Genomic heritability estimation for the early life-history transition related to propensity to migrate in wild rainbow and steelhead trout populations
Article first published online: 19 MAR 2014
© 2014 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 4, Issue 8, pages 1381–1388, April 2014
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2014; 4(8):1381–1388
- Issue published online: 22 APR 2014
- Article first published online: 19 MAR 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 24 FEB 2014
- Manuscript Revised: 21 FEB 2014
- Manuscript Received: 1 JAN 2014
- China Central-level Nonprofit Scientific Research Institutes Special Funds. Grant Number: 201110
- USDA National Institute of Food and Agriculture. Grant Number: 2011-67015-30333
- University of Minnesota. Grant Number: MN-16-043
- 2007. Effective population size of steelhead trout: influence of variance in reproductive success, hatchery programs, and genetic compensation between life-history forms. Mol. Ecol. 16:953–966. , , , , and .
- 2002. Trout and salmon of North America. The Free Press, New York, NY.
- 2013. Joint genomic prediction and estimation of variance components of additive and dominance effects using SNP markers. International Plant & Animal Genome XXI, San Diego, CA. , and .
- 2014. Mixed model methods for genomic prediction and variance component estimation of additive and dominance effects using SNP markers. PLoS ONE 9:e87666. , , , and .
- 1988. Early sexual maturation in males of wild sea trout, Salmo trutta L., inhibits smoltification. J. Fish Biol. 33:741–749. , and .
- 1950. Heritability of threshold characters. Genetics 35:212–236. , and .
- 1997. The role of growth in endocrine regulation of salmon smoltification. Fish Physiol. Biochem. 17:231–236. , , , , and .
- 1991. Evolutionary genetics of animal migration. Am. Zool. 31:253–264.
- 2003. Genetic comparison between sympatric anadromous steelhead and freshwater resident rainbow trout in British Columbia, Canada. Conserv. Genet. 4:227–231. , and .
- 1983. Sire evaluation for ordered categorical data with a threshold model. Genet. Sel. Evol. 15:201–224. , and .
- 2011. Using the genomic relationship matrix to predict the accuracy of genomic selection. J. Anim. Breed. Genet. 128:409–421. , , and .
- 2010. Genome-wide association and genomic selection in animal breeding. Genome 53:876–883. , and .
- 2009. Invited review: genomic selection in dairy cattle: progress and challenges. J. Dairy Sci. 92:433–443. , , , and .
- 2012. Genetic architecture of migration-related traits in rainbow and steelhead trout, Oncorhynchus mykiss. G3 2:1113–1127. , , , , and .
- 2013. Genome-wide association reveals genetic basis for the propensity to migrate in wild populations of rainbow and steelhead trout. Mol. Ecol. 22:3061–3076. , , , and .
- 1976. Smolt transformation: evolution, behavior, and physiology. J. Fish. Res. Board Can. 33:1233–1252.
- 1988. The physiology of smolting salmon. Pp. 275–344 in W. S. Hoar and D. J. Randall, eds. Fish physiology. Academic Press, San Diego, CA.
- 1999. Heritable variation and evolution under favourable and unfavourable conditions. Trends Ecol. Evol. 14:96–101. , and .
- 2012. Smoltification in an impounded, adfluvial redband trout population upstream from an impassable dam: does it persist? Trans. Am. Fish. Soc. 141:68–75. , , and .
- 2000. Linear and threshold model genetic parameters for disease, fertility and milk production in dairy cattle. Anim. Sci. 71:411–419. , , and .
- 2011. Estimating missing heritability for disease from genome-wide association studies. Am. J. Hum. Genet. 88:294–305. , , , and .
- 2012. Estimation of pleiotropy between complex diseases using single-nucleotide polymorphism-derived genomic relationships and restricted maximum likelihood. Bioinformatics 28:2540–2542. , , , , and .
- 1998. Chapter 25 Threshold characters. Pp. 727–744 in M. Lynch and B. Walsh, eds. Genetics and analysis of quantitative traits. Sinauer, Sunderland, MA. , and .
- 2008. Parallel and serial computing tools for testing single-locus and epistatic SNP effects of quantitative traits in genomewide association studies. BMC Bioinformatics 9:1471–2105. , , , , and .
- 2012. A conserved haplotype controls parallel adaptation in geographically distant salmonid populations. Mol. Ecol. 21:237–249. , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Genetic divergence of sympatric resident and anadromous forms of Oncorhynchus mykiss in the Walla Walla River, USA. J. Fish Biol. 65:471–488. , , , and .
- 2008. The genetic basis of smoltification-related traits in Oncorhynchus mykiss. Genetics 179:1559–1575. , , , and .
- 2006. Evidence of partial anadromy and resident-form dispersal bias on a fine scale in populations of Oncorhynchus mykiss. Conserv. Genet. 7:613–619. , , , , and .
- 2002. First documented case of anadromy in a population of introduced rainbow trout in Patagonia, Argentina: response to comment. Trans. Am. Fish. Soc. 131:585–588. , , and .
- R Core Team 2012. R:a language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria.
- 2013. Fine-grained adaptive divergence in an amphibian: genetic basis of phenotypic divergence and the role of nonrandom gene flow in restricting effective migration among wetlands. Mol. Ecol. 22:1322–1340. , , , , and .
- S. D. McCormick. 2008. Smoltification. Pp. 639–681 in Fish larval physiology. R. N. Finn, B. G. Kapoor, eds. Science Publisher Inc. Enfiled(NH) & IBH Publishing Co. Pvt. Ltd., New Delhi, India. , , ,
- 2004a. A comparison of genetic variation between an anadromous steelhead, Oncorhynchus mykiss, population and seven derived populations sequestered in freshwater for 70 years. Environ. Biol. Fishes 69:111–125. , , , and .
- 2004b. Genetic architecture of growth and early life-history transitions in anadromous and derived freshwater populations of steelhead. J. Fish Biol. 65:286–307. , , and .
- 2008. Efficient methods to compute genomic predictions. J. Dairy Sci. 91:4414–4423.
- 2013. GVCBLUP: a computer package for genomic prediction and variance component estimation of additive and dominance effects using SNP markers. Version 3.7. Department of Animal Science, University of Minnesota, Saint Paul, MN. , , , , and .
- 2011. GCTA: a tool for genomewide complex trait analysis. Am. J. Hum. Genet. 88:76–82. , , , and .
- 2000. Population structure of sympatric anadromous and nonanadromous Oncorhynchus mykiss: evidence from spawning surveys and otolith microchemistry. Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 57:2152–2162. , and .