Overview of Reviews
Treatment of acute gastroenteritis in children: an overview of systematic reviews of interventions commonly used in developed countries
Article first published online: 12 JUL 2013
Copyright © 2013 The Cochrane Collaboration. Published by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Evidence-Based Child Health: A Cochrane Review Journal
Volume 8, Issue 4, pages 1123–1137, July 2013
How to Cite
Freedman, S. B., Ali, S., Oleszczuk, M., Gouin, S. and Hartling, L. (2013), Treatment of acute gastroenteritis in children: an overview of systematic reviews of interventions commonly used in developed countries. Evid.-Based Child Health, 8: 1123–1137. doi: 10.1002/ebch.1932
- Issue published online: 12 JUL 2013
- Article first published online: 12 JUL 2013
- Norovirus and medically attended gastroenteritis in U.S. children. N Engl J Med 2013; 368: 1121–1130. , , , , , , et al.
- Global, regional, and national causes of child mortality: an updated systematic analysis for 2010 with time trends since 2000. Lancet 2012; 379: 2151–2161. , , , , , , et al.
- Oral ondansetron administration in emergency departments to children with gastroenteritis: an economic analysis. PLoS Med 2010; 7. , , .
- Diarrhea- and rotavirus-associated hospitalizations among children less than 5 years of age: United States, 1997 and 2000. Pediatrics 2006; 117: 1887–1892. , , , , , , et al.
- Burden and cost of gastroenteritis in a Canadian community. J Food Prot 2006; 69: 651–659. , , , , , , et al.
- Acute diarrheal disease in children: Epidemiology, prevention, and treatment. Infect Dis Clin North Am 2005; 19: 585. .
- Physician variation in test ordering in the management of gastroenteritis in children. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 2003; 157: 978–983. , .
- Prospective assessment of practice pattern variations in the treatment of pediatric gastroenteritis. Pediatrics 2011; 127: E287–E295. , , , , , , et al.
- The treatment of pediatric gastroenteritis: a comparative analysis of pediatric emergency physicians' practice patterns. Acad Emerg Med 2011; 18: 38–45. Epub December 25, 2010. , , , , , .
- Department resources and strategies employed in the treatment of pediatric gastroenteritis. Acad Emerg Med 2013; 20(4): 361–366. , , , .
- Canadian Paediatric Society, Nutrition and Gastroenterology Committee. Oral reahydration therapy and early refeeding in the management of childhood gastroenteritis. Paediatr Child Health 2006; 8: 527–531. , ,
- Centres for Disease Control and Prevention. Managing acute gastroenteritis among children: oral rehydration, maintenance and nutritional therapy. MMWR 2003; 52(No. RR-16): 1–18.
- Oral versus intravenous rehydration for treating dehydration due to gastroenteritis in children. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2006; CD004390. Epub July 21, 2006. , , , , , .
- Antiemetic medications in children with presumed infectious gastroenteritis--pharmacoepidemiology in Europe and Northern America. J Pediatr 2008; 153: 659–662, 662.e1-3. Epub October 3, 2008. , , , , , , et al.
- Oral dimenhydrinate versus placebo in children with gastroenteritis: a randomized controlled trial. Pediatrics 2012; 129: 1050–1055. , , , , .
- Dimenhydrinate in children with infectious gastroenteritis: a prospective RCT. Pediatrics 2009; 124: e622–e632. Epub September 16, 2009. , , , , , , et al.
- Antiemetics for reducing vomiting related to acute gastroenteritis in children and adolescents. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2011; Issue 9. Art. No.: CD005506. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD005506.pub5. , , .
- Use of antiemetic agents in acute gastroenteritis: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 2008; 162: 858–865. Epub September 3, 2008. , , , .
- Emergency department use of oral ondansetron for acute gastroenteritis-related vomiting in infants and children. Paediatr Child Health 2011; 16: 177–182. Epub March 3, 2012. .
- Managing acute gastroenteritis among children: oral rehydration, maintenance, and nutritional therapy. MMWR Recomm Rep 2003; 52: 1–16. Epub November 25, 2003. , , , .
