Evaluating range-expansion models for calculating nonnative species' expansion rate
Article first published online: 30 JUN 2014
© 2014 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 4, Issue 14, pages 2812–2822, July 2014
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2014; 4(14):2812–2822
- Issue published online: 21 JUL 2014
- Article first published online: 30 JUN 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 23 APR 2014
- Manuscript Revised: 26 MAR 2014
- Manuscript Received: 5 NOV 2013
- Swedish Research Council. Grant Number: 215-2006-1869 & VR 2013-3634
- Oscar and Lili Lamm's Foundation
- 1990. Spread of invading organisms. Landscape Ecol. 4:177–188. , , , and .
- 1954. The distribution and abundance of animals. University of Chicago Press, Chicago. , and .
- 2010. Avian use of introduced plants: ornithologist records illuminate interspecific associations and research needs. Ecol. Appl. 20:1005–1020. , and .
- 2006. Der Kosmos Heuschreckenführer - Die Arten Mitteleuropas sicher bestimmen. Franckh-Kosmos Verlags-Gmbh & Co.KG, Stuttgart.
- 2004. Impact of grazing on individual male movement in Roesel's bush-cricket Metrioptera roeseli: one possible clue to species range expansion. J. Insect Behav. 17:419–429.
- 2005. The effect of conspecifics on individual male movement in Roesel's bush cricket, Metrioptera roeseli. Ecol. Entomol. 30:480–483.
- 2009. Effect of landscape and population variables on immune response in experimentally introduced bush-cricket populations. Landscape Ecol. 24:749–757.
- 2001. The effect of landscape composition on colonization success, growth rate and dispersal in introduced bush-crickets Metrioptera roeseli. J. Anim. Ecol. 70:663–670. , , and .
- 2002. Effect of corridors and habitat edges on dispersal behavior, movement rates, and movement angles in Roesel's bush-cricket (Metrioptera roeseli). Conserv. Biol. 16:1562–1569. , , and .
- 2007. Modelling species' range shifts in a changing climate: the impacts of biotic interactions, dispersal distance and the rate of climate change. J. Theor. Biol. 245:59–65. , , , and .
- 1996. The geographic range: size, shape, boundaries, and internal structure. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 27:597–623. , , and .
- 2002. Model selection and mutli-model inference – a practical information theoretical approach, 2nd edn. Springer, New York. , and .
- 2011. R: a language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria.
- 2008. Offense and defense in landscape-level invasion control. Oikos 117:182–190. , and .
- 2010. The art of modelling range-shifting species. Methods Ecol. Evol. 1:330–342. , , and .
- 1997. Quantitative assessment of grassland quality: acoustic determination of population sizes of orthopteran indicator species. Ecol. Appl. 7:909–920. , , , , and .
- 2009. Macropterism of Roesel's Bushcricket Metrioptera roeselii in relation to climate change and landscape structure in eastern England. J. Orthoptera Res. 18:95–102.
- 2010. Unite research with what citizens do for fun: “recreational monitoring'' of marine biodiversity. Ecol. Appl. 20:2170–2187. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Accounting for recorder effort in the detection of range shifts from historical data. Methods Ecol. Evol. 1:343–350. , and .
- 2006. The distributions of a wide range of taxonomic groups are expanding polewards. Glob. Change Biol. 12:450–455. , , , , and .
- 2001. Impacts of landscape structure on butterfly range expansion. Ecol. Lett. 4:313–321. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Rapid range expansion of a wing-dimorphic bush-cricket after the 2003 climatic anomaly. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 97:118–127. , and .
- 2006. Effect of historic landscape change on the genetic structure of the bush-cricket Metrioptera roeseli. Landscape Ecol. 21:891–899. , , , , and .
- 2003. Biological invasions: winning the science battles but losing the conservation war? Oryx 37:178–193.
- 1984. The influence of environmental factors on dormancy and duration of egg development in Metrioptera roeseli (Orthoptera: Tettigoniidae). Oecologia 61:254–258.
