Funded by UT Undergraduate Research Office (Summer Research Internship to L. B.) UT Science Alliance Program (Junior Directed Research and Development to A. T. C.) American Fellowship from AAUW (to L. S.).
Within and between population variation in plant traits predicts ecosystem functions associated with a dominant plant species
Article first published online: 3 MAY 2012
© 2011 The Authors. MicrobiologyOpen published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited and is not used for commercial purposes.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 2, Issue 6, pages 1151–1161, June 2012
How to Cite
Breza, L. C., Souza, L., Sanders, N. J. and Classen, A. T. (2012), Within and between population variation in plant traits predicts ecosystem functions associated with a dominant plant species. Ecology and Evolution, 2: 1151–1161. doi: 10.1002/ece3.223
- Issue published online: 12 JUN 2012
- Article first published online: 3 MAY 2012
- Received: 22 November 2011; Revised: 24 January 2012; Accepted: 6 February 2012
- 1973. Growth and reproductive effort in goldenrods (Solidago, compositae). Am. Nat. 107:651–661. , and .
- 1986. Nutrient and biomass allocation in Solidago altissima—effects of 2 stem gallmakers, fertilization, and ramet isolation. Oecologia 68:174–180. , and .
- 1997. Evolutionary ecology across three trophic levels: goldenrods, gallmakers, and natural enemies, Princeton Univ. Press, New Jersey . , and .
- 2005. Ecological divergence among five co-occurring species of old-field goldenrods. Plant Ecol.177:43–56. , , , and .
- 2011. Do species’ traits predict recent shifts at expanding range edges? Ecol. Lett.14:677–689. , , , , and .
- 2003. A large daylight geodesic dome for quantification of whole-ecosystem CO2 and water vapour fluxes in arid shrublands. J. Arid. Environ. 55:629–643. , and .
- 2008. Breathing of the terrestrial biosphere: lessons learned from a global network of carbon dioxide flux measurement systems. Aust. J. Bot. 56:1–26.
- 2006. CO/FT regulatory module controls timing of flowering and seasonal growth cessation in trees. Science 312:1040–1043. , , , , , , and .
- 2003. Effects of genetic impoverishment on plant community diversity. J. Ecol. 91L:721–730. , and .
- 2000. Regional changes in carbon dioxide fluxes of land and oceans since 1980. Science 290:1342–1346. , , , , , and .
- 2008. Irrigation and fertilization effects on seed number, size, germination and seedling growth: implications for desert shrub establishment. Oecologia 157:13–19. , and
- 2010. Why does phenology drive species distribution? Philos. Transac. R. Soc. B Biol. Sci. 365:3149–3160.
- 2006. Impacts of herbivorous insects on decomposer communities during the early stages of primary succession in a semi-arid woodland. Soil Biol. Biochem. 38:972–982. , , , , , and .
- 1990. Countergradient variation in growth-rate—compensation for length of the growing-season among altantic silversides latitudes. Oecologia 83:316–324. , and .
- 2006. Plant genotypic diversity predicts community structure and governs an ecosystem process. Science 313:966–968. , , , , , and .
- 2008. Intraspecific diversity and dominant genotypes resist plant invasions. Ecol. Lett.11:16–23. , , and .
- 2011. Impact of land use intensity and temperature on the reproductive performance of Dactylis glomerata populations in the southeastern Alps. Plant Ecol. 212:651–661.
- 2011. Temperature effects on forest herbs assessed by warming and transplant experiments along a latitudinal gradient. Glob. Change Biol. 17:3240–3253. , , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 2011. Forest annual carbon cost: comment. Ecology 92:1994–1998.
- 1999. Allometric scaling of production and life-history variation in vascular plants. Nature 401:907–911. , , , and .
- 1991. Costs of reproduction in a willow—experimental responses vs natural variation. Ecology 72:1013–1023. , and .
- 2010. Community and ecosystem effects of intraspecific genetic diversity in grassland microcosms of varying species diversity. Ecology 91:2272–2283. , and .
- 2010. Non-additive effects of genotypic diversity increase floral abundance and abundance of floral visitors. PLoS One 5:1. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0008711 , , , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2010. Productivity, respiration, and light-response parameters of world grassland and agroecosystems derived from flux-tower measurements. Rangeland Ecol. Manag. 63:16–39. , , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 2002. Towards robust regional estimates of CO2 sources and sinks using atmospheric transport models. Nature 415:626–630. , , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 2007. Adaptive population differentiation in phenology across a latitudinal gradient in European Aspen (Populus tremula, L.): a comparison of neutral markers, candidate genes and phenotypic traits. Evolution 61:2849–2860. , , , , , and .
- 2010. Small-scale variation in ecosystem CO2 fluxes in an alpine meadow depends on plant biomass and species richness. J. Plant Res. 123:531–541. , , , , , , and .
- 2005. Effects of biodiversity on ecosystem functioning: a consensus of current knowledge. Ecol. Monogr. 75:3–35. , , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 1991. The effects of seed weight on growth and competitive ability of rumex acetosella from 2 successional old fields. Oecologia 86:236–242. , and .
- 2008. Ecological consequences of genetic diversity. Ecol. Lett. 11:609–623. , , , , and .
- 1997. Hidden treatments in ecological experiments: re-evaluating the ecosystem function of biodiversity. Oecologia 110:449–460.
- 2009. The global distribution of net primary production: resolving the paradox. Ecol. Monogr. 79:343–377. , and
- 2004a. Convergence across biomes to a common rain-use efficiency. Nature 429:651–654. , , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 2004b. Precipitation pulses and carbon fluxes in semiarid and arid ecosystems. Oecologia 141:254–268. , , , , , , , , and
- 2007. Seasonal and interannual variability of carbon dioxide and water balances of a grassland. Clim. Change 82:163–177. , , and .
