Funded by the German Science Foundation (DFG).
Population genetic dynamics of three-spined sticklebacks (Gasterosteus aculeatus) in anthropogenic altered habitats
Article first published online: 1 MAY 2012
© 2011 The Authors. MicrobiologyOpen published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited and is not used for commercial purposes.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 2, Issue 6, pages 1122–1143, June 2012
How to Cite
Scharsack, J. P., Schweyen, H., Schmidt, A. M., Dittmar, J., Reusch, T. B.H. and Kurtz, J. (2012), Population genetic dynamics of three-spined sticklebacks (Gasterosteus aculeatus) in anthropogenic altered habitats. Ecology and Evolution, 2: 1122–1143. doi: 10.1002/ece3.232
- Issue published online: 12 JUN 2012
- Article first published online: 1 MAY 2012
- Received: 3 January 2012; Accepted: 18 January 2012
- 2005. Life-history differentiation of benthic and limnetic ecotypes in a polytypic population of threespine stickleback (Gasterosteus aculeatus). Evol. Ecol. Res. 7:121–131. , , , and .
- 2004. GENETIX 4.05, logiciel sous Windows TM pour la génétique des populations. Laboratoire Génome, Populations, Interactions, CNRS UMR 5000, Université de Montpellier II, Montpellier , France . , , , , and .
- 2001. Lateral plate evolution in the threespine stickleback: getting nowhere fast. Genetica 113:445–461.
- 2010. Constraints on speciation suggested by comparing lake-stream stickleback divergence across two continents. Mol. Ecol. 19:4963–4978. , , , and .
- 2008. Effects of colonization history and landscape structure on genetic variation within and among threespine stickleback (Gasterosteus aculeatus) populations in a single watershed. Evol. Ecol. Res. 10:575–598. , and .
- 2009. Population responses to anthropogenic disturbance: lessons from three-spined sticklebacks Gasterosteus aculeatus in eutrophic habitats. J. Fish Biol. 75:2108–2121.
- 1967. Phylogenetic analysis models and estimation procedures. Am. J. Hum. Genet. 19:233–257. , and .
- 2002. Genetic consequences of sequential founder events by an island-colonizing bird. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 99:8127–8132. , , , , , and .
- 2007. Studies of threespine stickleback developmental evolution: progress and promise. Genetica 129:105–126. , , , and .
- 2006. The relative influence of natural selection and geography on gene flow in guppies. Mol. Ecol. 15:49–62. , , , , and .
- 2005. Detecting the number of clusters of individuals using the software STRUCTURE: a simulation study. Mol. Ecol. 14:2611–2620. , , and .
- 2005. Arlequin (version 3.0): an integrated software package for population genetics data analysis. Evol. Bioinform. 1:47–50. , , and .
- 2008. A new Bayesian method to identify the environmental factors that influence recent migartion. Genetics 178:1491–1504. , and .
- 2005. PHYLIP (Phylogeny Inference Package) version 3.6. Distributed by the author. Department of Genome Sciences, University of Washington, Seattle , WA .
- 1996. Relationship of genetic variation to population size in wildlife. Conserv. Biol. 10:1500–1508.
- 2001. Detection of reduction in population size using data from microsatellite loci. Mol. Ecol. 10:305–318. Direct Link:, and .
- 2009. Rapid ecological speciation in three-spined stickleback Gasterosteus aculeatus from Middleton Island, Alaska: the roles of selection and geographic isolation. J. Fish Biol. 75:2037–2051. , , and .
- 2001. FSTAT: a computer program to estimate and test gene diversities and fixation indices (version 2.9.3). Available at http://www2.unil.ch/izea/softwares/fstat.html
- 2006. Contrasting hybridization rates between sympatric three-spined sticklebacks highlight the fragility of reproductive barriers between evolutionarily young species. Mol. Ecol. 15:739–752. , , and .
- 2006. Concordant genetic estimators of migration reveal anthropogenically enhanced source-sink population structure in the river Sculpin, Cottus gobio. Genetics 173:1487–1501. , and .
- 2002. Late glacial history of the cold-adapted freshwater fish Cottus gobio, revealed by microsatellites. Mol. Ecol. 11:1717–1729. , , , and .
- 2004. How much of the variation in adaptive divergence can be explained by gene flow: an evaluation using lake-stream stickleback pairs. Evolution 58:2319–2331. , and .
- 2002. Adaptive divergence and the balance between selection and gene flow: lake and stream stickleback in the Misty system. Evol. Int. J. Org. Evol. 56:1199–1216. , , and .
- 2009. Along the speciation continuum in sticklebacks. J. Fish Biol. 75:2000–2036. , , and , .
- 1999. Correlation of pairwise genetic and geographic distance measures: inferring the relative influences of gene flow and drift on the distribution of genetic variability. Evolution 53:1898–1914. , and .
- 2005. Isolation by distance, web service. Ver. 3.16. BMC Genet. 6:13. Available at http://ibdws.sdsu.edu/ , , and .
- 1993. Morphological-changes in a marine population of threespine stickleback, Gasterosteus aculeatus, recently isolated in fresh water. Can. J. Zool. 71:1251–1258.
- 2011. Integration of ecology, demography and genetics to reveal population structure and persistence: a mini review and case study of stream-dwelling Dolly Varden. Ecol. Freshwat. Fish. doi:10.1111/j.1600-0633.2010.00480.x
- 2006. Decomposed pairwise regression analysis of genetic and geographic distances reveals a metapopulation structure of stream-dwelling Dolly Varden charr. Mol. Ecol. 15:3175–3189. , , and .
