Probabilistic maturation reaction norms assessed from mark–recaptures of wild fish in their natural habitat
Article first published online: 1 APR 2014
© 2014 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 4, Issue 9, pages 1601–1610, May 2014
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2014; 4(9):1601–1610
- Issue published online: 5 MAY 2014
- Article first published online: 1 APR 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 27 FEB 2014
- Manuscript Revised: 25 FEB 2014
- Manuscript Received: 5 DEC 2013
- Norwegian Research Council. Grant Number: 201917
- 2013. Interacting effects of temperature and density on individual growth performance in a wild population of brown trout. Freshw. Biol. 58:1329–1339. , , , , and .
- 2004. Estimating reaction norms for age and size at maturation when age at first reproduction is unknown. Evol. Ecol. Res. 6:659–678. , , , and .
- 2005. Maturation of Newfoundland American plaice (Hippoglossoides platessoides): long-term trends in maturation reaction norms despite low fishing mortality?. ICES J. Mar. Sci. 62:56–64. , , , and .
- 2004. Maternal age as determinant of larval growth and survival in a marine fish, Sebastes melanops. Ecology 85:1258–1264. , , and .
- 2013. Limitation and facilitation of one of the world's most invasive fish: an intercontinental comparison. Ecology 94:356–367. , , , , , , et al.
- 1998. Model selection and inference: a practical information-theoretic approach. Springer, New York, NY. , and .
- 2008. Seasonal mortality and the effect of body size: a review and an empirical test using individual data on brown trout. Funct. Ecol. 22:663–673. , , and .
- 2009. Reversal of evolutionary downsizing caused by selective harvest of large fish. Proc. R. Soc. B 276:2015–2020. , , and .
- 2009. Human predators outpace other agents of trait change in the wild. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 106:952–954. , , , , , and .
- 2009. Survival costs of reproduction vary with age in North American red squirrels. Proc. R. Soc. B 276:1129–1135. , , , , and .
- 2012. Comparing rates of contemporary evolution in life-history traits for exploited fish stocks. Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 69:1105–1120. , , , and .
- 2013. The importance of social dimension and maturation stage for the probabilistic maturation reaction norm in Poecilia reticulata. J. Evol. Biol. 26:2184–2196. , and .
- 2011. Anthropogenic disturbance and evolutionary parameters: a lemon shark population experiencing habitat loss. Evol. Appl. 4:1–17. , , , , and .
- 2007. Probabilistic maturation reaction norms: their history, strengths, and limitations. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 335:253–269. , and .
- 2013. Economic repercussions of fisheries-induced evolution. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 110:12259–12264. , , , , and .
- 2004. Maturity changes in Norwegian spring-spawning herring Clupea harengus: compensatory or evolutionary responses? Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 272:245–256. , and .
- 2014. Separating mortality and emigration: modelling space use, dispersal and survival with robust-design spatial capture-recapture data. Methods Ecol. Evol. (in press). , and .
- 2004. Adaptive changes in harvested populations: plasticity and evolution of age and size at maturation. Proc. R. Soc. B 271:415–423. , , and .
- 1996. Reproductive strategies of Atlantic salmon: ecology and evolution. Rev. Fish Biol. Fish. 6:379–416.
- 2011. High hunting pressure selects for earlier birth date: wild boar as a case study. Evolution 65:3100–3112. , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Fisheries-induced trends in reaction norms for maturation in North Sea plaice. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 257:247–257. , , , , and .
- 2014. A standardized approach to estimate life history tradeoffs in evolutionary ecology. Oikos 123:151–160. , , and .
- 2013. How to measure maturation: a comparison of probabilistic methods used to test for genotypic variation and plasticity in the decision to mature. Evolution 67:525–538. , , , and .
- 2008. Detecting fisheries-induced life-history evolution: an overview of the reaction-norm approach. Bull. Mar. Sci. 83:69–93. , and .
- 2002. Measuring probabilistic reaction norms for age and size at maturation. Evolution 56:669–678. , , and .
- 1994. Age- and size-specific costs of reproduction within populations of brook trout, Salvelinus fontinalis. Oikos 70:12–20.
- 2011. Old wine in new bottles: reaction norms in salmonid fishes. Heredity 106:421–437.
- 2011. Ecology of Atlantic salmon and brown trout. Habitat as a template for life histories. Springer, New York, NY. , and .
- 2007. Managing evolving fish stocks. Science 318:1247–1248. , , , , , , et al.
- 1994. Time of start of spawning in Atlantic cod (Gadus morhua L) females in relation to vitellogenic oocyte diameter, temperature, fish length and condition. J. Fish Biol. 45:719–735.
- 2011. Are low but statistically significant levels of genetic differentiation in marine fishes “biologically meaningful”? A case study of coastal Atlantic cod. Mol. Ecol. 20:768–783. , , , , , and .
