This research is supported by JST PRESTO program, Asahi Glass Foundation, Grant-in-Aid for Young Scientist (B) (22770075) and Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research on Innovative Areas (23113007 and 23113001) from the Ministry of Education, Science, Sports, and Culture to J. K. and NIG Collaborative Research Program (2011-A68, A69). A. I. is a fellow of the Japan Society of Promotion of Science.
Shifts in morphology and diet of non-native sticklebacks introduced into Japanese crater lakes
Version of Record online: 27 APR 2012
© 2011 The Authors. MicrobiologyOpen published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited and is not used for commercial purposes.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 2, Issue 6, pages 1083–1098, June 2012
How to Cite
Adachi, T., Ishikawa, A., Mori, S., Makino, W., Kume, M., Kawata, M. and Kitano, J. (2012), Shifts in morphology and diet of non-native sticklebacks introduced into Japanese crater lakes. Ecology and Evolution, 2: 1083–1098. doi: 10.1002/ece3.234
- Issue online: 12 JUN 2012
- Version of Record online: 27 APR 2012
- Received: 19 January 2012; Revised: 9 February 2012; Accepted: 13 February 2012
- 2004. Genetics of lateral plate and gillraker phenotypes in a rapidly evolving population of threespine stickleback. Behaviour 141:1465–1483. , , and .
- 2008. The genetics of adaptive shape shift in stickleback: pleiotropy and effect size. Evolution 62:76–85. , , , , , , , , and .
- 2002. Strategies for genotyping: effectiveness of tailing primers to increase accuracy in short tandem repeat determinations. J. Biomol. Tech. 13:20–29. , , , , , , , and .
- 2003. Aquaculture of sockeye salmon in Lake Kussharo. Technical Report of the Center for Resource Management of Salmon and Trout 169:13–23. , and .
- 2009. The three-spined stickleback –Schistocephalus solidus system: an experimental model for investigating host-parasite interactions in fish. Parasitology 137:411–424. , and .
- 2010. Phylogeography, colonization and population history of the Midas cichlid species complex (Amphilophus spp.) in the Nicaraguan crater lakes. BMC Evol. Biol. 10:326. , and .
- 2006. Sympatric speciation in Nicaraguan crater lake cichlid fish. Nature 439:719–723. , , , , and .
- 2004. Twelve years of contemporary armor evolution in a threespine stickleback population. Evolution 58:814–824. , , and .
- 1994. The evolutionary biology of the threespine stickleback. Oxford Univ. Press, New York . , and .
- 2005. Phenotypic and genetic differentiation between native and introduced plant populations. Oecologia 144:1–11. , , , , , and .
- 2010. Adaptive evolution of pelvic reduction in sticklebacks by recurrent deletion of a Pitx1 enhancer. Science 327:302–305. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Widespread parallel evolution in sticklebacks by repeated fixation of Ectodysplasin alleles. Science 307:1928–33. , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2004. The genetic architecture of parallel armor plate reduction in threespine sticklebacks. PLoS Biol. 2:E109. , , , , , , and .
- 2006. Studies of threespine stickleback developmental evolution: progress and promise. Genetica 129:105–126. , , , and .
- 2005. Lag times and exotic species: the ecology and management of biological invasions in slow motion. Ecoscience 12:316–329.
- 1994. Effects of the cestode Schistocephalus solidus on food intake and foraging decisions in the three-spined stickleback Gasterosteus aculeatus. Ethology 79:65–75. , , and .
- 1990. Quantitative genetics of reaction norms. J. Evol. Biol. 3:447–468.
- 1974. Colonization of exploded volcanic islands by birds: the supertramp strategy. Science 184:803–806.
- 2010. Rapid sympatric ecological differentiation of crater lake cichlid fishes within historic times. BMC Biol. 8:60. , , , , and .
- 1958. The ecology of invasions by animals and plants. Univ. of Chicago Press, Chicago .
- 2005. Detecting the number of clusters of individuals using the software STRUCTURE: a simulation study. Mol. Ecol. 14:2611–2620. , , and .
- 2005. A general eco-evolutionary framework for understanding bioinvasions. Trends Ecol. Evol. 21:130–135. , , , , , and .
- 1995. FSTAT (Version 1.2): A computer program to calculate F-statistics. J. Hered. 86:485–486.
- 2010. A simple Poisson–gamma model for modelling rainfall occurrence and amount simultaneously. Agric. For. Meteorol. 150:1319–1330. , and .
- 2009. Evolutionary diversification in stickleback affects ecosystem functioning. Nature 458:1167–1170. , , , , , and .
- 1999. The pace of modern life: measuring rates of contemporary microevolution. Evolution 53:1637–1653. , and .
- 2011. Evolutionary principles and their practical application. Evol. Appl. 4:159–183. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Evolution of giantism in nine-spined sticklebacks. Evolution 63:3190–3200. , , and .
- 1959. Fishes in Lake Towada. Research Report from Hokkaido Salmon and Trout Hatchery 146:45–48. , and .
- 2010. Population genomics of parallel adaptation in threespine stickleback using sequenced RAD tags. PloS Genet. 6:e1000862. , , , , , and .
