Soil moisture variations affect short-term plant-microbial competition for ammonium, glycine, and glutamate
Article first published online: 6 MAR 2014
© 2014 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 4, Issue 7, pages 1061–1072, April 2014
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2014; 4(7):1061–1072
- Issue published online: 7 APR 2014
- Article first published online: 6 MAR 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 23 JAN 2014
- Manuscript Received: 22 JAN 2014
- Swedish Council for Forestry and Agricultural Research
- 1998. Non-biomass soil organic N: the substrate for N mineralisation flushes following soil drying-rewetting and for organic N rendered CaCl2-extractable upon soil drying. Soil Biol. Biochem. 30:1445–1456.
- 2003. Soil microbes compete effectively with plants for organic nitrogen inputs to temperate grasslands. Ecology 84:1277–1287. , , and .
- 2007. Rapid turnover of DOC in temperate forests accounts for increased CO2 production at elevted temperatures. Ecol. Lett. 10:783–790. , and .
- 2006. Spatial distributions of plants and gross N transformation rates in a forest soil. J. Ecol. 94:754–764. , , and .
- 2003. Gross nitrogen mineralisation-, immobilisation-, and nitrification rates as a function of soil C: N ratio and microbial activity. Soil Biol. Biochem. 35:143–154. , , and .
- 1985. Response of microbial biomass to alternate moist and dry conditions in soil incubated with 14C- and 15N-labelled plant material. Soil Biol. Biochem. 17:329–337.
- 1995. Root growth and nitrate uptake by wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) following wetting of a dry surface soil. J. Exp. Bot. 46:557–564. , , , and .
- 1985. Cloroform fumigation and the release of soil nitrogen: a rapid direct extraction method to measure microbial biomass nitrogen in soil. Soil Biol. Biochem. 17:837–842. , , , and .
- 2000. Biochemistry and Molecular Biology of Plants. Pp. 362–379. American Society of Plant Physiologists, Rockville, Maryland. , , and .
- 2001. Nitrate uptake by maize roots during and after drought stress. Plant Soil 229:125–135. , and .
- 1952. Cooperation and conflict among primitive organisms. Am. Sci. 40:601–631.
- 2000. Temperature changes and the ATP concentration of the soil microbial biomass. Soil Biol. Biochem. 32:1219–1225. , , , and .
- 1996. Leaf photosynthesis under drought stress. Pp. 347–366 in N. R. Baker, ed. Photosynthesis and the environment. Kluwer, The Netherlands. , and .
- 1991. Procaryotic osmoregulation: genetics and physiology. Annu. Rev. Microbiol. 45:569–606. , and .
- 1997. A large ephemeral release of nitrogen upon wetting of a dry soil and corresponding root responses in the field. Plant Soil 191:291–299. , and .
- 1998. A new species index for forest vascular plants: development of functional indices based on mineralisation rates of various forms of soil nitrogen. J. Ecol. 86:269–283. , and .
- 2006. Influence of microbial activity on plant-microbial competition for organic and inorganic nitrogen. Plant Soil 289:321–334. , , , and .
- 1985. Determination of adenosine triphosphate (ATP) and adynelate energy charge (AEC) in soil and use of adenine nucleotides as measures of soil microbial biomass and microbial activity. Report No. S 1777, State Laboratory for Soil and Crop Research, Copenhagen. .
- 1991. Zeigerwertevon Pflanzen in Mitteleuropa. Script. Geobot. 18:1–248. , , , , , and .
- 1988. Comparative plant ecology. A functional approach to common British species, Unwin Hyman Ltd, London. , , and .
- 1987. A checklist of mycorrhiza in the British flora – addenda, errata and index. New Phytol. 107:741–749. , and .
- 2007. Preferences for different nitrogen forms by coexisting plant species and soil microbes. Ecology 88:989–999. , , and .
- 1999. Nitrogen availability effects on carbon mineralization, fungal and bacterial growth, and enzyme activities during decomposition of wheat straw in soil. Soil Biol. Biochem. 31:1121–1134. , and .
- 2003. Plant amino acid uptake, soluble N turnover and microbial N capture in soils of grazed Arctic salt marsh. J. Ecol. 91:627–636. , and .
- 2000. Competition between roots and soil microorganisms for nutrients from nitrogen-rich patches of varying complexity. J. Ecol. 88:150–164. , , , , and .
- 2011. The potential of microdialysis to monitor organic and inorganic nitrogen compounds in soil. Soil Biol. Biochem. 43:1321–1332. , , , , and .
- 1989. Short-term partitioning of ammonium and nitrate between plants and microbes in an annual grassland. Soil Biol. Biochem. 21:409–415. , , and .
- 2011. Plants control the seasonal dynamics of microbial N cycling in a beech forest soil by belowground C allocation. Ecology 92:1036–1051. , , , , , , et al.
- 1997. Competition for nitrogen between plants and soil microorganisms. Trends Ecol. Evol. 12:139–143. , and .
