Ungulate preference for burned patches reveals strength of fire–grazing interaction
Version of Record online: 12 AUG 2011
© 2011 The Authors. MicrobiologyOpen published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited and is not used for commercial purposes.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 1, Issue 2, pages 132–144, October 2011
How to Cite
Allred, B. W., Fuhlendorf, S. D., Engle, D. M. and Elmore, R. D. (2011), Ungulate preference for burned patches reveals strength of fire–grazing interaction. Ecology and Evolution, 1: 132–144. doi: 10.1002/ece3.12
- Issue online: 13 OCT 2011
- Version of Record online: 12 AUG 2011
- Received: 19 May 2011; Revised: 29 June 2011; Accepted: 30 June 2011.
- 2006. Evolution and origin of the Central Grassland of North America: climate, fire, and mammalian grazers. J. Torrey Bot. Soc. 133:626–647.
- 2006. Soil nitrogen availability in tallgrass prairie under the fire-grazing interaction. Rangeland Ecol. Manag. 59:625–631. , , and .
- 2005 Shaping the landscape: fire-grazer interactions in an African savanna. Ecol. Appl. 15:96–109. , , , and .
- 1996. Mechanisms that result in large herbivore grazing distribution patterns. J. Range Manage. 49:386–400. , , , , , , and .
- 2010. lme4: linear mixed-effects models using S4 classes. R package version 0.999375-33. , and .
- 2010. Forage quantity, quality and depletion as scale-dependent mechanisms driving habitat selection of a large browsing herbivore. J. Anim. Ecol. 79:910–922. , , , and .
- 2008. Fire history in a Chaparral ecosystem: implications for conservation of a native ungulate. Rangeland Ecol. Manag. 61:571–579. , , , , , and .
- 2005. The global distribution of ecosystems in a world without fire. New Phytol. 165:525–537. , , and .
- 2009. Fire in the earth system. Science 324:481–484. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2002. Evaluating resource selection functions. Ecol. Modell. 157:281–300. , , , and .
- 2002. Model selection and multimodel inference: a practical information-theoretic approach. Springer, New York . , and .
- 1979. Seasonal energy expenditures and thermoregulatory responses of bison and cattle. Can. J. Anim. Sci. 59:611–617. , , and .
- 2007. Is altering grazing selectivity of invasive forage species with patch burning more effective than herbicide treatments? Rangeland Ecol. Manag. 60:253–260. , , and .
- 2007. Patch density determines movement patterns and foraging efficiency of large herbivores. Behav. Ecol. 18:1065–1072. , , , , and .
- 1985. A nutritional explanation for body-size patterns of ruminant and nonruminant herbivores. Am. Nat. 125:641–672. , and .
- 2010. Fire and the reasons for its influence on mammalian herbivore distributions in an African savanna ecosystem. Ph.D. diss. Syracuse University . Syracuse , NY .
- 2003. Foraging ecology of bison at the landscape and plant community levels: the applicability of energy maximization principles. Oecologia 134:219–227. , , , and .
- 1991. Forage quality and aggregation by large herbivores. Am. Nat. 138:478–498.
- 2001. Restoring heterogeneity on rangelands: ecosystem management based on evolutionary grazing patterns. Bioscience 51:625–632. , and .
- 2004. Application of the fire-grazing interaction to restore a shifting mosaic on tallgrass prairie. J. Appl. Ecol. 41:604–614. , and .
- 2009. Pyric herbivory: rewilding landscapes through the recoupling of fire and grazing. Conserv. Biol. 23:588–598. , , , and .
- 2006. Should heterogeneity be the basis for conservation? Grassland bird response to fire and grazing. Ecol. Appl.16:1706–1716. , , , , , and .
- 2010. Pyric-herbivory to promote rangeland heterogeneity: evidence from small mammal communities. Rangeland Ecol. Manag. 63:670–678. , , , and .
- 2007. Data analysis using regression and multilevel/hierarchical models. Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge , NY . and .
- 2006. Application of random effects to the study of resource selection by animals. J. Anim. Ecol. 75:887–898. , , , , , , , , and .
- 2010. General biology, ecology, and demographics. Pp. 39–54 in C.C. Gates , C.H. Freese , P.J.P. Gogan & M. Kotzman , eds. American bison: Status Survey and Conservation Guidelines 2010. IUCN, Gland , Switzerland . , , , and .
- 2007. Restoring heterogeneity on the Tallgrass Prairie Preserve: applying the fire–grazing interaction model. Pp. 163–169 in Proceedings of the 23rd Tall Timbers Fire Ecology Conference: Fire in Grassland and Shrubland Ecosystems. Tallahassee , FL .
- 1991. Fire and grazing in the tallgrass prairie: contingent effects on nitrogen budgets. Ecology 72:1374–1382. , , , and .
- 2005. Confronting a biome crisis: global disparities of habitat loss and protection. Ecol. Lett. 8:23–29. , , , and .
