Observer aging and long-term avian survey data quality
Article first published online: 26 MAY 2014
© 2014 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 4, Issue 12, pages 2563–2576, June 2014
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2014; 4(12):2563–2576
- Issue published online: 17 JUN 2014
- Article first published online: 26 MAY 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 5 APR 2014
- Manuscript Revised: 4 APR 2014
- Manuscript Received: 18 DEC 2013
- Dalhousie University
- Simon Fraser University
- 2008. Prevalence of hearing loss and differences by demographic characteristics among US adults – Data from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 1999–2004. Arch. Intern. Med. 168:1522–1530. , , and .
- 2006. Estimating detection probabilities from multiple-observer point counts. Auk 123:1172–1182. , , and .
- 2007. Factors affecting aural detections of songbirds. Ecol. Appl. 17:948–955. , , and .
- 2007. Uneven rates of landscape change as a source of bias in roadside wildlife surveys. J. Wildl. Manage. 71:2266–2273. , , , and .
- Bird Studies Canada, Environment Canada's Canadian Wildlife Service, Ontario Nature, Ontario Field Ornithologists, and Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources. 2008. Atlas of the Breeding Birds of Ontario Database [online]. Available at: http://www.naturecounts.ca/.
- 1994. Amphibian declines – Judging stability, persistence, and susceptibility of populations to local and global extinctions. Conserv. Biol. 8:60–71. , , and .
- 1938. Vibration frequencies of passerine bird song. Auk 55:263–268. .
- 2011. Using stereo microphones to evaluate observer variation in North American Breeding Bird Survey (BBS) point counts. Auk 128:303–312. , and .
- 2009. Birding in the United States: A demographic and economic analysis. Addendum to the 2006 Survey of Fishing, Hunting, and Wildlife-Associated Recreation. Technical Report 2006-4, Arlington, VA.
- 2003. Validating the use of generalized additive models and at-sea surveys to estimate size and temporal trends of seabird populations. J. Appl. Ecol. 40:278–292. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Contrasting natural experiments confirm competition between house finches and house sparrows. Ecology 88:864–870. , , and .
- 1981. Limitation and variability in hearing ability in censusing birds. Stud. Avi. Biol. 6:327–333.
- 2010. Citizen science as an Ecological Research Tool: challenges and benefits. Ann. Rev. Ecol. Evol. Syst. 41:149–172. , , and .
- 2004. Results of the 2004 questionnaire for Canadian participants in the Breeding Bird Survey. Available at: http://ec.gc.ca/reom-mbs/default.asp?lang=En&n=929AA800-1. .
- 2002. Using decline in bird populations to identify needs for conservation action. Conserv. Biol. 16:1632–1637. .
- 1992. Counting birds – the problem of variable hearing abilities. J. Field Ornithol. 63:26–31. , and .
- 2010 Conserving migratory land birds in the New World: do we know enough? Ecology 20:398–418. , , , , , , et al.
- 1981. The role of observer bias in the North American Breeding Bird Survey. Stud. Avi. Biol. 6:353–359. , and .
- 2000. Analysis of population trends for farmland birds using generalized additive models. Ecology 81:1970–1984. , , , , and .
- 2009. Observer bias and the detection of low-density populations. Ecol. Appl. 19:1673–1679. , , , and .
- 2010. Extracting long-term patterns of population changes from sporadic counts of migrant birds. Environmetrics 21:482–492. , , , and .
- 2007. Modelling population changes using data from different surveys: the common birds census and the breeding bird survey. Bird Study 54:61–72. , , , and .
- 2005. Presbycusis. Lancet 366:1111–1120. , and .
- 2010. A arm: Data analysis using regression and multilevel/hierarchical models. Available at: http://CRAN.R-project.org/package=arm. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Unite research with what citizens do for fun: “Recreational monitoring” of marine biodiversity. Ecol. Appl. 20:2170–2187. , , , , , et al.
- 1999. On the decline of the rusty blackbird and the use of ornithological literature to document long-term population trends. Conserv. Biol. 13:553–559. , and .
- 2010. Traffic effects on bird counts on North American Breeding Bird Survey routes. Auk 127:387–393. , , and .
- International Organization for Standardization. 2000. Acoustics-Statistical distribution of hearing thresholds as a function of age (ISO 7029:2000). International Organization for Standardization, Geneva, Switzerland.
- 1996. First-time observer effects in the North American Breeding Bird Survey. Auk 113:823–829. , , and .
- 2010. Site-occupancy distribution modeling to correct population-trend estimates derived from opportunistic observations. Conserv. Biol. 24:1388–1397. , , , , , , et al.
