Model-based conservation planning of the genetic diversity of Phellodendron amurense Rupr due to climate change
Article first published online: 14 JUN 2014
© 2014 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 4, Issue 14, pages 2884–2900, July 2014
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2014; 4(14):2884–2900
- Issue published online: 21 JUL 2014
- Article first published online: 14 JUN 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 6 MAY 2014
- Manuscript Revised: 1 MAY 2014
- Manuscript Received: 13 JAN 2014
- National Basic Research Program of China. Grant Number: 2011CB403200
- National Basic Research Priorities Program of the Ministry of Science and Technology of China. Grant Number: 2014FY110600
- National Natural Science Foundation of China. Grant Number: 41330530
- 2012. Habitat distribution modelling for reintroduction of Ilex khasiana Purk, a critically endangered tree species of northeastern India. Ecol. Eng. 40:37–43. , , and .
- 2006. Assessing the accuracy of species distribution models: prevalence, kappa and the true skill statistic (TSS). J. Appl. Ecol. 43:1223–1232. , , and .
- 2012. Genetic consequences of climate change for northern plants. Proc. Biol. Sci. 279:2042–2051. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. In vitro regeneration of the medicinal woody plant Phellodendron amurense Rupr. through excised leaves. Plant Cell, Tissue Organ Cult. 80:43–50. , , , , , and .
- 2013. Climate change, predictive modelling and lemur health: assessing impacts of changing climate on health and conservation in Madagascar. Biol. Conserv. 157:409–422. , , , and .
- 2012. Disregarding the edaphic dimension in species distribution models leads to the omission of crucial spatial information under climate change: the case of Quercus pubescens in France. Glob. Change Biol. 18:2648–2660. , , and .
- 2014. Conservation without nature: the trouble with in situ versus ex situ conservation. Geoforum 51:47–57.
- 2012. Spatially explicit models of dynamic histories: examination of the genetic consequences of Pleistocene glaciation and recent climate change on the American Pika. Mol. Ecol. 21:3757–3775. , and .
- 2012. Patterns of gene flow define species of thermophilic Archaea. PLoS Biol. 10:e1001265. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Adaptation, plasticity, and extinction in a changing environment: towards a predictive theory. PLoS Biol. 8:e1000357. , , and .
- 2013. Gap analyses to support ex situ conservation of genetic diversity in Magnolia, a flagship group. Biodivers. Conserv. 22:1–24. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Range shift and loss of genetic diversity under climate change in Caryocar brasiliense, a Neotropical tree species. Tree Genet. Genomes 7:1237–1247. , , and .
- 2013. Demographic history and the low genetic diversity in Dipteryxalata (Fabaceae) from Brazilian Neotropical savannas. Heredity 111:97–105. , , , , and .
- 2006. The derivation of species response curves with Gaussian logistic regression is sensitive to sampling intensity and curve characteristics. Ecol. Model. 199:164–175. , and .
- 2011. Beyond predictions: biodiversity conservation in a changing climate. Science 332:53–58. , , , , and .
- 2012. Conserving the Brazilian semiarid (Caatinga) biome under climate change. Biodivers. Conserv. 21:2913–2926. , , , , and .
- 2012. Empirical evidence for reduced protection levels across biodiversity features from target-based conservation planning. Biol. Conserv. 153:187–191. , and .
- 2007. Promising the future? Global change projections of species distributions. Basic Appl. Ecol. 8:387–397.
- 2008. Components of uncertainty in species distribution analysis: a case study of the great grey shrike. Ecology 89:3371–3386. , , , , and .
- 2011. Study on the distribution pattern and niche of endangered Magnolia sieboldii in Jilin province. J. Nanjing Forestry Uni. 35:33–37. , , , , , and .
- 2013. Predicting the impacts of climate change on genetic diversity in an endangered lizard species. Clim. Change 117:319–327. , , and .
- Editorial Board of National Assessment of Climate Change. 2007. National assessment of climate change. Science Press, Beijing.
- 2004. Key biodiversity areas as site conservation targets. Bioscience 54:1110–1118. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. A statistical explanation of MaxEnt for ecologists. Divers. Distrib. 17:43–57. , , , , , and .
