Asymmetric reproductive barriers and mosaic reproductive isolation: insights from Misty lake–stream stickleback
Version of Record online: 10 MAR 2014
© 2014 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 4, Issue 7, pages 1166–1175, April 2014
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2014; 4(7):1166–1175
- Issue online: 7 APR 2014
- Version of Record online: 10 MAR 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 31 JAN 2014
- Manuscript Revised: 30 JAN 2014
- Manuscript Received: 10 DEC 2013
- Swedish Research Council
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada
- 2013. Genetic and plastic contributions to trait divergence between parapatric habitats: female life history traits in threespine stickleback within the Misty Lake system. Evol. Ecol. Res. 15:473–487. , , , and .
- 1994. The evolutionary biology of the threespine stickleback. Oxford Univ. Press, New York, NY. , and .
- 2004. An experimental test of evolutionary trade-offs during temperature adaptation. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 104:8649–8654. , and .
- 2011. Quantitative genetic inheritance of morphological divergence in a lake stream stickleback ecotype pair: implications for reproductive isolation. J. Evol. Biol. 24:1975–1983. , , , , and .
- 2008. Natural selection drives patterns of lake-stream divergence in stickleback foraging morphology. J. Evol. Biol. 21:1653–1665. , , , and .
- 2009. Variable progress toward ecological speciation in parapatry: stickleback across eight lake-stream transitions. Evolution 63:1740–1753. , , and .
- 2010. Constraints on speciation suggested by comparing lake-stream stickleback divergence across two continents. Mol. Ecol. 19:4963–4978. , , , and .
- 2013. A practical guide to measuring local adaptation. Ecol. Lett. 16:1195–1205. doi: 10.1111/ele.12150. , , , and .
- 2011. Sympatric speciation in threespine stickleback: why not? Int. J. Ecol. 2011. doi: 10.1155/2011/942847.
- 2009. Phenotype-dependent native habitat preference facilitates divergence between parapatric lake and stream stickleback. Evolution 63:2004–2016. , , , , , and .
- 2010. Ecological release from interspecific competition leads to decoupled changes in population and individual niche width. Proc. R. Soc. B 277:1789–1797. , , , , , and .
- 2006. Divergence and speciation in sticklebacks. Pp. 83–126 in S. Ostlund Nilsson, I. Mayer and F. Huntingford, eds. The biology of the threespine stickleback. CRC Press, Taylor & Francis group, FL.
- 2008. Genetic and plastic components of divergent male intersexual behavior in Misty lake/stream stickleback. Behav. Ecol. 19:1217–1224. , , and .
- 2006. Ecological divergence exhibits consistently positive associations with reproductive isolation across disparate taxa. Proc. Natl Sci. Acad. U.S.A. 103:3209–3213. , , and .
- 1999. Ecological speciation in sticklebacks: environment dependent hybrid fitness. Evolution 53:866–873. , and .
- 2004. Selection against migrants contributes to the rapid evolution of ecologically dependent reproductive isolation. Evol. Ecol. Res. 6:1219–1236.
- 2009. Ecological speciation! Or the lack thereof? Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 66:1383–1398.
- 2004. How much of the variation in adaptive divergence can be explained by gene flow? An evaluation using lake stream stickleback pairs Evolution 58:2319–2331. , and .
- 2002. Adaptive divergence and the balance between selection and gene flow: lake and stream stickleback in the Misty system. Evolution 56:1199–1216. , , and .
- 2009. Along the speciation continuum in sticklebacks. J. Fish Biol. 75:2000–2036. , , , and .
- 2011. Genetic divergence in morphology-performance mapping between Misty Lake and inlet stickleback. J. Evol. Biol. 24:23–35. , , , , and .
- 2009. A quantitative survey of local adaptation and fitness trade offs. Am. Nat. 173:579–588.
- 2008. Lack of assortative mating between incipient species of stickleback from a hybrid zone. Behaviour 145:463–484. , , and .
- 2001. Polymorphism and speciation in Arctic charr. J. Fish Biol. 58:605–638. , and .
- 2012. Parallel and nonparallel aspects of ecological, phenotypic, and genetic divergence across replicate population pairs of lake and stream stickleback. Evolution 66:401–418. , , , and .
