Physiological and ecological effects of increasing temperature on fish production in lakes of Arctic Alaska
Article first published online: 22 APR 2014
Published 2014. This article is a U.S. Government work and is in the public domain in the USA. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 4, Issue 10, pages 1981–1993, May 2014
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2014; 4(10):1981–1993
- Issue published online: 20 MAY 2014
- Article first published online: 22 APR 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 25 MAR 2014
- Manuscript Revised: 11 MAR 2014
- Manuscript Received: 10 FEB 2014
- Changing Arctic Ecosystems Initiative of the U.S. Geological Survey Ecosystem Mission Area
- 2007. Alterations in the biomass-specific productivity of periphyton assemblages mediated by fish grazing. Freshw. Biol. 52:1486–1493. , , , and .
- 2010. Lake temperature and ice cover regimes in the Alaskan Subarctic and Arctic: integrated monitoring, remote sensing, and modeling. J. Am. Water Resour. Assoc. 46:777–791. , , , , and .
- 2011. Hydrogeomorphic processes of thermokarst lakes with grounded-ice and floating-ice regimes on the Arctic coastal plain. Alaska. Hydrol. Process. 25:2422–2438. , , , and .
- 2013. Recent lake ice-out phenology within and among lake districts of Alaska, USA. Limnol. Oceanogr. 58:2013–2028. , , and .
- 2009. Bioenergetic Ontogeny: linking climate and mass-specific feeding to life-cycle growth and survival of salmon. Pp. 53–72 in C. C. Krueger and C. E. Zimmerman, eds. Pacific Salmon: ecology and management of western Alaska's populations. American Fisheries Society Symposium 70, Bethesda, MD.
- 1994. Maximum daily ration of Great-Lakes Bloater. Trans. Am. Fish. Soc. 123:335–343. , and .
- 2002. Climate change: implications for fish growth performance in the Great Lakes. Am. Fish. Soc. Symp. 32:61–76. , , , , and .
- 2001. Winter movements and habitat use of riverine brown trout, white sucker and common carp in relation to flooding and ice break-up. J. Fish Biol. 59:1126–1141. , , and .
- 1973. An analysis of factors governing productivity in lakes and reservoirs. Limnol. Oceanogr. 18:1–14. , and .
- 2008. Herbivore species richness and feeding complementarity affect community structure and function on a coral reef. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 105:16201–16206. , and .
- 2012. Plasticity in habitat use determines metabolic response of fish to global warming in stratified lakes. Oecologia 170:275–287. , , and .
- 2008. Tracking change in a human-dominated landscape: developing conservation guidelines using freshwater fish. Aquat. Conserv. 18:877–890. , and .
- 2011a. Determining the mechanism by which fish diversity influences production. Oecologia 167:189–198. , and .
- 2011b. Fish diversity as a determinant of ecosystem properties across multiple trophic levels. Oikos 120:84–94. , and .
- 1969. Handbook of freshwater fishery biology. Vol. 1. The Iowa State Univ. Press, Ames, IA.
- 2012. Responses of zooplankton populations to four decades of climate warming in lakes of southwestern Alaska. Ecosystems 15:1010–1026. , and .
- 2002. Effects of temperature, global extremes, and climate change on year-class production of warmwater, coolwater, and coldwater fishes in the Great Lakes basin. Am. Fish. Soc. Symp. 32:39–60.
- 2009. Elevated methylmercury in high Arctic daphnia and the role of productivity in controlling their distribution. Glob. Change Biol. 15:706–718. , and .
- 2008. Bioenergetics modeling in the 21st century: reviewing new insights and revisiting old constraints. Trans. Am. Fish. Soc. 137:298–313. , and .
- 1988. Measures of optimal thermal habitat and their relationship to yields for four commercial fish species. Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 45:301–314. , and .
- 2009. Chemical and physical controls on the oxygen regime of ice-covered Arctic lakes and reservoirs. J. Am. Water Resour. Assoc. 45:500–511. , , and .
- 2004. The role of biodiversity in the functioning of freshwater and marine benthic ecosystems. Bioscience 54:767–775. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Effects of stocking-up freshwater food webs. Trends Ecol. Evol. 21:576–584. , , , and .
- 2001. Linking growth of juvenile sockeye salmon to habitat temperature in Alaskan lakes. Trans. Am. Fish. Soc. 130:644–662. , and .
