Risk-sensitive reproductive allocation: fitness consequences of body mass losses in two contrasting environments
Article first published online: 3 MAR 2014
© 2014 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 4, Issue 7, pages 1030–1038, April 2014
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2014; 4(7):1030–1038
- Issue published online: 7 APR 2014
- Article first published online: 3 MAR 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 28 JAN 2014
- Manuscript Revised: 10 JAN 2014
- Manuscript Received: 24 SEP 2013
- Research Council of Norway
- Norwegian Directorate of Nature Management
- County Authorities of Troms and Finnmark, Norway
- 1983. Fertility and body weight in female red deer: a density-dependent relationship. J. Anim. Ecol. 52:969–980. , , and .
- 2012. The effect of warble flies on reindeer fitness: a parasite removal experiment. J. Zool. 287:34–40. , , , , , and .
- 2008. Allocating protein to reproduction in Arctic reindeer and caribou. Physiol. Biochem. Zool. 81:835–855. , and .
- 2009. Risk sensitive reproductive strategies: the effect of environmental unpredictability. Ph.D. thesis. Department of Biology, Faculty of Science, Univ. of Tromsø, Norway.
- 2012. Density dependence vs. density independence - linking reproductive allocation to population abundance and vegetation greenness. J. Anim. Ecol. 81:364–376. , and .
- 2008. Experimental evidence for a risk sensitive reproductive allocation in a long-lived mammal. Ecology 89:829–837. , , , , , and .
- 2009. Experimental evidence of cost of lactation in a low risk environment for a long-lived mammal. Oikos 118:837–852. , , , , and .
- 2010. Observational evidence of a risk sensitive reproductive allocation in a long-lived mammal. Oecologia 162:627–639. , , , and .
- 2011. Plastic reproductive allocation as a buffer against environmental stochasticity - linking life history and population dynamics to climate. Oikos 20:245–257. , , , , and .
- 1992. Parental care and the cost of reproduction in a Mediterranean fish. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 30:373–378.
- 2009. Empirical evidence of density-dependence in populations of large herbivores. Adv. Ecol. Res., 41:313–357. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Induced shift in ecosystem productivity? Extensive scale effects of abundant large herbivores. Ecosystems 10:773–789. , , , , , and .
- 1995. Seasonal-variation in human-reproduction - environmental-factors. Q. Rev. Biol. 70:141–164.
- 1999. Comparative body composition strategies of breeding and nonbreeding female caribou. Can. J. Zool. 77:1901–1907. , , and .
- 1996. Population fluctuations, reproductive costs and life-history tactics in female Soay sheep. J. Anim. Ecol. 65:675–689. , , , , , and .
- 1997. Stability and instability in ungulate populations: an empirical analysis. Am. Nat. 149:195–219. , , , , , and .
- 2001. Age, sex, density, winter weather, and population crashes in Soay sheep. Science 292:1528–1531. , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Adaptive regulation of body reserves in reindeer, Rangifer tarandus: a feeding experiment. Oikos 107:583–591. , , , and .
- 2007. Escaping parasitism in the selfish herd: age, size and density-dependent warble fly infestation in reindeer. Oikos 116:491–499. , , , , , , et al.
- 1998. Condition-dependent reproductive success in bighorn ewes. Ecol. Lett. 1:91–94.
- 1998. Mass- and density-dependent reproductive success and reproductive costs in a capital breeder. Am. Nat. 152:367–379. , , and .
- 2003. Temporal variation in survival of mammals: a case of environmental canalization? Ecology 84:3294–3306. , and .
- 1996. Body composition and nutrient reserves of arctic caribou. Can. J. Zool. 74:136–146. , , , and .
- 2011. Climate, icing, and wild arctic reindeer: past relationships and future prospects. Ecology 92:1917–1923. , , , , and .
- 2005. Cost of reproduction in a long-lived bird: incubation effort reduces immune function and future reproduction. Proc. Biol. Sci. 272:1039–1046. , , , and .
- 2008. Impacts of differential prey dynamics on the potential recovery of endangered arctic fox populations. J. Appl. Ecol. 45:1086–1093. , , , and .
- 1994. Age-specific and size-specific costs of reproduction within populations of brook trout, Salvelinus fontinalis. Oikos 70:12–20.
- 2003. Atlantic salmon Salmo salar L., brown trout Salmo trutta L. and Arctic charr Salvelinus alpinus (L.): a review of aspects of their life histories. Ecol. Freshw. Fish 12:1–59. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Is life-history buffering or lability adaptive in stochastic environments? Oikos 118:972–980. , , , and .