- 2008. The ecological importance of severe wildfires: some like it hot. Ecol. Appl. 18:1827–1834.
- 2002. Patch-level foraging behavior of bison and cattle on tallgrass prairie. MS thesis, Oklahoma State University , Stillwater , OK .
- 2007. Landscape heterogeneity and fire behavior: scale-dependent feedback between fire and grazing processes. Landscape Ecol. 22:507–516. , , and .
- 2011. Influence of grazing and vegetation type on post-fire flammability. J. Appl. Ecol. 48:642–649. , , and .
- 2007. Resource selection by grazing herbivores on post-fire regrowth in a West African woodland savanna. Wildlife Res. 34:77–83. , , and .
- 2003. The interacting effects of ungulates and fire on forest dynamics: an analysis using the model FORSPACE. Forest Ecol. Manag. 181:205–222. , , and .
- 2010. Variation in the effects of vertebrate grazing on fire potential between grassland structural types. J. Appl. Ecol. 47:876–883. , , and .
- 2010. Tallgrass prairie plant community dynamics along a canopy cover gradient of eastern redcedar (Juniperus virginiana L.). Rangeland Ecol. Manag. 63:638–644. , , , and .
- 1993. Quantitative effects of grazing on vegetation and soils over a global range of environments. Ecol. Monogr. 63:327–366. , and .
- 1988. A generalized model of the effects of grazing by large herbivores on grassland community structure. Am. Nat. 132:87–106. , , and .
- 1997. The effects of cutting and burning on grass quality and axis deer (Axis axis) use of grassland in lowland Nepal. J. Trop. Ecol. 13:279–292. , and .
- 2008. In search of forage: predicting dynamic habitats of Mongolian gazelles using satellite-based estimates of vegetation productivity. J. Appl. Ecol. 45:649–658. , , , , , and .
- 2007. The interdependence of fire, grass, kangaroos and Australian Aborigines: a case study from central Arnhem Land, northern Australia. J. Biogeogr. 34:237–250. , and .
- 2008. Grazing effects on vegetation composition and on the spread of fire on open sand grasslands. Arid Land Res. Manag. 22:273–285. , , , and .
- 2010. The importance of post-fire regrowth for sable antelope in a Southern African savanna. Afr. J. Ecol. 48:526–534. , and .
- 1995. Winter habitat use by large ungulates following fire in northern Yellowstone National Park. Ecol. Appl. 5:744–755. , , , and .
- R Development Core Team. 2010. R: a language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna , Austria .
- Revolution Computing. 2009. Foreach: Foreach looping construct for R. R package version 1.3.0.
- 2008. The ecological future of the North American bison: conceiving long-term, large-scale conservation of wildlife. Conserv. Biol. 22:252–266. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Temporal-spatial distribution of American bison (Bison bison) in a tallgrass prairie fire mosaic. J. Mammal. 87:539–544. , , , and .
- 1987. Large herbivore foraging and ecological hierarchies. Bioscience 37:789–799. , , , , , and .
- 2010. Allometric scaling predicts preferences for burned patches in a guild of East African grazers. Ecology 91:2898–2907. , , and .
- 1992. Mechanisms of foraging in mammalian herbivores: new models of functional response. Am. Nat. 140:325–348. , and .
- 2009. Behavioral adjustments of African herbivores to predation risk by lions: spatiotemporal variations influence habitat use. Ecology 90:23–30. , , , , , , and .
- 1999. Causes of increased nutrient concentrations in post-fire regrowth in an East African savanna. Plant and Soil 214:173–185. , , and .
- 2003. Effects of fire and herbivory on the stability of savanna ecosystems. Ecology 84:337–350. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1994. Nutritional ecology of the ruminant. Comstock Pub, Ithaca , New York .
- 2006). Grazing lawns contribute to the subsistence of mesoherbivores on dystrophic savannas. Oikos 114:108–116. , , , , and . (
- 1993. Interactive effects of fire, bison (Bison bison) grazing and plant community composition in tallgrass prairie. Am. Midl. Nat. 129:10–18. , , , and .
- 1963. Botanical and chemical changes in maturing grass and their effect on its digestibility. Agric. Prog. 38:50–56.
- 2009. doMPI: Foreach parallel adaptor for the Rmpi package. R package version 0.1-4.
- 1999. Spatial distribution of Serengeti wildebeest in relation to resources. Can. J. Zool. -Rev. Can. Zool. 77:1223–1232. , , , , and .
- 1996. Variation in use of green flushes following burns among African ungulate species: the importance of body size. Afr. J. Ecol. 34:32–38.
- 2008. Habitat quality and heterogeneity influence distribution and behavior in African buffalo (Syncerus caffer). Ecology 89:1457–1468. , , and .
- 2010. Rmpi: interface (wrapper) to MPI (message-passing interface). R package version 0.5-8.