Pollinators visit related plant species across 29 plant–pollinator networks
Article first published online: 10 MAY 2014
© 2014 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 4, Issue 12, pages 2303–2315, June 2014
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2014; 4(12):2303–2315
- Issue published online: 17 JUN 2014
- Article first published online: 10 MAY 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 9 MAR 2014
- Manuscript Revised: 19 DEC 2013
- Manuscript Received: 2 AUG 2013
- 1982. Community studies in pollination ecology in the high temperate Andes of Central Chile: pollination mechanisms and altitudinal variation. Am. J. Bot. 69:82–97. , , and .
- 1987. The reproductive-biology of boreal forest herbs: breeding systems and pollination. Can. J. Bot. 65:2036–2046. , and .
- 2009. The architecture of mutualistic networks minimizes competition and increases biodiversity. Nature 458:1018–1021. , , , , , and .
- 2003. Testing for phylogenetic signal in comparative data: behavioural traits are more labile. Evolution 57:717–745. , , and .
- 2007. Specialization, constraints, and conflicting interests in mutualistic networks. Curr. Biol. 17:341–346. , , , , and .
- 2004. Multiple trait associations in relation to habitat differentiation among 17 oak species in North Central Florida. Ecol. Monogr. 74:635–662. , , and .
- 1992. The colour hexagon: a chromaticity diagram based on photoreceptor excitations as a generalized representation of colour opponency. J. Comp. Phys. A 170:533–543.
- 1923. Experimental pollination. An outline of the ecology of flowers and insects. Carnegie Institute of Washington, Washington, DC. , and .
- 1984. A null model for null models in biogeography. Pp. 344–359 in D. R. Strong, D. Simberloff, L. G. Abele and A. B. Thistle, eds. Ecological communities: conceptual issues and the evidence. Princeton Univ. Press, Princeton. , and .
- 2007. The R Book. Wiley, West Sussex.
- 2011. Specialization in plant-hummingbird networks is associated with species richness, contemporary precipitation and quaternary climate-change velocity. PLoS ONE 6:e25891. , , , , , et al.
- R Development Core Team, ed. 2010. R: a language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna.
- 2003. Structure of a plant-flower visitor network in the high-altitude sub-alpine desert of Tenerife, Canary Islands. Ecography 26:301–310. , , and .
- 2007. Host specificity of Lepidoptera in tropical and temperate forests. Nature 448:696–700. , , , , , , et al.
- 1999. The structure of a high latitude plant-flower visitor system: the dominance of flies. Ecography 22:314–323. , and .
- 1979. The principles of pollination ecology. Pergamon Press, Oxford. , and .
- 2004. Pollination syndromes and floral specialization. Ann. Rev. Ecol. Evol. Syst. 35:375–403. , , , , and .
- 2006. Functional diversity of plant-pollinator interaction webs enhance the persistence of plant communities. PLoS Biol. 4:e1. , , , and .
- 2010. Selectivity in mammalian extinction risk and threat types: a new measure of phylogenetic signal strength in binary traits. Conserv. Biol. 24:1042–1051. , and .
- 1999. Floral isolation between Aquilegia formosa and Aquilegia pubescens. Proc. Biol. Sci. 266:2247–2252. , and .
- 2010. Ecological interactions are evolutionarily conserved across the entire tree of life. Nature 465:918–921. , , and .
- 2003. Swap algorithms in null model analysis. Ecology 84:532–535. , and .
- 2013. Filtering across spatial scales: phylogeny, biogeography and community structure in bumble bees. PLoS ONE 8:e60446. , and .
- 2010. Ecological separation in foraging schedule and food type between pollinators of the California wildflower, Clarkia xantiana ssp. xantiana. J. Poll. Ecol. 2:13–20. , and .
- 2006. TimeTree: a public knowledge-base of divergence times among organisms. Bioinformatics 22:2971–2972. , , and .
- 1988. Pollination relationships in southern Spanish Mediterranean shrublands. J. Ecol Conserv. Biol. 76:274–287.
- 2006. Geographical context of floral evolution: towards an improved research programme in floral diversification. Pp. 278–294 in L. D. Harder and S. C. H. Barrett, eds. Ecology and evolution of flowers. Oxford Univ. Press, Oxford. , , and .
- 2012. Altitude acts as an environmental filter on phylogenetic composition, traits and diversity in bee communities. Proc. Biol. Sci. 279:4447–4456. , , , , and .
- 1990. Insect-flower relationship in the temperate deciduous forest of Kibune, Kyoto: an overview of the flowering phenology and the seasonal pattern of insect visits. Contr. Biol. Lab. Kyoto Univ. 27:377–463. , , , , and .
- 1988. Pollination biology in the Snowy Mountains of Australia: comparisons with montane Colorado, USA. Aust. J. Ecol. 13:191–210. , and .
- 1990. Insect-flower relationship in the campus of Kyoto University, Kyoto: an overview of the flowering phenology and the seasonal pattern of insect visits. Contr. Biol. Lab. Kyoto Univ. 27:465–521. , , , and .
- 1990. Insect-flower relationship in the primary beech forest of Ashu, Kyoto: an overview of the flowering phenology and seasonal pattern of insect visits. Contr. Biol. Lab. Kyoto Univ. 27:309–375. , , , and .
- 1993. Flowering phenology and anthophilous insect community in the cool-temperate subalpine forests and meadows at Mt. Kushigata in the central part of Japan. Contr. Biol. Lab. Kyoto Univ. 28:119–172. , , and .
- 2001. North American dipteran pollinators: assessing their value and conservation status. Cons. Ecol. 5:5.
