The magnitude of behavioral isolation is affected by characteristics of the mating community
Article first published online: 22 JUN 2014
© 2014 The Author. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 4, Issue 14, pages 2945–2956, July 2014
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2014; 4(14):2945–2956
- Issue published online: 21 JUL 2014
- Article first published online: 22 JUN 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 27 MAY 2014
- Manuscript Revised: 15 MAY 2014
- Manuscript Received: 5 MAR 2014
- Chicago Fellowship
- 1970. A new method of interpolation and smooth curve fitting based on local procedures. J. Assoc. Comput. Mach. 17:589–602.
- 2006. akima: Interpolation of irregularly spaced data. R package version 0.5-1. Available via http://CRAN. R-project. org/package= akima. , , , and .
- 1998. Genetic analysis of Drosophila sechellia specialization: oviposition behavior toward the major aliphatic acids of its host plant. Behav. Genet. 28:455–464. , , and .
- 2006. Evolution through genetic exchange. Oxford Univ. Press, Oxford, U.K.
- 1995. Many mates make male pipefish choosy. Behaviour 132:213–218.
- 1981. Mate selection in the fly Scatophaga stercoraria: female choice in a male-controlled system. Anim. Behav. 29:71–80.
- 1999. Effects of local density on pollination and reproduction in Delphinium nuttallianum and Aconitum columbianum (Ranunculaceae). Am. J. Bot. 86:871–879. , and .
- 2001. Experimental manipulation of plant density and its effect on pollination and reproduction of two confamilial montane herbs. Oecologia 126:76–83. , and .
- 1954. Zur kenntnis der Drosophiliden der Elfenbeinkuste (Franzosisch West-Afrika). Rev. Suisse Zool. 61:1–218.
- 1994. Genetics of reproductive isolation in the Drosophila simulans clade: complex epistasis underlying hybrid male sterility. Genetics 137:175–189. , , , and .
- 1993. Resource and pollen limitations to lifetime seed production in a natural plant population. Ecology 74:1043–1051. , and .
- 1989. Variation in pollen flow within and among populations of Ipomopsis aggregata. Evolution 43:1444–1455. , and .
- 2003. Population structure and operational sex ratio in the rock shrimp Rhynchocinetes typus (Decapoda: Caridea). J. Crustac. Biol. 23:849–861. , and .
- 1992. Genetics of sexual isolation in females of the Drosophila simulans species complex. Genet. Res. 60:25–31.
- 1996. Genetics of a difference in male cuticular hydrocarbons between two sibling species, Drosophila simulans and D. sechellia. Genetics 143:1689–1698.
- 1987. Heritability of two morphological characters within and among natural populations of Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics 117:727–737. , and .
- 1986. Evolutionary genetics of two sibling species, Drosophila simulans and D. sechellia. Evolution 40:673–691. , and .
- 2004. P. 545 in Speciation. Sinauer Associates, Sunderland, MA. , and .
- 1991. Genetics of morphological differences and hybrid sterility between Drosophila sechellia and its relatives. Genet. Res. 57:113–122. , , and .
- 2002. Sexual isolation between two sibling species with overlapping ranges: Drosophila santomea and Drosophila yakuba. Evolution 56:2424–2434. , , , , and .
- 2005. Impact of experimental design on Drosophila sexual isolation studies: direct effects and comparison to field hybridization data. Evolution 59:2588–2601. , , and .
- 2007. The historical discovery of the nine species in the Drosophila melanogaster species subgroup. Genetics 177:1969–1973. , , , and .
- 2012. Incompatibility and competitive exclusion of genomic segments between sibling Drosophila species. PLoS Genet. 8:e1002795. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Genome sequencing reveals complex speciation in the Drosophila simulans clade. Genome Res. 22:1499–1511. , , , , , , et al.
- 1994. Reproductive isolation between Florida strains of Aedes aegypti and Aedes albopictus. J. Am. Mosq. Control Assoc. 10:88–92. , and .
