Relating annual increments of the endangered Blanding's turtle plastron growth to climate
Article first published online: 22 APR 2014
© 2014 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 4, Issue 10, pages 1972–1980, May 2014
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2014; 4(10):1972–1980
- Issue published online: 20 MAY 2014
- Article first published online: 22 APR 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 20 MAR 2014
- Manuscript Revised: 24 FEB 2014
- Manuscript Received: 23 AUG 2013
- Parks Canada Species
- Risk Recovery Action and Education Fund
- Endangered Species Recovery Fund
- Acadia University Graduate Student
- 2011. Headstarting Blanding's turtles (Emydoidea blandingii) in Nova Scotia: an investigation of artificial incubation, captive-rearing, and release to natural habitats. M.Sc. thesis. Acadia University, Wolfville, NS, Canada. .
- 1997. Evolutionary and moving response functions in dendroclimatology. Dendrochronologica 15:139–150.
- 2004. DENDROCLIM2002: a C++ program for statistical calibration of climate signals in tree-ring chronologies. Comput. Geosci. 30:303–311. , and .
- 2005. Using tree-ring crossdating techniques to validate annual growth increments in long-lived fishes. Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 62:2277–2284. , , and .
- 2008. Establishing highly accurate production-age data using the tree-ring technique of crossdating: a case study for Pacific geoduck (Panopea abrupta). Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 65:2572–2578. , , , and .
- 2003.. Structure and dynamics of an isolated sub-population of Blanding's turtle (Emydoidea blandingii) in Pleasant River, Nova Scotia. B.Sc. thesis. Acadia University, Wolfville, NS, Canada. .
- 2006. Blanding's turtle conservation in Nova Scotia: linking science and stewardship through public education. M.Sc. thesis. Acadia University, Wolfville, NS, Canada. .
- 1993. Delayed sexual maturity and demographics of Blanding's turtles (Emydoidea blandingii): implications for conservation and management of long-lived organisms. Conserv. Biol. 7:826–833. , , and .
- 1986. ARSTAN: Guide for Computer Program ARSTAN. Adapted from Users Manual for Program ARSTAN. Pp. 50–56 in Tree-Ring Chronologies of Western North America: California, eastern Oregon and northern Great Basin. Chronology Series Vol.6. Laboratory of Tree-Ring Research. University of Arizona, Tuscon. , and .
- 1981. The smoothing spline: a new approach to standardizing forest interior tree-ring width series for dendroclimatic studies. Tree-Ring Bull. 41:45–53. , and .
- 2011. Emydoidea blandingii. in IUCN 2012. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2012.2. www.iucnredlist.org. (accessed 9 April 2013). , and .
- 1983. Environmental correlates of hermatypic coral (Montastrea annularis) growth on the East Flower Gardens Bank, northwest Gulf of Mexico. Limnol. Oceanogr. 28:228–240. , and .
- 2002. Image Tool Version 3.0. UTHSCSA. Available at http://compdent.uthscsa.edu/dig/itdesc.html (accessed April 17, 2005). .
- 2008. Using long-term data and a stage-classified matrix to assess conservation strategies for an endangered turtle (Clemmys guttata). Biol. Conserv. 141:1560–1568. , and .
- 1976. Tree rings and climate. The Blackburn Press, New Jersey.
- 2001. Evaluating crossdating accuracy: a manual and tutorial for the computer program COFECHA. Tree-Ring Res. 57:205–221.
- 2008. Historical decline in coral reef growth after the Panama Canal. Ambio 37:342–346. , , and .
- 1999. The growth pattern of the African tortoise Geochelone pardalis and other chelonians. Can. J. Zool. 77:181–193. , and .
- 1996. Models to evaluate headstarting as a management tool for long-lived turtles. Ecol. Appl. 6:556–565. , , and .
- 1995. Status of Blanding's turtles, Emydoidea blandingii, in Nova Scotia, Canada. Can. Field-Nat. 109:182–191. , , and .
- 1986. Tree-ring Chronologies of Western North America: California, Eastern Oregon and Northern Great Basin, with Procedures Used in the Chronology Development Work, Including Users Manuals for Computer Programs COFECHA and ARSTAN. Chronology Series VI. Laboratory of Tree-Ring Research, University of Arizona, Tucson. , , and .
- 2008. Analysis of the growth of the Nova Scotia Blanding's turtle. Atlant. Elect. J. Mathemat. 3:18–29. , , , , and .
- 1997. Retrospective analysis of growth and reproduction in Cassiope tetragona and relations to climate in the Canadian High Arctic. Arct. Alp. Res. 29:459–469. , and .
- 2010. Movement rates, movement patterns, and home ranges of endangered Blanding's turtles (Emydoidea blandingii) in Nova Scotia. M.Sc. thesis. Acadia University, Wolfville, NS, Canada. .
- 2005. Predicted short-term radial-growth changes of trees based on past climate on Vancouver Island, British Columbia. Dendrochronologia 22:163–168. , and .
- 2011. Size dimorphism and growth rates in distinct populations of Blanding's turtles (Emydoidea blandingii) in Nova Scotia in relation to environment. Herpetol. Conserv. Biol. 6:465–472. , , and .
- 2000. Occurrence, habitat selection and movement patterns in juvenile Blanding's turtles (Emydoidea blandingii) in Kejimkujik National Park, Nova Scotia. Chelon. Cons. Biol. 3:602–610. , and .
- 2002. Distribution, movements, morphology and reproduction in a population of Blanding's turtle (Emydoidea blandingii) in an unprotected landscape in southwestern Nova Scotia. M.Sc. thesis. Acadia University, Wolfville, Nova Scotia, Canada. .
- 1999. A preliminary examination of genetic variation in a peripheral population of Blanding's turtle, Emydoidea blandingii. Mol. Ecol. 8:323–327. , , and .
- 2005. Population genetic structure of a disjunct population of Blanding's turtle (Emydoidea blandingii) in Nova Scotia, Canada. Biol. Conserv. 123:373–380. , , , , and .
- 2009. Habitat, movement and behaviour of the overwintering Blanding's turtle (Emydoidea blandingii) in Nova Scotia. Can. J. Zool. 87:299–309. , and .
- 2006. Reconstruction of summer temperature for a Canadian High Arctic site from retrospective analysis of the dwarf shrub, Cassiope tetragona. Arct. Antarct. Alp. Res. 38:228–238. , and .
- 2012. Cheloniochronology of the Nova Scotia Blanding's turtle: plastral growth ring analysis with relation to climate. M. Sc. thesis. Acadia University, Wolfville, Nova Scotia, Canada. .
- 2006. An analysis of wood turtle (Glyptemys insculpta) growth-rings. B.Sc. thesis. Mount Allison University, Sackville, NB, Canada. .
- 2008. Dendroarchaeology in southwestern Nova Scotia and the construction of a regional red spruce chronology. Tree-Ring Res. 64:17–25. , and .
- 2008. Validation of annual growth-rings in freshwater mussel shells using cross dating. Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 65:2224–2232. , , and .
- 2010. Fundamentals of tree ring research. Univ. of Arizona Press, Tucson.
- 2004. North Pacific climate recorded in growth-rings of geoduck clams: a new tool for paleoenvironmental reconstruction. Geophys. Res. Lett. 3:1–4. , , , and .
- 2011. Changing climatic sensitivities of two spruce species across a moisture gradient in Northeastern Canada. Dendrochronologia 29:25–30. , , and .
- 2003. Estimating age of turtles from growth-rings: a critical evaluation of the technique. Herpetologica 59:178–194. , and .