Elevational variation in density dependence in a subtropical forest
Version of Record online: 30 MAY 2014
© 2014 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 4, Issue 14, pages 2823–2833, July 2014
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2014; 4(14):2823–2833
- Issue online: 21 JUL 2014
- Version of Record online: 30 MAY 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 30 APR 2014
- Manuscript Revised: 5 MAR 2014
- Manuscript Received: 8 AUG 2013
- National Natural Science Foundation of China. Grant Numbers: 31230013, 30730021
- Zhang-Hongda Science Foundation at Sun Yat-sen University
- 2007. A niche for neutrality. Ecol. Lett. 10:95–104. , , and .
- 2011. Light converts endosymbiotic fungus to pathogen, influencing seedling survival and niche-space filling of a common tropical tree, Iriartea deltoidea. PloS one 6:e16386. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Positive density dependence in seedlings of the neotropical tree species Garcinia macrophylla and Xylopia micans. J. Veg. Sci. 20:27–36.
- 1983. Seed dispersal of the tropical tree, Platypodium elegans, and the escape of its seedlings from fungal pathogens. J. Ecol. 71:759–771.
- 1984. Pathogen mortality of tropical tree seedlings: experimental studies of the effects of dispersal distance, seedling density, and light conditions. Oecologia 61:211–217. , and .
- 2008. Mixed-effects modeling with crossed random effects for subjects and items. J. Mem. Lang. 59:390–412. , , and .
- 2010. Testing the Janzen-Connell mechanism: pathogens cause overcompensating density dependence in a tropical tree. Ecol. Lett. 13:1262–1269. , , , , , , et al.
- 2014. Pathogens and insect herbivores drive rainforest plant diversity and composition. Nature 506:85–88. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. lme4: Linear mixed-effects models using S4 classes. R package version 0.999375-42. Available at: http://lme4.r-forge.r-project.org/. , , and .
- 2006. Plant pathogens drive density-dependent seedling mortality in a tropical tree. Ecol. Lett. 9:569–574. , , and .
- 2013. Pathogen regulation of plant diversity via effective specialization. Trends Ecol. Evol. 28:705–711. , , , and .
- 2009. Generalized linear mixed models: a practical guide for ecology and evolution. Trends Ecol. Evol. 24:127–135. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Drought stress and tropical forest woody seedlings: effect on community structure and composition. J. Ecol. 93:794–806. , and .
- 1987. Diseases & plant population biology. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, U.K.
- 2009. Coevolution of plants and their pathogens in natural habitats. Science 324:755–756. , and .
- 2007. Positive interactions and interdependence in plant communities. Springer, Dordrecht, the Netherlands. .
- 2008. Challenges associated with testing and falsifying the Janzen-Connell hypothesis, a review and critique. Pp. 210–241. in W. P. Carson and A. S. stefan, eds. Tropical forest community ecology. Wiley-Blackwell, West Sussex. , , , and .
- 2010. Community-level consequences of density dependence and habitat association in a subtropical broad-leaved forest. Ecol. Lett. 13:695–704. , , , , , and .
- 2011. A theoretical model linking interspecific variation in density dependence to species abundances. Theoret. Ecol. 4:241–253. , and .
- 1996. Herbivory and plant defenses in tropical forests. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 27:305–335. , and .
- 2009. Local neighborhood and species’ shade tolerance influence survival in a diverse seedling bank. Ecology 90:328–334. , and .
- 2010. Asymmetric density dependence shapes species abundances in a tropical tree community. Science 329:330–332. , , , and .
- 1971. On the role of natural enemies in preventing competitive exclusion in some marine animals and in rain forest trees. Pp. 298–312. in P. J. D. Boer and G. Gradwell, eds. Dynamics of populations. Centre for Agricultural Publishing and Documentation, Wageningen, The Netherlands. .
- 1984. Compensatory recruitment, growth, and mortality as factors maintaining rain forest tree diversity. Ecol. Monogr. 54:141–164. , , and .
- 2007. Methods to account for spatial autocorrelation in the analysis of species distributional data: a review. Ecography 30:609–628. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Under strong niche overlap conspecifics do not compete but help each other to survive: facilitation at the intraspecific level. J. Ecol. 99:642–650. , and .
- 2006. Pathogens, density dependence and the coexistence of tropical trees. Proceed. Royal Soc. B: Biol. Sci. 273:2909–2916. , and .
- 2000. Pervasive density-dependent recruitment enhances seedling diversity in a tropical forest. Nature 404:493–495. , , , , and .
- 1977. Population biology of plants. Acdemic Press, London.
- 2012. Evaluating the impacts of multiple generalist fungal pathogens on temperate tree seedling survival. Ecology 93:511–520. , , and .
- 2004. The influence of spatial patterns of damping-off disease and arbuscular mycorrhizal colonization on tree seedling establishment in Ghanaian tropical forest soil. J. Ecol. 92:816–823. , , and .
- 2001. Local neighborhood effects on long-term survival of individual trees in a neotropical forest. Ecol. Res. 16:859–875. , , , and .
- 2009. Effect of light conditions on the resistance of current-year Fagus crenata seedlings against fungal pathogens causing damping-off in a natural beech forest: fungus isolation and histological and chemical resistance. J. Chem. Ecol. 35:1077–1085. , and .
- 1970. Herbivores and the number of tree species in tropical forests. Am. Nat. 104:501–528.
- 2012. Conspecific negative density dependence and forest diversity. Science 336:904–907. , , , and .
