Funded by the Australian Research Council, the National Science Foundation (grant #0424688 and #0928442), and the TOTAL Foundation.
Persistence of self-recruitment and patterns of larval connectivity in a marine protected area network
Version of Record online: 10 FEB 2012
© 2011 The Authors. MicrobiologyOpen published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited and is not used for commercial purposes.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 2, Issue 2, pages 444–452, February 2012
How to Cite
Berumen, M. L., Almany, G. R., Planes, S., Jones, G. P., Saenz-Agudelo, P. and Thorrold, S. R. (2012), Persistence of self-recruitment and patterns of larval connectivity in a marine protected area network. Ecology and Evolution, 2: 444–452. doi: 10.1002/ece3.208
- Issue online: 20 FEB 2012
- Version of Record online: 10 FEB 2012
- Received: 19 October 2011; Accepted: 28 December 2011
- 2007. Local replenishment of coral reef fish populations in a marine reserve. Science 316:742–744. , , , , and .
- 2009a. Connectivity, biodiversity conservation and the design of marine reserve networks for coral reefs. Coral Reefs 28:339–351. , , , , , , , , and .
- 2009b. Permanent genetic resources added to molecular ecology resources database 1 May 2009–31 July 2009. Mol. Ecol. Res. 9:1460–1466. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. External tagging does not affect the feeding behavior of a coral reef fish, Chaetodon vagabundus (Pisces: Chaetodontidae). Environ. Biol. Fishes 86:447–450. , and .
- 2010. Otolith geochemistry does not reflect dispersal history of clownfish larvae. Coral Reefs 29:883–891. , , , , , , and .
- 2009. Measuring connectivity and estimating resilience of coral reef metapopulations in MPAs: matching empirical efforts to modelling needs. Coral Reefs 28:327–337. , , , , , , , and .
- 2000. Profile of the marine aquarium fish trade in Hong Kong. Aquarium Sci. Conserv. 2:197–213. , and .
- 2010a. Larval connectivity in an effective network of marine protected areas. PLoS One 5:e15715. , , , , , , , and .
- 2010b. Self-recruitment and sweepstakes reproduction amid extensive gene flow in a coral-reef fish. Mol. Ecol. 19:1042–1057. , , , and .
- 2009. Larval dispersal and marine population connectivity. Ann. Rev. Mar. Sci. 1:443–466. , and .
- 2006. Scaling of connectivity in marine populations. Science 311:522–527. , , and .
- 2008. Coral reef fish smell leaves to find island homes. Proc. R. Soc. B. 275:2831–2839. , , , , , , , and .
- 2008. Otolith chemistry to describe movements and life-history parameters of fishes: hypotheses, assumptions, limitations and inferences. Oceanogr. Mar. Biol. Ann. Rev. 46:297–330. , , , , , , , , and .
- 2000. Development of swimming abilities in reef fish larvae. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 202:163–173. , , and .
- 1979. Mating system, resource defence and sex change in the anemonefish Amphiprion akallopisos . Z. Tierpsychol. 50:313–326. .
- 2010. Designing marine reserve networks for both conservation and fisheries management. Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 107:18286–18293. , , , and .
- 2003. FAMOZ: a software for parentage analysis using dominant, codominant and uniparentally inherited markers. Mol. Ecol. Notes 3:479–481. , , and .
- 2009. Designing a resilient network of marine protected areas for Kimbe Bay, Papua New Guinea. Oryx 43:488–498. , , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2006. Persistence of spatial populations depends on returning home. Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 103:6067–6072. , and .
- 1999. Self-recruitment in a coral reef fish population. Nature 402:802–804. , , , and .
- 2005. Coral reef fish larvae settle close to home. Curr. Biol. 15:1314–1318. , , and .
- 2007. Population connectivity and conservation of marine biodiversity. Oceanography 20:42–53. , , and .
- 2009. Model-based assessment of persistence in proposed marine protected area designs. Ecol. Appl. 19:433–448. , , , , and .
- 2006. Recent progress in understanding larval dispersal: new directions and digressions. Integr. Comp. Biol. 46:282–297. .
- 2007. Toward pristine biomass: reef fish recovery in coral reef marine protected areas in Kenya. Ecol. Appl. 17:1055–1067. , , , and .
- 2009. Management under uncertainty: guide-lines for incorporating connectivity into the protection of coral reefs. Coral Reefs 28:353–366. , , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2010. Adaptive management of the Great Barrier Reef: a globally significant demonstration of the benefits of networks of marine reserves. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 107:18278–18285. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1987. Estimating total abundance of a large temperate-reef fish using visual strip-transects. Mar. Biol. 96:469–478. , and .
- 1986. Growth of the anemonefish Amphiprion clarkii in temperate waters, with special reference to the influence of settling time on the growth of 0-year olds. Mar. Biol. 92:223–229. .
- 2003. Population genetics, demographic connectivity, and the design of marine reserves. Ecol. Appl. 13:S146–S158. .
- 2007. Surfing, spinning, or diving from reef to reef: effects on population connectivity. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 347:285–300. , , and .
- 2010. Detecting larval export from marine reserves. Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 107:18266–18271. , , , and .
- 2009. Larval dispersal connects fish populations in a network of marine protected areas. Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 106:5693–5697. , , and .
- 2008. Habitat associations of juvenile versus adult butterflyfishes. Coral Reefs 27:541–551. , , , , and .
- 2011. Effects of geography and life history traits on genetic differentiation in benthic marine fishes. Ecography 34:566–575. , , , , and .
- 1995. Rapid buildup of fish biomass in a Caribbean marine reserve. Conserv. Biol. 9:815–826. .
- 2001. Effects of marine reserves on adjacent fisheries. Science 294:1920–1923. , , , , and .
- 2002. Yet another review of marine reserves as reef fishery management tools. Pp. 421–443 in P. F. Sale , ed. Coral reef fishes: dynamics and diversity in a complex ecosystem. Academic Press, San Diego , California , USA . .
- 2008. Rapid increase in fish numbers follows creation of world's largest marine reserve network. Curr. Biol. 18:R514–R515. , , , , , , , and .
- 2009. Estimating connectivity in marine populations: an empirical evaluation of assignment tests and parentage analysis under different gene flow scenarios. Mol. Ecol. 18:1765–1776. , , , and .
- 2011. Connectivity dominates larval replenishment in a coastal reef fish metapopulation. Proc. R. Soc. B. 278:2954–2961. , , , and .
- 2006. Extending breeding and recruitment periods of fishes on a low latitude coral reef. Coral Reefs 25:673–682. , and .
- 2006. Currents in the Bismarck Sea and Kimbe Bay, Papua New Guinea. Australian Institute of Marine Science and The Nature Conservancy. TNC Pacific Island Countries Report 6/06 (The Nature Conservancy, Brisbane). , , , , and .
- 1992. Pair territory and diurnal migration of the vagabond butterflyfish Chaetodon vagabundus . Galaxea 11:66. .
- 2002. Quantifying larval retention and connectivity in marine populations with artificial and natural markers. Bull. Mar. Sci. 70:291–308. , , , , , , , and .
- 2006. Transgenerational marking of embryonic otoliths in marine fishes using barium stable isotopes. Can J. Fish Aquat. Sci. 63:1193–1197. , , , and .
- 2007. Population connectivity and larval dispersal using geochemical signatures in calcified structures. Oceanography 20:80–89. , , and .
- 2009. Population genetics, larval dispersal, and connectivity in marine systems. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 393:1–12. , and .