- 2004. Conceptual issues in local adaptation. Ecol. Lett. 7:1225–1241. , and .
- 2009. A role for a neo-sex chromosome in stickleback speciation. Nature 416:1079–1083. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Sexual imprinting on ecologically divergent traits leads to sexual isolation in sticklebacks. Proc. Roy. Soc. B 287:2604–2610. , , and .
- 1993. Parapatric lake and stream sticklebacks on northern Vancouver Island: disjunct distribution or parallel evolution? Can. J. Zool. 71:11–17. , and .
- 2002. Speciation in nature: the threespine stickleback model systems. Trends Ecol. Evol. 17:480–488. , and .
- 2011. Mate preference across the speciation continuum in a clade of mimetic butterflies. Evolution 65:1489–1500. , , , , , and .
- 2007. Quantifying the constraining influence of gene flow on adaptive divergence in the lake stream threespine stickleback system. Evolution 61:2015–2026. , , , and .
- 2007. Divergent host plant adaptation and reproductive isolation between ecotypes of Timema cristinae walking sticks. Am. Nat. 169:151–162.
- 2012. Ecological speciation. Oxford Univ. Press, Inc, New York.
- 2005. Reproductive isolation caused by natural selection against immigrants from divergent habitats. Evolution 59:705–719. , , and .
- 2009. Ecological explanations for (incomplete) speciation. Trends Ecol. Evol. 24:145–156. , , and .
- 2009. Genetically based differences in nest characteristics between lake, inlet, and hybrid threespine stickleback from the Misty system, British Columbia, Canada. Evol. Ecol. Res. 11:905–919. , , and .
- 2010. Testing for mating isolation between ecotypes: laboratory experiments with lake, stream and hybrid stickleback. J. Evol. Biol. 23:2694–2708. , , , , , and .
- 2008. Disentangling interactions between adaptive divergence and gene flow when ecology drives diversification. Ecol. Lett. 11:624–636. , and .
- 2012. Divergent selection and then what not: the conundrum of missing reproductive isolation in Misty Lake and Stream stickleback. Int. J. Ecol. 2012. doi: 10.1155/2012/902438. , , , and .
- 2012. Genome divergence during evolutionary diversification as revealed in replicate lake–stream stickleback population pairs. Mol. Ecol. 12:2852–2862. , , , and .
- 2009. Adaptive radiation, nonadaptive radiation, ecological speciation and nonecological speciation. Trends Ecol. Evol. 24:394–399. , and .
- 2002. A test of ecologically dependent postmating isolation between sympatric stickleback. Evolution 56:322–329.
- 2005. Ecological speciation. Ecol. Lett. 8:336–352. , and .
- 2012. Strong asymmetry in the relative strengths of prezygotic and postzygotic barriers between two damselfly sister species. Evolution 66:690–707. , , and .
- 2000. The ecology of adaptive radiation. Oxford Univ. Press, Inc., New York.
- 2011. Magic traits in speciation: ‘magic’ but not rare?. Trends Ecol. Evol. 26:389–397. , , , , and .
- 2013. Widespread evidence for incipient ecological speciation: a meta-analysis of isolation-by-ecology. Ecol. Lett. 16:940–950. , and .
- 2008. Genetic and environmental contributions to the morphology of lake and stream stickleback: implications for gene flow and reproductive isolation. Evol. Ecol. Res. 10:849–866. , , , and .
- 2010. Sympatric diversification as influenced by ecological opportunity and historical contingency in a young species lineage of whitefish. Evol. Ecol. Res. 12:929–947. , , , , , and .
- 2007. A coevolutionary arms race causes ecological speciation in crossbills. Am. Nat. 169:455–465. , and .
- 2012. Non-ecological speciation, niche conservatism and thermal adaptation: how are they connected? Org. Divers. Evol. 12:229–240.
- 2006. Speciation in reverse: morphological and genetic evidence of the collapse of a three-spined stickleback (Gasterosteus aculeatus) species pair. Mol. Ecol. 15:343–355. , , , , , and .
- 2004. Population genetic structure of Arctic Charr, Salvelinus alpinus from northwest Europe on large and small spatial scales. Mol. Ecol. 13:1129–1142. , , , , , , et al.