Interactions between a pollinating seed predator and its host plant: the role of environmental context within a population
Article first published online: 22 JUN 2014
© 2014 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 4, Issue 14, pages 2901–2912, July 2014
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2014; 4(14):2901–2912
- Issue published online: 21 JUL 2014
- Article first published online: 22 JUN 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 30 APR 2014
- Manuscript Received: 7 APR 2014
- Mountain Lake Biological Station
- Biology Summer Fellowship
- Darwin Fellowship
- Wylie Dissertation Fellowship
- NSF. Grant Number: DEB-0108285
- 2007. Filling key gaps in population and community ecology. Front. Ecol. Environ. 5:145–152. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Plant reproductive susceptibility to habitat fragmentation: review and synthesis through a meta-analysis. Ecol. Lett. 9:968–980. , , , and .
- 2009. The town of Crepis and the country Crepis: how does fragmentation affect a plant-pollinator interaction? Acta Oecol. 35:1–7. , , , , and .
- 1971. A technique for the study of insect-borne pollen. Pan-Pac. Entomol. 47:82.
- 2009. Silene as a model system in ecology and evolution. Heredity 103:5–14. , , , , , , et al.
- 2013. Climate change and the past, present and future of biotic interactions. Science 342:499–504. , , , and .
- 1976. Riddles around pollination of Melandrium album (Mill) Garcke (Caryophyllaceae) during oviposition by Hadena bicruris Hufn (Noctuidae Lepidoptera). 2. Proc. Koninklijke Nederlandse Akademie Van Wetenschappen Ser. C: Biol. Med. Sci. 79:127–141.
- 1994. Conditional outcomes in mutualistic interactions. Trends Ecol. Evol. 9:214–217.
- 2013. Specialist pollinating seed predator exhibits oviposition strategy consistent with optimal oviposition theory. Ecol. Entomol. 38:164–172. , , , , and .
- 2014. Invasive Silene latifolia may benefit from a native pollinating seed predator, Hadena ectypa, in North America. Int. J. Plant Sci. 175:80–91. , , , , and .
- 2009. Early inbreeding depression in the sexually polymorphic plant Dianthus sylrestris (Caryophyllacae): effects of selfing and biparental inbreeding among sex morphs. Am. J. Bot. 96:2279–2287. , , and .
- 2010. Diversity of floral visitors to sympatric Lithophragma species differing in floral morphology. Oecologia 162:71–80. , and .
- 2000. Depressed pollination in habitat fragments causes low fruit set. Proc. Biol. Sci. 267:1149–1152.
- 2000. A survey and overview of habitat fragmentation experiments. Conserv. Biol. 14:342–355. , and .
- 2007. Geographical and within-population variation in the globeflower-globeflower fly interaction: the costs and benefits of rearing pollinator's larvae. Oecologia 153:69–79. , , , and .
- 1990. Relative fitness of selfed and outcrossed progeny in a self-compatible protandrous species, Sabatia angularis L. (Gentianaceae): a comparison in three environments. Evolution 44:1129–1139.
- 2003. Conflicts between plants and pollinators that reproduce within inflorescences: evolutionary variations on a theme. Oikos 100:3–14. , and .
- 2005. Plant population size and isolation affect herbivory of Silene latifolia by the specialist herbivore Hadena bicruris and parasitism of the herbivore by parasitoids. Oecologia 144:416–426. , , , and .
- 2005. When can herbivores slow or reverse the spread of an invading plant? A test case from Mount St. Helens. Am. Nat. 166:669–685. , , , , , and .
- 2007. Scale-dependent effects of habitat fragmentation on hawthorn pollination, frugivory, and seed predation. Conserv. Biol. 21:400–411. , and .
- 2001. Consequences of subpopulation isolation for pollination, herbivory, and population growth in Clarkia concinna concinna (Onagraceae). Biol. Conserv. 100:55–63.
- 2009. Density effects as multiple scales in an experimental plant population. J. Ecol. 95:435–445. , and .
- 2009. Consumer-resource theory predicts dynamic transitions between outcomes of interspecific interactions. Ecol. Lett. 12:1357–1366. , and .
