1, 4, 307,
- 12The overlap between binge eating disorder and substance use disorders: Diagnosis and neurobiology, Journal of Behavioral Addictions, 2013, 2, 4, 191, , ,
- 13Therapeutic options for binge eating disorder, Eating and Weight Disorders - Studies on Anorexia, Bulimia and Obesity, 2013, 18, 1, 3, , , , , , ,
- 14Wann ist ergänzende Therapie mit Psychopharmaka angezeigt?, NeuroTransmitter, 2013, 24, 11, 51, , ,
- 15Current pharmacotherapy options for bulimia nervosa and binge eating disorder, Expert Opinion on Pharmacotherapy, 2012, 13, 14, 2015, , , ,
- 16Psychopharmacologic Treatment of Obesity and Eating Disorders in Children and Adolescents, Child and Adolescent Psychiatric Clinics of North America, 2012, 21, 4, 831, ,