- 1993. Salmonid. Tokai Univ. Press, Tokyo .
- 2001. Bayesian inference of phylogeny and its impact on evolutionary biology. Science 294:2310–2314. , , , and .
- 2005. Using invasive species to study evolution: case studies with Drosophila and salmon. In D. F. Sax, J. J. Stachowicz and S. D. Gaines, eds., Sinauer, Sunderland . , , and .
- 1933. The distribution and morphological variations of the sticklebacks in Japan. Zool. Mag. Tokyo 46:553–572.
- 2011. Does intraspecific size variations in a predator affects its diet diversity and top-down control of prey? PLoS One 6:e20782. , , and .
- 2007. Quaternary diversification in a sexual Holarctic zooplankter, Daphnia galeata. Mol. Ecol. 16:569–582. , and .
- 2003. Impact of three-spined stickleback Gasterosteus aculeatus on zooplankton and chl a in shallow, eutrophic, brackish lakes. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 262:277–284. , , , , and .
- 2004. Cascading effect of three-spined stickleback Gasterosteus aculeatus on community composition, size, biomass and diversity of phytoplankton in shallow, eutrophic brackish lagoons. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 279:305–309. , , , and .
- 2005. Invasion success of vertebrates in Europe and North America. Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 102:7198–7202. , and .
- 2006. Determinants of vertebrate invasion success in Europe and North America. Glob. Change Biol. 12:1608–1619. , and .
- JFRCA. 2004a. Japan Fisheries Resource Conservation Association's Report on Basic Information of Lake and Pond Environment: Lake Shikotsu. Available at: http://www.fish-jfrca.jp/04/lake.html
- JFRCA. 2004b. Japan Fisheries Resource Conservation Association's Report on Basic Information of Lake and Pond Environment: Lake Towada. Available at: http://www.fish-jfrca.jp/04/lake.html
- 2004. The distribution of divergent mitochondrial DNA lineages of threespine stickleback (Gasterosteus aculeatus) in the northeastern Pacific Basin: postglacial dispersal and lake accessibility. J. Biogeogr. 31:1073–1083. , and .
- 2007. The molecular genetics of evolutionary changes in sticklebacks. In S. Östlund-Nilsson, I. Mayer and F. A. Huntingford, eds., CRC Press, Boca Raton , Florida . , and .
- 2010. Adaptive divergence in the thyroid hormone signaling pathway in the stickleback radiation. Curr. Biol. 20:2124–2130. , , , , , , , and .
- 2007a. Sexual dimorphism in the external morphology of the threespine stickleback (Gasterosteus aculeatus). Copeia 2007:336–349. , , and .
- 2008. Reverse evolution of armor plates in the threespine stickleback. Curr. Biol. 18:769–74. , , , , , , and .
- 2007b. Phenotypic divergence and reproductive isolation between sympatric forms of Japanese threespine sticklebacks. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 91:671–685. , , and .
- 2009. A role for a neo-sex chromosome in stickleback speciation. Nature 461:1079–1083. , , , , , , , , , , , and .
- 1993. Morphological changes in a marine population of threespined stickleback, Gasterosteus aculeatus, recently isolated in freshwater. Can. J. Zool. 71:1231–1258.
- 2004. Genetic variation increases during biological invasion by a Cuban lizard. Nature 431:177–181. , , , , , and .
- 2005. Rapid morphological changes in threespine stickleback. Environ. Biol. Fishes 74:357–363.
- 2002. Rapid divergence in a recently isolated population of threespine stickleback (Gasterosteus aculeatus). Evol. Ecol. Res. 4:659–672. , , and .
- 2007. ClustalW and ClustalX version 2. Bioinformatics 23:2947–2948. , , , , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2011. Genetics of body shape and armour variation in threespine sticklebacks. J. Evol. Biol. 24:206–218. , , and .
- 2007. Invasion ecology. Blackwell Scientific, Oxford . , , and .
- 2004. The phylogeny of diphyllobothriid tapeworms (Cestoda: Pseudophyllidea) based on ITS-2 rDNA sequences. Parasitol. Res. 94:10–15. , , , , and .
- 2010. Island biogeography theory: reticulations and reintegration of “a Biogeography of the species”. In J. B. Losos and R. E. Eicklefs, eds., Princeton Univ. Press, Princeton . , , and .
- 2010. Hybridization between distant lineages increases adaptive variation during a biological invasion: stickleback in Switzerland. Mol. Ecol. 19:3995–4011. , , , , and .
- 1967. The theory of island biogeography. Princeton Univ. Press, Princeton . , and .
- 2009. Parasites may contribute to ‘magic trait’ evolution in the adaptive radiation of three-spined sticklebacks, Gasterosteus aculeatus (Gasterosteiformes: Gasterosteidae). Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 96:425–433.
- 2002. Speciation in nature: the threespine stickleback model systems. Trends Ecol. Evol. 117:480–488. , and .
- 1977. Inherited interpopulation differences in size at first reproduction in threespine sticklebacks, Gasterosteus aculeatus. Heredity 38:53–60.
