Clinical Case Report
Closing the “know-do” gap: training public health professionals in eating disorders prevention via case-method teaching
Article first published online: 9 MAY 2013
Copyright © 2013 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
International Journal of Eating Disorders
Special Issue: Transformational Science, Transformational Practice: A Special Issue Dedicated to Michael Strober, Editor-In-Chief from 1983 to 2012.
Volume 46, Issue 5, pages 533–537, July 2013
How to Cite
Austin, S. B. and Sonneville, K. R. (2013), Closing the “know-do” gap: training public health professionals in eating disorders prevention via case-method teaching. Int. J. Eat. Disord., 46: 533–537. doi: 10.1002/eat.22111
- Issue published online: 9 MAY 2013
- Article first published online: 9 MAY 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 6 DEC 2012
- Ellen Feldberg Gordon Fund for Eating Disorders Research and. Grant Numbers: T71-MC-00009, T71-MC00001
- Maternal and Child Health Bureau, Health Resources and Services Administration, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
- 3Anonymous. Is it time for a public-health approach to eating disorders? Lancet 2007; 369: 1142.
- 5The blind spot in the drive for childhood obesity prevention: Bringing eating disorders prevention into focus as a public health priority. Am J Public Health 2011; 101: 1–4..
- 7Teaching and Writing Case Studies: A Practical Guide, 3rd ed. Wharley End, U.K.: European Case Clearinghouse, 2006..
- 8Case study teaching. In: Burkist W,Groccia JE,Wehlburg C, editors. Evidence-Based Teaching. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass, Inc., 2011, p. 31–40..
- 9Scientific Teaching. New York: W.H. Freeman, 2007., , .
- 13Revisiting the cone of learning—Is it a reliable way to link instruction method with knowledge recall? J College Sci Teaching 2007; 37: 14–17..
- 14Learning as a generative process. Educ Psychol 2010; 45: 40–45..
- 15Office of Communications, National Cancer Institute. Making health communication programs work: A planner's guide. Bethesda, MD National Cancer Institute, 1989. Available at: www.cancer.gov/pinkbook. Last accessed on November 21, 2012.
- 16U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. The Surgeon General's call to action to prevent and decrease overweight and obesity. Rockville, MD: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Public Health Service, Office of the Surgeon General, 2001.
- 17Fighting obesity or obese persons? Public perceptions of obesity-related health messages. Int J Obes. 2012 (Epub ahead of print)., , .
- 18Guide to analyzing the cost-effectiveness of community public health prevention approaches. Washington, D.C., 2006. Available at: http://aspe.hhs.gov/health/reports/06/cphpa/report.pdf. Last accessed on November 21, 2012., , ,Finkelstein EA, Prabhu M, Blitstein JL, Evans WD, Renaud JM.
- 19The economic effect of Planet Health on preventing eating disorders. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 2011; 165: 756–762., , .
- 22National Association of State Boards of Education. State school health policy database. Available at:http://nasbe.org/healthy_schools/hs/bytopics.php?topicid=4100&catExpand=acdnbtm_catD. Last accessed on October 30, 2012.