Mating system variation drives rapid evolution of the female transcriptome in Drosophila pseudoobscura
Article first published online: 5 MAY 2014
© 2014 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 4, Issue 11, pages 2186–2201, June 2014
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2014; 4(11):2186–2201
- Issue published online: 3 JUN 2014
- Article first published online: 5 MAY 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 8 APR 2014
- Manuscript Received: 1 APR 2014
- Marie Curie Initial Training Network. Grant Number: ITN-2008- 213780
- Natural Environment Research Council. Grant Number: NE/I014632/1
- National Science Foundation
- 1974. Frequent multiple insemination in a natural population of Drosophila pseudoobscura. Am. Nat. 108:709–711.
- 2006. Sexual selection and mate choice. Trends Ecol. Evol. 21:296–302. , and .
- 2000. The evolution of polyandry: multiple mating and female fitness in insects. Anim. Behav. 60:145–164. , and .
- 2011. Insect seminal fluid proteins: identification and function. Ann. Rev. Entom. 56:21–40. , , , , and .
- 2008. Sexual selection and interacting phenotypes in experimental evolution: a study of Drosophila pseudoobscura mating behavior. Evolution 62:1804–1812. , , , , and .
- 1995. Controlling the false discovery rate: a practical and powerful approach to multiple testing. J. Roy. Stat. Soc. B 57:289–300. , and .
- 2002. Postcopulatory sexual selection. Nature Rev. Genet. 3:262–273. , and .
- 2004. No evidence that polyandry benefits females in Drosophila melanogaster. Evolution 58:1242–1250. , , , and .
- 1995. Cost of mating in Drosophila melanogaster females is mediated by male accessory gland products. Nature 373:241–244. , , , , and .
- 2003. Sexual conflict. Trends Ecol. Evol. 18:41–47. , , , and .
- 2007. Using FlyAtlas to identify better Drosophila melanogaster models of human disease. Nat. Genet. 39:715–720. , , and .
- 2000. Genital damage, kicking and early death - The battle of the sexes takes a sinister turn in the bean weevil. Nature 407:855–856. , and .
- 2005. Experimental removal and elevation of sexual selection: does sexual selection generate manipulative males and resistant females? Am. Nat. 165:S72–S87. , , , , and .
- 2009. Experimental manipulation of sexual selection promotes greater male mating capacity but does not alter sperm investment. Evolution 63:926–938. , , , and .
- 2010. Increased opportunity for sexual conflict promotes harmful males with elevated courtship frequencies. J. Evol. Biol. 23:440–446. , , and .
- 2008. Sexual and social stimuli elicit rapid and contrasting genomic responses. Proc. Roy. Soc. B 275:393–402. , , , , , and .
- 2010. Dynamic, mating-induced gene expression changes in female head and brain tissues of Drosophila melanogaster. Bmc Genomics 11:541. , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. DAVID: database for Annotation, Visualization, and Integrated Discovery. Gen. Biol. 4:P3. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. The evolution of sex-biased genes and sex-biased gene expression. Nature Rev. Genet. 8:689–698. , and .
- 2012. The energetic cost of mating in a promiscuous cephalopod. Biol. Lett. 8:754–756. , , and .
- 2004. Bioconductor: open software development for computational biology and bioinformatics. Gen. Biol. 5:R80. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Genefilter: methods for filtering genes from microarray experiments, v 1.34.0. , , , and .
- 2006. Sebida: a database for the functional and evolutionary analysis of genes with sex-biased expression. Bioinformatics 22:2577–2579. , and .
- 2010. Polyandry increases offspring viability and mother productivity but does not decrease mother survival in Drosophila pseudoobscura. PNAS 107:13771–13776. , , , and .
- 1998. Chase-away sexual selection: antagonistic seduction versus resistance. Evolution 52:1–7. , and .
- 1999. Experimental removal of sexual selection reverses intersexual antagonistic coevolution and removes a reproductive load. PNAS 96:5083–5088. , and .
- 2014. Evolution under monogamy feminizes gene expression in Drosophila melanogaster. Nature Comm. 5:3482. , , , , and .
- 2009. Systematic and integrative analysis of large gene lists using DAVID Bioinformatics Resources. Nat. Protoc. 4:44–57. , , and .
- 2008. Ancestral monogamy shows kin selection is key to the evolution of eusociality. Science 320:1213–1216. , , , and .
- 2012. The genomic response to courtship song stimulation in female Drosophila melanogaster. Proc. Roy. Soc. B 279:1359–1365. , and .