- 2010. Ecological niche modelling of two Afrotropical snakes: is the Sahara desert a true barrier for these species. Rev. Esp. Herpetol. 4:93–100.
- 2012. Vulnerability of mires under climate change: implications for nature conservation and climate change adaptation. Biodivers. Conserv. 21:655–669. , , , , and .
- 2011. Assessing forest vulnerability and the potential distribution of pine beetles under current and future climate scenarios in the Interior West of the US. For. Ecol. Manage. 262:307–316. , , , and .
- 2013. Defining spatial conservation priorities in the face of land-use and climate change. Biol. Conserv. 158:248–257. , , and .
- 2010. Challenges and opportunities of genetic approaches to biological conservation. Biol. Conserv. 143:1919–1927.
- 2009. Spatial and temporal differentiation rule of the climate change in Northeast China in the past 60 years. J. Arid Land Resour. Environ. 23:60–65. , , and .
- 2012. Species loss and gain in communities under future climate change: consequences for functional diversity. Ecography 5:531–540. , , and .
- 2010. Low genetic diversity and high genetic divergence caused by inbreeding and geographical isolation in the populations of endangered species Loropetalum subcordatum (Hamamelidaceae) endemic to China. Conserv. Genet. 11:2281–2288. , , and .
- 2007. What matters for predicting the occurrences of trees: techniques, data, or species' characteristics? Ecol. Monogr. 77:615–630. , , , , , and .
- 2011. Global warming will affect the genetic diversity and uniqueness of Lycaenahelle populations. Glob. Change Biol. 17:194–205. , , , and .
- 2011. Climate change and evolutionary adaptation. Nature 470:479–485. , and .
- 2013. Green development and ecological construction. Pp. 237–261 in China green development index report 2011. Springer, Heidelberg, Berlin. , , and .
- 2003. Anthropogenic climate change for 1860 to 2100 simulated with the HadCM3 model under updated emissions scenarios. Clim. Dyn. 20:583–612. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Generating characteristic daily weather data using downscaled climate model data from the IPCC's Fourth Assessment. ILRI, Nairobi. , , and .
- 2005. Running to stand still: adaptation and the response of plants to rapid climate change. Ecol. Lett. 8:1010–1020. , and .
- 2010. Modelling exploration of the future of European beech (Fagussylvatica L.) under climate change—Range, abundance, genetic diversity and adaptive response. For. Ecol. Manage. 259:2213–2222. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Assessment of impact of climate change on rhododendrons in Sikkim Himalayas using maxent modelling: limitations and challenges. Biodivers. Conserv. 21:1251–1266.
- 2009. Maxent modeling for predicting suitable habitat for threatened and endangered tree Canacomyrica monticola in New Caledonia. J. Ecol. Nat. Environ. 1:094–098. , and .
- 1999. Genetic diversity, population size, and fitness in central and peripheral populations of a rare plant Lychnisviscaria. Conserv. Biol. 13:1069–1078. , , and .
- 2013. Egypt's Protected Area network under future climate change. Biol. Conserv. 159:490–500. , , and .
- 2013. Methods and workflow for spatial conservation prioritization using Zonation. Environ. Model Softw. 47:128–137. , and .
- 2006. The spatial distribution of constructive species of Northeast forest under the climate changing. Acta Ecol. Sinica 26:4257–4266. , , , and .
- 2002. Ex situ genetic conservation of endangered Vaticaguangxiensis (Dipterocarpaceae) in China. Biol. Conserv. 106:151–156. , , and .
- 2013. Genetic diversity and population structure of the endangered alpine quillwort Isoeteshypsophila (Isoetaceae) revealed by SSR analysis. Biochem. Syst. Ecol. 47:11–20. , , , , and .
- 2012. Scenarios of long-term farm structural change for application in climate change impact assessment. Landscape Ecol. 27:509–527. , , and .
- 2010. Move it or lose it? The ecological ethics of relocating species under climate change. Ecol. Appl. 20:1801–1804. , and .
- 2012. Zonation spatial conservation planning framework and software v. 3.1. User Manual. , , , , , and .
- 2006. GENALEX 6: genetic analysis in Excel. Population genetic software for teaching and research. Mol. Ecol. Notes 6:288–295. , and .
