Are improvements in shame and self-compassion early in eating disorders treatment associated with better patient outcomes?
Version of Record online: 1 OCT 2013
Copyright © 2013 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
International Journal of Eating Disorders
Volume 47, Issue 1, pages 54–64, January 2014
How to Cite
Kelly, A. C., Carter, J. C. and Borairi, S. (2014), Are improvements in shame and self-compassion early in eating disorders treatment associated with better patient outcomes?. Int. J. Eat. Disord., 47: 54–64. doi: 10.1002/eat.22196
- Issue online: 10 DEC 2013
- Version of Record online: 1 OCT 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 1 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 25 AUG 2013
- Manuscript Received: 5 JUN 2013
- Ontario Mental Health Foundation
- 1Cognitive Behavior Therapy and Eating Disorders. Guilford Publication, 2008..
- 3Gilbert P, editor. Compassion: Conceptualisations, Research, and Use in Psychotherapy. London: Routledge, 2005.
- 4The compassionate mind: A new approach to life's challenges. New Harbinger Publications, London, 2010..
- 12Inner Strengths, Contemporary Psychotherapy and Hypnosis for Ego Strengthening. New Jersey: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, 1999., .
- 14The Emotional Brain. London: Weidenfeld and Nicolson, 1998..
- 15Affective Neuroscience. London: Oxford University Press, 1998..
- 19Development and validation of a scale to measure self-compassion. Self and Identity 2003;2:223–250..
- 20What is shame. In P. Gilbert, & B. Andrews (Eds.), Shame: interpersonal behaviour, psychopathology and culture, Oxford University Press, New York (1998), pp. 3–38..
- 21Shame and Guilt. New York: Guilford Press, 2002., .
- 22Eating disorders, shame and pride: A cognitive-behavioural functional analysis. In Gilbert P, Miles J, editors. Body Shame: Conceptualisation, Research and Treatment. New York: Brunner-Routledge, 2002, pp. 219–255., .
- 29Internalised Shame Scale Professional Manual. Wisconsin: Channel Press, 1994..
- 37A preliminary investigation of self-compassion training in binge eating disorder, in preparation., .
- 38The eating disorder examination, 12th ed. In Fairburn CG, Wilson GT, editors. Binge Eating: Nature, Assessment and Treatment. New York: Guilford Press, 1993, pp. 317–360., .
- 39Inpatient and day hospital treatment for anorexia nervosa. The treatment of eating disorders: A clinical handbook 2010;198–211., , , , , .
- 45Applied Longitudinal Data Analysis: Modeling Change and Event Occurrence: Modeling Change and Event Occurrence. USA: Oxford University Press, 2003., .
- 48The evolution of shame as a marker for relationship security: A biopsychosocial approach. In Tracy JL, Robins RW, Tangney JP, editors. The Self-conscious Emotions: Theory and Research. New York: Guilford, 2007..
- 50The Compassionate Mind: A New Approach to Facing the Challenges of Life. London: Constable Robinson, 2009..