Do riparian reserves support dung beetle biodiversity and ecosystem services in oil palm-dominated tropical landscapes?
Article first published online: 5 MAR 2014
© 2014 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 4, Issue 7, pages 1049–1060, April 2014
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2014; 4(7):1049–1060
- Issue published online: 7 APR 2014
- Article first published online: 5 MAR 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 20 JAN 2014
- Manuscript Received: 18 DEC 2013
- NERC DTG studentship
- Royal Society University Research Fellowship
- Academy of Finland. Grant Number: 138346
- 2007. Possible indirect effects of mammal hunting on dung beetle assemblages in Panama. Biotropica 39:141–146. , and .
- 2003. Who should pay for tropical conservation, and how could the costs be met? Oryx 37:238–250. , and .
- 2010a. Measuring the conservation value of tropical primary forests: the effect of occasional species on estimates of biodiversity uniqueness. PLoS ONE 5:e9609. , , , and .
- 2010b. Improving the design and management of forest strips in human-dominated tropical landscapes: a field test on Amazonian dung beetles. J. Appl. Ecol. 47:779–788. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. lme4: Linear mixed-effects models using S4 classes. R package version 0.999999-0. , , and .
- 1984. The relascope idea: relative measurements in forestry. Commonwealth Agricultural Bureaux, Farnham Royal, U.K.
- 2013. Dung beetle community and functions along a habitat-disturbance gradient in the Amazon: a rapid assessment of ecological functions associated to biodiversity. PLoS ONE 8:e57786. , , , and .
- 2004. Ordinating tropical moth ensembles from an elevational gradient: a comparison of common methods. J. Trop. Ecol. 20:165–172. , and .
- 2010. Is oil palm the next emerging threat to the Amazon? Trop. Conserv. Sci. 2:1–10. , and .
- 2012. Coverage-based rarefaction and extrapolation: standardizing samples by completeness rather than size. Ecology 93:2533–2547. , and .
- 2001. Dung beetles as indicators of change in the forests of northern Borneo. J. Appl. Ecol. 38:593–616. , , , , , and .
- 2011. Degraded lands worth protecting: the biological importance of Southeast Asia's repeatedly logged forests. Proc. Biol. Sci. 278:82–90. , , , , , , et al.
- 2013. Does logging and forest conversion to oil palm agriculture alter functional diversity in a biodiversity hotspot? Anim. Conserv. doi:10.1111/acv.12074. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Putting people in the map: anthropogenic biomes of the world. Front. Ecol. Environ. 6:439–447. , and .
- 2011. A large-scale forest fragmentation experiment: the Stability of Altered Forest Ecosystems Project. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. Lond., B, Biol. Sci. 366:3292–3302. , , , , , , et al.
- FAO. 2014. Food and Agriculture Organisation of the United Nations. FAOSTAT. Available at http://faostat.fao.org/ (accessed 17 February 2014).
- 2008. How will oil palm expansion affect biodiversity? Trends Ecol. Evol. 23:538–545. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Establishing the evidence base for maintaining biodiversity and ecosystem function in the oil palm landscapes of South East Asia. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. Lond., B, Biol. Sci. 366:3277–3291. , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Frugivorous bats in isolated trees and riparian vegetation associated with human-made pastures in a fragmented tropical landscape. Southwest. Nat. 48:579–589. , and .
- 2008. The cost-effectiveness of biodiversity surveys in tropical forests. Ecol. Lett. 11:139–150. , , , , , , et al.
- 2013. Sustainable intensification in agriculture: premises and policies. Science 341:33–34. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Primary forests are irreplaceable for sustaining tropical biodiversity. Nature 478:378–381. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Riparian corridors enhance movement of a forest specialist bird in fragmented tropical forest. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. 105:19774–19779. , and .
- 2010. Functional responses in habitat selection by tropical birds moving through fragmented forest. J. Appl. Ecol. 47:182–190. , and .
- 2011. Fine-scale movement decisions of tropical forest birds in a fragmented landscape. Ecol. Appl. 21:944–954. , , and .
- 2010. Food security: the challenge of feeding 9 billion people. Science 327:812–818. , , , , , , et al.
- 2013. Monitoring the ecosystem service provided by dung beetles offers benefits over commonly used biodiversity metrics and a traditional trapping method. J. Nat. Conserv. 21:183–188. , , , and .
- 2001. Influence of patch- and landscape-level factors on bird assemblages in a fragmented tropical landscape. Ecol. Appl. 11:1709–1721. , and .
- 2005. Temporal variation in abundance and diversity of butterflies in Bornean rain forests: opposite impacts of logging recorded in different seasons. J. Trop. Ecol. 21:417–425. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Patterns of animal diversity in different forms of tree cover in agricultural landscapes. Ecol. Appl. 16:1986–1999. , , , , , , et al.
- 1995. Linear strips of rain forest vegetation as potential dispersal corridors for rain forest insects. Conserv. Biol. 9:1559–1566.
- 2013. iNEXT online: interpolation and extrapolation (Version 1.0) [Software]. Available at http://chao.stat.nthu.edu.tw/inext/ (accessed 5 August 2013). , , and .
- 2005. Annual water balance and seasonality of evapotranspiration in a Bornean tropical rainforest. Agric. For. Meteorol. 128:81–92. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Trap spacing and transect design for dung beetle biodiversity studies. Biotropica 37:322–325. , and .
