Effects of agri-environmental schemes on farmland birds: do food availability measurements improve patterns obtained from simple habitat models?
Article first published online: 11 JUN 2014
© 2014 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 4, Issue 14, pages 2834–2847, July 2014
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2014; 4(14):2834–2847
- Issue published online: 21 JUL 2014
- Article first published online: 11 JUN 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 30 APR 2014
- Manuscript Revised: 28 APR 2014
- Manuscript Received: 15 APR 2014
- Dirección General de Investigación of the Spanish Ministry for Science and Innovation. Grant Numbers: CGL2008-02567, CGL2005-04893
- 2012. Leks in ground-displaying birds: hotspots or safe places? Behav. Ecol. 23:491–501. , , and .
- 2010. Retention of native vegetation within the plantation matrix improves its conservation value for a generalist woodpecker. Forest Ecol. Manag. 260:595–602.
- 2014. Nesting habitat selection of Mediterranean raptors in managed pinewoods: searching for common patterns to derive conservation recommendations. Bird Conserv. Int. 24:138–151. , and .
- 2013. MuMIn: Multi-model inference. R package version 1.9.13. ,
- 2003. Farmland biodiversity: is habitat heterogeneity the key? Trends Ecol. Evol. 18:182–188. , , and .
- 2008. Indicators for biodiversity in agricultural landscapes: a pan-European study. J. Appl. Ecol. 45:141–150. , , , , , , et al.
- BirdLife International. 2004. Birds in Europe: population estimates, trends and conservation status. BirdLife International, Cambridge, U.K.
- 1999. Relating populations to habitats using resource selection functions. Trends Ecol. Evol. 14:268–272. , and .
- 2012. Diet of young Great Bustards Otis tarda in Spain: sexual and seasonal differences. Bird Study 59:243–251. , , , and .
- 2009. Do meadow birds profit from agri-environment schemes in Dutch agricultural landscapes? Biol. Conserv. 142:2949–2953. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Rapid recovery of a depleted population of Little Bustards Tetrax tetrax following provision of alfalfa through an agri-environment scheme. Ibis 153:4–13. , , , , , and .
- 2002. Model selection and multi-model inference. A practical information-theoretic approach. Springer, New York. , and .
- 2013. Functional space and the population dynamics of birds in agro-ecosystems. Agr. Ecosyst. Environ., 164:200–208. , and .
- 2005. Stubble height affects the use of stubble fields by farmland birds. J. Appl. Ecol. 42:469–476. , , and .
- 2007. Farmland biodiversity and the footprint of agriculture. Science 315:381–384. , , and .
- 2010a. Quantifying the impact of land-use change to European farmland bird populations. Agr. Ecosyst. Environ., 137:348–357. , , , , and .
- 2010b. Resource availability and the persistence of seed-eating bird populations in agricultural landscapes: a mechanistic modelling approach. J. Appl. Ecol. 47:67–75. , , , , , , et al.
- 1997. A review of the indirect effects of pesticides on birds. JNCC Report No. 227. JNCC, Peterborough. , , , , , and .
- 2012. Biodiversity loss and its impact on humanity. Nature 486:59–67. , , , , , , et al.
- 2000. Changes in the abundance of farmland birds in relation to the timing of agricultural intensification in England and Wales. J. Appl. Ecol. 37:771–788. , , , , and .
- 2010. Relative effects of field- and landscape-scale intensification on farmland bird diversity in Mediterranean dry cereal croplands. Asp. Appl. Biol. 100:245–252. , and .
- 2011. Field, landscape and regional effects of farmland management on specialist open-land birds: does body size matter? Agr. Ecosyst. Environ. 142:303–310. , and .
- 2008. Effects of landscape complexity on the ecological effectiveness of agri-environment schemes. Landscape Ecol. 23:135–148. , , and .