- 1999. Geographic and population variation in pollinating seed-consuming interactions between senita cacti (Lophocereus schotti) and senita moths (Upiga virescens). Oecologia 121:405–410. , and .
- 1984. Enemy free space and the structure of ecological communities. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 23:269–286. , and .
- 1999. Mechanisms of reduced Trillium recruitment along edges of old-growth forest fragments. Conserv. Biol. 13:784–793. , and .
- 1998. Endangered mutualisms: the conservation of plant-pollinator interactions. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 29:83–112. , , and .
- 2006. Pollination and seed predation by moths on Silene and allied Caryophyllaceae: evaluating a model system to study the evolution of mutualisms. New Phytol. 169:667–680. , , , , and .
- 2001. The effect of plant population size on the interactions between the rare plant Gentiana cruciate and its specialized herbivore Maculinea rebeli. J. Ecol. 89:418–427. , , and .
- 2010. Effects of population size on plant reproduction and pollinator abundance in a specialized pollination system. J. Ecol. 98:1389–1397. , , and .
- 2005. Pollen limitation of plant reproduction: pattern and process. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Evol. Syst. 36:467–497. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Quantifying context-dependent outcomes of the interaction between Silene stellata (Caryophyllaceae) and its pollinating seed predator, Hadena ectypa (Noctuidae), a potential mutualist. Ph.D. Dissertation, Behavior, Ecology, Evolution and Systematics Graduate Program, University of Maryland, College Park, MA.
- 2013. Choice and consequences of oviposition by a pollinating seed predator, Hadena ectypa (Noctuidae), on its host plant, Silene stellata (Caryophyllaceae). Am. J. Bot. 100:1148–1154. , , and .
- 1997. Population biology and rarity: on the complexity of density dependence in insect-plant interactions. Pp. 150–173 in W. E. Kunin and K. J. Gaston, eds. The biology of rarity: causes and consequences of rare-common differences. Chapman and Hall, London, U.K.
- 1982. Distribution ecology: variation in plant recruitment over a gradient in relation to insect seed predation. Ecol. Monogr. 52:25–41.
- 1997. The relative contributions of seed and pollen movement to the local genetic structure of Silene alba. J. Hered. 88:257–263.
- 2006. The effects of plant density upon pollination success, reproductive effort and fruit parasitism in Cistus landanifer L. (Cistaceae). Plant Ecol. 185:41–47. , and .
- 2009. Impacts of insect herbivory on cactus population dynamics: experimental demography across an environmental gradient. Ecol. Monogr. 79:155–172. , , , and .
- 2004. Facilitative interactions among plants via shared pollinators. Ecology 85:3289–3301.
- 2008. Wake up and smell the roses: the ecology and evolution of floral scent. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Evol. Syst. 39:549–569.
- 2002. Variation in insect herbivory across a salt marsh tidal gradient influences plant survival and distribution. Oecologia 132:549–558.
- 2008. Point and interval estimates of pollinator importance: a study using pollination data of Silene caroliniana. Oecologia 156:325–332. , and .
- 2009. Pollinator specialization and pollination syndromes of three related North American Silene. Ecology 90:2077–2087. , , , , , and .
- 2012. Variable nursery pollinator importance and its effect on plant reproductive success. Oecologia 168:439–448. , , , and .
- 1999. The influence of population size and isolation on gene flow by pollen in Silene alba. Evolution 53:63–73. , , and .
- 1973. Organization of a plant-arthropod association in simple and diverse habitats: the fauna of collards (Brassica oleracea). Ecol. Monogr. 43:95–124.
- 1991. Biological consequences of ecosystem fragmentation: a review. Conserv. Biol. 5:18–32. , , and .
- 2001. Long-distance pollinator flights and pollen dispersal between populations of Delphinium nuttallianum. Oecologia 127:239–245. , and .
- 2002. Geographic structure and dynamics of coevolutionary selection. Nature 417:735–738. , and .
- 2006. Temporal dynamics of antagonism and mutualism in a geographically variable plant-insect interaction. Ecology 87:103–112. , and .
- 2010. Retention of mutualism in a geographically diverging interaction. Ecol. Lett. 210:1368–1377. , , and .
- 1979. Co-evolution of figs and their insect pollinators. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 10:1–12.