- 2001. Risk sensitivity and value among Andean pastoralists: measures, models, and empirical tests. Curr. Anthropol. 42:432–440.
- 2002. Evolutionary applications of risk sensitivity models to socially stratified species - comparison of sigmoid, concave, and linear functions. Evol. Hum. Behav. 23:265–280.
- 2003. Environmental constraints and sigmoid utility: implications for value, risk sensitivity, and social status. Ecol. Econ. 46:293–306. , and .
- 2002. Early development, survival and reproduction in humans. Trends Ecol. Evol. 17:141–147. , and .
- 1993. Nomadic pastoralists adopt subsistence strategies that maximize long-term household survival. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 33:329–334.
- 1978. Sledding on a bushy hillside: the fat cycle in deer. Wildl. Soc. Bull. 6:88–90.
- 2009. Growth of male white-tailed deer: consequences of maternal effects. J. Mammal. 90:651–660. , , , , and .
- 2013. Risk-sensitive allocation in seasonal dynamics of fat and protein reserves in a long-lived mammal. J. Anim. Ecol. 82:377–388. , , , , , and .
- 2012. Life-history strategies of North American elk: trade-offs associated with reproduction and survival. J. Mammal. 94:162–172. , , , , and .
- 2010. Environmental stochasticity and long-term livestock viability - herd-accumulation as a risk reducing strategy. Hum. Ecol. 38:3–17. , and .
- 2013. Why herd size matters – mitigating the effects of livestock crashes. PLoS ONE 8:e70161. , and .
- 2010. Cooperative pastoral production - the importance of kinship. Evol. Hum. Behav. 31:246–258. , , , and .
- 2011. Pastoral herding strategies and governmental management objectives: predation compensation as a risk buffering strategy in the Saami reindeer husbandry. Hum. Ecol. 39:489–508. , , , and .
- 1990. Patterns of nutrient and energy expenditure in female common eiders nesting in the High Arctic. Auk 107:660–668. , and .
- R Development Core Team. 2011. R: a language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Austria.
- 2006. An overview of geographic variation in the life history traits of the tropical agamid lizard, Calotes versicolor. Curr. Sci. 91:1354–1363.
- 1997. Environmental stochasticity and population dynamics of large herbivores: a search for mechanisms. Trends Ecol. Evol. 12:143–149.
- 1996. Ecological correlates of regional variation in life history of the moose Alces alces. Ecology 77:1493–1500. , , , and .
- 1996. Life history patterns in female moose (Alces alces): the relationship between age, body size, fecundity and environmental conditions. Oecologia 106:212–220.
- 2005. Life-history evolution in reptiles. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Evol. Syst. 36:23–46.
- 2008. Feedback effects of chronic browsing on life-history traits of a large herbivore. J. Anim. Ecol. 77:678–686. , , , and .
- 1996. Density dependence, stochasticity, compensation and predator regulation. Oikos 75:164–173. , and .
- 1986. Foraging theory. Princeton Univ. Press, Princeton. , and .
- 2013. Responses of caribou and reindeer (Rangifer tarandus) to acute food shortages in spring. Can. J. Zool. 91:610–618. , and .
- 1995. Population regulation: old arguments and a new synthesis. Pp. 19–40 in N. Cappuccino and P. W. Price, eds. Population dynamics - new approaches and synthesis. Academic Press, San Diego.
- 2001. Nordic climate maps. Norwegian Meteorological Institute, Oslo, Norway. , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. An examination of a compensatory relationship between food limitation and predation in semi-domestic reindeer. Oecologia 137:370–376. , , , and .
- 2007. What regulate and limit reindeer populations in Norway? Oikos 116:706–715. , , , , , and .
- 2013. Population densities, vegetation green-up, and plant productivity: impacts on reproductive success and juvenile body mass in reindeer. PLoS ONE 8:e56450. , , , and .
- 2008. Heterogeneity in individual quality overrides costs of reproduction in female reindeer. Oecologia 156:237–247. , , , , , , et al.
- 1966. Natural selection costs of reproduction and a refinement of Lack's principle. Am. Nat. 100:687–690.
- 2007. Risk and decision-making. Pp. 433–445 in R. I. M. Dunbar, L. Barrett, eds. The Oxford handbook of evolutionary psychology. Oxford Univ. Press, Oxford, U.K.
- 1999. Risk-sensitive adaptive tactics: models and evidence from subsistence studies in biology and anthropology. J. Archaeol. Res. 7:301–348. , , and .
- 2009. Mixed effects models and extensions in ecology with R. Springer, New York. , , , , and .