Diet alters delayed selfing, inbreeding depression, and reproductive senescence in a freshwater snail
Version of Record online: 22 JUN 2014
© 2014 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 4, Issue 14, pages 2968–2977, July 2014
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2014; 4(14):2968–2977
- Issue online: 21 JUL 2014
- Version of Record online: 22 JUN 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 2 JUN 2014
- Manuscript Revised: 30 MAY 2014
- Manuscript Received: 22 APR 2014
- College of Arts and Sciences at West Chester University
- Department of Biology at West Chester University
- 2005. Inbreeding depression in benign and stressful environments. Heredity 95:235–242. , and .
- 2010. The effects of predation risk on mating system expression in a freshwater snail. Evolution 64:3476–3494.
- 2008. Are there interactive effects of mate availability and predation risk on life history and defense in a simultaneous hermaphrodite? J. Evol. Biol. 21:1371–1378. , and .
- 2010. Life history plasticity and inbreeding depression under mate limitation and predation risk: Cumulative lifetime fitness dissected with a life table response experiment. Evol. Ecol. 24:1171–1185. , and .
- 2014. Evaluating the contributions of change in investment and change in efficiency to age-related declines in male and female reproduction. J. Evol. Biol. , , , , , , and .
- 1996. Maternal effects in animal ecology. Amer. Zool. 36:83–105.
- 2008. Ecological models and data in R. Princeton Univ. Press, Princeton, NJ.
- 1987. Inbreeding depression and its evolutionary consequences. Ann. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 18:237–268. , and .
- 2006. Quantitative genetics of age at reproduction in wild swans: Support for antagonistic pleiotropy models of senescence. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 103:6587–6592. , , , and .
- 2011. Environment-dependent inbreeding depression: Its ecological and evolutionary significance. New Phytol. 189:395–407. , and .
- 1997. Phenotypic plasticity and selection in Drosophila life history evolution. II. Diet, mates and the cost of reproduction. J. Evol. Biol. 10:269–293. , , , , and .
- 2002. Purging the genetic load: A review of the experimental evidence. Evolution 56:2347–2358. , and .
- 2009. Completing the cycle: Maternal effects as the missing link in plant life histories. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. B 364:1059–1074.
- 2007. No correlation between inbreeding depression and delayed selfing in the freshwater snail Physa acuta. Evolution 61:2655–2670. , , , and .
- 2008. Outbreeding alleviates senescence in hermaphroditic snails as expected from the mutation-accumulation theory. Curr. Biol. 18:906–910. , , , and .
- 2009. Concerted micro-evolution of mating strategy and inbreeding depression in hermaphroditic snails. Evolution 63:2790–2804. , , , , and .
- 2011. Patterns of mating system evolution in hermaphroditic animals: Correlations among selfing rate, inbreeding depression, and the timing of reproduction. Evolution 65:1233–1253. , , , , , , et al.
- 2013. Effects of diet and host access on fecundity and lifespan in two fruit fly species with different life-history patterns. Physiol. Entomol. 38:81–88. , , , , , and .
- 2007. Marking hard-shelled gastropods: Tag loss, impact on life-history traits, and perspectives in biology. Invert. Biol. 126:138–153. , and .
- 2000. The influence of self-fertilization and grouping on fitness attributes in the freshwater snail Physa acuta: Population and individual inbreeding depression. J. Evol. Biol. 13:645–655. , , , , and .
- 1994. On the measurement of inbreeding depression. Evolution 48:1735–1741. , and .
- 2005. Food restriction, evolution and ageing. Mech. Ageing Devel. 126:1011–1016. , and .
- 1985. The evolution of self-fertilization and inbreeding depression in plants. I. Genetic models. Evolution 39:24–40. , and .
- 2008. Lifespan and reproduction in Drosophila: New insights from nutritional geometry. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 105:2498–2503. , , , , , , et al.
- 1979. Some reproductive factors affecting the selection of self-fertilization in plants. Am. Nat. 113:67–79.
- 1998. Genetics and analysis of quantitative traits. Sinauer Assoc, Inc., Sunderland, MA. , and .
- 2009. Sex differences in nutrient-dependent reproductive ageing. Aging Cell 8:324–330. , , , , , , et al.
- 1998. The adaptive significance of maternal effects. Trends Ecol. Evol. 13:403–407. , and .
- 2002. Senescence and food limitation in a slowly ageing spider. Func. Ecol. 16:734–741.
- 1986. Acquisition and allocation of resources: Their influence in variation in life-history tactics. Am. Nat. 128:137–142. , and .
- 2005. Dietary restriction, mortality trajectories, risk and damage. Mech. Ageing Devel. 126:35–61. , , and .
- 2012. Sexual selection without sexual dimorphism: Bateman gradients in a hermaphrodite. Evolution 66:66–81. , , and .
- R Core Team. 2012. R: A language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria. ISBN 3-900051-07-0, http://www.R-project.org/.
- 2012. Occurrence, costs and heritability of delayed selfing in a free-living flatworm. J. Evol. Biol. 25:2559–2568. , , and .
- 2002. Life history evolution. Sinauer Assoc, Inc., Sunderland, MA.
- 1991. Evolutionary biology of aging. Oxford Univ. Press, Oxford, U.K.
- 1995. Individual variation in inbreeding depression: The roles of inbreeding history and mutation. Genetics 141:1209–1223. , and .
- 2000. Calorie restriction and aging: A life-history analysis. Evolution 54:740–750. , and .
- 1992. The evolution of life histories. Oxford Univ. Press, Oxford, U.K.
- 2002. Anther-stigma separation is associated with inbreeding depression in Datura stramonium, a predominantly self-fertilization annual. Evolution 56:2187–2195. , and .
- 2000. An association between a floral trait and inbreeding depression. Evolution 54:840–846. , and .
- 2003a. Delayed selfing as an optimal mating strategy in preferentially outcrossing species: Theoretical analysis of the optimal age at first reproduction in relation to mate availability. Am. Nat. 162:318–331. , , and .
- 2003b. Delayed selfing and resource reallocation in relation to mate availability in the freshwater snail Physa acuta. Am. Nat. 162:474–488. , , and .
- 1999. Inbreeding depression in Campanula rapunculoides L. I. A comparison of inbreeding depression in plants derived from strong and weak self-incompatibility phenotypes. J. Evol. Biol. 12:483–494. , , and .
- 2008. Effects of stress and phenotypic variation on inbreeding depression in Brassica rapa. Evolution 62:917–931. , , and .
- 2009. Effects of juvenile and adult diet on ageing and reproductive effort of male and female black field crickets, Teleogryllus commodus. Func. Ecol. 23:602–611. , , , , and .
- 2012. Diet, sex, and death in field crickets. Ecol. Evol. 2:1627–1636. , , , and .
- 2013. Interactive effects of sex, social environment, dietary restriction, and methionine on survival and reproduction in fruit flies. Age 35:1193–1204. , , , and .