Needle morphological evidence of the homoploid hybrid origin of Pinus densata based on analysis of artificial hybrids and the putative parents, Pinus tabuliformis and Pinus yunnanensis
Version of Record online: 19 APR 2014
© 2014 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 4, Issue 10, pages 1890–1902, May 2014
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2014; 4(10):1890–1902
- Issue online: 20 MAY 2014
- Version of Record online: 19 APR 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 17 MAR 2014
- Manuscript Revised: 11 MAR 2014
- Manuscript Received: 23 SEP 2013
- Natural Science Foundation of China. Grant Number: 31070591
- Special National Forestry Public Welfare Industry Research. Grant Number: 201104022
- Agriculture and Animal Husbandry College of Tibet University
- 1992. Manual of quantitative genetics. 5th ed. Academic Enterprises, Washington.
- 2001. Pinus uncinata Ramond taxonomy based on needle characters. Plant Syst. Evol. 227:183–194. , and .
- 2000. The likelihood of homoploid hybrid speciation. Heredity 84:441–451. , , , and .
- 1998. Genetic interactions and natural selection in Louisiana iris hybrids. Evolution 52:1304–1310. , , and .
- 2010. Are hybrid species more fit than ancestral parent species in the current hybrid species habitats? J. Evol. Biol. 23:805–816. , , , , and .
- 2005. Changes in leaf morphology and anatomy with tree age and height in the broadleaved evergreen species, Eucalyptus regnans F. Muell. Trees 20:1–12. , and .
- 1996. Introduction to quantitative genetics. 4th ed. P. 196. Longman Group Limited, Harlow. , and .
- 2012. Demography and speciation history of the homoploid hybrid pine Pinus densata on the Tibetan Plateau. Mol. Ecol. 21:4811–4827. , , , , , and .
- 1973. A new ecophysiological approach to forest-water relationships in arid climates. Pp. 9–22 in I. Gindel, ed. The correlation between the morphology, anatomy and physiological properties of the forest plant and its environment. 1st ed. Pitman Press, The Hague.
- 2005. The ecological genetics of homoploid hybrid speciation. J. Hered. 96:241–252. , and .
- 2004. Reconstructing the origin of Helianthus deserticola: survival and selection on the desert floor. Am. Nat. 164:145–156. , , , , , , et al.
- 1981. Fundamental features of the distribution of Coniferae in Sichuan. J. Syst. Evol. 19:393–407.
- 1989. Functional morphology of mountain plants. Flora 182:353–383. , , , and .
- 2003. The origin of ecological divergence in Helianthus paradoxus (Asteraceae): selection on transgressive characters in a novel hybrid habitat. Evolution 57:1989–2000. , , , and .
- 2004. Selection on leaf ecophysiological tratits in a desert hybrid Helianthus species and early-generation hybrids. Evolution 58:2682–2692. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Enhanced drought-tolerance in the homoploid hybrid species Pinus densata: implication for its habitat divergence from two progenitors. New Phytol. 185:204–216. , , , , , and .
- 2003. Morphometric, allometric, and developmentally adaptive traits in red spruce and black spruce. II. Seedling and mature tree assessment of controlled intra- and inter-specific hybrids. Can. J. For. Res. 33:897–909. , , , , and .
- 2011. Distinct niche divergence characterizes the homoploid hybrid speciation of Pinus densata on the Tibetan Plateau. Am. Nat. 177:424–439. , and .
- 1998. Plant hybridization. New Phytol. 140:599–624. , and .
- 1993. What can molecular and morphological markers tell us about plant hybridization? Crit. Rev. Plant Sci. 12:213–241. , , and .
- 1999. Transgressive segregation, adaptation and speciation. Heredity 83:363–372. , , and
- 2003. Major ecological transitions in wild sunflowers facilitated by hybridization. Science 301:1211–1216. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Hybridization and the colonization of novel habitats by annual sunflowers. Genetica 129:149–165. , , , , , , et al.
- 2002. Maternal lineages of Pinus densata, a diploid hybrid. Mol. Ecol. 11:1057–1063. , , , , , and .
- 2003. Cytoplasmic composition in Pinus densata and population establishment of the diploid hybrid pine. Mol. Ecol. 12:2995–3001. , , , , and .
- 1990. Evolutionary analysis of Pinus densata (Masters), a putative Tertiary hybrid. Theor. Appl. Genet. 80:641–647. , and .
- 1994. Hybridization and chloroplast DNA variation in a Pinus species complex from Asia. Evolution 48:1020–1031. , and .
- 2001. Genetic composition and diploid hybrid speciation of a high mountain pine, Pinus densata, native to the Tibetan Plateau. Genetics 159:337–346. , , and .
- 2011. Colonization of the Tibetan Plateau by the homoploid hybrid pine Pinus densata. Mol. Ecol. 20:3796–3811. , , , , and .
- 2002. Habitat divergence between a homoploid hybrid sunflower species, Helianthus paradoxus (Asteraceae), and its progenitors. Am. J. Bot. 89:472–478. , and .
- 2007. Forest genetics. Pp. 149–186 in T. L. White, W. T. Adams and D. B. Neale, eds. Within-population variation–genetic diversity, mating systems and stand structure. CABI, London. , , and .
- 1956. The taxonomic revision and phytogeographical study of Chinese pines. Acta Phytotaxon. Sin. 5:131–164.
- 2006. Application of a hand-held slicing method for wood species identification. China Wood Ind. 20:41–43. , and .
- 2000. Allozyme diversity and population genetic structure of Pinus densata master in north western Yunnan, China. Biochem. Genet. 38:139–147. , , and .
- 2012. Factors controlling plasticity of leaf morphology in Robinia pseudoacacia L. II: the impact of water stress on leaf morphology of seedlings grown in a controlled environment chamber. Ann. For. Sci. 69:39–47. , , , and .
- 2008. Altitudinal differences in the leaf fitness of juvenile and mature alpinespruce trees (Picea crassifolia). Tree Physiol. 28:133–141. , , , , and .
- 1983. Woody Flora of China Volume I. (In Chinese.) China Forestry Publishing House, Beijing.