Consistent size-independent harvest selection on fish body shape in two recreationally exploited marine species
Article first published online: 1 MAY 2014
© 2014 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 4, Issue 11, pages 2154–2164, June 2014
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2014; 4(11):2154–2164
- Issue published online: 3 JUN 2014
- Article first published online: 1 MAY 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 26 MAR 2014
- Manuscript Revised: 25 MAR 2014
- Manuscript Received: 22 NOV 2013
- REC2. Grant Number: #CTM2011-23835
- Spanish Ministry of Economy and Competiveness (MINECO)
- Marie Curie Post-Doc. Grant Number: 327160
- German Federal Ministry for Education and Research (BMBF). Grant Number: 01UU0907
- Leibniz Competition. Grant Number: SAW-2013-IGB-2
- 2009. Human-induced evolution caused by unnatural selection through harvest of wild animals. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 106:9987–9994. , and .
- 2013. Impacts of partial marine protected areas on coastal fish communities exploited by recreational angling. Fish. Res. 137:88–96. , and .
- 2008. Influence of hook size and type on short-term mortality, hooking location and size selectivity in a Spanish recreational fishery. J. Appl. Ichthyol. 24:658–663. , , , and .
- 2009. The influence of type of natural bait on fish catches and hooking location in a mixed-species marine recreational fishery, with implications for management. Fish. Res. 97:270–277. , , , , and .
- 2012. Consistent selection towards low activity phenotypes when catchability depends on encounters among human predators and fish. PLoS ONE 7:e48030. , , and .
- Selective exploitation of spatially structured coastal fish populations by recreational anglers may lead to evolutionary downsizing of adults. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. , , , , , , et al. (in press).
- 2006. Interactions between predator- and diet-induced phenotypic changes in body shape of crucian carp. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 273:431–437. , , and .
- 2014. Localised intraspecific variation in the swimming phenotype of a coral reef fish across different wave exposures. Oecologia 174:623–630. , , and .
- 2008. Rapid depletion of genotypes with fast growth and bold personality traits from harvested fish populations. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 105:2919–2922. , and .
- 1997. Individual variations in habitat use and morphology in brook charr. J. Fish Biol. 51:783–794. , , and .
- 1992. Predator-induced phenotypical change in body morphology in crucian carp. Science 258:1348–1350. , and .
- 2010. Managing recreational fisheries through gear restrictions: the case of limiting hook size in the recreational fishery from the Balearic Islands (NW Mediterranean). Fish. Res. 101:146–155. , , , , and .
- 2007. Linking morphological and behavioural defences: prey fish detect the morphology of conspecifics in the odour signature of their predators. Ethology 113:733–739. , , and .
- 2008. Temporal trends of littoral fishes at deep Posidonia oceanica seagrass meadows in a temperate coastal zone. J. Mar. Syst. 70:182–195. , , , , and .
- 1997. The kinematics and performance of fish fast-start swimming. J. Exp. Biol. 200:1165–1178. , and .
- 2008. Predator-induced morphology enhances escape locomotion in crucian carp. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 275:195–201. , , , and .
- 2012. Shapes package. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria. Contributed package. Available at http://www.R-project.org.
- 1990. Habitat choice and phenotype-limited feeding efficiency in bluegill: individual differences and trophic polymorphism. Ecology 71:886–896.
- 1998. Starvation prior to slaughter in atlantic salmon (Salmo salar): I. Effects on weight loss, body shape, slaughter- and fillet-yield, proximate and fatty acid composition. Aquaculture 166:85–104. , , and .
- 1997. Fish mouth dimensions and size selectivity in a Portuguese longline fishery. J. Appl. Ichthyol. 13:41–44. , , , and .
- 2011. Anthropogenic habitat alteration induces rapid morphological divergence in a native stream fish. Evol. Appl. 4:791–804.
- 2013. Shared and unique morphological responses of stream fishes to anthropogenic habitat alteration. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 280:20122715. , , , , and .
- 2011. Costly plastic morphological responses to predator specific odour cues in three-spined sticklebacks (Gasterosteus aculeatus). Evol. Ecol. 25:641–656. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Wave energy and swimming performance shape coral reef fish assemblages. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 272:827–832. , , and .