- 2006. Extreme trophic and habitat specialization by Peruvian dung beetles (Coleoptera: Scarabaeidae: Scarabaeinae). Coleop. Bull 60:315–324. , , and .
- 2002. A financial study of cattle integration in oil palm plantations. Oil Palm Ind. Econ. J. 2:34–44. , and .
- 2012. Averting biodiversity collapse in tropical forest protected areas. Nature 489:290–294. , , , , , , et al.
- 1999. Tropical wildlife corridors: use of linear rainforest remnants by arboreal mammals. Biol. Conserv. 91:231–239. , and .
- 2012. Dung beetles reduce clustering of tropical tree seedlings. Biotropica 44:271–275. , , and .
- 2004. Quantitative review of riparian buffer width guidelines from Canada and the United States. J. Environ. Manage. 70:165–180. , , and .
- 2008. Conservation value of remnant riparian forest corridors of varying quality for Amazonian birds and mammals. Conserv. Biol. 22:439–449. , and .
- 1999. The conservation value of linear forest remnants in central Amazonia. Biol. Conserv. 91:241–247. , and .
- 2010. Are forested buffers an effective conservation strategy for riparian fauna? An assessment using meta-analysis. Ecol. Appl. 20:126–134. , , , , , and .
- 2013. Optimising bait for pitfall trapping of Amazonian dung beetles (Coleoptera: Scarabaeinae). PLoS ONE 8:e73147. , , , and .
- 2007. Meta-analysis of nitrogen removal in riparian buffers. J. Environ. Qual. 36:1172–1180. , , , and .
- 2007. Bat diversity and movement in an agricultural landscape in Matiguás, Nicaragua. Biotropica 39:120–128. , , , , and .
- 2013. On the hope for biodiversity-friendly tropical landscapes. Trends Ecol. Evol. 28:462–468. , , , , and .
- 2012. Improving estimates of biodiversity loss. Biol. Conserv. 151:32–34. , , and .
- 2011. Dung beetles as a candidate study taxon in applied biodiversity conservation research. Pp. 267–291 in L. W. Simmons and T. J. Ridsdill-Smith, eds. Ecology and evolution of dung beetles. John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., Chichester, U.K. , and .
- 2008. Ecological functions and ecosystem services provided by Scarabaeinae dung beetles. Biol. Conserv. 141:1461–1474. , , , , , and .
- 2013a. Trait-dependent response of dung beetle populations to tropical forest conversion at local and regional scales. Ecology 94:180–189. , , , , , , et al.
- 2013b. Human-induced trophic cascades along the fecal detritus pathway. PLoS ONE 8:e75819. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Implications of faecal removal by dung beetles for scat surveys in a fragmented landscape of the Brazilian Amazon. Oryx 44:455–458. , and .
- 2013. vegan: Community Ecology Package. R package version 2.0-6. , , , , , , et al.
- 2013. Crop expansion and conservation priorities in tropical countries. PLoS ONE 8:e51759. , , , , , , et al.
- The R Development Core Team. 2013. nlme: Linear and Nonlinear Mixed Effects Models. R package version 3.1-108. , , , , and
- R Core Team. 2012. R: a language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria.
- 2011. Changes in forest land use and management in Sabah, Malaysian Borneo, 1990–2010, with a focus on the Danum Valley region. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 366:3168–3176. , , , , and .
- 2010. Importance of riparian remnants for frog species diversity in a highly fragmented rainforest. Biol. Lett. 6:781–784. , and .
- 2000. Dung beetle movements at two spatial scales. Oikos 91:323–335.
- RSPO. 2013. RSPO principles and criteria for sustainable palm oil production. Guidance document. Available at http://www.rspo.org/file/PnC_RSPO_Rev1.pdf. (accessed 17 February 2014).
- 2007. Experimental evidence for the effects of dung beetle functional group richness and composition on ecosystem function in a tropical forest. J. Anim. Ecol. 76:1094–1104. , , , and .
- 2011. Biodiversity and ecosystem function of tropical forest dung beetles under contrasting logging regimes. Biol. Conserv. 144:166–174. , , and .
- 1995. Habitat selection and offspring survival rate in three paracoprid dung beetles: the influence of soil type and soil moisture. Ecography 18:147–154.
- 2004. Riparian deforestation, stream narrowing, and loss of stream ecosystem services. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 101:14132–14137. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Ecological corridors: safe passages for the perpetuity of floral and faunal populations in the heart of Borneo. Compilation of presentations - regional forum on “enhancing forest ecosystems connectivity and corridors within the heart of Borneo in Sabah”, 26–27 October 2009, Kota Kinabalu, Sabah. Available at: http://www.forest.sabah.gov.my/pdf/RegionalForum2009.pdf (accessed 17 February 2014). , , and .
- 2014. Dung beetle communities as biological indicators of riparian forest widths in southern Brazil. Ecol. Ind. 36:703–710. , , , and .
- 1999. The ecoclimatology of Danum, Sabah, in the context of the world's rainforest regions, with particular reference to dry periods and their impact. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. Lond., B, Biol. Sci. 354:1869–1883. , and .
- 2009. Mixed effects models and extensions in ecology with R. Springer, New York, NY. , , , , and .