- 1978. Standard abbreviations for common names of birds. N. Am. Bird Bander 3:16–25. , and .
- 2011. Evaluating the quality of citizen-scientist data on pollinator communities. Conserv. Biol. 25:607–617. , , and .
- 2001. Birding in the United States: A demographic and economic analysis. Addendum to the 2001 Survey of Fishing, Hunting, and Wildlife-Associated Recreation. Technical Report 2001-1, Washington, DC.
- 2007. West Nile virus emergence and large-scale declines of North American bird populations. Nature 447:710–713. , , and .
- 1997. New approaches to the analysis of population trends in land birds: Comment. Ecology 78:2632–2634. , and .
- 1998. Estimating population change from count data: Application to the North American Breeding Bird Survey. Ecol. Appl. 8:258–268. , and .
- 2002. A hierarchical analysis of population change with application to Cerulean Warblers. Ecology. 83:2832–2840. , and .
- 2007. Seasonal components of avian population change: joint analysis of two large-scale monitoring programs. Ecology. 88:49–55. , and .
- 2008. Combining breeding bird survey and Christmas Bird Count data to evaluate seasonal components of population change in northern bobwhite. J. Wildl. Manag. 72:44–51. , , and .
- 2007. Observer bias in anuran call surveys. J. Wildl. Manag. 71:675–679. , and .
- 2009. The BUGS project: Evolution, critique and future directions. Stat. Med. 28:3049–3067. , , , and .
- 1966. Hearing loss and bird song. Living Bird 5:167–175.
- 2010a. Experimental investigation of observation error in anuran call surveys. J. Wildl. Manag. 74:1882–1893. , , , and .
- 2010b. Unmodeled observation error induces bias when inferring patterns and dynamics of species occurrence via aural detections. Ecology. 91:2446–2454. , , , and .
- 2011. Improving occupancy estimation when two types of observational error occur: Non-detection and species misidentification. Ecology. 92:1422–1428. , , , , , and .
- 1991. The neurology of aging – Normal versus pathological change. Geriatrics 46:47–54. , and .
- 2000. A double-observer approach for estimating detection probability and abundance from point counts. Auk 117:393–408. , , , , , and .
- 2009. Inferences about landbird abundance from count data: Recent advances and future directions. Pp. 201–235 in D. L. Thomson, E. G. Cooch, and M. J. Conroy, eds, Environmental and Ecological Statistics, volume 3, Springer, New York, NY. doi: 10.1007/978-0-387-78151-89. , , and .
- 2009. Notched audiograms and noise exposure history in older adults. Ear Hear. 30:696–703. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. High frequency audiometric notch: an outpatient clinic survey. Int. J. Audiol. 49:95–98. , and .
- 1994. The North American Breeding Bird Survey. Birding 26:386–398.
- R Development Core Team. 2011. R: a language and environment for statistical computing. R Development Core Team, Vienna, Austria, Available at: http://www.R-project.org.
- 1981. Tests of hearing ability. Stud. Avi. Biol. 6:341–345. , and .
- 2009. Hierarchical modeling and inference in ecology: The analysis of data from populations, metapopulations and communities. Academic Press, Elsevier. , and .
- 2007. A Bayesian state-space formulation of dynamic occupancy models. Ecology. 88:1813–1823. , and .
- 2006. Generalized site occupancy models allowing for false positive and false negative errors. Ecology. 87:835–841. , and .
- 2011. Analysis of the North American Breeding Bird Survey using hierarchical models. Auk 128:87–98. , and .
- 1994. Observer differences in the North American Breeding Bird Survey. Auk 111:50–62. , , and .
- 2003. Use of North American Breeding Bird Survey data to estimate population change for bird conservation regions. J. Wildl. Manag. 67:372–389. , , and .
- 2007. Experimental analysis of the auditory detection process on avian point counts. Auk 124:986–999. , , , and .
- 1954. The value of Christmas Bird Counts. Wilson Bull. 66:184–195.
- 1996. The importance of analysis method for breeding bird survey population trend estimates. Conserv. Biol. 10:479–490. , and .
- 1990. Economics of birding: a national survey of active birders. Am. Birds 44:209–213. , and .
- 2011. Range-wide effects of breeding and non-breeding season climate on the abundance of a Neotropical migrant songbird. Ecology. 92:1789–1798. , , , and .
- 2006. Generalized additive models: an introduction with R. Chapman and Hall, New York. .
- 2011. gamm4: Generalized additive mixed models using mgcv and lme4. Available at: http://CRAN.R-project.org/package=gamm4.