- Probiotics for treating acute infectious diarrhoea. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2010; Issue 11. Art. No.: CD003048. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD003048.pub3. , , , .
- The Nordic Cochrane Centre, The Cochrane Collaboration. Review Manager (RevMan) [computer program] Version 5.1. Copenhagen: The Nordic Cochrane Centre, The Cochrane Collaboration. 2011.
- Saccharomyces boulardii for treating acute gastroenteritis in children: updated meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2009; 30: 960–961. , .
- Meta-analysis: Lactobacillus GG for treating acute diarrhoea in children. [Review] [52 refs]. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2007; 25: 871–881. , , , .
- Meta-analysis: Saccharomyces boulardii for treating acute diarrhoea in children.[Erratum appears in Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2009 Apr; 29(7): 800]. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2007; 25: 257–264. , , .
- Probiotics in the treatment and prevention of acute infectious diarrhea in infants and children: a systematic review of published randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trials. [Review] [37 refs]. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 2001; 33(Suppl 2): S17–S25. , .
- Efficacy of probiotic use in acute diarrhea in children: a meta-analysis. Dig Dis Sci 2002; 47: 2625–2634. , , , , .
- A meta-analysis and systematic review on the effect of probiotics in acute diarrhea. Inflamm Allergy Drug Targets 2012; 11: 3–14. Epub Februrary 9, 2012. , , .
- Lactobacillus reuteri strain ATCC 55730 for the treatment of acute infectious diarrhoea in children: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Pediatr Wspolcz 2008; 10: 32–36. , , .
- Efficacy of probiotics in the treatment and prevention of acute diarrhea - Systematic review. Pediatr Wspolcz 2002; 4: 71–77. , .
- Effectiveness and safety of Saccharomyces boulardii for acute infectious diarrhea. Expert Opin Biol Ther 2012; 12(4): 395–410. , , , , .
- Lactobacillus therapy for acute infectious diarrhea in children: a meta-analysis. Pediatrics 2002; 109: 678–684. , , , .
- Developing a database of published reports of randomised clinical trials in pain research. Pain 1996; 66(2–3): 239–246. Epub 1996/08/01. , , , .
- Cochrane Collaboration. Cochrane Handbook for Systematic Reviews of Interventions, Vol. xxi. Chichester, England; Hoboken, NJ: Wiley-Blackwell; 2008; 649. , ,
- A randomized clinical trial comparing oral ondansetron with placebo in children with vomiting from acute gastroenteritis. Ann Emerg Med 2002; 39: 397–403. Epub March 29, 2002. , , , .
- FDA. FDA Drug Safety Communication: New information regarding QT prolongation with ondansetron (Zofran). Available at: http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/ucm310190.htm [accessed on 6 June 2013].
- Lactobacillus bacteremia associated with probiotic use in a pediatric patient with ulcerative colitis. J Clin Gastroenterol 2013; 47: 437–439 Epub February 22, 2013. , , , .
- Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG bacteremia associated with probiotic use in a child with short gut syndrome. Pediatr Infect Dis J 2005; 24: 278–280 Epub March 8, 2005. , , , , .
- Lactobacillemia in three patients with AIDS. Clin Infect Dis 1995; 21: 1460–1462 Epub December 1, 1995. , , , , , .
- Review article: the management of acute gastroenteritis in children. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2013; 37: 289–303 Epub November 30, 2012. , , , .
- Measurement issues in trials of pediatric acute diarrheal diseases: a systematic review. Pediatrics 2010; 126: e222–e231 Epub June 23, 2010. , , , , .
- Gastroenteritis in Children: Part II. Prevention and Management. Am Fam Physician 2012; 85: 1066–1070. , .
- Effect of probiotics on gastrointestinal symptoms and small intestinal permeability in children with atopic dermatitis. J Pediatr 2004; 145: 612–616. , , , , .
- Use of the QTc prolonging drug ondansetron in children in US emergency departments. Boston, MA: Pediatric Academic Societies; 2012. , , , eds.