- 2012. Eastern Suburbs Banksia Scrub: rescuing an endangered ecological community. Ecol. Manage. Restor. 13:224–237. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Modeling of species distributions with Maxent: new extensions and a comprehensive evaluation. Ecography 31:161–175. , and .
- 2006. Maximum entropy modelling of species geographic distributions. Ecol. Model. 190:231–259. , , and .
- 2010. Downscaling global circulation model outputs: the delta method decision and policy analysis Working Paper No. 1. Policy Analysis. , and .
- 2011. Using multi-scale modelling to predict habitat suitability for species of conservation concern: the grey long-eared bat as a case study. Biol. Conserv. 144:2922–2930. , , and .
- 2003. Correlation between fitness and genetic diversity. Conserv. Biol. 17:230–237. , and .
- 2012. Wild plant species with extremely small populations require conservation and reintroduction in China. Ambio 41:913–917. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Ex situ conservation of orchids in a warming world. Bot. Rev. 76:193–203. , , , and .
- 2011. Building evolutionary resilience for conserving biodiversity under climate change. Evol. Appl. 4:326–337. , , and .
- 2012. Predicting the current and future potential distributions of Lymphatic filariasis in Africa using maximum entropy ecological niche modelling. PLoS ONE 7:e32202. , and .
- 2010. Gene movement and genetic association with regional climate gradients in California valley oak (Quercuslobata Née) in the face of climate change. Mol. Ecol. 19:3806–3823. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Chloroplast phylogeography of Helianthemum songaricum (Cistaceae) from northwestern China: implications for preservation of genetic diversity. Conserv. Genet. 12:1525–1537. , , and .
- 2013. Identifying the criteria underlying the political decision for the prioritization of the Greek Natura 2000 conservation network. Biol. Conserv. 166:103–110. , , , , , and .
- 2012. Arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi in national parks, nature reserves and protected areas worldwide: a strategic perspective for their in situ conservation. Mycorrhiza 22:81–97. , and .
- 2013. Fitting the negative binomial distribution to Pasteuriapenetrans spore attachment on root-knot nematodes and predicting probability of spore attachments using a Markov chain model. Biocontrol Sci. Tech. 23:1296–1306. , , , and .
- 2010. Predicting species distribution and abundance responses to climate change: why it is essential to include biotic interactions across trophic levels. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. Lond., B, Biol. Sci. 365:2025–2034. , , and .
- 2012. Mapping genetic diversity of cherimoya (Annonacherimola Mill.): application of spatial analysis for conservation and use of plant genetic resources. PLoS ONE 7:e29845. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Meta-Analysis of Susceptibility of Woody Plants to Loss of Genetic Diversity through Habitat Fragmentation. Conserv. Biol. 26:228–237. , , , and .
- 2011. Ecological niche modelling in Maxent: the importance of model complexity and the performance of model selection criteria. Ecol. Appl. 21:335–342. , and .
- 2008. Genetic diversity evaluation of ex-situ conservation population of Phellodendron amurense detected by AFLP markers. Zhongguo Zhong Yao Za Zhi 33:1121–1125. , , and .
- 1996. The population genetic consequences of habitat fragmentation for plants. Trends Ecol. Evol. 11:413–418. , , and .
- 2011. Forest management in Northeast China: history, problems, and challenges. Environ. Manage. 48:1122–1135. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Isolation and characterization of 13 novel polymorphic microsatellite markers for Pinus koraiensis (Pinaceae). Am. J. Bot. 99:e421–e424. , , , , , and .
- 2013. Development and Characterization of Polymorphic Microsatellite Loci in Phellodendron amurense (Rutaceae). Appl. Plant Sci. 1:1200321. , , , , , , et al.
- 1998. Potential natural vegetation: validity and applicability in landscape planning and nature conservation. Appl. Veg. Sci. 1:165–172.
- 2014. Major declines of woody plant species ranges under climate change in Yunnan. China. Divers. Distrib. 20:405–415. , , , , , and .
- 2011. National parks in China: experiments with protecting nature and human livelihoods in Yunnan province, Peoples' Republic of China (PRC). Biol. Conserv. 144:1314–1321. , and .