- 2012. Interactive effects of landscape context constrain the effectiveness of local agri-environmental management. J. Appl. Ecol. 49:695–705. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Assessing the impact of entry level stewardship on lowland farmland birds in England. Ibis 152:459–474. , , , , , and .
- 2013. Habitat selection and coexistence in wintering passerine steppe birds. J. Ornithol. 154:469–479. , , , , and .
- 1994. Predicting the effects of agricultural changes in central Spain croplands on seed-eating overwintering birds. Agr. Ecosyst. Environ. 49:289–298. , and .
- 2006. Direct and indirect methods for the design and evaluation of European agri-environment schemes. J. Ornithol. 147:156–157. , , and .
- 2001. Agricultural intensification and the collapse of Europe's farmland bird populations. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 268:25–29. , , and .
- 2003. Regional biodiversity in an agricultural landscape: the contribution of semi-natural habitat islands. Basic Appl. Ecol. 4:129–138. , and .
- EBCC, 2010. Population Trends of European Common Birds 2010. EBCC report. http://www.ebcc.info/index.php?ID=392 (accessed 26 June 2013).
- 2014. Optimizing agri-environment schemes for biodiversity, ecosystem services or both? Biol. Conserv. 172:65–71. , , , , and .
- 2011. Programas de seguimiento de SEO/BirdLife en 2009–2010. SEO/BirdLife, Madrid. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Seeds in farmland food-webs: resource importance, distribution and the impacts of farm management. Biol. Conserv. 144:2941–2950. , , , and .
- 2010. Scale matters: the impact of organic farming on biodiversity at different spatial scales. Ecol. Lett. 13:858–869. , , , , , and .
- 2005. Winter availability of cereal stubbles attracts declining farmland birds and positively influences breeding population trends. Proc. Biol. Sci. 272:733–739. , , , and .
- 2011. Conservation management of eastern Australian farmland birds in relation to landscape gradients. J. Appl. Ecol. 48:523–531. , , , and .
- 2000. The relative abundance of birds on set-aside and neighbouring fields in summer. J. Appl. Ecol. 37:335–347. , , , and .
- 2009. Response of bird populations to farmland set-aside programs. Conserv. Biol. 23:1036–1040.
- 1996. The use of regression equations for estimation of arthropod biomass in ecological studies. Acta Oecol. 17:421–433.
- 2012. A global synthesis reveals biodiversity loss as a major driver of ecosystem change. Nature 486:105–108. , , , , , , et al.
- 1990. Digestion in birds: chemical and physiological determinants and ecological implications. Pp. 391–415 in M. L. Morrison, C. J. Ralph, J. Verner and J. R. Jehl, eds. Avian foraging: theory, methodology and applications. Cooper Ornithological Society, San Diego, CA.
- 2003. How effective are European agri-environment schemes in conserving and promoting biodiversity? J. Appl. Ecol. 40:947–969. , and .
- 2006. Mixed biodiversity benefits of agri-environment schemes in five European countries. Ecol. Lett. 9:243–254. , , , et al.
- 2011. Does conservation on farmland contribute to halting the biodiversity decline? Trends Ecol. Evol. 26:474–481. , , , , and .
- 1999. Seasonal changes in diet and diet selection of great bustards (Otis t. tarda) in north-west Spain. J. Zool. Lond. 247:201–214. , , , and .
- 2011. Brood ranging behaviour and breeding success of the threatened little bustard in an intensified cereal farmland area. Biol. Conserv. 144:2882–2890. , , , , and .
- 2012. Effects of agri-environment management for stone curlews on other biodiversity. Biol. Conserv. 148:134–145. , , , , and .
- 2013. Do hot spots of breeding birds serve as surrogate hot spots of wintering birds? An example from central Spain. Anim. Conserv. 16:60–68. , , and .
- 2012. Land-use and environmental pressures resulting from current and future bioenergy crop expansion: a review. J. Rural Stud. 28:650–658. , , , , and .
