Increased genetic divergence between two closely related fir species in areas of range overlap
Article first published online: 3 MAR 2014
© 2014 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 4, Issue 7, pages 1019–1029, April 2014
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2014; 4(7):1019–1029
- Issue published online: 7 APR 2014
- Article first published online: 3 MAR 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 30 JAN 2014
- Manuscript Revised: 28 JAN 2014
- Manuscript Received: 4 JAN 2014
- National Key Project for Basic Research. Grant Number: 2014CB954100
- Royal Society-NSF China International Joint Project. Grant Number: 2010/R4
- Chinese Scholarship Council
- 2013. Hybridization and speciation. J. Evol. Biol. 26:229–246. , , , , , , et al.
- 1938. Hybridization in Tradescantia III. The evidence for introgressive hybridization. Am. J. Bot. 25:396–402. and .
- 1986. The barrier to genetic exchange between hybridising populations. Heredity 57:357–376. and .
- 2004. Identifying adaptive genetic divergence among populations from genome scans. Mol. Ecol. 13:969–980. and .
- 2010. Breakdown in postmating isolation and the collapse of a species pair through hybridization. Am. Nat. 175:11–26. , , and .
- 2004. How to track and assess genotyping errors in population genetics studies. Mol. Ecol. 13:3261–3273. , , , , , and .
- 1956. Character displacement. Syst. Zool. 5:49–64. and .
- 2005. Ecological and community-wide character displacement: the next generation. Ecol. Lett. 8:875–894. and .
- 1987. A rapid DNA isolation procedure for small quantities of fresh leaf tissue. Phytochem. Bull. 19:11–15. and .
- 2010. Arlequin suite ver 3.5: a new series of programs to perform population genetics analyses under Linux and Windows. Mol. Ecol. Res. 10:564–567. , and .
- 1992. Analysis of molecular variance inferred from metric distances among DNA haplotypes: application to human mitochondrial DNA restriction data. Genetics 131:479–491. , , and .
- 1989. A classification of Abies Miller (Pinaceae). Notes from the Royal Botanic Garden, Edinburgh 46:59–79. and .
- 2012. The genomics of speciation-with-gene-flow. Trends Genet. 28:342–350. , , and .
- 2004. PHYLIP: phylogenetic inference program, version 3.6. University of Washington, Seattle.
- 2013. Genetic hitchhiking and the dynamic buildup of genomic divergence during speciation with gene flow. Evolution 67:2577–2591. , , and .
- 2008. A genome-scan method to identify selected loci appropriate for both dominant and codominant markers: a Bayesian perspective. Genetics 180:977–993. and .
- 2010. Genomic signals of diversification along ecological gradients in a tropical lizard. Mol. Ecol. 19:3773–3788. , , , and .
- 1999. Pinaceae. Flora of China 4:11–52. , , and .
- 2006. Evolution of character displacement in Darwin's finches. Science 313:224–226. , and .
- 2011. Increased floral divergence in sympatric monkeyflowers. Evolution 65:2712–2718. and .
- 1982. Geographic distribution of conifers in Sichuan. Sichuan People Press, Chengdu.
- 2007. Hickory: a package for analysis of population genetic data v 1.1. Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, University of Connecticut, Storrs, CT. and .
- 2004. Bayesian approaches for the analysis of population genetic structure: an example from Platanthera leucophaea (Orchidaceae). Mol. Ecol. 13:887–894. and .
- 2002. A Bayesian approach to inferring population structure from dominant markers. Mol. Ecol. 11:1157–1164. , , and .
- 2013. Reinforcement in plants. New Phytol. 4:1095–1103.
- 2011. Identification of two genes causing reinforcement in the Texas wildflower Phlox drummondii. Nature 469:411–414. and .
- 2012. Molecular signatures of selection on reproductive character displacement of flower color in Phlox drummondii. Evolution 66:469–485. , , and .
- 2010. Speciation via species interactions: the divergence of mating traits within species. Ecol. Lett. 13:409–420. and .
- 2005. Reinforcement drives rapid allopatric speciation. Nature 437:1353–1356. , , , and .
- 2008. Natural selection reinforces speciation in a radiation of neotropical rainforest plants. Evolution 62:2628–2642. and .
- 2009. Character displacement of song and morphology in African tinkerbirds. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. 106:8256–8261. , , and .
- 1978. The origin of isolating mechanisms in flowering plants. Evol. Biol. 11:185–317.
- 2002. Wind-dispersed pollen mediates postglacial gene flow among refugia. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. 99:14590–14594. , , and .
