The genetics of phenotypic plasticity. XIII. Interactions with developmental instability
Article first published online: 18 MAR 2014
© 2014. This article is a U.S. Government work and is in the public domain in the USA. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 4, Issue 8, pages 1347–1360, April 2014
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2014; 4(8):1347–1360
- Issue published online: 22 APR 2014
- Article first published online: 18 MAR 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 24 FEB 2014
- Manuscript Revised: 21 FEB 2014
- Manuscript Received: 30 DEC 2013
- U.S. National Science Foundation
- 1983. Radiation induced developmental instability in Arabidopsis thaliana. Theor. Appl. Genet. 65:85–92. , and .
- 2004. Modeling the evolution of phenotypic plasticity. Pp. 82–97 in T. J. DeWitt and S. M. Scheiner, eds. Phenotypic plasticity. Functional and conceptual approaches. Oxford Univ. Press, New York. , and .
- 2004. Phenotypic plasticity. Functional and conceptual approaches. Oxford Univ. Press, New York. , and .
- 1998. Costs and limits of phenotypic plasticity. Trends Ecol. Evol. 13:77–81. , , and .
- 1988. Canalization and phenotypic variation caused by changes in the temperature of development. J. Hered. 79:448–452. , and .
- 1976. Genetic polymorphism in heterogeneous environments. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 7:1–32. , , and .
- 2008. Selection for environmental variation: a statistical analysis and power calculations to detect response. Genetics 180:2209–2226. , , , and .
- 1965. Selection for temperature sensitivity in scute Drosophila. Genetics 52:723–728.
- 1973. The assessment and specificity of environmental and genotype-environmental components of variability. Heredity 30:111–126. , and .
- 2004. Evidence for genetic control of adult weight plasticity in the snail Helix aspersa. Genetics 168:2089–2097. , , , , , , et al.
- 1989. Environmental sensitivity and heterosis for egg laying in Drosophila melanogaster. Theor. Appl. Genet. 78:243–248. , , , , and .
- 1972. Stabilizing and disruptive selection on a mutant character in Drosophila. IV. Selection on sensitivity to temperature. Genetics 71:551–566. , , , and .
- 2013. The genetics of phenotypic plasticity. XII. Temporal and spatial heterogeneity. Ecol. Evol. 3:4596–4609.
- 2014. Bet-hedging as a complex interaction among developmental instability, environmental heterogeneity, dispersal, and life history strategy. Ecol. Evol. 4:505–515.
- 2012. The genetics of phenotypic plasticity. X Variation versus uncertainty. Ecol. Evol. 2:751–767. , and .
- 1991. The genetics of phenotypic plasticity. III. Genetic correlations and fluctuating asymmetries. J. Evol. Biol. 4:51–68. , , and .
- 2012. The genetics of phenotypic plasticity. XI. Joint evolution of plasticity and dispersal rate. Ecol. Evol. 2:2027–2039. , , and .
- 2012. Inheritance beyond plain heritability: variance-controlling genes in Arabidopsis thaliana. PLoS Genet. 8:e1002839. , , , and .
- 2012. Bet-hedging—a triple trade-off between means, variances and correlations. Biol. Rev. 87:742–755. , and .
- 2013. Developmental instability is genetically correlated with phenotypic plasticity, constraining heritability, and fitness. Evolution 67:2923–2935. , , and .
- 1960. Experiments on canalizing selection. Genet. Res. 1:140–150.
- 1966. Selection for developmental canalization. Genet. Res. 7:303–312. , and .