Distribution models for koalas in South Australia using citizen science-collected data
Article first published online: 28 APR 2014
© 2014 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 4, Issue 11, pages 2103–2114, June 2014
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2014; 4(11):2103–2114
- Issue published online: 3 JUN 2014
- Article first published online: 28 APR 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 5 APR 2014
- Manuscript Revised: 3 APR 2014
- Manuscript Received: 4 DEC 2013
- 2012. Selecting pseudo-absences for species distribution models: how, where and how many? Methods Ecol. Evol. 3:327–338. , , , and .
- 2010. Use of coarse-resolution models of species' distributions to guide local conservation inferences. Conserv. Biol. 24:1378–1387. , , and .
- 2013. lme4: linear mixed-effects models using Eigen and S4. R package version 1.0-4. http://CRAN.R-project.org/package=lme4 (accessed 1 April 2014). , , , and .
- 2013. spdep: spatial dependence: weighting schemes, statistics and models. R package version 0.5-65. http://CRAN.R-project.org/package=spdep (accessed 1 April 2014).
- 2009. Citizen science: a developing tool for expanding science knowledge and scientific literacy. BioScience 59:977–984. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Novel coupling of individual-based epidemiological and demographic models predicts realistic dynamics of tuberculosis in alien buffalo. J. Appl. Ecol. 49:268–277. , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Multimodel inference: understanding AIC and BIC in model selection. Soc. Methods Res. 33:261–304. , and .
- 2001. Cost considerations for long-term ecological monitoring. Ecol. Ind. 1:123–134. , and .
- 1960. A coefficient of agreement for nominal scales. Educ. Psychol. Meas. 20:37–46.
- 2008. Citizen science: can volunteers do real research? BioScience 58:192–197.
- 2012. The opportuninties and challenges of citizen science as a toll for ecological research. Pp. 99–113 in J. L. Dickinson, R. Bonney, eds. Citizen science: public participation in environmental research. Comstock Publishing Associates, Ithaca, New York. , , and .
- 2013. Weekend bias in citizen science data reporting: implications for phenology studies. Int. J. Biometeorol. 57:715–720. , , , , and .
- 2008. Enhancing citizen contributions to biodiversity science and public policy. Interdisc. Sci. Rev. 33:95–103. , , , , and .
- 2009. Inbreeding and testicular abnormalities in a bottlenecked population of koalas (Phascolarctos cinereus). Wildl. Res. 36:299–308. , , , , , , et al.
- 2013. Climate-mediated habitat selection in an arboreal folivore. Ecography 36:001–008. , , , , , , et al.
- 1997. Bootstrap methods and their application. Cambridge Univ. Press, New York, NY, USA. , and .
- 2010. Citizen science as an ecological research tool: challenges and benefits. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Evol. Syst. 41:149–172. , , and .
- 2012. The current state of citizen science as a tool for ecological research and public engagement. Front. Ecol. Environ. 10:291–297. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Model-based geostatistics. Springer, New York. , and .
- 2003. Koala mortality on roads in south-east Queensland: the koala speed-zone trial. Wildl. Res. 30:419–426. , , , , , and .
- 2005. Confronting a tough issue: fertility control and translocation for over-abundant koalas on Kangaroo Island, South Australia. Ecol. Manag. Restor. 6:172–181. , and .
- 2009. Species distribution models: ecological explanation and prediction across space and time. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Evol. Syst. 40:677–697. , and .
- 2012 Using data mining to discover biological patterns in citizen science observations. Pp. 125–138 in J. L. Dickinson, R. Bonney, eds. Citizen science: public participation in environmental research. Comstock Publishing Associates, Ithaca, New York. , and .
- 2011. Habitat loss, the dynamics of biodiversity, and a perspective on conservation. Ambio 40:248–255.
- 2006. Evaluating the ability of habitat suitability models to predict species presences. Ecol. Model. 199:142–152. , , , , and .
- 1977. Late Pleistocene faunal remains from Seton Rock shelter, Shelter, Kangaroo Island, South Australia. J. Biogeogr. 4:363–385. , , , , and .
- 2003. The effect of energy and seasonality on avian species richness and community composition. Am. Nat. 161:83–97. , and .
- 2012. Spatio temporal variation in avian migration phenology: citizen science reveals effects of climate change. PLoS ONE 7:e31662. , and .
- 2009. Fuelling the conservation engine: where will the money come from to drive fish and wildlife management and conservation? Pp. 184–197 in M. J. Manfredo, J. J. Vaske, P. J. Brown, D. D. Decker, E. A. Duke, eds. Wildlife and society: the science of human dimensions. Island Press, Washington, DC. , , and .
- 2013. Using citizen scientists to measure an ecosystem service nationwide. Ecology 94:2645–2652. , , and .
- 2012. The 112th Christmas Bird Count: December 14, 2011 to January 5, 2012. Am. Birds 66:2–7.
- 1998. Numerical ecology, 2nd, English edn. Elsevier, Amsterdam. , and .
- 2006. A hierarchical model for regional analysis of population change using Christmas Bird Count data, with application to the American black duck. Condor 108:13–24. , , and .