- 2009. Immunogenic males: a genome-wide analysis of reproduction and the cost of mating in Drosophila melanogaster females. J. Evol. Biol. 22:964–973. , and .
- 2011. Experimental evidence supports a sex-specific selective sieve in mitochondrial genome evolution. Science 332:845–848. , , and .
- 2000. Why do females mate multiply? A review of the genetic benefits. Biol. Rev. Camb. Phil. Soc 75:21–64. , and .
- 2009. Evolution of sex-dependent gene expression in three recently diverged species of Drosophila. Genetics 183:1175–1185. , and .
- 2006. Unifying and testing models of sexual selection. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Evol. Syst. 37:43–66. , , and .
- 2013. Polyandry as a mediator of sexual selection before and after mating. Phil. Trans. Roy. Soc. Lond. B 368:20120042. , and .
- 2012. The many costs of sex. Trends Ecol. Evol. 27:172–178. , , and .
- 2006. Mating-responsive genes in reproductive tissues of female Drosophila melanogaster. PNAS 103:10358–10363. , , , and .
- 2007. Rapid evolution of female-biased, but not male-biased, genes expressed in the avian brain. Mol. Biol. Evol. 24:2698–2706. , , , and .
- 2013. Polyandry and sex-specific gene expression. Phil. Trans. Roy. Soc. Lond. B 368:20120047. , , and .
- 2003. The evolution of reproductive isolation through sexual conflict. Nature 423:979–982. , and .
- 2004. Genes regulated by mating, sperm, or seminal proteins in mated female Drosophila melanogaster. Curr. Biol. 14:1509–1514. , , , and .
- 2008. Post-mating gene expression profiles of female Drosophila melanogaster in response to time and to four male accessory gland proteins. Genetics 179:1395–1408. , , and .
- 2012. Disentangling the relationship between sex-biased gene expression and X-linkage. Gen. Res. 22:1255–1265. , , and .
- 1979. Sexual selection and sexual conflict. Pp. 123–166 in M. S. Blum, N. A. Blum, eds. Sexual selection and reproductive competition in insects. Academic Press, London.
- 2006. Sexual conflict over mating and fertilization: an overview. Phil. Trans. Roy. Soc. Lond. B 361:235–259.
- 2013. Masculinization of gene expression is associated with exaggeration of male sexual dimorphism. PLoS Genet. 9:e1003697. , , , and .
- 2012. Identification of maternally-loaded RNA transcripts in unfertilized eggs of Tribolium castaneum. Bmc Genomics 13:671. , , , and .
- R Development Core Team. 2011. R: a language and environment for statistical computing. R Development Core Team, Vienna, Austria.
- 1984. Sex chromosomes and the evolution of sexual dimorphism. Evolution 38:735–742.
- 2007. Sexual selection and speciation. Ann. Rev. Ecol. Evol. Syst. 38:79–102.
- 2013. Reuse of public genome-wide gene expression data. Nat. Rev. Genet. 14:89–99. , and .
- 2011. Estimating genetic benefits of polyandry from experimental studies: a meta-analysis. Biol. Rev. Camb. Phil. Soc. 87:1–33. , , , and .
- 2004. Linear models and empirical bayes methods for assessing differential expression in microarray experiments. Stat. Appl. Genet. Mol. Biol. 3:Article3.
- 2005. Limma: linear models for microarray data. Pp. 397–420 in R. Gentleman, V. Carey, S. Dudoit, R. Irizarry and W. Huber, eds. Bioinformatics and computational biology solutions using R and Bioconductor. Springer, New York.
- 2003. Normalization of cDNA microarray data. Methods 31:265–273. , and .
- 2005. Experimental manipulation of sexual selection and the evolution of courtship song in Drosophila pseudoobscura. Behav. Genet. 35:245–255. , , , and .
- 2009. A test and review of the role of effective population size on experimental sexual selection patterns. Evolution 63:1923–1933. , , and .
- 2010. The quantitative genetics and coevolution of male and female reproductive traits. Evolution 64:1926–1934. , , and .
- 2005. Sex peptide causes mating costs in female Drosophila melanogaster. Curr. Biol. 15:316–321. , and .
- 2009. Seminal fluid protein allocation and male reproductive success. Curr. Biol. 19:751–757. , , , , , , et al.
- 1998. Evolutionary consequences of indirect genetic effects. Trends Ecol. Evol. 13:64–69. , , , , and .
- 2007. Constraint and turnover in sex-biased gene expression in the genus Drosophila. Nature 450:233–237. , , , , and .