Funded by BBSRC grant BB/D011035/1.
A comparison of four methods for detecting weak genetic structure from marker data
Article first published online: 12 APR 2012
© 2011 The Authors. MicrobiologyOpen published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited and is not used for commercial purposes.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 2, Issue 5, pages 1048–1055, May 2012
How to Cite
Jones, O. R. and Wang, J. (2012), A comparison of four methods for detecting weak genetic structure from marker data. Ecology and Evolution, 2: 1048–1055. doi: 10.1002/ece3.237
Ecology and Evolution 2012; 2(5): 1048–1055
- Issue published online: 10 MAY 2012
- Article first published online: 12 APR 2012
- Received: 20 January 2012; Revised: 10 February 2012; Accepted: 13 February 2012
- 2002. Female dispersal and relatedness structure in common wombats (Vombatus ursinus). J. Zool. 256:389–399. , , and .
- 1999. New methods employing multilocus genotypes to select or exclude populations as origins of individuals. Genetics 153(4):1989–2000. , , , , and .
- 1999. Isolation by distance in a continuous population: reconciliation between spatial autocorrelation analysis and population genetics models. Heredity 83:145–154. , and .
- 1997. Principles of population genetics, 3rd ed, Sinauer Assoc., Sunderland, MA, USA . , and .
- 2004. Fine-scale spatial genetic correlation analyses reveal strong female philopatry within a brush-tailed rock-wallaby colony in southeast Queensland. Mol. Ecol. 13(12):3621–3632. , , and .
- 1996. Some genetic consequences of ice ages, and their role in divergence and speciation. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 58(3):247–276.
- 2007. Genetic structure among continental and island populations of gyrfalcons. Mol. Ecol. 16(15):3145–3160. , , , and .
- 2008. adegenet: a R package for the multivariate analysis of genetic markers. Bioinformatics 24(11):1403–1405. .
- 2010. COLONY: a program for parentage and sibship inference from multilocus genotype data. Mol. Ecol. Resour. 10(3):551–555. , and .
- 2007. Detecting female precise natal philopatry in green turtles using assignment methods. Mol. Ecol. 16(1):61–74. , , and .
- 1993. Similarity of DNA fingerprints due to chance and relatedness. Hum. Hered. 43(1):45–52. , , and .
- 1988. Estimation of relatedness by DNA fingerprinting. Mol. Biol. Evol. 5:584–599.
- 1999. Estimation of pairwise relatedness with molecular markers. Genetics 152(4):1753–1766. , and .
- 1999. Genetic detection of sex-biased dispersal. Mol. Ecol. 8(6):1063–1067. , and .
- 2008. A comparison of techniques for assessing dispersal behaviour in gundis: revealing dispersal patterns in the absence of observed dispersal behaviour. Mol. Ecol. 17(15):3541–3556.
- 2004. Genetic assignment methods for the direct, real-time estimation of migration rate: a simulation-based exploration of accuracy and power. Mol. Ecol. 13(1):55–65. , , , and .
- 2011. Kin assortment in juvenile shoals in wild guppy populations. Heredity 106(5):749–756. , , , , , and .
- 2000. Inference of population structure using multilocus genotype data. Genetics 155:945–959. , , and .
- 1989. Estimating relatedness using genetic markers. Evolution 43(2):258–275. , and .
- R Development Core Team2009. R: a language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna , Austria . Available at: http://www.R-project.org
- 1997. Detecting immigration by using multilocus genotypes. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 94(17):9197–9201. , and .
- 1996. Estimators for pairwise relatedness and individual inbreeding coefficients. Genet. Res. 67(2):175–185.
- 1997. Genetic differentiation and estimation of gene flow from F-statistics under isolation by distance. Genetics 145(4):1219–1228.
- 2000. Genetic differentiation between individuals. J. Evol. Biol. 13(1):58–62.
- 1987. Gene flow and the geographic structure of natural populations. Science 236(4803):787–792.
- 2002. An estimator for pairwise relatedness using molecular markers. Genetics 160(3):1203–1215.
- 2004. Estimating pairwise relatedness from dominant genetic markers. Mol. Ecol. 13(10):3169–3178.
- 2006. Informativeness of genetic markers for pairwise relationship and relatedness inference. Theor. Popl. Biol. 70(3):300–321.
- 2011. COANCESTRY: a program for simulating, estimating and analysing relatedness and inbreeding coefficients. Mol. Ecol. Res. 11(1):141–145.
- 1999. Measures of gene flow and migration: FST≠ 1/(4Nm+1). Heredity 82:117–125. , and .
- 1965. The interpretation of population structure by F-statistics with special regard to systems of mating. Evolution 19(3):395–420.