- 2003. Europe's terrestrial biosphere absorbs 7 to 12% of European anthropogenic CO2 emissions. Science 300:1538–1542. , , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 2001. Carbon balance gradient in European forests: should we doubt “surprising” results? A reply to Piovesan & Adams. J. Veg. Sci. 12:145–150. , , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 2006. Additive and interactive effects of plant genotypic diversity on arthropod communities and plant fitness. Ecol. Lett. 9:24–34. , , and .
- 2008. Spatial variability and major controlling factors of CO2 sink strength in Asian terrestrial ecosystems: evidence from eddy covariance data. Glob. Change Biol. 14:2333–2348. , and .
- N. P. P. M. I. Participants Potsdam. 1999. Comparing global models of terrestrial net primary productivity (NPP): global pattern and differentiation by major biomes. Glob. Change Biol. 5:16–24. , , , , , and
- 2009. Using functional traits to predict grassland ecosystem change: a mathematical test of the response-and-effect trait approach. Glob. Change Biol. 15:2921–2934. , and .
- 2007. Negative correlation does not imply a tradeoff between growth and reproduction in California oaks. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 104L:16982–16985. , , and .
- 2009. No trade-off between seed size and number in the valley oak Quercus lobata. Am. Nat. 173:682–688. , , , and .
- 2005. Sexual reproduction of the high mountain plant Saxifraga moschata Wulfen at varying lengths of the growing season. Flora 200:502–515. , and .
- 2005. Net ecosystem carbon dioxide exchange over grazed steppe in central Mongolia. Glob. Change Biol. 11:1941–1955. , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2009. Intra- and interspecific performance in growth and reproduction increase with altitude: a case study with two Saxifraga species from northern Spain. Funct. Ecol. 23:111–118. , , , and .
- 2000. Net primary production, carbon storage and climate change in Chinese biomes. Nord. J. Bot. 20:415–426.
- 1998. Growth and physiology of Picea abies populations from elevational transects: common garden evidence for altitudinal ecotypes and cold adaptation. Funct. Ecol. 12:573–590. , , , , , and .
- 1999. Differential above- and below-ground biomass accumulation of European Pinus sylvestris populations in a 12-year-old provenance experiment. Scand. J. Forest Res. 14:7–17. , , , and .
- 2000. Variation in aboveground net primary production of diverse European Pinus sylvestris populations. Trees-Struct. Funct. 14:415–421. , , , , and .
- 2007. Effects of an increase in summer precipitation on leaf, soil, and ecosystem fluxes of CO2 and H2O in a sotol grassland in Big Bend National Park, Texas. Oecologia 151:704–718. , , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 2011. Six-year stable annual uptake of carbon dioxide in intensively managed humid temperate grassland. Ecosystems 14:112–126. , , and .
- 2006. Resilience and resistance of ecosystem functional response to a precipitation pulse in a semi-arid grassland. J. Ecol. 94:23–30. , , , , and .
- 2010. Diurnal and seasonal patterns in ecosystem CO2 fluxes and their controls in a temperate grassland. Rangeland Ecol. Manag. 63:62–71. , and .
- 1992. The evolution of life histories: theory and analysis, Chapman and Hall, New York .
- 2001. Estimations of global terrestrial productivity: converging toward a single number? Academic Press, San Diego , CA . , , and .
- 2003. Top predator control of plant biodiversity and productivity in an old-field ecosystem. Ecol. Lett. 6:156–163.
- 2008. Effects of predator hunting mode on grassland ecosystem function. Science 319:952–954.
- 1995. Maternal phenotypic effects due to soil nutrient levels and sink removal in Arabidopsis thaliana (Brassicaceae). Am. J. Bot. 82:491–495. , and .
- 2011a. Similar biotic factors affect early establishment and abundance of an invasive plant species across spatial scales. Biol. Invasions 13:255–267. , , , and .
- 2011b. Differential effects of two dominant plant species on community structure and invasibility in an old-field ecosystem. J. Plant Ecol. UK 4:123–131. , , and .
- 1991. Plant traits and resource reduction for 5 grasses growing on a nitrogen gradient. Ecology 72:685–700. , and .
- 2001. Diversity and productivity in a long-term grassland experiment. Science 294:843–845. , , , , , and .
- 2002. Reproduction and offspring competitiveness of Senna obtusifolia are influenced by nutrient availability. New Phytol.154:661–669. , , and .
- 2000. Respiration as the main determinant of carbon balance in European forests. Nature 404:861–865. , , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 2004. Estimates of CO2 uptake and release among European forests based on eddy covariance data. Glob. Change Biol. 10:1445–1459. , and .
- 2004. Net ecosystem carbon exchange in two experimental grassland ecosystems. Glob. Change Biol. 10:498–508. , , , , , , , , and .
- 1999. Is “sampling effect” a problem for experiments investigating biodiversity-ecosystem function relationships? Oikos 87:403–407.
- 2006. A framework for community and ecosystem genetics: from genes to ecosystems. Nat. Rev. Genet. 7:510–523. , , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 2004. Realistically low species evenness does not alter grassland species-richness-productivity relationships. Ecology 85:2693–2700. , and .
- 2008. Ducking as a means of resitance to herbivory in tall goldenrod, Solidago altissima. Ecology 89:3275–3281. , and .
- 2009. Latitudinal patterns of magnitude and interannual variability in net ecosystem exchange regulated by biological and environmental variables. Glob. Change Biol. 15:2905–2920. , , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 2011. Upscaling carbon fluxes over the Great Plains grasslands: sinks and sources. J. Geophys. Res.-Biogeosci. 116. doi: 10.1029/2010JG001504 , , , , , and .