- 1999. Light gradient partitioning among tropical tree species through differential seedling mortality and growth. Ecology 80:187–201.
- 2011. Conspecific density dependence in seedlings varies with species shade tolerance in a wet tropical forest. Ecol. Lett. 14:503–510. , and .
- 2011. Spatial variation in disease resistance: from molecules to metapopulations. J. Ecol. 99:96–112. , , , and .
- 2002. Density-dependent mortality and the latitudinal gradient in species diversity. Nature 417:732–735. , , and .
- 2010. Close relatives are bad news. Nature 466:698–699.
- 2012. Seasonal differentiation in density-dependent seedling survival in a tropical rain forest. J. Ecol. 100:905–914. , , , and .
- 2012a. Experimental evidence for a phylogenetic Janzen-Connell effect in a subtropical forest. Ecol. Lett. 15:111–118. , , , , , and .
- 2012b. Analysis of a negative plant–soil feedback in a subtropical monsoon forest. J. Ecol. 100:1019–1028. , , , and .
- 2009. Refining the stress-gradient hypothesis for competition and facilitation in plant communities. J. Ecol. 97:199–205. , , , and .
- 2010. What does the stress-gradient hypothesis predict? Resolving the discrepancies. Oikos 119:1546–1552. , and .
- 2010. Negative plant-soil feedback predicts tree-species relative abundance in a tropical forest. Nature 466:752–755. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Soil fungal pathogens and the relationship between plant diversity and productivity. Ecol. Lett. 14:36–41. , , , and .
- 2008. Tolerance of soil pathogens co-varies with shade tolerance across species of tropical tree seedlings. Ecology 89:1883–1892. , and .
- 2010. Conspecific plant-soil feedbacks reduce survivorship and growth of tropical tree seedlings. J. Ecol. 98:396–407. , and .
- 2010. Widespread density-dependent seedling mortality promotes species coexistence in a highly diverse Amazonian rain forest. Ecology 91:3675–3685. , , and .
- 2011. Pathogen impacts on plant communities: unifying theory, concepts, and empirical work. Ecol. Monogr. 81:429–441.
- 2004. Evidence that fungal pathogens inhibit recruitment of a shade-intolerant tree, white birch (Betula papyrifera), in understory habitats. Oecologia 140:650–653. , and .
- 2000. Soil pathogens and spatial patterns of seedling mortality in a temperate tree. Nature 404:278–281. , and .
- 2008. Weak competition among tropical tree seedlings: implications for species coexistence. Biotropica 40:432–440. , , , and .
- 2009. Aggressiveness and its role in the adaptation of plant pathogens. Plant. Pathol. 58:409–424. , , , , , and .
- 2003. Neighbour-regulated mortality: the influence of positive and negative density dependence on tree populations in species-rich tropical forests. Ecol. Lett. 6:757–765.
- 2012. Density dependence across multiple life stages in a temperate old-growth forest of northeast China. Oecologia 172:207–217. , , , and .
- 2007. Neighborhood and community interactions determine the spatial pattern of tropical tree seedling survival. Ecology 88:2248–2258. , , , and .
- R Development Core Team. 2011. R: A language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria. ISBN, 3-900051.
- 2009. Spatial variation in soil-borne disease dynamics of a temperate tree, Prunus serotina. Ecology 90:2984–2993. , and .
- 2010. Virulence of soil-borne pathogens and invasion by Prunus serotina. New Phytol. 186:484–495. , , , and .
- 2011. Soil microbes drive the classic plant diversity-productivity pattern. Ecology 92:296–303. , , , , , , et al.
- 2014. Density dependence in forests is stronger in tropical and subtropical climates among closely related species. Ecography. doi:10.1111/j.1600-0587.2013.00293.x. , , and .
- 2010. On the evidence for species coexistence: a critique of the coexistence program. Ecology 91:3153–3164. , and .
- 2008. Seedling interactions in a tropical forest in Panama. Oecologia 155:143–150. , , and .
- 2012. Consequences of changing rainfall for fungal pathogen-induced mortality in tropical tree seedlings. Ecol. Evol. 2:1408–1413. , , , and .
- 2012. Variation in infectivity and aggressiveness in space and time in wild host–pathogen systems: causes and consequences. J. Evol. Biol. 25:1918–1936. , , , , and .
- 2005. Density dependence explains tree species abundance and diversity in tropical forests. Nature 438:658–661. , , , , and .
- 1999. Seedling density dependence promotes coexistence of Bornean rain forest trees. Ecology 80:2006–2017. , and .
- 1995. A genetic herd-immunity model for the maintenance of MHC polymorphism. Immunol. Rev. 143:263–292. , and .
- 1997. Strong density-and diversity-related effects help to maintain tree species diversity in a neotropical forest. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 94:1252–1257. , , , and .
- 1984. Effects of soil temperature and moisture on the pathogenicity of fungi associated with root rot of subterranean clover. Crop Past. Sci. 35:675–684. , , and .
- 2002. Plant diversity in tropical forests: a review of mechanisms of species coexistence. Oecologia 130:1–14.
- 2012. Strong self-limitation promotes the persistence of rare species. Ecology 93:456–461. , , and .
- 2000. The vegetation classification and its digitized map of Heishiding Nature Reserve, Guangdong I. The distribution of the vegetation type and formation. Acta Sci. Nat. Univers. Sunyat. 39:61–66. , , , and .
- 2010. Density dependence is prevalent in a heterogeneous subtropical forest. Oikos 119:109–119. , , , and .