- 2000. Selection on morphology of spawning wild sockeye salmon by a gill-net fishery. Trans. Am. Fish. Soc. 129:1300–1315. , , , and .
- 2007. Morphological correlates of swimming activity in wild largemouth bass (Micropterus salmoides) in their natural environment. Comp. Biochem. Physiol. Part A: Mol. Integr. Physiol. 148:913–920. , , , and .
- 2008. Evolutionary consequences of fishing and their implications for salmon. Evol. Appl. 1:388–408. , , , , , , et al.
- 2002. Fisheries-induced selection pressures in the context of sustainable fisheries. Bull. Mar. Sci. 70:639–656. , and .
- 2014. Express yourself: bold individuals induce enhanced morphological defences. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 281:1471–2954. , , , , and .
- 2000. Relative selectivity in trawl, longline and gillnet fisheries for cod and haddock. ICES J. Mar. Sci. 57:1271–1282. , , and .
- 2013. Recent parallel divergence in body shape and diet source of alewife life history forms. Evol. Ecol. 27:1175–1187. , , and .
- 2007. Managing evolving fish stocks. Science 318:1247–1248. , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Baiting gill nets: how is fish behaviour affected? Fish. Res. 61:125–133. , , , and .
- 2003. The relationships between mouth size and shape and body length for 18 species of marine fishes and their trophic implications. J. Fish Biol. 62:1353–1365. , and .
- 2013. Size-selective fishing affects sex ratios and the opportunity for sexual selection in Alaskan sockeye salmon Oncorhynchus nerka. Oikos 122:411–420. , and .
- 2012. The role of ecological context and predation risk-stimuli in revealing the true picture about the genetic basis of boldness evolution in fish. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 66:547–559. , , , and .
- 2013. Impacts of domestication on angling vulnerability of common carp (Cyprinus carpio L.): the role of learning, foraging behaviour and food preferences. Fish. Manag. Ecol. 20:174–186. , , and .
- 2009. Morphometric integration and modularity in configurations of landmarks: tools for evaluating a priori hypotheses. Evol. Develop. 11:405–421.
- 2011. MorphoJ: an integrated software package for geometric morphometrics. Mol. Ecol. Resour. 11:353–357.
- 2013. Reality mining of animal social systems. Trends Ecol. Evol. 28:541–551. , , , , , and .
- 2007. Detecting and managing fisheries-induced evolution. Trends Ecol. Evol. 22:652–659. , and .
- 2008. Predictability of phenotypic differentiation across flow regimes in fishes. Integr. Comp. Biol. 48:750–768.
- 2010. Ecology and evolution of swimming performance in fishes. Pp. 200–248 in P. Domenici, B. G. Kapoor, eds. Fish locomotion: an eco-ethological perspective. Science Publishers, Einfield. , and .
- 2004. Shared and unique features of evolutionary diversification. Am. Nat. 164:15. , and .
- 2014. Evolutionary impact assessment: accounting for evolutionary consequences of fishing in an ecosystem approach to fisheries management. Fish Fish. 15:65–96. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Documented and potential biological impacts of recreational fishing: insights for management and conservation. Rev. Fish. Sci. 14:305–367. , , and .
- 2004. Differential correlates of diet and phylogeny on the shape of the premaxilla and anterior tooth in sparid fishes (Perciformes: Sparidae). J. Evol. Biol. 17:941–952. , , and .
- 2010. Fish behavior in relation to longlines. Pp. 105–114 in P. He, ed. Behavior of marine fishes: capture processes and conservation. Wiley-Blackwell, Oxford, UK. , , and .
- 2010. Short-term residence, home range size and diel patterns of the painted comber Serranus scriba in a temperate marine reserve. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 400:195–206. , , , , and .
- 2011. Short-term residence and movement patterns of the annular seabream Diplodus annularis in a temperate marine reserve. Est. Coast. Shelf Sci. 92:581–587. , , , and .
- 2012. Pervasive genetic integration directs the evolution of human skull shape. Evolution 66:1010–1023. , , , , , , et al.