- 2008. The role of growth history in determining age and size at maturation in exploited fish populations. Fish Fish. 9:201–207. , , and .
- 2012. Evolutionary and ecological feedbacks of the survival cost of reproduction. Evol. Appl. 5:245–255. , , and .
- 2000. Fishing, selection, and phenotypic evolution. ICES J. Mar. Sci. 57:659–668.
- 1992. Modeling survival and testing biological hypotheses using marked animals: a unified approach with case studies. Ecol. Monogr. 62:67–118. , , , and .
- 2007. Integrated perspectives on genetic and environmental effects on maturation can reduce potential for errors of inference. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 335:301–310. , and .
- 1989. Generalized linear models. Chapman and Hall/CRC, Boca Raton, FL. , and .
- 1957. Have the genetic patterns of fishes been altered by introductions or by selective fishing? J. Fish. Res. Board Canada 14:797–806.
- 2007. Fisheries-induced evolutionary changes in maturation reaction norms in North Sea sole Solea solea. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 351:189–199. , , and .
- 2006. Does size matter most? The effect of growth history on probabilistic reaction norm for salmon maturation. Evolution 60:1516–1521. , and .
- 2009. Plasticity in probabilistic reaction norms for maturation in a salmonid fish. Biol. Lett. 5:628–631. , , and .
- 1986. Acquisition and allocation of resources: their influence on variation in life history tactics. Am. Nat. 128:137–142. , and .
- 2011. Fitness landscape of Atlantic cod shaped by harvest selection and natural selection. Evol. Ecol. 25:695–710. , and .
- 2001. An evaluation of visible implant elastomer for marking age-0 brown trout. North Am. J. Fish. Manage. 21:967–970. , and .
- 2005. Small-scale spatial variation in age and size at maturity of stream-dwelling brown trout, Salmo trutta. Ecol. Freshw. Fish 14:202–208. , and .
- 2004. Maturation trends indicative of rapid evolution preceded the collapse of northern cod. Nature 428:932–935. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Assessing changes in age and size at maturation in collapsing populations of Atlantic cod (Gadus morhua). Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 62:811–823. , , , , , and .
- 2009. Comparison of demographic and direct methods to calculate probabilistic maturation reaction norms for Flemish Cap cod (Gadus morhua). Evol. Appl. 2:291–298. , , and .
- 1990. Feasibility of using implantable passive integrated transponder (PIT) tags in salmonids. Am. Fish. Soc. Symp. 7:317–322. , , and .
- 1990. Experimentally induced life-history evolution in a natural population. Nature 346:357–359. , , and .
- 2006. The importance of growth and mortality costs in the evolution of the optimal life history. J. Evol. Biol. 19:1920–1930. , , and .
- 2010. Mating patterns and determinants of individual reproductive success in brown trout (Salmo trutta) revealed by parentage analyses of an entire stream living population. Mol. Ecol. 19:3193–3205. , , , and .
- 2012. Life history and demographic determinants of effective/census size ratios as exemplified by brown trout (Salmo trutta). Evol. Appl. 5:607–618. , , , , and .
- 2009. Life history change in commercially exploited fish stocks: an analysis of trends across studies. Evol. Appl. 2:260–275. , and .
- 1992. The evolution of life histories. Oxford Univ. Press, Oxford, U.K.
- 1986. The evolution of phenotypic plasticity in life-history traits: predictions of reaction norms for age and size at maturity. Evolution 40:893–913. , and .
- 2007. Maturation responses of salmonids to changing developmental opportunities. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 335:285–288.
- 1998. Modelling the proximate basis of salmonid life-history variation, with application to Atlantic salmon, Salmo salar L. Evol. Ecol. 12:581–599. , , , and .
- 1995. Age at maturity as a stress indicator in fisheries. Bioscience 45:759–771.
- 1998. Egg size and viability and seasonal offspring production of young Atlantic cod. Trans. Am. Fish. Soc. 127:339–359.
- 1996. Oocyte growth and development in teleosts. Rev. Fish Biol. Fisheries 6:287–318. , and .
- 2011. Experimental assessment of the probabilistic maturation reaction norm: condition matters. Proc. R. Soc. B 278:709–717. , , , , , and .
- 2005. The analysis of reaction norms for age and size at maturity using maturation rate models. Evolution 59:500–506. , , and .
- 2012. Small-scale dispersal and population structure in stream-living brown trout (Salmo trutta) inferred by mark-recapture, pedigree reconstruction, and population genetics. Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 69:1513–1524. , , , , , and .
- 1984. Deferred reproduction as a response to sexual selection in a coral reef fish: a test of the life historical consequences. Evolution 38:148–162.