The effect of purging on sexually selected traits through antagonistic pleiotropy with survival
Version of Record online: 3 MAY 2012
© 2011 The Authors. MicrobiologyOpen published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited and is not used for commercial purposes.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 2, Issue 6, pages 1181–1194, June 2012
How to Cite
Bolstad, G. H., Pélabon, C., Larsen, L.-K., Fleming, I. A., Viken, Å. and Rosenqvist, G. (2012), The effect of purging on sexually selected traits through antagonistic pleiotropy with survival. Ecology and Evolution, 2: 1181–1194. doi: 10.1002/ece3.246
- Issue online: 12 JUN 2012
- Version of Record online: 3 MAY 2012
- Received: 15 November 2011; Revised: 24 February 2012; Accepted: 24 February 2012
- 2004. Image processing with ImageJ. Biophot. Int. 11:36–42. , , and .
- 2001. Sexual selection and the maintenance of sexual reproduction. Nature 411:692–695.
- 2008. The oxidation handicap hypothesis and the carotenoid allocation trade-off. J. Evol. Biol. 21:1789–1797. , , , , and .
- 1994. Sexual selection. Princeton Univ. Press, Princeton , NJ , USA .
- 2002. Putting sexual traits into the context of an organism: a life-history perspective in studies of sexual selection. Auk 119:301–310. , and .
- 2011. lme4: linear mixed-effects models using S4 classes. R package version 0.999375-39. Available at: http://CRAN.R-project.org/package=lme4 , , and .
- 1984. Contextual-effects models: theoretical and methodological issues. Annu. Rev. Sociol. 10:353–372.
- 2010. Direct selection at the blossom level on floral reward by pollinators in a natural population of Dalechampia schottii: full-disclosure honesty? New Phytol. 188:370–384. , , , , and .
- 2010. Inbreeding depression of sexually selected traits and attractiveness in the zebra finch. Anim. Behav. 79:947–955. , , , and .
- 2011. Genetics of male guppy color patterns. Pp. 254–263 in J. P. Evans, A. Pilastro, and I. Schlupp, eds. Ecology and evolution of poeciliid fishes. Univ. of Chicago Press, Chicago , IL , USA . , and .
- 2001a. Direct and indirect sexual selection and quantitative genetics of male traits in guppies (Poecilia reticulata). Evolution 55:1002–1015. , and .
- 2001b. Female guppies agree to differ: phenotypic and genetic variation in mate-choice behavior and the consequences for sexual selection. Evolution 55:1644–1655. , and .
- 2000. Negative genetic correlation between male sexual attractiveness and survival. Nature 406:67–70.
- 1987. The heritability of fitness. Pp. 21–40 in J. W. Bradbury and M. A. Anderson, eds. Sexual selection: testing the alternatives. Wiley, Chichester , UK .
- 2009. The genetics of inbreeding depression. Nat. Rev. Gen. 10:783–796. , and .
- 2002. Perspective: purging the genetic load: a review of the experimental evidence. Evolution 56:2347–2358. , and .
- 1999. A comparison of inbreeding depression in life-history and morphological traits in animals. Evolution 53:1288–1292. , and .
- 2007. Sounds different: inbreeding depression in sexually selected traits in the cricket Teleogryllus commodus. J. Evol. Biol. 20:1138–1147. , , , and .
- 2010. Inbreeding and advertisement calling in the cricket Teleogryllus commodus: laboratory and field experiments. Evolution 64:3069–3083. , , , and .
- 2011. Geographical variation in allometry in the guppy (Poecilia reticulata). J. Evol. Biol. 24:2631–2638. , , , , and .
- 2007. Centering predictor variables in cross-sectional multilevel models: a new look at an old issue. Psychol. Meth. 12:121–138. , and .
- 1995. Geographic variation in female preferences for male traits in Poecilia reticulata. Evolution 49:456–468. , and .
- 1989. Introduction to quantitative genetics. 3rd ed. Longman, London , UK .
- 1930. The genetical theory of natural selection. Oxford Univ. Press, Oxford , UK .
- 1998. Comparison of breeding strategies for purging inbreeding depression via simulation. Conserv. Biol. 12:856–864. , , and .
- 1999. Patterns of the purging of deleterious genes with synergistic interactions in different breeding schemes. Theor. Appl. Gen. 98:337–346.
- 2000. Inbreeding depression in conservation biology. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 31:139–162. , and .
- 1994. Purging inbreeding depression and the probability of extinction: full-sib mating. Heredity 82:126–133.
- 1987. A method for analyzing selection in hierarchically structured populations. Am. Nat. 130:582–602. , and .
- 1987. Mate choice based upon naturally occurring color-pattern variation in a guppy population. Evolution 41:1–10.
- 1997. Sex, color, and mate choice in guppies. Princeton Univ. Press, Princeton , NJ , USA .
- 1991. Genetic covariance of fitness correlates: what genetic correlations are made of and why it matters. Evolution 45:630–648.