- 2013. Adaptive introgression in animals: examples and comparison to new mutation and standing variation as sources of adaptive variation. Mol. Ecol. 22:4606–4618.
- 2009. HH: statistical analysis and data display: Heiberger and Holland. R package version, 2-1. Available via http://CRAN.R-project.org/package=HH.
- 1994. Dominance rank, copulatory behaviour and estimated reproductive success in male reindeer. Anim. Behav. 48:929–936.
- 1996. The genetics of reproductive isolation in the Drosophila simulans clade: X vs. autosomal effects and male vs. female effects. Genetics 143:1243–1255. , and .
- 1997. Differential effects of mate competition and mate choice on eastern tiger salamanders. Anim. Behav. 53:1345–1356. , , and .
- 1998. Mate choice and mate competition influence male body size in Japanese medaka. Anim. Behav. 55:1151–1163. , , , , and .
- 1980. Sexual isolation, speciation and the direction of evolution. Evolution 34:437–444.
- 2002. Speciation by natural and sexual selection: models and experiments. Am. Nat. 159:S22–S35. , and .
- 2000. The population genetics of the origin and divergence of the Drosophila simulans complex species. Genetics 156:1913–1931. , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Exploring the consequences of postmating-prezygotic interactions between the sexes. Proc. Biol. Sci. 271:S357–S359. , , and .
- 1985. The effect of Delphinium nelsonii pollen on seed set in Ipomopsis aggregata, a competitor for hummingbird pollination. Am. J. Bot. 72:1144–1148. , and .
- 2006. Lonely hearts or sex in the city? Density-dependent effects in mating systems Philos. Trans. R. Soc. Lond., B, Biol. Sci. 361:319–334. , and .
- 2000. Evolutionary novelties in islands: Drosophila santomea, a new melanogaster sister species from São Tomé. Proc. Biol. Sci. 267:1487–1495. , , , , , and .
- 1988. Historical biogeography of the Drosophila melanogaster species subgroup. Evol. Ecol. 22:159–225. , , , , , and .
- 2012. aod: Analysis of overdispersed data. R package version 1.3. Available via http://cran.r-project.org/package=aod. , and .
- 2005a. Multilocus analysis of introgression between two sympatric sister species of Drosophila: Drosophila yakuba and D. santomea. Genetics 171:197–210. , , and .
- 2005b. An anomalous hybrid zone in Drosophila. Evolution 59:2602–2607. , , and .
- 2002. Genetics of a difference in pigmentation between Drosophila yakuba and Drosophila santomea. Evolution 56:2262–2277. , , , and .
- 1999. A quantitative genetic analysis of male sexual traits distinguishing the sibling species Drosophila simulans and D. sechellia. Genetics 153:1683–1699. , and .
- 2010. Reinforcement of Gametic Isolation in Drosophila. PLoS Biol. 8:e1000341.
- 2013. The role of founder effects on the evolution of reproductive isolation. J. Evol. Biol. 26:2299–2311.
- 2014. Hybridization occurs between Drosophila simulans and D. sechellia in the Seychelles archipelago. J. Evol. Biol. 27:1057–1068. , and .
- 2010. Intrinsic reproductive isolation between two sister species of Drosophila. Evolution 64:903–920. , and .
- 2009. Thermal adaptation and extrinsic reproductive isolation in two species of Drosophila. Evolution 63:583–594. , , and .
- 1942. P. 334in Systematics and the origin of species: from the viewpoint of a zoologist. Columbia Univ. Press. New York, NY.
- 2008. Estimation of isolation times of the island species in the Drosophila simulans complex from multilocus DNA sequence data. PLoS ONE 3:e2442. , and .
- 2009. New frontiers in competition for pollination. Ann. Bot. 103:1403–1413. , , , , and .
- 2006. The genetic basis of postzygotic reproductive isolation between Drosophila santomea and D. yakuba due to hybrid male sterility. Genetics 173:225–233. , , , , and .
