Dynamics of bacterial and fungal communities associated with eggshells during incubation
Article first published online: 8 MAR 2014
© 2014 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 4, Issue 7, pages 1140–1157, April 2014
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2014; 4(7):1140–1157
- Issue published online: 7 APR 2014
- Article first published online: 8 MAR 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 30 JAN 2014
- Manuscript Received: 28 JAN 2014
- Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research
- 1997. Gapped BLAST and PSI-BLAST: a new generation of protein database search programs. Nucleic Acids Res. 25:3389–3402. , , , , , , et al.
- 1995. Phylogenetic identification and in situ detection of individual microbial cells without cultivation. Microbiol. Rev. 59:143–169. , , and .
- 2002. Enumeration of total bacteria and bacteria with genes for proteolytic activity in pure cultures and in environmental samples by quantitative PCR mediated amplification. J. Microbiol. Methods 49:235–245. , , , and .
- 2002. Microbiology of natural incubation. Pp. 179–191 in D. C. Deeming, ed. Avian incubation behaviour, environment and evolution. Oxford University Press, Oxford, U.K. , and .
- 1994. The microflora of the alimentary tract and avian pathogens: translocation and vertical transmission. Pp. 117–138 in R. G. Board and R. Fuller, eds. Microbiology of avian eggs. Chapman and Hall, London.
- 2005. The shelf life of bird eggs: testing egg viability using a tropical climate gradient. Ecology 86:2164–2175. , , and .
- 2007. A molecular comparison of plumage and soil bacteria across biogeographic, ecological, and taxonomical scales. Microb. Ecol. 54:65–81. , , , , and .
- 1973. The cuticle: a barrier to liquid and particle penetration of the shell of the hen's egg. Br. Poult. Sci. 14:69–97. , and .
- 1995. The microbiology of eggs. Pp. 81–104 in W. J. Standelman, O. J. Cotterill, eds. Egg science and technology. Food Products Press, Binghamton, NY. , and .
- 1964. The microbiological contamination of egg shells and egg packaging material. Poult. Sci. 43:584–595. , , , and .
- 1979. A note on microbial growth on eggshells. Br. Poult. Sci. 20:413–420. , , and .
- 2012. Yeast microbiota of raptors: a possible tool for environmental monitoring. Environ. Microbiol. Rep. 4:189–193. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Analysis of bacterial communities in soil by use of denaturing gradient gel electrophoresis and clone libraries, as influenced by different reverse primers. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 74:2717–2727. , and .
- 2012. Enterococci in the environment. Microbiol. Mol. Biol. Rev. 76:685–706. , , , , and .
- 2006. Occurrence of yeasts in cloacae of migratory birds. Mycopathologia 161:229–234. , , , , , , et al.
- 1998. Keratinophilic fungi associated with starlings (Sturnus vulgaris) in Brittany, France. Mycopathologia 143:9–12. , , and .
- 2001. DNA sequence quality trimming and vector removal. Bioinformatics 17:1093–1104. , and .
- 2012. Recovery of Salmonella from eggshell wash, eggshell crush, and egg internal contents of unwashed commercial shell eggs in Australia. Poult. Sci. 91:1739–1741. , and .
- 2006. PRIMER v6: User Manual/Tutorial. PRIMER-E, Plymouth, UK. , and .
- 2003. Trans-shell infection by pathogenic micro-organisms reduces the shelf life of non-incubated bird's eggs: a constraint on the onset of incubation? Proc. Biol. Sci. 270:2233–2240. , , , , and .
- 2005a. Microbial infection affects egg viability and incubation behavior in a tropical passerine. Behav. Ecol. 16:30–36. , , , , and .
- 2005b. Incubation reduces microbial growth on eggshells and the opportunity for trans-shell infection. Ecol. Lett. 8:532–537. , , , and .
- 2010. Experimental evidence that keeping eggs dry is a mechanism for the antimicrobial effects of avian incubation. Naturwissenschaften 97:1089–1095. , , and .
