Estimation of capture probabilities using generalized estimating equations and mixed effects approaches
Article first published online: 10 MAR 2014
© 2014 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 4, Issue 7, pages 1158–1165, April 2014
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2014; 4(7):1158–1165
- Issue published online: 7 APR 2014
- Article first published online: 10 MAR 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 23 JAN 2014
- Manuscript Received: 14 JAN 2014
- EU Erasmus Mundus Action 2
- Fundacao Nacional para a Ciencia e Tecnologia (FCT). Grant Number: PEst-OE/MAT/UI0117/2011
- 1990. Adjusting for nonresponse bias using logistic regression. Biometrika 77:617–624.
- 2005. Handbook of capture-recapture analysis. Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ. , , and . (eds)
- 2001. Bayesian capture-recapture methods for error detection and estimation of population size: heterogeneity and dependence. Biometrika 88:269–279. , and .
- 1993. Approximate inference in generalized linear mixed models. J. Am. Stat. Assoc. 88:9–25. , and .
- 1981. A Bayesian analysis of multiple-recapture sampling for a closed population. Biometrika 46:167–174.
- 1999. The use of mixed logit models to reflect heterogeneity in capture-recapture studies. Biometrics 55:294–301. , and .
- 1975. Partial likelihood. Biometrika 62:269–276.
- 1994. Analysis of longitudinal data. Oxford Science Publications, New York. , , and .
- 1992. Capture-recapture sampling via gibbs sampling. Biometrika 79:677–683. , and .
- 2005. Bayesian capture-recapture analysis of a closed population allowing for heterogeneity between animals. J. Agric. Biol. Environ. Stat. 10:35–49. , and .
- 2009. A comparative study of Bayesian model selection criteria for capture-recapture models for closed populations. J. Mod. Appl. Stat. Methods 9:68–80. , and .
- 2011. A comparative study of Bayes estimators of closed population size from capture-recapture data. J. Stat. Theory Pract. 5:241–260. , and .
- 1989. On the statistical analysis of capture experiments. Biometrika 76:133–140.
- 1991. Some practical aspects of a conditional likelihood approach to capture experiments. Biometrics 47:725–732.
- 2011. A review of the use of conditional likelihood in capture-recapture experiments. Int. Stat. Rev. 73:385–400. , and .
- 2001. A note on nonparametric inference for capture-recapture experiments with heterogeneous capture probabilities. Stat. Sin. 11:843–853. , and .
- 2005. An examination of the effect of heterogeneity on the estimation of population size using capture-recapture data. Biometrika 92:229–233. , and .
- 2007. Application of semiparametric regression models in the analysis of capture-recapture experiments. Aust. NZ J. Stat. 49:191–212. , and .
- 2008. Bayesian estimation of a closed population size in the presence of heterogeneity and model uncertainty. Biometrics 64:816–824. , and .
- 1994. Estimating population size via sample coverage for closed capture-recapture models. Biometrics 50:88–97. , and .
- 2003. Bayes estimation of population size from capture-recapture models with time variation and behavior response. Stat. Sin. 13:477–494. , , and .
- 1986. Longitudinal data analysis using generalized linear models. Biometrika 73:13–22. , and .
- 2003. Nonidentifiability of population size from capture-recapture data with heterogeneous detection probabilities. Biometrics 59:1125–1132.
- 1997. Bayesian methods for estimation of the size of a closed population. Biometrika 84:19–31. , and .
- 1986. On the use of enumeration estimators for interspecific comparisons, with comments on a “trappability” estimator. J. Mammal. 67:590–593.
- 1983. Estimation methodology in contemporary small mammal capture-recapture studies. J. Mammal. 64:253–260. , and .
- 1978. Statistical inference from capture data on closed animal populations. Wildl. Monogr. 62:1–135. , , , and .
- 1962. Maximum likelihood estimation for generalized power series distributions and its application to a truncated binomial distribution. Biometrika 49(1 & 2), 227–237.
- 2000. Mixed-effects models in S and S-PLUS. Statistics and Computing Series, Springer-Verlag, New York, NY. , and .
- 1984. The use of auxiliary variables in capture-recapture and removal experiments. Biometrics 40:329–340. , , and .
- 2012. Modeling trap-awareness and related phenomena in capture-recapture studies. PLoS One 7:e32666. , and .
- 2002. The Estimation of animal abundance and related parameters. Edward Arnold, London, U.K.
- 1991. Bayesian analyses for a multiple capture-recapture model. Biometrika 78:99–407.
- 2011. Heterogeneous capture-recapture models with covariates: a partial likelihood approach for closed populations. Biometrics 67:1659–1665. , , , and .
- 2007. Bayesian population estimation for small sample capture-recapture data using noninformative priors. J. Stat. Plan Inference 137:1099–1118. , , and .
- 2002. Analysis and management of animal populations. Academic Press, San Diego, CA. , , and .
- 2006. Generalized additive models: an introduction with R. Chapman and Hall/CRC, Boca Raton, FL.
- 2005. Modeling animals' behavioral response by Markov chain models for capture-recapture experiments. Biometrics 61:1010–1017. , and .
- 2012. A GEE approach for estimating size of hard-to-reach population by using capture recapture data. Statistics 46:175–183.