- 2007. Who needs environmental monitoring? Front. Ecol. Environ. 5:253–260. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Combining a map-based public survey with an estimation of site occupancy to determine the recent and changing distribution of the koala in New South Wales. Wildl. Res. 36:262–273. , , , and .
- 2004. Koalas on Kangaroo Island: from introduction to pest status in less than a century. Wildl. Res. 31:267–272. , , , and .
- 2010. Phenology and citizen science. Bioscience 60:172–175.
- 2008. Can multiscale models of species' distribution be generalized from region to region? A case study of the koala. J. Appl. Ecol. 45:558–567. , , , , , , et al.
- 2013. Late Quaternary faunal responses to environmental change and isolation on a large Australian land-bridge island. Ph. D. thesis, Flinders University, Adelaide, South Australia, Australia.
- 2000. Overview, critical assessment, and conservation implications of koala distribution and abundance. Conserv. Biol. 14:619–628. , , , , and .
- 2000. A review of feeding and diet selection in koalas (Phascolarctos cinereus). Aust. J. Zool. 48:317–333. , and .
- 2005. Eucalyptus foliar chemistry explains selective feeding by koalas. Biol. Lett. 1:64–67. , , , , and .
- 2006. Distribution of abundance across the range in eastern North American trees. Glob. Ecol. Biogeogr. 15:63–71. , , and .
- 2013. A general and simplemethod for obtaining R2 from generalized linearmixed-effects models. Methods Ecol. Evol. 4:133–142. , and .
- 2004. Christmas Bird Count provides insights into population change in land birds that breed in the boreal forest. American Birds; The 104th Christmas Bird Count, 10–20. , , , and .
- NSW Department of Environment and Conservation. 2006. Far South Coast Koala Management Framework (Project No. 114-001). Ecological Assessment, GIS, Environmental Management and Planning. Eco Logical Australia Pty Ltd; available at www.environment.nsw.gov.au/resources/threatenedspecies/sth_coast_koala.pdf (accessed 1 April 2014).
- 2013. Recent advances in understanding the biology, epidemiology and control of chlamydial infections in koalas. Vet. Microbiol. 165:214–223. , , and .
- 2002. Large scale wildlife monitoring studies: statistical methods for design and analysis. Environmetrics 13:105–119. , , , , , and .
- Queensland Government. 2009. Decline of the Koala Coast Koala population: population status in 2008. Department of Environment and Resource Management. Available from http://goo.gl/rqJytE (accessed 20 April 2014).
- R Core Team. 2013. R: A language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing. ISBN 3-900051-07-0, URL http://www.R-project.org/. Vienna, Austria (accessed 1 April 2014).
- 2013. psych: procedures for psychological, psychometric, and personality research. R package version 1.3.10. Northwestern University, Evanston, IL. http://CRAN.R-project.org/package=psych (accessed 1 April 2014).
- 2006. Modeling species' distributions to improve conservation in semiurban landscapes: koala case study. Conserv. Biol. 20:449–459. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. GLMM applied on the spatial distribution of koalas in a fragmented landscape (chapter 21). Pp. 469–492 in A. F. Zuur, E. N. Ieno, N. J. Walker, A. A. Saveliev, G. M. Smith, eds. Mixed effects models and extensions in ecology with R. Springer, New York, USA. , , , , and .
- 2011. Using integrated population modelling to quantify the implications of multiple threatening processes for a rapidly declining population. Biol. Conserv. 144:1081–1088. , , , , , and .
- 1988. Environmental factors associated with avian distributional boundaries. J. Biogeogr. 15:489–505.
- 2012. Understanding citizen science and environmental monitoring. Final report on behalf of UK Environmental Observation Framework. NERC Centre for Ecology and Hydrology and National History Museum. , , , , and .
- 2006. Moving beyond assumptions to understand abundance distributions across the ranges of species. Trends Ecol. Evol. 21:524–530. , , and .
- 2003. Landscape legacies: koala habitat change in Noosa Shire, South-east Queensland. Aust. Zool. 32:446–461. , , , , and .
- 2013. Spatial and temporal predictions of decadal trends in Indian Ocean whale sharks. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 478:185–195. , , , , and .
- 2001. High effective inbreeding coefficients correlate with morphological abnormalities in populations of South Australian koalas (Phascolarctos cinereus). Anim. Conserv. 4:211–219. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. A new dawn for citizen science. Trends Ecol. Evol. 24:467–471.
- 2011. Evaluating citizen-based presence data for bird monitoring. Biol. Conserv. 144:804–810. , , , and .
- 2003. An overview of spatial sampling procedures and experimental design of spatial studies for ecosystem comparisons. Agric. Ecosyst. Environ. 94:31–47. , and .
- 2000. Thinking scientifically during participation in a citizen-science project. Sci. Educ. 84:265–275. , , , and .
- 2009. Abundance and the environmental niche: environmental suitability estimated from niche models predicts the upper limit of local abundance. Am. Nat. 174:282–291. , , , and .
- 2010. Temporal variation in reproductive characteristics of an introduced and abundant island population of koalas. J. Mammal. 91:1160–1167. , and .