- 1970. High arctic insect-flower visitor relations: the inter-relationships of arthropods and flowers at Lake Hazen, Ellesmere Island, Northwest Territories, Canada. Ph.D. thesis, Univ. of Alberta, Canada.
- 2007. Trait evolution, community assembly, and the phylogenetic structure of ecological communities. Am. Nat. 170:271–283. , , , and .
- 2009. Co-flowering neighbors influence the diversity and identity of pollinator groups visiting plant species. Oikos 118:691–702. , , and .
- 2010. Factors related to the inter-annual variation in plants ‘pollination generalization levels within a community. Oikos 119:825–834. , , and .
- 2010. Centrality measures and the importance of generalist species in pollination networks. Ecol. Complex 7:36–43. , , and .
- 2010. Floral colour versus phylogeny in structuring subalpine flowering communities. Proc. Roy. Soc. B 277:2957–2965. , and .
- 2002. Plant-pollinator relationships at two altitudes in the Andes of Mendoza, Argentina. Arc. Antarc. Alp. Res. 34:233–241. , , , , , and .
- 1967. Observations on the pollination biology of plants on Melville Island, N.W.T. Canada. Can. Field-Nat. 81:201–205. , and .
- 1982. Pollination ecology of the spring wildflower community in the deciduous forests of Piedmont North Carolina. Doctoral Dissertation thesis, Duke Univ., Duhram, North Carolina, USA.
- 2010. Competition drives specialization in pollination systems through costs to male fitness. Am. Nat. 176:732–743. , , , and .
- 2002. Geographic patterns in plant-pollinator mutualistic networks. Ecology 83:2416–2424. , and .
- 2002. Invasion of pollination networks on oceanic islands: importance of invader complexes and endemic super generalists. Divers. Distrib. 8:181–192. , , and .
- 2006. Geographical variation in diversity and specificity of pollination systems. Pp. 411–435 in N. M. Waser and J. Ollerton, eds. Plant-pollinator interactions: from specialization to generalization. Univ. of Chicago Press, Chicago. , , and .
- 2009. Impact of alien plant invaders on pollination networks in two archipelagos. PLoS ONE 4:e6275. , , , , , and .
- 1997. Inferring evolutionary process from phylogenies. Zoolog. Scr. 26:331–348.
- 1974. Floral ecology of coastal scrub in southeast Jamaica. Biotropica 6:104–129.
- 2003. Linking bees and flowers: how do floral communities structure pollinator communities? Ecology 84:2628–2642. , , , , and .
- 1983. Insect pollination in the New Zealand mountain flora. N. Zeal. J. Bot. 21:317–333.
- 1992. Pollination biology in a palm swamp community in the Venezuelan Central Plains. Bot. J. Linn. Soc. 110:277–302. , and .
- 2007. Non-random coextinctions in phylogenetically structured mutualistic networks. Nature 448:925–928. , , , , and .
- 2007. Linkage rules for plant-pollinator networks: trait complementarity or exploitation barriers? PLoS Biol. 5:e31. , and .
- 2004. Floral symmetry affects speciation rates in angiosperms. Proc. Biol. Sci. 271:603–608.
- 2008. Plant-pollinator interactions and the assembly of plant communities. Trends Ecol. Evol. 23:123–130. , and .
- 2006. The role of local species abundance in the evolution of pollinator attraction in flowering plants. Am. Nat. 167:67–80. , and .
- 1978. Flowering ecology of some spring woodland herbs. Ecology 59:351–366. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Floral isolation, specialized pollination, and pollinator behavior in orchids. Annu. Rev. Entomol. 54:425–446. , and .
- 2012. Specialization of mutualistic interaction networks decreases toward tropical latitudes. Curr. Biol. 22:1–7. , , , , , , et al.
- 1976. Insect pollinators of the Mer Bleue peat bog of Ottawa. Can. Field Nat. 90:22–28.
- 2005. Diversity, flower visitation frequency and generalism of pollinators in temperate rain forests of Chiloe Island. Chile. Bot. J. Linn. Soc. 147:399–416. , , , , and .
- 2001 onwards. Angiosperm Phylogeny Website. Version 8, June 2007.
- 2002. Ecological specialization and susceptibility to disturbance: conjectures and refutations. Am. Nat. 159:606–623. , and .
- 2004. Asymmetric specialization: a pervasive feature of plant-pollinator interactions. Ecology 85:1251–1257. , and .
- 2009. Uniting pattern and process in plant-animal mutualistic networks: a review. Ann. Bot. 103:1445–1457. , , , and .
- 1996. Generalization in pollination systems, and why it matters. Ecology 77:1043–1060. , , , , and .
- 2000. Exploring the phylogenetic structure of ecological communities: an example for rain forest trees. Am. Nat. 156:145–155.
- 2005. Phylomatic: tree assembly for applied phylogenetics. Mol. Ecol. Notes 5:181. Available at http://www.phylodiversity.net/phylomatic/. , and .
- 2008. Software for the analysis of community phylogenetic structure and character evolution. Version 4.0.1. Available at http://www.phylodiversity.net/phylocom (accessed 1 August 2011). , , and .
- 2000. Phylogenetic analysis of dioecy in monocotyledons. Am. Nat. 155:46–58. , , and .
- 2006. Phylogenetic dispersion of host use in a tropical insect herbivore community. Ecology 87:S62–S75. , , , , and .
- 2001. Evolution of the angiosperms: calibrating the family tree. Proc. Biol. Sci. 268:2211–2220. , , and .
- 2003. Flowering phenology and anthophilous insect community in a grassland ecosystem at Mt. Yufu, western Japan. Contr. Biol. Lab. Kyoto Univ. 29:255–318. , and .