The Leverhulme Trust provided funding (research grant to the University of East Anglia).
Sex-specific effects of developmental environment on reproductive trait expression in Drosophila melanogaster
Version of Record online: 8 JUN 2012
© 2011 The Authors. MicrobiologyOpen published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited and is not used for commercial purposes.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 2, Issue 7, pages 1362–1370, July 2012
How to Cite
Edward, D. A. and Chapman, T. (2012), Sex-specific effects of developmental environment on reproductive trait expression in Drosophila melanogaster. Ecology and Evolution, 2: 1362–1370. doi: 10.1002/ece3.243
- Issue online: 6 JUL 2012
- Version of Record online: 8 JUN 2012
- Received: 14 February 2012; Revised: 24 February 2012; Accepted: 24 February 2012
- 2004. Image processing with ImageJ. Biophotonics International 11:36–42. , , and .
- 2007. Influence of developmental environment on male- and female-mediated sperm precedence in Drosophila melanogaster. J. Evol. Biol. 20:381–391. , and .
- 1994. Sexual selection. Princeton Univ. Press, Princeton, NJ, Chichester .
- 2002. Effects of body size, accessory gland and testis size on pre- and postcopulatory success in Drosophila melanogaster. Anim. Behav. 64:915–921. , , and .
- 1970. Interspecific competition between Drosophila melanogaster and Drosophila simulans—effects of larval density and short term adult starvation on fecundity, egg hatchability and adult viability. Ecology 51:170–189. , and .
- 1948. Intra-sexual selection in Drosophila. Heredity 2:349–368.
- 1999. Nestling diet, secondary sexual traits and fitness in the zebra finch. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. Ser. B Biol. Sci. 266:385–390. , , and .
- 2000. Stress and the evolution of condition-dependent signals. Trends Ecol. Evol. 15:156–160. .
- 2008. Mate choice for genetic quality when environments vary: suggestions for empirical progress. Genetica 134:69–78. , , , , and .
- 2006. Evidence for adaptive male mate choice in the fruit fly Drosophila melanogaster. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. Ser. B Biol. Sci. 273:917–922. , and .
- 2008. Is sexual selection beneficial during adaptation to environmental change? Trends Ecol. Evol. 23:446–452. , and .
- 1995. Cost of mating in Drosophila melanogaster females is mediated by male accessory-gland products. Nature 373:241–244. , , , , and .
- 2006. Sexual selection and condition-dependent mate preferences. Curr. Biol. 16:R755–R765. , , and .
- 2000. Condition-dependent signalling of genetic variation in stalk-eyes flies. Nature 406:186–188. , , , and .
- 2007. The effect of habitat composition on sexual conflict in the seaweed flies Coelopa frigida and C. pilipes. Anim. Behav. 74:343–348. , and .
- 2011. Quantifying the life-history response to increased male exposure in female Drosophila melanogaster. Evolution 65:564–573. , , , and .
- 1977. Ecology, sexual selection, and evolution of mating systems. Science 197:215–223. , and .
- 2007. Genetics of incipient speciation in Drosophila mojavensis. I. Male courtship song, mating success, and genotype x environment interactions. Evolution 61:1106–1119. , , , , , and .
- 2009. Examining potential benefits of group living in a sawfly larva, Perga affinis. Behav. Ecol. 20:657–664.
- 2009. The conditional economics of sexual conflict. Biol. Lett. 5:671–674. , , , and .
- 1995. Continuous variation in reproductive strategy as an adaptive response to population-density in the moth Plodia interpunctella. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. Ser. B Biol. Sci. 261:25–30.
- 2005. Female mate choice as a condition-dependent life-history trait. Am. Nat. 166:79–92. , , and .
- 2010. The role of genotype-by-environment interactions in sexual selection. J. Evol. Biol. 23:2031–2045. , , and .
- 2007. Effects of larval energetic resources on life history and adult allocation patterns in a caddisfly (Trichoptera: Phryganeidae). Ecol. Entomol. 32:376–383. , , and .
- 2000. Genetic variance of sexually selected traits in waxmoths: maintenance by genotype x environment interaction. Evolution 54:953–967. , , and .
- 1996. Larval density and variation of body size in laboratory lines of Drosophila melanogaster. Genetika 32:1010–1012. , , and .
- 1996. The genetic effects of competition in seaweed flies. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 57:1–11. , , , , and .
- 2011. Ecology, sexual selection and speciation. Ecol. Lett. 14:591–602. , and .
- 2010. Resolving mechanisms of competitive fertilization success in Drosophila melanogaster. Science 328:354–357. , , , , , and .
- 1994. Evolution of phenotypic optima and copula duration in dungflies. Nature 370:53–56. , and .
- 1987. Male size and mating success in Drosophila melanogaster—the roles of male and female behavior. Anim. Behav. 35:555–562. , , and .
- 2006. Assessing sexual conflict in the Drosophila melanogaster laboratory model system. Philos. Transac. R. Soc. B Biol. Sci. 361:287–299. , , , , , and .
- 2009. An examination of genetic variation and selection on condition in Drosophila melanogaster males. Entomol. Exp. Appl. 131:167–177. , and .
- 2010. Effects of colony size on larval performance in a processionary moth. Ecol. Entomol. 35:436–445. , , , and .
- 1997. Cichlid fish diversity threatened by eutrophication that curbs sexual selection. Science 277:1808–1811. , , and .
- 2003. Mating systems and strategies. Princeton Univ. Press, Princeton, NJ, Oxford . , and .
- 2003. Costs influence male mate choice in a freshwater fish. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. Ser. B Biol. Sci. 270:S36–S38. , and .