- 2010. Timing is everything: the regulation of type III secretion. Cell. Mol. Life Sci. 67:1065–1075. , , , and .
- 2004. Keratinophilic fungi on feathers of pigeon in Maharashtra, India Keratinophile. Mycoses 47:213–215.
- 2013. Niche dimensionality links biodiversity and invasibility of microbial communities (M Pfrender, Ed,). Funct. Ecol. 27:282–288. , , , and .
- 1993. ITS primers with enhanced specificity for basidiomycetes – application to the identification of mycorrhizae and rusts. Mol. Ecol. 2:113–118. , and .
- 2007. The effects of exposure and microbes on hatchability of eggs in open-cup and cavity nests. J. Avian Biol. 38:709–716. , , , , and .
- 2010. Intraspecific variation and interspecific differences in the bacterial and fungal assemblages of Blue Tit (Cyanistes caeruleus) and Great Tit (Parus major) Nests. Microb. Ecol. 59:221–232. and .
- 2012. Differences in culturable microbial communities in bird nestboxes according to orientation and influences on offspring quality in great tits (Parus major). Microb. Ecol. 63:986–995. , and .
- 2007. Use of 16S rRNA gene based clone libraries to assess microbial communities potentially involved in anaerobic methane oxidation in a Mediterranean cold seep. Microb. Ecol. 53:384–398. , , , , and .
- 1997. Analysis of actinomycete communities by specific amplification of genes encoding 16S rRNA and gel-electrophoretic separation in denaturing gradients. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 63:3233–3241. , , , and .
- 2012. Immune indexes of larks from desert and temperate regions show weak associations with life history but stronger links to environmental variation in microbial abundance. Physiol. Biochem. Zool. 85:504–515. , , , , , , et al.
- 2002. Exploring prokaryotic diversity in the genomic era. Genome Biol. 3:1–8.
- 2008. Eggshell structure, mode of development and growth rate in birds. Zoology 111:494–502. , and .
- 2008. Comparative study of shell swab and shell crush methods for the recovery of Salmonella from shell eggs. J. Food Saf. 28:482–498. , , , , and .
- 1980. A simple method for estimating evolutionary rates of base substitutions through comparative studies of nucleotide-sequences. J. Mol. Evol. 16:111–120.
- 2004. Nonparametric multiple test procedures with data-driven order of hypotheses and with weighted hypotheses. J. Stat. Plan. Inference 125:31–47.
- 2013. Comparison of a culture-based and a PCR-based methods for estimating bacterial abundance on eggshells, with comments on statistical analyses. J. Field Ornithol. 84:304–315. , , , , , and .
- 2007. Interactive Tree Of Life (iTOL): an online tool for phylogenetic tree display and annotation. Bioinformatics 23:127–128. , and .
- 1967. Cryptococcosis: current status. Am. J. Med. 45:922–932. , and .
- 2011. Keratinophilic fungi on feathers of common clinically healthy birds in Bahrain. Mycoses 54:71–77. , , and .
- 2010. DNA sampling from eggshell swabbing is widely applicable in wild bird populations as demonstrated in 23 species. Mol. Ecol. Resour. 11:481–493. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Chelex-based DNA isolation procedure for the identification of microbial communities of eggshell surfaces. Anal. Biochem. 397:253–255. , , , and .
- 2004. The influence of laying date and maternal age on eggshell thickness and pore density in Yellow-Eyed Penguins. The Condor 106:496–505. , , and .
- 1999. Feral pigeons as carriers of Cryptococcus laurentii, Cryptococcus uniguttulatus and Debaryomyces hansenii. Med. Mycol. 37:367–369. , , and .
- 2005. Recovery of Salmonella from commercial shell eggs by shell rinse and shell crush methodologies. Poult. Sci. 84:1955–1958. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Microscopic fungi in eggs of ring-necked pheasants kept in aviaries. Poult. Sci. 90:2467–2470. , , , and .