- 1987. Microbial biomass response to a rapid increase in water potential when dry soil is wetted. Soil Biol. Biochem. 19:119–126. , , and .
- 2012. Root proteases: reinforced links between nitrogen uptake and mobilization and drought tolerance. Physiol. Plant. 145:165–179. , , , and .
- 2013. Competetion between roots and microorganisms for nitrogen: mechanisms and ecological relevance. New Phytol. 198:656–669. , and .
- 1998. Estimation of the components of soil water balance in a Danish oak stand from measurements of soil moisture using TDR. For. Ecol. Manage. 104:227–238.
- 1998. Plant-microbe competition for soil amino acids in the alpine tundra: effects of freeze-thaw and dry-rewet events. Oecologia 113:406–414. , and .
- 1999. Links between microbial population dynamics and nitrogen availability in an alpine ecosystem. Ecology 80:1623–1631. , , and .
- 2009. Plant-microbial competition for nitrogen uncoupled from soil C: N ratios. Oikos 118:1908–1916. , , , and .
- 2002. Mineral nutrition of higher plants. Pp. 6–78. Academic Press Inc., San Diego.
- 1982. Decomposition of 14C- and 15N-labelled microbial cells in soil. Soil Biol. Biochem. 14:461–467. , , and .
- 1987. Quantitative analysis of amino acids in conifer tissues by high-performance liquid chromatography and fluorescence detection of their 9-fluorenylmethyl chloroformate derivates. J. Chromatogr. 396:225–236. , , and .
- 1998. Boreal forest plants take up organic nitrogen. Nature 392:914–916. , , , , , and .
- 2009. Uptake of organic nitrogen by plants. New Phytol. 182:31–48. , , and .
- 2001. The release of root exudates as affected by the plants′ physiological status. Pp 41–95 in R. Pinton, Z. Varanini, and P. Nannipieri, eds. The rhizosphere – Biochemistry and organic substances at the soil-plant interface. Marcel Dekker, Inc., New York. , and .
- 2001. Soil nitrogen form and plant nitrogen uptake along a boreal forest productivity gradient. Oecologia 129:125–132. , , and .
- 1999. Microbial C and N transformations during drying and rewetting of coniferous forest floor material. Soil Biol. Biochem. 31:275–285. , and .
- 1996. Non-mycorrhizal uptake of amino acids by roots of the alpine sedge Kobresia myosuroides: implications for the nitrogen cycle. Oecologia 108:488–494. , , and .
- 2002. Relation between respiration, ATP content, and Adenylate energy charge (AEC) after incubation at different temperatures and after drying and rewetting. J. Plant Nutr. Soil Sci. 165:435–440. , , , and .
- 2009. Uptake of intact amino acids by plants depends on soil amino acid concentrations. Environ. Exp. Bot. 66:145–152. , , and .
- 2004. Nitrogen mineralization: challenges of a changing paradigm. Ecology 85:591–602. , and .
- 1996. Tundra plant uptake of amino acids and NH4+ nitrogen in situ: plants compete well for amino acid N. Ecology 77:2142–2147. , and .
- 1989. Spatial and temporal effects on plant-microbial competition for inorganic nitrogen in a California annual grassland. Soil Biol. Biochem. 21:1059–1066. , , and .
- 1999. Glycine metabolism by plant roots and its occurrence in Australian plant communities. Aust. J. Plant Physiol. 26:253–264. , and .
- 2007. Biogeochemical consequences of rapid microbial turnover and seasonal succession in soil. Ecology 88:1379–1385. , , , , , , et al.
- 1983. Field experiments on interspecific competition. Am. Nat. 122:240–285.
- 2008. Plant and microbial uptake and allocation of organic and inorganic nitrogen related to plant growth forms and soil conditions at two subarctic tundra sites in Sweden. Arct. Antarct. Alp. Res. 40:171–180. , , , , and .
- 2003. Explaining temporal variation in soil CO2 efflux in a mature spruce forest in Southern Germany. Soil Biol. Biochem. 35:1467–1483. , , and .
- 2008. Spatial covariation of microbial community composition and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon concentration in a creosote-polluted soil. Environ. Toxicol. Chem. 27:1039–1046. , , , and .
- 1993. Microbial biomass responses to soil drying and rewetting: the fate of fast- and slow-growing microorganisms in soils from different climates. Soil Biol. Biochem. 25:109–123. , , and .
- 1997. Competition for nitrogen during decomposition of plant residues in soil: effect of spatial placement of N-rich and N-poor plant residues. Soil Biol. Biochem. 29:153–162. , and .
- 2005. Preferential uptake of soil nitrogen forms by grassland plant species. Oecologia 142:627–635. , , and .
- 2011. Spatio-temporal variations determine plant-microbe competition for inorganic nitrogen in an alpine meadow. J. Ecol. 99:563–571. , , , , , and .
- 1990. The vernal dam: plant-microbe competition for nitrogen in northern hardwood forests. Ecology 71:651–656. , , , , and .