- 2001. Elliptic Fourier analysis of the form of genitalia in two Spodoptera species and their hybrids (Lepidoptera: Noctuidae). Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 72:391–400. , , and .
- 2006. Multi-scale spatial variability in fish assemblages associated with Posidonia oceanica meadows in the Western Mediterranean Sea. Estuar. Coast. Shelf Sci. 68:579–592. , , , , and .
- 2003. Weight-length relationships of littoral to lower slope fishes from the western Mediterranean. Fish. Res. 62:89–96. , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. The relationship between fish condition and the probability of being mature in American plaice (Hippoglossoides platessoides). ICES J. Mar. Sci. 61:64–70.
- 1987. Natural selection and the heritability of fitness components. Heredity 59:181–197. , and .
- 2011. The influence of selection for vulnerability to angling on foraging ecology in largemouth bass Micropterus salmoides. J. Fish Biol. 79:1017–1028. , , , and .
- 2013. Fish foraging patterns, vulnerability to fishing, and implications for the management of ecosystem function across scales. Ecol. Appl. 23:1632–1644. , , and .
- 1995. Benefits of a predator-induced morphology in Crucian Carp. Oecologia 104:291–296. , , and .
- 2005. Vegan: R functions for vegetation ecologists. Available at: http://cc.oulu.fi/~jarioksa/softhelp/vegan.html. .
- 2012. Harvest selection on Atlantic cod behavioral traits: implications for spatial management. Ecol. Evol. 2:1549–1562. , , , and .
- 2007. Foraging performance of diet-induced morphotypes in pumpkinseed sunfish (Lepomis gibbosus) favours resource polymorphism. J. Evol. Biol. 20:673–684. , and .
- 2011. A fisheries perspective of behavioural variability: differences in movement behaviour and extraction rate of an exploited sparid, snapper (Pagrus auratus). Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 68:632–642. , , , , , and .
- 2007. Morphology as a key to behavioural flexibility: body shape and swimming variability in the dimorphic crucian carp. Web Ecol. 7:113–119.
- R Development Core Team 2011. R: a language and environment for statistical computing. Vienna, Austria: R Foundation for Statistical Computing (http://www.R-project.org).
- 1999. Fish morphology and estimating selectivity by gillnets. Fish. Res. 39:263–273. , and .
- 1969. Effects of size-selective mortality and sampling bias on estimates of growth, mortality, production, and yield. J. Fish. Res. Board Can. 26:479–541.
- 1992. The evolution of life histories: theory and analysis. Chapman & Hall, New York.
- 1997. Evolutionary quantitative genetics. Chapman & Hall, New York.
- 2004. tpsDig. version 2.16 (software). Department of Ecology and Evolution, State University of New York, Stony Brook, USA (http://life.bio.sunysb.edu/morph/). .
- 1993. A revolution morphometrics. Trends Ecol. Evol. 8:129–132. , and .
- 1984. Size selectivity of passive fishing gear: a correction for encounter probability applied to gill nets. Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 41:1252–1255. , , and .
- 2003. Length-girth relationships for several marine fishes. Fish. Res. 60:161–168. , and .
- 2012. Recreational fishing selectively captures individuals with the highest fitness potential. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 109:20960–20966. , , , , , , et al.
- 1997. Evidence of a heritable component to body shape in the northern redbelly dace (Phoxinus eos). Can. J. Zool. 75:1247–1253. , and .
- 2008. A behavioral perspective on fishing-induced evolution. Trends Ecol. Evol. 23:419–421. , , , and .
- 2008. Arching effect on fish body shape in geometric morphometric studies. J. Fish Biol. 73:623–638. , , , , and .
- 2010. Heritability of morphology in brook trout with variable life Histories. PLoS ONE 5:e12950. , and .
- 1988. Morphology and ecology: functional basis of feeding constraints in Caribbean labrid fishes. Ecology 69:635–645.
- 1997. Ecological morphology of lacustrine threespine stickleback Gasterosteus aculeatus L. (Gasterosteidae) body shape. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 61:3–50.
- 2011. Capture technique and fish personality: angling targets timid bluegill sunfish, Lepomis macrochirus. Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 68:749–757. , , , , and .