- 2010. Number and colour composition of nest lining feathers predict eggshell bacterial community in barn swallow nests: an experimental study. Funct. Ecol. 24:426–433. , , , and .
- 1999. Molecular microbial ecology manual, 1st ed. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht, the Netherlands. , , , and .
- 2008. Bacterial diversity of biofilm samples from deep mines in South Africa. Biokemistri 20:53–62. , , , , and .
- 1976. Mycotic flora in the lower digestive tract of feral pigeons (Columba livia) in the El Paso, Texas area. J. Wildl. Dis. 12:83–85. , , , and .
- 2011a. Bacterial loads on eggshells of the Pied Flycatcher: environmental and maternal factors. The Condor 113:200–208. , , , , and .
- 2011b. Prevalence of potentially pathogenic culturable bacteria on eggshells and in cloacae of female Pied Flycatchers in a temperate habitat in central Spain. J. Field Ornithol. 82:215–224. , , , , and .
- 2011c. Drying eggs to inhibit bacteria: incubation during laying in a cavity nesting passerine. Behav. Process. 88:142–148. , , , , and .
- 2012. Early onset of incubation and eggshell bacterial loads in at temperate-zone cavity-nesting passerine. The Condor 114:203–211. , , , , and .
- 1987. The neighbor-joining method: a new method for reconstructing phylogenetic trees. Mol. Biol. Evol. 4:406–425. and .
- 2009. Introducing mothur: open-source, platform-independent, community-supported software for describing and comparing microbial communities. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 75:7537–7541. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Microbial diversity of wild bird feathers revealed through culture-based and culture-independent techniques. Microb. Ecol. 50:40–47. , , , and .
- 2009. Avian incubation inhibits growth and diversification of bacterial assemblages on eggs. PLoS One 4:e4522. , , , and .
- 2012. Spatial and temporal variation of archaeal, bacterial and fungal communities in agricultural soils. PLoS One, 7:e51554. , , , and .
- 1999. Analysis of fungal diversity in the wheat rhizosphere by sequencing of cloned PCR-amplified genes encoding 18S rRNA and temperature gradient gel electrophoresis. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 65:2614–2621. , , , , and .
- 2012. The evolution of size of the uropygial gland: mutualistic feather mites and uropygial secretion reduce bacterial loads of eggshells and hatching failures of European birds. J. Evol. Biol. 25:1779–1791. , , , , , and .
- 1985. Measurement of in situ activities of nonphotosynthetic microorganisms in aquatic and terrestrial habitats. Annu. Rev. Microbiol. 39:321–346. , and .
- 2010. Ergosterol as an indicator of the presence of microscopic fungi in eggs for human consumption produced in different husbandry systems. Poult. Sci. 89:2491–2493. , , , , and .
- 2007. MEGA4: molecular evolutionary genetics analysis (MEGA) software version 4.0. Mol. Biol. Evol. 24:1596–1599. , , , and .
- 1990. Rapid genetic identification and mapping of enzymatically amplified ribosomal DNA from several Cryptococcus species. J. Bacteriol. 172:4238–4246. and .
- 2012. Effects of nest reuse and onset of incubation on microbial growth and viability of Wood Duck eggs. The Condor 114:720–725. , , and .
- 2007. Naive Bayesian classifier for rapid assignment of rRNA sequences into the new bacterial taxonomy. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 73:5261–5267. , , , and .
- 2011. Microbial and environmental effects on avian egg viability: do tropical mechanisms act in a temperate environment? Ecology 92:1137–1145. , , and .
- 1990. Amplification and direct sequencing of fungal ribosomal RNA genes for phylogenetics. Pp. 315–322 in M. A. Innis, D. H. Gelfand, J. J. Sninsky, T. J. White, eds. PCR protocols a guide to methods and applications. Academic Press, San Diego, CA. , , , and .
- 2007. Egg size, eggshell porosity, and incubation period in the marine bird family Alcidae. Auk 124:307–315. , and .