Two sexes, one body: intra- and intersex covariation of gamete phenotypes in simultaneous hermaphrodites
Article first published online: 18 MAR 2014
© 2014 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 4, Issue 8, pages 1340–1346, April 2014
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2014; 4(8):1340–1346
- Issue published online: 22 APR 2014
- Article first published online: 18 MAR 2014
- Manuscript Revised: 20 FEB 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 20 FEB 2014
- Manuscript Received: 4 FEB 2014
- Australian Research Council
- 2011. Intra-locus sexual conflict and sexually antagonistic genetic variation in hermaphroditic animals. Proceed. Royal Soc. B: Biol. Sci. 278:161–169.
- 2007. Precopulatory stabbing, hypodermic injections and unilateral copulations in a hermaphroditic sea slug. Biol. Lett. 3:121–124. , and .
- 2005. Sexual conflict. Princeton Univ. Press, Princeton. , and .
- 2009. How does breeding system variation modulate sexual antagonism? Biol. Lett. 5:717–720. , , , , , , et al.
- 1995. Controlling the false discovery rate: a practical and powerful approach to multiple testing. J. Royal Stat. Soc. Series B 57:289–300. , and .
- 1947. The development and growth of Ciona. J. Marine Biol. Assoc. U.K. 26:616–625.
- 2007. A tale of two matrices: multivariate approaches in evolutionary biology. J. Evol. Biol. 20:1–8.
- 2007. The quick and the dead? Sperm competition and sexual conflict in the sea. Evolution 61:2693–2700. , and .
- 2009. Intralocus sexual conflict. Trends Ecol. Evol. 24:280–288. , and .
- 2006. Evolutionary conflicts of interest between males and females. Curr. Biol. 16:R744–R754.
- 1979. Simultaneous hermaphroditism and sexual selection. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 76:2480–2484.
- 2009. The sea squirt Ciona intestinalis. Cold Spr. Harb. Prot. 2009:1–7. , , , and .
- 2008. Gamete plasticity in a broadcast spawning marine invertebrate. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 105:13508–13513. , and .
- 1874. The descent of man, and selection in relation to sex, 2nd ed. John Murray, London.
- 2013. Sexual selection and the evolution of egg-sperm interactions in broadcast-spawning invertebrates. Biol. Bull. 224:166–183. , and .
- 2012. Complex patterns of multivariate selection on the ejaculate of a broadcast spawning marine invertebrate. Evolution 66:2451–2460. , , and .
- 1992. Spermatozoan ultrastructure and spermatogenesis in aplousobranch ascidians, with some phylogenetic considerations. Mar. Biol. 113:77–87.
- 2004. Estimation of genetic variances and covariances by restricted maximum likelihood using PROC MIXED. Pp. 11–34 in A. M. Saxton, eds. Genetic analysis of complex traits using SAS. SAS Institute Inc., Cary, NC. .
- 2006. Animals mix it up too: the distribution of self-fertilization among hermaphroditic animals. Evolution 60:1816–1824. , and .
- 2013. The maintenance of sperm variability: context-dependent selection on sperm morphology in a broadcast spawning invertebrate. Evolution 67:1383–1395. , , and .
- 2005. Shooting darts: co-evolution and counter-adaptation in hermaphroditic snails. BMC Evol. Biol. 5:25. , and .
- 1982. The ascidian sperm reaction. Am. Zool. 22:841–849.
- 2005. Historical introduction, overview, and reproductive biology of the protochordates. Can. J. Zool. 83:1–7. .
- 1980. Sexual dimorphism, sexual selection, and adaptation in polygenic characters. Evolution 34:292–305.
- 1983. The measurement of selection on correlated characters. Evolution 37:1210–1226. , and .
- 2006. Sexual selection: lessons from hermaphrodite mating systems. Integr. Comp. Biol. 46:349–367. .
- 1995. The ecology of fertilization in free-spawning invertebrates. Pp. 123–156 in L. R. McEdward, ed. Ecology of marine invertebrate larvae. CRC Press, Boca Raton.
- 1996. Effects of gamete traits on fertilization in the sea and the evolution of sexual dimorphism. Nature 382:153–155.
- 2008. Gamete traits influence the variance in reproductive success, the intensity of sexual selection, and the outcome of sexual conflict among congeneric sea urchins. Evolution 62:1305–1316.
- 2010. Gamete release and spawning behavior in broadcast spawning marine invertebrates. Pp. 99–120 in J. L. Leonard, A. Córdoba-Aguilar, eds. The evolution of primary sexual characters in animals, Vol. 99–120. Oxford Univ. Press, NY. , and .
- 2003a. Effects of settler size and density on early postsettlement survival of Ciona intestinalis in the field. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 259:139–144. , and .
- 2003b. Sources of variation in larval quality for free-spawning marine invertebrates: egg size and the local sperm environment. Invert. Rep. Dev. 44:63–70. , and .
- 2008. The evolutionary ecology of offspring size in marine invertebrates. Adv. Mar. Biol. 53:1–60. , and .
- 2002. Sperm environment affects offspring quality in broadcast spawning marine invertebrates. Ecol. Lett. 5:173–176. , , and .
- 1998. Mating conflicts and sperm competition in simultaneous hermaphrodites. Pp. 219–254 in T. R. Birkhead and A. P. Møller, eds. Sperm competition and sexual selection. Academic Press, New York.
- 1994. Models of sexual selection in hermaphrodites, especially plants. Am. Nat. 144:S100–S125.
- 2006. Sexual conflict over mating and fertilization: an overview. Philos. Trans. Royal Soc. B: Biol. Sci. 361:235–259.
- 1972. The origin and evolution of gamete dimorphism and the male-female phenomenon. J. Theor. Biol. 36:529–553. , , and .
- 2001. Evolution of egg target size: an analysis of selection on correlated characters. Evolution 55:2470–2478.
- 2004. Life-history consequences of investment in free-spawned eggs and their accessory coats. Am. Nat. 163:735–753.
- 2011. A revision of the Pyura stolonifera species complex (Tunicata, Ascidiacea), with a description of a new species from Australia. Zootaxa 2754:27–40. , and .
- 2009. Sex allocation and sexual conflict in simultaneously hermaphroditic animals. Biol. Lett. 5:705–708. , and .
- 2013. Sex allocation and investment into pre- and post-copulatory traits in simultaneous hermaphrodites: the role of polyandry and local sperm competition. Philos. Trans. Royal Soc. B: Biol. Sci. 368:20120052. and .
- 2012. Anisogamy, chance and the evolution of sex roles. Trends Ecol. Evol. 27:260–264. , , and .
- 1995. Evolution of larvae and developmental modes. Pp. 413–447 in L. R. McEdward, ed. Ecology of marine invertebrate larvae. CRC Press, Boca Raton.