- 2011. Predicting the potential long-term influence of climate change on vendance (Coregonus albula) habitat in Bassenthwaite Lake, U.K. Freshw. Biol. 56:395–405. , and .
- 2001. The von Bertalanffy growth function, bioenergetics, and the consumption rates of fish. Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 58:2129–2138. , , and .
- 2012. Consequences of changing climate and geomorphology for bioenergetics of juvenile sockeye salmon in a shallow Alaskan lake. Ecol. Freshw. Fish. 21:349–362. , and .
- 2011. Effects of simultaneous climate change and geomorphic evolution on thermal characteristics of a shallow Alaskan lake. Limnol. Oceanogr. 56:193–205. , , , and .
- 2013. Thermokarst lakes, drainage, and drained basins. Pp. 325–353 in J. Shroder, R. Giardino and J. Harbor, eds. Treatise on geomorphology, vol. 8, glacial and periglacial geomorphology. Academic Press, San Diego, CA. , , and .
- 1997. Fish bioenergetics 3.0. Technical Report WISCU-T-97-001. University of Wisconsin Sea Grant Institute, Madison, WI. , , , and .
- 2006. A test of three alternative pathways for consumer regulation of primary productivity. Oecologia 149:123–132.
- 2009. Effects of fish species richness and assemblage composition on stream ecosystem function. Ecol. Freshw. Fish 18:24–32.
- 2013. Method- and species-specific detection probabilities of fish occupancy in Arctic lakes: implications for design and management. Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 70:1055–1062. , , , , and .
- 1999. A geomorphic-trophic model for landscape control of Arctic lake food webs. Bioscience 11:887–897. , , , et al.
- 2006. Effect of landscape factors on fish distribution in Arctic Alaskan lakes. Freshw. Biol. 51:39–55. , , , et al.
- 1998. Estimation of invertebrate production from patterns of fish predation in western Lake Superior. Trans. Am. Fish. Soc. 127:496–506. , , , and .
- 2012. Physics of seasonally ice-covered lakes: a review. Aquat. Sci. 74:659–682. , , , , , , et al.
- 1977. Applications of a bioenergetics model to yellow perch (Perca flavescens) and walleye (Stizostedion vilreum vtreum). J. Fish. Res. Board Can. 34:1922–1935. , , and .
- 2011. Climate vulnerability of ecosystems and landscapes on Alaska's North Slope. Reg. Environ. Change 11:S249–S264. , , , and .
- 2013. Temperature-driven decline of a Cisco population in Mille Lacs Lake, Minnesota. N. Am. J. Fish. Manage. 33:669–681. , , , and .
- 2012. Estimation of forest harvesting-induced stream temperature changes and bioenergetic consequences for cutthroat trout in a coastal stream in British Columbia, Canada. Aquat. Sci. 74:427–441. , , , and .
- 2002. Mixing patterns and plankton biomass of the St. Lawrence Great Lakes under the climate change scenarios. J. Great Lakes Res. 28:583–596.
- 2003. Impact of the timing and duration of seasonal snow cover on the active layer and permafrost in the Alaskan Arctic. Permafrost Periglac. Process. 14:141–150. , and .
- 2001. Eighty years of spatially coherent Austrian lake surface temperatures and their relationship to regional air temperature and the North Atlantic Oscillation. Limnol. Oceanogr. 46:1220–1227. , and .
- 1998. The relationship between air and water temperatures in lakes of the Swiss Plateau: a case study with paleolimnological implications. J. Paleolimnol. 19:181–198. , and .
- 2006. Evaluation of a lake whitefish bioenergetics model. Trans. Am. Fish. Soc. 135:61–75. , , , et al.
- 1990. Potential changes in the thermal habitat of Great Lakes fish after global climate warming. Trans. Am. Fish. Soc. 119:254–264. , , and .
- 1997. Potential effects of climate changes on aquatic systems: Laurentian Great Lakes and Precambrian Shield Region. Hydrol. Process. 11:825–871. , , , et al.
- 1981. Comparison of sympatric dwarf and normal populations of Least Cisco (Coregonus sardinella) inhabiting Trout Lake, Yukon Territory. Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 38:240–244. , and .
