Funded by Yamada Research Grant, The Sumitomo Foundation, Mitsui & Co., Ltd. Environment Fund, Research and development projects for application in promoting new policy of agriculture forestry and fisheries, and Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research from JSPS to TK. A part of this work was also supported by a grant from Promotion of Basic Research Activities for Innovative Biosciences (PRO-BRAIN) to MY.
The habitat disruption induces immune-suppression and oxidative stress in honey bees
Version of Record online: 8 SEP 2011
© 2011 The Authors. MicrobiologyOpen published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited and is not used for commercial purposes.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 1, Issue 2, pages 201–217, October 2011
How to Cite
Morimoto, T., Kojima, Y., Toki, T., Komeda, Y., Yoshiyama, M., Kimura, K., Nirasawa, K. and Kadowaki, T. (2011), The habitat disruption induces immune-suppression and oxidative stress in honey bees. Ecology and Evolution, 1: 201–217. doi: 10.1002/ece3.21
- Issue online: 13 OCT 2011
- Version of Record online: 8 SEP 2011
- Received: 06 July 2011; Revised: 23 July 2011; Accepted: 28 July 2011
- 2008. Long-term global trends in crop yield and production reveal no current pollination shortage but increasing pollinator dependency. Curr. Biol. 18:572–1575. , , , and .
- 2009. How much does agriculture depend on pollinators? Lessons from long-term trends in crop production. Ann. Bot. 103:1579–1588. , , , and .
- 2009. The global stock of domesticated honey bees is growing slower than agricultural demand for pollination. Curr. Biol. 19:915–918. ,, and .
- 2008. Valuing insect pollination services with cost of replacement. PLoS One 3:e3128. , , and .
- 2009. Immune suppression in the honey bee (Apis mellifera) following infection by Nosema ceranae (Microsporidia). Environ. Microbiol. 11:2284–2290. , , , , , and .
- 1994. Thioredoxin-dependent peroxide reductase from yeast. J. Biol. Chem. 269:27670–27678. , , and .
- 2009. Asymmetrical coexistence of Nosema ceranae and Nosema apis in honey bees. J. Invertebr. Pathol. 101:204–209. , , , , , , , and .
- 2006. A deficit of detoxification enzymes: pesticide sensitivity and environmental response in the honey bee. Insect Mol. Biol. 15:615–636. , , , , , , , and .
- 2005. Gene expression patterns associated with queen honey bee longevity. Mec. Ageing Dev. 126:1230–1238. , , , and .
- 2006. Genes of the antioxidant system of the honey bee: annotation and phylogeny. Insect Mol. Biol. 15, 687–701. ,, and .
- 2007. Vitellogenin, juvenile hormone, insulin signaling, and queen honey bee longevity. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 104:7128–7133. , , , , , , and .
- 2002. A single p450 allele associated with insecticide resistance in Drosophila . Science 297:2253–2256. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Recent findings on phenoloxidase activity and antimicrobial activity of hemocyanins. Dev. Comp. Immunol. 28:673–687. , and .
- 2006. Immune pathways and defence mechanisms in honey bees Apis mellifera . Insect Mol. Biol. 15:645–665. , , , , , , , , , and .
- 1984. Nosema apis, sampling techniques and honey yield. J. Apic. Res. 23:102–105. , , and .
- 1997. Biological mediators of insect immunity. Ann. Rev. Entomol. 42:611–643. , , and .
- 2006. Aging and the ubiquitinome: traditional and non-traditional functions of ubiquitin in aging cells and tissues. Exp. Gerontol. 41:1067–1079. , , and .
- 2005. Glutathione transferases. Ann. Rev. Pharmacol. Toxicol. 45:51–88. , , and .
- 2008. How natural infection by Nosema ceranae causes honey bee colony collapse. Environ. Microbiol. 10:2659–2669. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1989. Thioredoxin and glutaredoxin systems. J. Biol. Chem. 264:13963–13966.