- 1991. Cikadavårtbitaren Metrioptera roeseli– nykomling eller hotad relikt? [The Roesel's bush-cricket Metrioptera roeseli - new in Sweden or a threatened relict species?]. Fauna och Flora 86:215–221. , and .
- 2013. Colonization history of Metrioptera roeselii in northern Europe indicates human-mediated dispersal. J. Biogeogr. 40:977–987. , , and .
- 2008. Preventing the spread of invasive species: economic benefits of intervention guided by ecological predictions. Conserv. Biol. 22:80–88. , , and .
- 2011. The influence of satellite populations of emerald ash borer on projected economic costs in US communities, 2010-2020. J. Environ. Manage. 92:2170–2181. , , , , , and .
- 1997. Range expansion of raptors in Britain and the Netherlands since the 1960s: testing an individual-based diffusion model. J. Anim. Ecol. 66:811–826.
- 1988. Grasshoppers and allied insects of Great Britain and Ireland. Harley Books, Martins, Great Horkesley, Colchester, Essex, UK. , and .
- 2011. Expanding northward: influence of climate change, forest connectivity, and population processes on a threatened species' range shift. Glob. Change Biol. 17:17–31. , , , and .
- 2010. Fronts, jumps and secondary introductions suggested as different invasion patterns in marine species, with an increase in spread rates over time. Proc. Biol. Sci. 277:2693–2701. , , , , and .
- 1988. Controlling the spread of plant invasions: the importance of nascent foci. J. Appl. Ecol. 25:1009–1021. , and .
- 2003. A globally coherent fingerprint of climate change impacts across natural systems. Nature 421:37–42. , and .
- 1996. New records of Roesel's bush-cricket, Metrioptera roeseli (Orthoptera: Tettigoniidae), north of Lake Malaren, south-Central Sweden. Entomol. Tidskr 117:121–122.
- 2003) JAGS: a program for analysis of Bayesian graphical models using Gibbs sampling. In: Proceedings of the 3rd International Workshop on Distributed Statistical Computing, Austria, 20-22 March 2003. ISSN 1609-395X (
- 2005. Die Ökologie von Roesels Beißschrecke (Metrioptera roeselii) im Feuchtgrünland der Medebacher Bucht (Südwestfalen). Articulata 20:85–111. , and .
- 2010. What determines the distribution of a flightless bush-cricket (Metrioptera brachyptera) in a fragmented landscape? J. Insect Conserv. 14:637–645. , and .
- 2009. Species traits explain recent range shifts of Finnish butterflies. Glob. Change Biol. 15:732–743. , , , , and .
- 2012) Expansion Rate & Dispersal Pattern of the Non-Native Roesel's Bush-Cricket in Sweden. [PhD thesis], Acta Universitatis Agriculturae Sueciae, Uppsala. (
- 2011. Modelling the distribution of Roesel's bush-cricket (Metrioptera roeselii) in a fragmented landscape. NeoBiota 11:33–49. , , and .
- 1997. Biological invasions: theory and practice. Oxford University Press, Oxford. , and .
- 2003) Changes in dispersal during range expansion. [PhD thesis], University of Leeds, Leeds, UK. (
- 2004. Changes in dispersal during species' range expansions. Am. Nat. 164:378–395. , and .
- 2011. Evaluating citizen-based presence data for bird monitoring. Biol. Conserv. 144:804–810. , , , and .
- Species Gateway (2010) Swedish Species Information Centre, Swedish Environmental Protetction Agency.
- 2012. Equilibrium or not? Modelling potential distribution of invasive species in different stages of invasion. Divers. Distrib. 18:73–83. , and .
- 1990. The velocity of spatial population expansion. J. Math. Biol. 28:529–565. , , and .
- 2005. Expanding ranges of wild and feral deer in Great Britain. Mamm. Rev. 35:165–173.