- 2005. Genetic and environmental effects on secondary sex traits in guppies (Poecilia reticulata). J. Evol. Biol. 18:35–45. , , and .
- 2005. Epistasis in monkeyflowers. Genetics 171:1917–1931.
- 1982. Sexual selection and the evolution of female choice. Evolution 36:1–12.
- 1987. Anisogamy, sexual selection, and the evolution and maintenance of sex. Evol. Ecol. 1:95–105. , and .
- 2001. Fisherian and “good genes” benefits of mate choice: how (not) to distinguish between them. Ecol. Lett. 4:322–326.
- 1995. The effects of different forms of centring in hierarchical linear models. Multivar. Behav. Res. 30:1–21. , , and .
- 1985. The evolution of self-fertilization and inbreeding depression in plants. I. Genetic models. Evolution 39:24–40. , and .
- 1980. Sexual dimorphism, sexual selection, and adaptation in polygenic characters. Evolution 34:292–305.
- 1981. Models of speciation by sexual selection on polygenic traits. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 78:3721–3725.
- 2011. Temporal change in inbreeding depression in life-history traits in captive populations of guppy (Poecilia reticulata): evidence for purging? J. Evol. Biol. 24:823–834. , , , , , and .
- 2002. Sex chromosomes and sexual selection in poeciliid fishes. Am. Nat. 160:S214–S224. , and .
- 2003. Condition-dependent sexual selection can accelerate adaptation. Evol. Ecol. Res. 5:867–881. , , , and .
- 1998. Genetics and analysis of quantitative traits. Sinauer Associates, Sunderland , MA , USA . , and .
- 1995. Mutation accumulation and the extinction of small populations. Am. Nat. 146:489–518. , , and .
- 1984. Males and the advantage of sex. J. Theor. Biol. 108:215–220.
- 1991. The relationship between male ornamentation and swimming performance in the guppy, Poecilia reticulata. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 28:365–370.
- 1993. Female sexual response to condition-dependent ornaments in the guppy, Poecilia reticulata. Anim. Behav. 46:441–450.
- 1995. A resolution of the lek paradox. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 260:21–29. , and .
- 1991. The evolution of costly mate preferences I. Fisher and biased mutation. Evolution 45:1422–1430. , , and .
- 2011. Sex-dependent selection differentially shapes genetic variation on and off the guppy Y chromosome. Evolution 65:2145–2156. , , , and .
- 2010. Low inbreeding depression in a sexual trait in the stalk-eyed fly Teleopsis dalmanni. Evol. Ecol.24:827–837. , , , , and .
- 2002. Hierarchical linear models: applications and data analysis methods. 2nd ed. Sage Publications, Thousand Oaks , CA , USA . , and .
- R Development Core Team. 2011. R: a language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna , Austria . Available at: http://www.R-project.org
- 1993. Environmental conditions and male morphology determine alternative mating behavior in Trinidadian guppies. Anim. Behav. 45:145–152. , , and .
- 1998. Effects of inbreeding on morphological and life history traits of the sand cricket, Gryllus firmus. Heredity 81:28–37.
- 1996. The lek paradox and the capture of genetic variance by condition dependent traits. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 263:1415–1421. , and .
- 1997. Fluctuating asymmetry, spot asymmetry and inbreeding depression in the sexual coloration of male guppy fish. Heredity 79:515–523. , and .
- 2001. Sexual selection and the maintenance of sex. Nature 411:689–692.
- 2006. Does female nuptial coloration reflect egg carotenoids and clutch quality in the two-spotted goby (Gobiusculus flavescens, Gobiidae)? Func. Ecol. 20:689–698. , , , , and .
- 2005. Chromatic interaction between egg pigmentation and skin chromatophores in the nupital coloration of female two-spotted gobies. J. Exp. Biol. 208:4391–4397. , , , and .
- 2006. Female coloration, egg carotenoids and reproductive success: gobies as a model system. Ph.D. thesis, Norwegian University of Science and Technology , Norway .
- 2009. A simple method for distinguishing within- versus between-subject effects using mixed models. Anim. Behav. 77:753–758. , and .
- 2003. Inbreeding depression and genetic load of sexually selected traits: how the guppy lost its spots. J. Evol. Biol. 16:273–281. , , , , , and .
- 1999. Good genes, oxidative stress and condition-dependent sexual signals. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 266:1–12. , , , , and .
- 1999. Dynamics of inbreeding depression due to deleterious mutations in small populations: mutation parameters and inbreeding rate. Gen. Res. 74:165–178. , , , and .
- 2009. Purging the genome with sexual selection: reducing mutation load through selection on males. Evolution 63:569–582. , and .
- 1999. The role of genes of large effect on inbreeding depression in Mimulus guttatus. Evolution 53:1678–1691.
- 2010. Inbreeding depression in male traits and preference for outbred males in Poecilia reticulata. Behav. Ecol. 21:884–891. , and .