Ecology and Evolution 2012; 2(5): 941–951
Adaptation to larval crowding in Drosophila ananassae leads to the evolution of population stability
Version of Record online: 8 APR 2012
© 2011 The Authors. MicrobiologyOpen published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited and is not used for commercial purposes.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 2, Issue 5, pages 941–951, May 2012
How to Cite
Dey, S., Bose, J. and Joshi, A. (2012), Adaptation to larval crowding in Drosophila ananassae leads to the evolution of population stability. Ecology and Evolution, 2: 941–951. doi: 10.1002/ece3.227
- Issue online: 10 MAY 2012
- Version of Record online: 8 APR 2012
- Received: 14 October 2011; Revised: 13 January 2012; Accepted: 24 January 2012
- 2010. The genetic architecture of fitness-related traits in populations of three species of Drosophila subjected to selection for adaptation to larval crowding. Ph.D. thesis, Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research , Bangalore , India .
- 1983. Density-dependent selection incorporating intraspecific competition. II. A diploid model. Genetics 103:335–350.
- 1989. Are ecological systems chaotic – and if not, why not? Trends Ecol. Evol. 4:26–28. , and .
- 1993. Phenotypic plasticity and selection and Drosophila life-history evolution. I. Nutrition and the cost of reproduction. J. Evol. Biol. 6:171–193. , , , and .
- 1972. Density-dependent selection. Am. Nat. 106:1–13.
- 2006. Stability via asynchrony in Drosophila metapopulations with low migration rates. Science 312:434–436. , and .
- 2008. Laboratory evolution of population stability in Drosophila: constancy and persistence do not necessarily coevolve. J. Anim. Ecol. 77:670–677. , , , and .
- 1996. Evolution of stable population dynamics through natural selection. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 263:1145–1151. , , , and .
- 1970. Life-historical consequences of natural selection. Am. Nat. 104:1–24. , and .
- 1996. A hypothesis regarding the abruptness of density-dependence and the growth rate of populations. Ecology 77:2014–2026.
- 1997. Babel, or the ecological stability discussions: an inventory and analysis of terminology and a guide for avoiding confusion. Oecologia 109:323–334. , and .
- 1992. Evolution of stability parameters in single-species population models: stability or chaos? Theor. Pop. Biol. 42:199–217.
- 1975. Density-dependence in single species populations. J. Anim. Ecol. 44:283–295.
- 1976. Pattern of dynamical behaviour in single species populations. J. Anim. Ecol. 45:471–486. , , and .
- 1988. Evolution of higher feeding rate in Drosophila due to density-dependent natural selection. Evolution 42:1090–1092. , and .
- 1996. Density-dependent natural selection in Drosophila, trade-offs between larval food acquisition and utilization. Evol. Ecol. 10:463–474. , and .
- 2001. K-selection, α-selection, effectiveness, and tolerance in competition: density-dependent selection revisited. J. Genet. 80:63–75. , , and .
- 2003. The contribution of ancestry, chance, and past and ongoing selection to adaptive evolution. J. Genet. 82:147–162. , , and .
- 1962. Some generalized theorems of natural selection. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 48:1893–1897.
- 1967. The theory of island biogeography. Princeton Univ. Press, Princeton , NJ . , and .
- 1974. Biological populations with non-overlapping generations: stable points, stable cycles and chaos. Science 186:645–647.
- 1976. Bifurcations and complexity in simple ecological models. Am. Nat. 110:573–599. , and .
- 1988. Density-dependent population growth and natural selection in food limited environments: the Drosophila model. Am. Nat. 132:786–809.
- 1990. Density-dependent natural selection does not increase efficiency. Evol. Ecol. 4:290–297.
- 2009. Fitness, demography and population dynamics in laboratory experiments. Pp. 197–216 in T. Garland Jr. and M. R. Rose, eds. Experimental evolution: concepts, methods and applications of selection experiments. Univ. of California Press, Berkeley , CA .
- 1981a. Trade-off between r-selection and K-selection in Drosophila populations. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 78:1303–1305. , and .
- 1981b. Dynamics of single species population growth: stability or chaos? Ecology 62:1148–1154. , and .
- 1994. Ecological determinants of stability in model populations. Ecology 75:430–437. , and .
- 2000. Stability in model populations. Princeton Univ. Press, Princeton , NJ . , and .
- 2000. Does population stability evolve? Ecology 81:1273–1285. , , and .
- 1957. The self-adjustment of populations to change. Cold Spr. Harb. Symp. Quant. Biol. 22:153–173.
- 2003. What have two decades of laboratory life-history evolution studies on Drosophila melanogaster taught us? J. Genet. 82:45–76. , and .
- 2000. Evolution of reduced pre-adult viability and larval growth rate in laboratory populations of Drosophila melanogaster selected for shorter development time. Genet. Res. 76:249–259. , , , , , and .
- 2001. Correlated responses to selection for faster development and early reproduction in Drosophila: the evolution of larval traits. Evolution 55:1363–1372. , , , , and .
- 2003. The evolution of population stability as a by-product of life-history evolution. Biol. Lett. 270:S84–S86. , , , and .
- 1985. Competition among immatures affects their fertility: population dynamics. Am. Nat. 126:521–558. , and
- 1954. Stock and recruitment. J. Fish. Res. BoardCan. 11:559–623.
- 1971. Density-dependent natural selection. Ecology 52:453–468.
- 2005. Faster development does not lead to correlated evolution of greater pre-adult competitive ability in Drosophila melanogaster. Biol. Lett. 1:91–94. , , , , , and .
- 2007. Variation and covariation in life-history related traits in some species of Drosophila. Ph.D. thesis, Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research , Bangalore , India .
- 1998. A test of simple models of population growth using data from very small populations of Drosophila melanogaster. Curr. Sci. 75:1406–1410. , and .
- 1996. The symmetry of correlated responses in adaptive evolution: an experimental study using Drosophila. Evolution 51:163–172. , , , , and .
- StatSoft. 1995. Statistica Vol. I: general conventions and statistics 1. StatSoft Inc., Tulsa , OK .
- 1988. Parameter evolution in a laboratory insect population. Theor. Popul. Biol. 34:248–265. , , , and .
- 1980. Chaos, asymmetric growth and group selection for dynamical stability. Ecology 61:1312–1320. , , and .
- 1980. Density-dependent selection in a random environment: an evolutionary process that can maintain stable population dynamics. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 77:7501–7505. , and