Funded by the Marsden Fund Council and the Royal Society of New Zealand (contract 07-UOO-099).
Comparison of population-genetic structuring in congeneric kelp- versus rock-associated snails: a test of a dispersal-by-rafting hypothesis
Article first published online: 22 AUG 2011
© 2011 The Authors. MicrobiologyOpen published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited and is not used for commercial purposes.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 1, Issue 2, pages 169–180, October 2011
How to Cite
Nikula, R., Spencer, H. G. and Waters, J. M. (2011), Comparison of population-genetic structuring in congeneric kelp- versus rock-associated snails: a test of a dispersal-by-rafting hypothesis. Ecology and Evolution, 1: 169–180. doi: 10.1002/ece3.16
- Issue published online: 13 OCT 2011
- Article first published online: 22 AUG 2011
- Received: 08 May 2011; Revised: 12 July 2011; Accepted: 13 July 2011.
- 2008. Similarity in connectivity patterns for two gastropod species lacking pelagic larvae. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 357:185–194.
- 1967. Phylogenetic analysis: models and estimation procedures. Evolution 21: 550–570. , and .
- 2007. Microsatellite null alleles and estimation of population differentiation. Mol. Biol. Evol. 24:621–631. , and .
- 1996. Variability in the Southland Current, New Zealand. New Zeal. J. Mar. Freshwat. Res. 30:1–17.
- 2009. Colonisation and connectivity by intertidal limpets among New Zealand, Chatham and Sub-Antarctic Islands. II. Oceanographic connections. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 388:121–135.
- 2003. Species distribution and habitat exploitation of fauna associated with kelp (Laminaria hyperborea) along the Norwegian coast. J. Mar. Biol. Assoc. UK. 83:687–699. , , , and .
- 2005. Are life history characteristics good predictors of genetic diversity and structure? A case study of the intertidal alga Fucus spiralis (Heterokontophyta; Phaeophyceae). J. Phycol. 41:753–762. , and .
- 2009. Connectivity among fragmented populations of a habitat-forming alga, Phyllospora comosa (Phaeophyceae, Fucales) on an urbanised coast. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 381:63–70. , and .
- 2010. Asymmetric dispersal of southern bull-kelp (Durvillaea antarctica) adults in coastal New Zealand: testing an oceanographic hypothesis. Mol. Ecol. 19:4572–4580. , , , and .
- 2009. Larval dispersal and marine population connectivity. Annu. Rev. Mar. Sci. 1:443–466. , and .
- 2011. Contrasting population makeup of two intertidal gastropod species that differ in dispersal opportunities. J. Exp. Mar. Biol. Ecol. 396:224–232. , , and .
- 2005. Cladogenesis as the result of long-distance rafting events in South Pacific topshells (Gastropoda, Trochidae). Evolution 59:1701–1711. , , and .
- 2006. A GIS approach to model sediment reduction susceptibility of mixed sand and gravel beaches. Environ. Manage. 37:816–825. , and .
- 2010. Contemporary habitat discontinuity and historic glacial ice drive genetic divergence in Chilean kelp. BMC Evol. Biol. 10:203. , , , and .
- 2011. Oceanic rafting by a coastal community. Proc. Roy. Soc. Lond. Ser. B Biol. Sci. 278:649–655. , , and .
- 2010. Calculations of population differentiation based on G(ST) and D: forget G(ST) but not all of statistics! Mol. Ecol. 19:3845–3852. , , , , and .
- 2005. Isolating microsatellite DNA loci. Pp. 202–222 in Zimmer, E. A. and E. Roalson . Molecular evolution: producing the biochemical data, Part B. Academic Press, San Diego , USA . , and .
- 1976. Rough water as a spawning stimulus in some trochid and turbinid gastropods. New Zeal. J. Mar. Freshw. Res. 10:203–216.
- 1992. Reproduction and development of trochacean gastropods. Veliger 35:245–272.
- 2005. Isolation by distance, web service. BMC Genet. 6:13. , , and .
- 2008. G(ST) and its relatives do not measure differentiation. Mol. Ecol. 17:4015–4026.
- 2010. A method for detecting population genetic structure in diverse, high gene-flow species. J. Hered. 101:423–436. , , , and .
- 2003. Propagule dispersal in marine and terrestrial environments: a community perspective. Ecology 84:2007–2020. , and .
- 2010. Long-distance island hopping without dispersal stages: transportation across major zoogeographic barriers in a Southern Ocean isopod. Naturwissenschaften 97:583–594. , , and .
- 2008. Drift macroalgae as a potential dispersal mechanism for the white abalone Haliotis sorenseni . Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 362:225–232. , , , and .
- 2011. Assessing population structure: F-ST and related measures. Mol. Ecol. Res. 11:5–18. , and .
- 2008. The influence of coastal topography, circulation patterns, and rafting in structuring populations of an intertidal alga. Mol. Ecol. 17:1198–1210. , , , , and .
- 2010. Circumpolar dispersal by rafting in two subantarctic kelp-dwelling crustaceans. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 405:221–230. , , , and .
- 1993. DISPAN: genetic distance and phylogenetic analysis. Pennsylvania State University, PA , USA . Available at http://www.downloadplex.com/Windows/Graphic-Apps/CAD/Download-dispan_305902.html.
- 2006. GENALEX 6: genetic analysis in Excel. Population genetic software for teaching and research. Mol. Ecol. Notes 6:288–295. , and .
- 2000. Rapid and efficient identification of microsatellite loci from the sea urchin. Evechinus chloroticus. Mol. Ecol. 9:2221–2223. , and .
- 2000. Inference of population structure using multilocus genotype data. Genetics 155:945–959. , , and .
- 2005. Biology of plants. 7th ed. W. H. Freeman and Company, New York . , , and .
- R Development Core Team. 2010. R: a language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna , Austria . Available at http://www.R-project.org.
- 2009. Systematics and phylogeny of a new cryptic species of Diloma Philippi (Mollusca: Gastropoda: Trochidae) from a novel habitat, the bull kelp holdfast communities of southern New Zealand. Invertebr. Syst. 23:19–25. , , and .
- 1974. Reproductive cycles and geographical distribution of some common Eastern Australian prosobranchs (Mollusca-Gastropoda). Aust. J. Mar. Freshwat. Res. 25:63–88.
- 2007. Primer3Plus, an enhanced web interface to Primer3. Nucleic Acids Res. 35:W71–W74. , , , , , and .
- 2004. MICRO-CHECKER: software for identifying and correcting genotyping errors in microsatellite data. Mol. Ecol. Notes 4:535–538. , , , and .
- 1991. Chelex-100 as a medium for simple extraction of DNA for PCR-based typing from forensic material. Biotechniques 10:506–513. , , and .
- 1996. Genetic data analysis II. Sinauer Associates, Sunderland , MA .
- 2009. Assessing species richness of macrofauna associated with macroalgae in Arctic kelp forests (Hornsund, Svalbard). Polar Biol. 32:897–905. , , , , and .
- 2008. Effects of intermediate host genetic background on parasite transmission dynamics: a case study using Schistosoma mansoni . Exp. Parasitol. 120:57–61. , , and .