110 Years of change in urban tree stocks and associated carbon storage
Article first published online: 20 MAR 2014
© 2014 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 4, Issue 8, pages 1413–1422, April 2014
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2014; 4(8):1413–1422
- Issue published online: 22 APR 2014
- Article first published online: 20 MAR 2014
- Manuscript Revised: 7 FEB 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 7 FEB 2014
- Manuscript Received: 10 OCT 2013
- Biodiversity and Ecosystem Service Sustainability consortium
- NERC. Grant Numbers: NE/J015369/1, NE/J015237/1
- 2001. Cool surfaces and shade trees to reduce energy use and improve air quality in urban areas. Sol. Energy 70:295–310. , , and .
- Squirrels in suburbia: influence of urbanisation on the occurrence and distribution of a common exotic mammal. Urban Ecosyst. doi: 10.1007/s11252-013-0331-2. , , and . In press.
- 2008. Trees in Towns II: a new survey of urban trees in England and their condition and management. Department for Communities and Local Government, London. , and .
- 2011. Detecting one-hundred-year environmental changes in western China using seven-year repeat photography. PLoS ONE 6:e25008. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Temporal changes in greenspace in a highly urbanised region. Biol. Lett. 7:763–766. , , , , , and .
- 2008. City-wide relationships between green spaces, urban land use and topography. Urban Ecosyst. 11:269–287. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Mapping an urban ecosystem service: quantifying above-ground carbon storage at a city-wide scale. J. Appl. Ecol. 48:1125–1134. , , , , and .
- Department for Communities and Local Government. 2006. Tree Preservation Orders: a guide to the law and good practice. Her Majesty's Stationery Office, London.
- Department for Communities and Local Government. 2012. Protected trees: a guide to tree preservation procedures. Her Majesty's Stationery Office, London.
- 2013. Simple and low-cost method of planning for tree growth and lifetime effects on solar photovoltaic systems performance. Sol. Energy 95:300–307. , , and .
- 2011. An invasive urban forest pest invades natural environments — Asian long-horned beetle in northeastern US hardwood forests. Can. J. For. Res. 41:1729–1742. , and .
- 2005. Development and application of an urban tree air quality score for photochemical pollution episodes using the Birmingham, United Kingdom, area as a case study. Environ. Sci. Technol. 39:6730–6738. , , , , and .
- 2010. Urbanisation and individual species. Pp. 53–87 in Gaston. KJ, ed. Urban ecology. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.
- 2009. Habitat influences on urban avian assemblages. Ibis 151:19–39. , , and .
- 1994. The ecological flora database. J. Ecol. 82:415–425. , and .
- Forestry Commission. 2001. Inventory report for England. National Inventory of Woodland and Trees. Forestry Commission, Edinburgh.
- 2007. Psychological benefits of greenspace increase with biodiversity. Biol. Lett. 3:390–394. , , , , and .
- 2013. Managing urban ecosystems for goods and services. J. Appl. Ecol. 50:830–840. , , and .
- 2012. A time series of urban forestry in Los Angeles. Urban Ecosyst. 15:233–246. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. The potential of tree planting to climate-proof high density residential areas in Manchester, UK. Landsc. Urban Plan. 104:140–417. , , and .
- 2010. Evaluating the impact of government land use policies on tree canopy coverage. Land Use Policy 27:407–414. , , and .
- 2012. Pollution attenuation by roadside greenbelt in and around urban areas. Urban For. Urban Greening 11:460–464. , , , , , and .
- 2004. Evaluation of heritage trees for conservation and management in Guangzhou city (China). Environ. Manage. 33:74–86.
- 2001. Environment and crime in the inner city - does vegetation reduce crime? Environ. Behav. 33:343–367. , and .
- Land Use Consultants. 1993. Trees in towns. HMSO, London, U.K.
- 2010. The impact of land development regulation on residential tree cover: an empirical evaluation using high-resolution IKONOS imagery. Landsc. Urban Plan. 94:94–104. , and .
- 2013. Height competition between Quercus petraea and Fagus sylvatica natural regeneration in mixed and uneven-aged stands. For. Ecol. Manage. 304:391–398. , , , , and .
- 2011. Nature of vegetation and building morphology characteristics across a city: influence on shadow patterns and mean radiant temperatures in London. Urban Ecosyst. 14:617–634. , and .
- 2012. Global decline in large old trees. Science 338:1305–1306. , , and .
- 2006. Green space, urbanity, and health: how strong is the relation? J. Epidemiol. Community Health 60:587–592. , , , , and .
- 2013. Urban warming drives insect pest abundance on street trees. PLoS ONE 8:e59687. , , , and .
- 1997. Carbon in the vegetation and soils of Great Britain. J. Environ. Manage. 49:413–433. , and .
- 2010. Urban vegetation change after a hundred years in a tropical city (San José de Costa Rica). Revista de Biología Tropical 58:1367–1386. , and .
- 2011. Expansion of canopy-forming willows over the twentieth century on Herschel Island, Yukon Territory, Canada. Ambio 40:610–623. , , , , , , et al.
- 1993. Historical vegetation change in Oakland and its implications for urban forest management. J. Arboric. 19:313–319.
- 2002. Carbon storage and sequestration by urban trees in the USA. Environ. Pollut. 116:381–389. , and .
- Office for National Statistics (2010) Population Estimates for UK, England and Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland mid-2010 Population Estimates. Available at http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/pop-estimate/population-estimates-for-uk–england-and-wales–scotland-and-northern-ireland/mid-2010-population-estimates/index.html (accessed 30 September 2011).
- 2013. FORUM: challenges and future directions in urban afforestation. J. Appl. Ecol. 50:1169–1177. , , , and .
- 2005. Modeling the environmental impacts of urban land use and land cover change—a study in Merseyside, UK. Landsc. Urban Plan. 71:295–310. , , and .
- 2013. Worth a thousand words. Science 341:482.
- 1989) Space-for-time substitution as an alternative to long-term studies. Pp. 110–135 in G. E. Likens, ed. Long-term studies in ecology: approaches and alternatives. Springer-Verlag, New York, USA. (
- 2012. A systematic quantitative review of urban tree benefits, costs, and assessment methods across cities in different climatic zones. Urban For. Urban Greening 11:351–363. , , and .
- 2012. Global forecasts of urban expansion to 2030 and direct impacts on biodiversity and carbon pools. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 109:16083–16088. , , and .
- 2005. The abiotic urban environment: impact of urban growing conditions on urban vegetation. Pp. 281–323 in C. C. Konijnendijk, K. Nilsson, T. B. Randrup, J. Schipperijn, eds. Urban forests and trees. Springer, Berlin. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Large trees are keystone structures in urban parks. Conserv. Lett. 5:115–122. , , , , and .
- 2008. Street trees and stormwater management. Arboricultural J. 30:297–310. , , and .
- 1986. Human responses to vegetation and landscapes. Landsc. Urban Plan. 13:29–44.
- Urban Green Spaces Task Force. 2002. Green spaces, better places: final Report of the urban green spaces taskforce. DTLR, London.
- 2011. A century of tree line changes in sub-Arctic Sweden shows local and regional variability and only a minor influence of 20th century climate warming. J. Biogeogr. 38:907–921. , , , , , and .
- 2009. The effect of duration of vegetation management on broadleaved woodland creation by direct seeding. Forestry 82:343–359.
- 2011. 90 years of forest cover change in an urbanizing watershed: spatial and temporal dynamics. Landscape Ecol. 26:645–659. , , and .