Supported by 141054, 265240, 263278, 264146, and 259764 from Academy of Finland.
Association between eating disorders and migraine may be explained by major depression
Article first published online: 29 MAY 2014
© 2014 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
International Journal of Eating Disorders
Volume 47, Issue 8, pages 884–887, December 2014
How to Cite
Mustelin, L., Raevuori, A., Kaprio, J. and Keski-Rahkonen, A. (2014), Association between eating disorders and migraine may be explained by major depression. Int. J. Eat. Disord., 47: 884–887. doi: 10.1002/eat.22311
Conflict of interest: The authors declare no conflict of interest.
- Issue published online: 19 NOV 2014
- Article first published online: 29 MAY 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 21 MAY 2014
- anorexia nervosa;
- bulimia nervosa;
- major depression;
The association between eating disorders and migraine remains unclear.
We identified women with lifetime diagnoses of anorexia nervosa (AN) (N = 55) and bulimia nervosa (BN) (N = 60) and their co-twins from the FinnTwin16 cohort born in 1975–1979 (N = 2,825 women). Eating disorder and major depressive disorder (MDD) diagnoses were obtained from clinical interviews and data on migraine by self-report questionnaire. The women with eating disorders were compared with their unaffected co-twins and with unrelated women from the same birth cohorts.
The prevalence of migraine was 12% in the general female population, but 22% for both AN and BN (odds ratio 2.0, p = .04). The prevalence of MDD was high in women with an eating disorder (42%). MDD was strongly associated with migraine (odds ratio 3.0, p < .0001) and explained the association between eating disorders and migraine. The highest migraine prevalence (36%) was found in women with both an eating disorder and MDD. Pairwise twin analyses also supported the clustering of migraine, MDD and eating disorders.
Women with a lifetime diagnosis of an eating disorder were twice as likely to report a history of migraine as unrelated women from the same cohort; this relationship was explained by comorbid MDD. © 2014 Wiley Periodicals, Inc. (Int J Eat Disord 2014; 47:884–887)