- honey bee Genome Sequencing Consortium. 2006. Insights into social insects from the genome of the honey bee Apis mellifera . Nature 443:931–949.
- 2003. Pathways of oxidative damage. Ann. Rev. Microbiol. 57:395–418.
- 2003. Exploration, normalization, and summaries of high density oligonucleotide array probe level data. Biostatistics 4:249–264. , , , , , , and .
- 2001. Cytochrome P450s CYP6D3 and CYP6D1 are part of a P450 gene cluster on autosome 1 in the house fly. Insect Mol. Biol. 10:191–196. , and .
- 2007. Importance of pollinators in changing landscapes for world crops. Proc. R. Soc. B 274:303–313. , , , , , , and .
- 2010. Honey bee thermal/chemical sensor, AmHsTRPA, reveals neofunctionalization and loss of Transient Receptor Potential channel genes. J. Neurosci. 30:12219–12229. , , , and .
- 1990. Determination of carbonyl content in oxidatively modified proteins. Methods Enzymol. 186:464–478. , , , , , , , , and .
- 1999. Alteration in FAD-glucose dehydrogenase activity and hemocyte behavior contribute to initial disruption of Manduca sexta immune response to Cotesia congregata parasitoids. J. Insect Physiol. 45:1037–1048. ,, and .
- 2004. GOToolBox: functional analysis of gene datasets based on Gene Ontology. Genome Biol. 5:R101. , , , , , and .
- 2010. Pathophysiological significance of senescence marker protein-30. Geriatr. Gerontol. Int. 10(Suppl. 1):S88–S98. , , and .
- 2010. The curious case of aging plasticity in honey bees. FEBS Lett. 584:2496–2503. , .
- 2011. Neurogenomic signatures of spatiotemporal memories in time-trained forager honey bees. J. Exp. Biol. 214:979–987. , , , , , , , and .
- 2003. An adult-specific CYP6 P450 gene is overexpressed in a pyrethroid-resistant strain of the malaria vector, Anopheles gambiae. Gene 318:91–102. , , and .
- 2001. Reactive oxygen species, antioxidants, and the mammalian thioredoxin system. Free Radic. Biol. Med. 31:1287–1312. , .
- 1993. Non-Apis bees as crop pollinators. Revue suisse de zoologie 100:807–822.
- 2009. Fenton chemistry and oxidative stress mediate the toxicity of the beta-amyloid peptide in a Drosophila model of Alzheimer's disease. Eur. J. Neurosci. 29:1335–1347. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Molecular analysis of CYP321A1, a novel cytochrome P450 involved in metabolism of plant allelochemicals (furanocoumarins). and insecticides (cypermethrin) in Helicoverpa zea . Gene 338:163–175. , , , and .
- 2006a. Cellular senescence in honey bee brain is largely independent of chronological age. Exp. Gerontol. 41:1117–1125. , , and .
- 2006b. Reproductive protein protects functionally sterile honey bee workers from oxidative stress. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 103:962–967. , , , , .
- 2004. Linear models and empirical bayes methods for assessing differential expression in microarray experiments. Stat. Appl. Genet. Mol. Biol. 3, Article 3.
- 1991. Metal-catalyzed oxidation of proteins. Physiological consequences. J. Biol. Chem. 266:2005–2008. ,, and .
- 2010. A historical review of managed honey bee populations in Europe and the United States and the factors that may affect them. J. Invertebrate Pathol. 103(Suppl. 1):S80–95. , and .
- 2010. Colony collapse disorder in context. Bioessays 32:845–846. , , , , , , , , , and .
- 1996. Aspects of bee diversity and crop pollination in the European Union. Pp. 63–80 in A. Matheson , S. L. Buchmann , C. O’Toole , P. Westrich , and I. H. Williams , eds. The conservation of bees. Academic Press, New York , NY .
- 2005. Impact of an ectoparasite on the immunity and pathology of an invertebrate: evidence for host immunosuppression and viral amplification. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U. S. A. 102:7470–7475. , and .