- 2012. Degree of sympatry affects reinforcement in Drosophila. Evolution 67:868–872.
- 2007. A caution regarding rules of thumb for variance inflation factors. Qual. Quant. 41:673–690.
- 2003. Breeding density affects the honesty of bird vocal displays as possible indicators of male/territory quality. Ibis 145:E127–E135.
- 2005. Relative abundance and the species-specific reinforcement of male mating preference in the Chrysochus (Coleoptera: Chrysomelidae) hybrid zone. Evolution 59:2639–2655. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Character displacement: ecological and reproductive responses to a common evolutionary problem. Q. Rev. Biol. 84:253–276. , and .
- 2007. Speciation in birds. Roberts and Company, Woodbury, NY.
- 1982. Experimental studies of pollen carryover: hummingbirds and Ipomopsis aggregata. Oecologia 54:353–358. , and .
- R Development Core Team. 2005. R: A Language and Environment for Statistical Computing. Vienna, Austria: the R Foundation for Statistical Computing. ISBN: 3-900051-07-0. Available online athttp://www.R-project.org/
- 1993. Laboratory experiments on speciation: what have we learned in 40 years? Evolution 47:1637–1653. , and .
- 2007. Sexual selection and speciation. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Evol. Syst. 38:79–102.
- 2000. Estimating sexual selection and sexual isolation effects from mating frequencies. Evolution 54:30–36. , and .
- 2013. Contributions of natural and sexual selection to the evolution of premating reproductive isolation: a research agenda. Trends Ecol. Evol. 28:643–650. , , , , and .
- 2014. How common is homoploid hybrid speciation?. Evolution, 68:1553–1560. doi: 10.1111/evo.12399. , , and .
- 2003. The role of reinforcement in speciation: theory and data. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Evol. Syst. 34:339–364. , and .
- 1986. Race formation, speciation, and introgression within Drosophila simulans, D. mauritiana, and D. sechellia inferred from mitochondrial DNA analysis. Evolution 40:531–539. , and .
- 2011. Population density and group size effects on reproductive behavior in a simultaneous hermaphrodite. BMC Evol. Biol. 11:107. , , and .
- 1995. Graphical interpretation of variance inflation factors. Am. Stat. 49:53–56.
- 2004. Female rock shrimp Rhynchocinetes typus mate in rapid succession up a male dominance hierarchy. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 57:62–68. , and .
- 2001. Incipient speciation by sexual isolation in Drosophila: concurrent evolution at multiple loci. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 98:6709–6713. , , and .
- 2004. Female mate recognition and sexual isolation depending on courtship song in Drosophila sechellia and its siblings. Genes Genet. Syst. 79:145–150. , , and .
- 1981. Drosophila sechellia, N. Sp., huitième espèce du sous-groupe melanogaster des iles Seychelles (Diptera, Drosophilidae). Rev. Fr. Entomol. 3:146–150. , and .
- 2012. Opposite effects of learning cause asymmetric mate preferences in hybridizing species. Behav. Ecol. 23:1133–1139. , , and .
- 1955. Intensity of reproductive isolation between sympatric and allopatric populations of Bufo americanus and Bufo fowleri. Am. Nat. 89:303–317.
- 1979. Dual function of the damselfly penis—sperm removal and transfer. Science 203:916–918.
- 1999. Courtship disruptions and male mating strategies: examples from female-defense mating systems. Am. Nat. 154:717–729. , and .
- 2011. Encounter rates with conspecific males influence female mate choice in a naturally hybridizing fish. Behav. Ecol. 22:1234–1240. , , and .
- 2012. An indirect cue of predation risk counteracts female preference for conspecifics in a naturally hybridizing fish Xiphophorus birchmanni. PLoS ONE 7:e34802. , , and .
- 1982. Speciation and the economics of mate choice. Evol. Theory 6:15–24. , and .
- 2005. How is female mate choice affected by male competition? Biol. Rev. 80:559–571. , and .