- 2002. Rapid divergence in a recently isolated population of threespine stickleback (Gasterosteus aculeatus L.). Evol. Ecol. Res. 4:659–672. , , and .
- 2010. Ecological divergence and habitat isolation between two migratory forms of Japanese threespine stickleback (Gasterosteus aculeatus). J. Evol. Biol. 23:1436–1446. , , , and .
- 1999. Isolation and characterization of microsatellite loci from the three-spined stickleback (Gasterosteus aculeatus L.). Mol. Ecol. 8:342–344. , , , and .
- 2011. Directional genetic selection by pulp mill effluent on multiple natural populations of three-spined stickleback (Gasterosteus aculeatus). Ecotoxicology 20:503–512. , and .
- 2006. Genetic relationships among marine and freshwater populations of the European three-spined stickleback (Gasterosteus aculeatus) revealed by microsatellites. Mol. Ecol. 15:1519–1534. , , and .
- 2008. Identifying footprints of directional and balancing selection in marine and freshwater three-spined stickleback (Gasterosteus aculeatus) populations. Mol. Ecol. 17:3565–3582. , , and .
- 1986. Randomization and regression methods for testing for associations with geographical, environmental and biological distances between populations. Res. Popul. Ecol. 28:201–218.
- 1967. The detection of disease clustering and a generalized regression approach. Cancer Res. 27:209–220.
- 2002. Speciation in nature: the threespine stickleback model systems. Trends Ecol. Evol. 17:480–488. , and .
- 2009. Parallels, nonparallels, and plasticity in population differentiation of threespine stickleback within a lake. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 98:803–813. , and .
- 2007. Parallel evolution? Microsatellite variation of recently isolated marine and freshwater three-spined stickleback. J. Fish Biol. 70:125–131. , , and .
- 1996. TREEVIEW: an application display phylogenetic trees on personal computers. Comput. Appl. Biosci. 12:357–358.
- 2001. The genetic architecture of divergence between threespine stickleback species. Nature 414:901–905. , , , , , , , and .
- 2000. Inference of population structure using multilocus genotype data. Genetics 155:945–959. , , and .
- 2005. Detecting Holocene divergence in the anadromous-freshwater three-spined stickleback (Gasterosteus aculeatus) system. Mol. Ecol. 14:1001–1014. , , , and .
- 2007. Divergent selection as revealed by P(ST) and QTL-based F(ST) in three-spined stickleback (Gasterosteus aculeatus) populations along a coastal-inland gradient. Mol. Ecol. 16:891–905. , , , , and .
- 2008. Modeling genetic connectivity in sticklebacks as a guideline for river restoration. Evol. Appl. 1:475–488. , , , , , and .
- 2009. Guidelines for restoring connectivity around water mills: a population genetic approach to the management of riverine fish. J. Appl. Ecol. 46:562–571. , , , , and .
- 2001. Rapid genetic divergence in postglacial populations of threespine stickleback (Gasterosteus aculeatus): the role of habitat type, drainage and geographical proximity. Mol. Ecol. 10:2435–2445. , , and .
- 2008. GENEPOP ‘ 007: a complete re-implementation of the GENEPOP software for Windows and Linux. Mol. Ecol. Res. 8:103–106.
- 1985. Zur Fischfauna der Naturschutzseen Großes Heiliges Meer und Erdfallsee in Hopsten, Nordrhein Westfalen. Natur und Landschaft 60:87–89. , , , and .
- 2010. Historical and recent genetic bottlenecks in European grayling, Thymallus thymallus. Conserv. Genet. 11:279–292 , , and .
- 2005. Heterozygosity and phylogenetic relationship of Japanese threespine stickleback (Gasterosteus aculeatus) populations revealed by microsatellite analysis. Conserv. Genet. 6:485–494. , and .
- 1999. Evolutionary history of an adaptive radiation in species pairs of threespine sticklebacks (Gasterosteus): insights from mitochondrial DNA. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 66:271–291. , and .
- 2000. Historical contingency and ecological determinism interact to prime speciation in sticklebacks, Gasterosteus. Proc. R. Soc. B Biol. Sci. 267:2375–2384. , and .
- 1997. Parallel evolution of lake-stream pairs of threespine sticklebacks (Gasterosteus) inferred from mitochondrial DNA variation. Evolution 51:1955–1965. , , and .
- TIM-online, ©. 2011. Geobasisdaten der Kommunen und des Landes NRW @Geobasis NRW.
- 2006. Contemporary evolution of armour and body size in a recently introduced population of threespine stickleback Gasterosteus aculeatus. Acta Zool. Sin. 52:483–490.
- 2004. MICRO-CHECKER: software for identifying and correcting genotyping errors in microsatellite data. Mol. Ecol. Notes 4:535–538. , , , and .
- 2000. Net evolutionary trajectories of body shape evolution within a microgeographic radiation of threespine sticklebacks (Gasterosteus aculeatus). J. Zool. 252:293–302 , and .
- 2003. Genetic relationships and origin of two geographic groups of the freshwater threespine stickleback, “hariyo.” Zool. Sci. 20:265–274. , , and .
- 1984. Estimating F-statistics for the analysis of population structure. Evolution 38:1358–1370. , and .
- 1984. A functional biology of sticklebacks. Univ. of California Press, Berkeley and Los Angeles , CA .
- 1942. Isolation by distance. Genetics 38:114–138.
- 2008. A test of the “Flexible stem” model of evolution: ancestral plasticity, genetic accommodation, and morphological divergence in the threespine stickleback radiation. Am. Nat. 172:449–462. , , , , and .