- 1996. Global warming impacts on lake trout in Arctic lakes. Limnol. Oceanogr. 41:1102–1108. , , and .
- 1988. Larval size and recruitment mechanisms – toward a conceptual framework. Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 45:1657–1670. , , , and .
- 1997. Some reproductive characteristics of least ciscoes and humpback whitefish in Dease Inlet, Alaska. Am. Fish. Soc. Symp. 19:119–126. , , and .
- 1993a. The occurrence and description of anadromous fish in the Dease Inlet/Admiralty Bay, Alaska Area 1988–1990. North Slope Borough Dept. of Wildlife Management internal report, P. 150. , , and .
- 1993b. The occurrence and description of anadromous and freshwater fish in Teshekpuk Lake, Alaska 1990–1992. North Slope Borough Dept. of Wildlife Management internal report, P. 96. , , and .
- 2011. Shallow freshwater ecosystems of the circumpolar Arctic. Ecoscience 18:204–222. , , , , , and .
- 2006a. General effects of climate change on Arctic fishes and fish populations. Ambio 35:370–380. , , , et al.
- 2006b. An overview of effects of climate change on selected Arctic freshwater and anadromous fishes. Ambio 35:381–387. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Changes in fish condition and mercury vary by region, not Bythotrephes invasion: a result of climate change? Ecography 33:471–482. , , and .
- 2009. Climate and intraspecific competition control the growth and life history of juvenile sockeye salmon (Oncorhynchus nerka) in Iliamna Lake, Alaska. Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 66:238–246. , , , and .
- 1997. Effects of climate change on the freshwaters of Arctic and Subarctic North America. Hydrol. Process. 11:873–902. , , , et al.
- 1994. A bioenergetics model for analysis of food consumption of bloater in Lake Michigan. Trans. Am. Fish. Soc. 123:344–357. , , and .
- Scenarios Network for Alaska and Arctic Planning (SNAP), University of Alaska. 2013. Available at www.snap.uaf.edu. (accessed 13 May 2013).
- 2009. Lakes as sentinels and integrators for the effects of climate change on watersheds, airsheds, and landscapes. Limnol. Oceanogr. 54:2349–2358.
- 1997. Stoichiometry of fishes and their prey: implications for nutrient recycling. Ecology 78:1816–1831. , and .
- 2005. Effects of changing climate on zooplankton and juvenile sockeye salmon growth in southwestern Alaska. Ecology 86:198–209. , , , and .
- 1987. The ecology of indeterminate growth in animals. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 18:371–407.
- 2003. Determination of marine migratory behavior and its relationship to selected physical traits for Least Cisco (Coregonus sardinella) of the western Arctic coastal plain, Alaska. [M.S. thesis], Oregon State University.
- 2007. Will northern fish populations be in hot water because of climate change? Glob. Change Biol. 13:2052–2064. , , , and .
- 1990. Climate, population viability, and the zoogeography of temperate fishes. Trans. Am. Fish. Soc. 119:314–336. , and .
- 1980. Stochastic simulation of temperature effects on first-year survival of smallmouth bass. Trans. Am. Fish. Soc. 109:1–34. , , , and .
- 2012. The role of winter phenology in shaping the ecology of freshwater fish and their sensitivities to climate change. Aquat. Sci. 74:637–657. , , , , and .
- 2013. Winter disturbances and riverine fish in temperate and cold regions. Bioscience 63:199–210. , , , , and .
- 2011. Developing a long-term aquatic monitoring network in a complex watershed of the Alaskan Arctic Coastal Plain. Pp. 15–20 in C. N. Medley, G. Patterson and M. J. Parker, eds. Proceedings of the fourth interagency conference on research in watersheds: observing, studying, and managing for change. USGS, Reston, VA. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Lakes and reservoirs as sentinels, integrators, and regulators of climate change. Limnol. Oceanogr. 54:2273–2282. , , , and .
- 1957. Differences in metabolic rates of migratory and resident freshwater forms of an Arctic Whitefish. Ecology 38:502–510.
- 2006. Impacts of biodiversity loss on ocean ecosystem services. Science 314:787–790. , , , et al.
- 2006. Climate impacts on Arctic freshwater ecosystems and fisheries: background, rationale and approach of the Arctic Climate Impact Assessment (ACIA). Ambio 35:326–329. , , , , , and .