- 1971. A monograph of the genus Abies. Department of Forestry, College of Agriculture, National Taiwan University, Taipei.
- 1994. Analysis of population genetic structure with RAPD markers. Mol. Ecol. 3:91–99. and .
- 2010. Recurrent nuclear DNA introgression accompanies chloroplast DNA exchange between two eucalypt species. Mol. Ecol. 19:1367–1380. , , and .
- 2010. Genetic population structure of sympatric and allopatric populations of Baltic ciscoes (Coregonus albula complex, Teleostei, Coregonidae). BMC Evol. Biol. 10:85. , , , , , and .
- 2006. Macroevolutionary data suggest a role for reinforcement in pollination system shifts. Evolution 60:1596–1601. , , and .
- 1999. Reinforcement and other consequences of sympatry. Heredity 83:503–508.
- 2012. Ecological speciation. Oxford Univ. Press, Oxford, U.K.
- 2008. Heterogeneous genomic differentiation between walking-stick ecotypes: ‘isolation by adaptation’ and multiple roles for divergent selection. Evolution 62:316–336. , , and .
- 2009. Divergent selection and heterogeneous genomic divergence. Mol. Ecol. 18:375–402. , , and .
- 2012. Genomic consequences of multiple speciation processes in a stick insect. Proc. Biol. Sci. 279:5058–5065. , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Extensive sharing of chloroplast haplotypes among European birches indicates hybridization among Betula pendula, B. pubescens and B. nana. Mol. Ecol. 13:167–178. , , , and .
- 2006. GENALEX 6: genetic analysis in Excel. Population genetic software for teaching and research. Mol. Ecol. Notes 6:288–295. and .
- 2006. Some evolutionary consequences of being a tree. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Evol. Syst. 37:187–214. and .
- 2005. Invited review: comparative organization of chloroplast, mitochondrial and nuclear diversity in plant populations. Mol. Ecol. 14:689–701. , , , , , and .
- 2009. Character displacement: ecological and reproductive responses to a common evolutionary problem. Q. Rev. Biol. 84:253. and .
- 2010. Character displacement and the origins of diversity. Am. Nat. 176:S26. and .
- R Development Core Team. 2013. R: a language and environmental for statistical computing. http://www.R-project.org.
- 2009. Accurate inference of subtle population structure (and other genetic discontinuities) using principal coordinates. PLoS ONE 4:e4269. and .
- 1993. Introgression and its consequences in plants. Oxford Univ. Press, Oxford, U.K. and .
- 1997. Genetic differentiation and estimation of gene flow from F-statistics under isolation by distance. Genetics 145:1219–1228.
- 1997. A sexually selected character displacement in flycatchers reinforces premating isolation. Nature 387:589–592. , , , , , and .
- 2001. Ecology and the origin of species. Trends Ecol. Evol. 16:372–380.
- 2011. Post-glacial history and introgression in Abies (Pinaceae) species of the Russian Far East inferred from both nuclear and cytoplasmic markers. J. Biogeogr. 38:326–340. , , and .
- 2004. The what and why of research on reinforcement. PLoS Biol. 2:e420.
- 2003. The role of reinforcement in speciation: theory and data. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Evol. Syst. 34:339–364. and .
- 2008. Experimental evidence that selection favors character displacement in the ivyleaf morning glory. Am. Nat. 171:1–9. , and .
- 2007. Combining population genomics and quantitative genetics: finding the genes underlying ecologically important traits. Heredity 100:158–170. and .
- 2005. Using genome scans of DNA polymorphism to infer adaptive population divergence. Mol. Ecol. 14:671–688.
- 2004. AFLPs resolve phylogeny and reveal mitochondrial introgression within a species flock of African electric fish (Mormyroidea: Teleostei). Evolution 58:825–841. , , , and .
- 2008. Evidence of reinforcement of premating isolation between two species of the genus Ochthebius (Coleoptera: Hydraenidae). Evolution 62:1520–1527. and .
- 2002. Data from amplified fragment length polymorphism (AFLP) markers show indication of size homoplasy and of a relationship between degree of homoplasy and fragment size. Mol. Ecol. 11:139–151. , , , and .
- 1995. AFLP: a new technique for DNA fingerprinting. Nucleic Acids Res. 23:4407–4414. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Species delimitation and biogeography of two fir species (Abies) in central China: cytoplasmic DNA variation. Heredity 107:362–370. , , , , and .
- 2001. Studies on the composition, characteristics and geographic element of the family of seed plant flora in Qinling MT. Bull. Botanic. Res. 4:536–545.