- 2004. The recent declines of farmland bird populations in Britain: an appraisal of causal factors and conservation actions. Ibis 146:579–600.
- 1993. A possible method for the rapid assessment of biodiversity. Conserv. Biol. 7:562–568. , and .
- 1999. Long-term changes in over-winter survival rates explain the decline in Reed Buntings Emberiza Schoeniclus in Britain. J. Appl. Ecol. 36:798–811. , , and .
- 2001. Countryside stewardship delivers cirl bunting in Devon. Biol. Conserv. 101:361–373. , , , and .
- 2011. Adaptive management and targeting of agri-environment schemes does benefit biodiversity: a case study of the corn bunting Emberiza calandra. J. Appl. Ecol. 48:514–522. , , , and .
- 2011. Effects of organic farming on plant and arthropod communities: a case study in Mediterranean dryland cereal. Agr. Ecosyst. Environ. 141:193–201. , , , , and .
- 2012. Mixed effectiveness of French agri-environment schemes for nationwide farmland bird conservation. Agr. Ecosyst. Environ. 149:74–79. , , and .
- R Core Team, 2013. R: A language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria. ISBN 3-900051-07-0, URL http://www.R-project.org/.
- 2002. Post war changes in arable farming and biodiversity in Great Britain. J. Appl. Ecol. 39:157–176. , and .
- 2005. Predicting locations of moose-vehicle collisions in Sweden. J. Appl. Ecol. 42:371–382.
- 1999. Temporal variation in the annual survival rates of six granivorous birds with contrasting population trends. Ibis 141:621–636. , , and .
- 2000. The importance of variation in the breeding performance of seed-eating birds in determining their population trends on farmland. J. Appl. Ecol. 37:128–148. , , , and .
- 2007. The effect of supplementary winter seed food on breeding populations of farmland birds: evidence from two large-scale experiments. J. Appl. Ecol. 44:920–932. , , , , , and .
- 2004. Development of an agri-environment scheme option: seed-bearing crops for farmland birds. Ibis 146:203–209. , , and .
- 2009. Ecological impact of early 21st century agricultural change in Europe—a review. J. Environ. Manage. 91:22–46. , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Adequacy of winter stubble maintenance for steppe passerine conservation in central Spain. Agr. Ecosyst. Environ. 104:667–671. , , , , , and .
- 2011. Global food demand and the sustainable intensification of agriculture. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. U S A 108:20260–20264. , , , and .
- 2012. Biodiversity impacts ecosystem productivity as much as resources, disturbance or herbivory. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. U S A 109:10394–10397. , , and .
- 2008. Selection of breeding territory by little bustard (Tetrax tetrax) males in Central Spain: the role of arthropod availability. Ecol. Res. 23:615–622. , , , and .
- 2005. Landscape perspectives on agricultural intensification and biodiversity-ecosystem service management. Ecol. Lett. 8:857–874. , , , , and .
- 2005. The continuing challenges of testing species distribution models. J. Appl. Ecol. 42:720–730. , and .
- 2007. Direct and indirect effects of the most widely implemented Dutch agri-environment schemes on breeding waders. J. Appl. Ecol. 44:70–80. , , and .
- 2001. The management of lowland neutral grasslands in Britain: effects of agricultural practices on birds and their food resources. J. Appl. Ecol. 38:647–664. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Altering perceived predation risk and food availability: management prescriptions to benefit farmland birds on stubble fields. J. Appl. Ecol. 43:640–650. , , , and .
- 2009. Bird conservation and agriculture. Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge, U.K. , , and .
- 2011. Mixed effects of organic farming and landscape complexity on farmland biodiversity and biological control potential across Europe. J. Appl. Ecol. 48:570–579. , , , , et al.
- 2011. Species richness and composition of bird communities in various field margins of Poland. Agr. Ecosyst. Environ. 141:202–209. , , , and .
- 2009. Mixed effects models and extensions in ecology with R. Springer, New York. , , , , and .