- 1994. Speciation and the evolution of reproductive isolation in the sticklebacks (Gasterosteus) of south-western British Columbia. In M. A. Bell and S. A. Foster, eds., Oxford Univ. Press, Oxford .
- 2007. cis-Regulatory changes in Kit Ligand expression and parallel evolution of pigmentation in sticklebacks and humans. Cell 131:1179–1189. , , , , , , and .
- 1984. Parasites determine a predaotr's optimal feeding strategy. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 15:35–37.
- 1987. Geographical variations in freshwater populations of the three-spined stickleback, Gasterosteus aculeatus, in Japan. Japan. J. Ichthyol. 34:33–46.
- 1990. Two morphological types in the reproductive stock of three-spined stickleback, Gasterosteus aculeatus, in Lake Harutori, Hokkaido Island. Environ. Biol. Fishes 27:21–31.
- 1999. Fish fauna of the littoral zones of Lake Towada: ecology of threespine stickleback. Research Report from National Institute for Environmental Studies 146:95–109.
- 1994. Global survey of mitochondrial DNA sequences in the threespine stickleback: evidence for recent migrations. Evolution 48:608–622. , , , and .
- 2001. The genetic architecture of divergence between threespine stickleback species. Nature 414:901–5. , , , , , , , and .
- 2009. Invasive species, ecosystem services and human well-being. Trends Ecol. Evol. 24:497–504. , and .
- 2005. Evolution of phenotypic plasticty: where are we going now? Trends Ecol. Evol. 20:481–486.
- 1991. The impact of three-spined sticklebacks on the zooplankton of a previously fish-free pool. Freshwater Biol. 26:149–163. , , and .
- 2000. Inference of Population Structure Using Multilocus Genotype Data. Genetics 155:945–959. , , and .
- 1995. GENEPOP (version 1.2): population genetics software for exact tests and ecumenicism. J. Hered. 86:248–249. , and .
- 1992. Extended longevity in a large-bodied Gasterosteus population. Can. Field-Naturalist 106:122–125.
- 2001. The population ecology of contemporary adaptation: What empirical studies reveal about the conditions that promote adaptive evolution. Genetica 112/113:183–198. , and .
- 2003. MRBAYES 3: Bayesian phylogenetic inference under mixed models. Bioinformatics 19:1572–1574. , and .
- 2011. Strong and consistent natural selection associated with armour reduction in sticklebacks. Mol. Ecol. 20:2483–2493. , , , , , , and .
- 2005. Global analysis of factors affecting the outcome of freshwater fish introductions. Conserv. Biol. 19:1883–1893.
- 2001. The population biology of invasive species. Ann. Rev. Ecol. Evol. Syst. 32:305–332. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1993. Genetics and evolution of phenotypic plasticity. Ann. Rev. Ecol. Evol. Syst. 24:35–68.
- 1988. Estimating the form of natural selection on a quantitative trait. Evolution 42:849–861.
- 2000. The ecology of adaptive radiation. Oxford Univ. Press, New York .
- 2004. Parallel evolution and inheritance of quantitative traits. Am. Nat. 163:809–22. , , , and .
- 2004. Genetic and developmental basis of evolutionary pelvic reduction in threespine sticklebacks. Nature 428:717–23. , , , , , , , and .
- 2008. Genetic and environmental contributions to the morphology of lake and stream stickleback: implications for gene flow and reproductive isolation. Evol. Ecol. Res. 10:849–866. , , , and .
- 2008. Application of the Tweedie distribution to zero-catch data in CPUE analysis. Fisheries Res. 93:154–162.
- 1989. Adaptive, genetically based differences in life history between estuary and freshwater threespine sticklebacks (Gasterosteus aculeatus L.). Can. J. Zool. 67:2448–2454. , and .
- 2011. A test of hybrid growth disadvantage in wild, free-ranging species pairs of threespine sticklebacks (Gasterosteus aculeatus) and its implications for ecological speciation. Evolution 66:240–251. , , , and .
- 1959. Study on kokanee salmon I: Lake Towada. Research Report from Hokkaido Salmon and Trout Hatchery 145:35–90.
- 1964. Study on kokanee salmon V: Transplantation of kokanee in Japan. Research Report from Hokkaido Salmon and Trout Hatchery 18:73–90.
- 2004. Impacts of stocking and introductions on freshwater fisheries of Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada. Fisheries Manage. Ecol. 11:183–193. , , and .
- 2003. Genetic relationships and origin of two geographic groups of the freshwater threespine stickleback, “Hariyo”. Zool. Sci. 20:265–274. , , and .
- 2009. The analysis of biological data. Roberts and Company, Greenwood Village , Colorado . , and .
- 2007. Island biogeography. Oxford Univ. Press, Oxford . , and .
- 2006. Limits to the adaptive potential of small populations. Ann. Rev. Ecol. Evol. Syst. 37:433–458. , , and .
- 1986. Mixed compound Poisson distributions. ASTIN Bull. 16:S59–S79.
- 2011. Genetic structure and diversity of Japanese kokanee Oncorhynchus nerka stocks as revealed by microsatellite and mitochondrial DNA markers. J. Fish Biol. 79:1340–1349. , , , and .