Supported by ECOS-Conicyt (C08B02), partially by FONDECYT (1090423), and partially by a CONICYT-Becas Chile postdoctoral fellowship.
The effects of reproductive specialization on energy costs and fitness genetic variances in cyclical and obligate parthenogenetic aphids
Version of Record online: 8 JUN 2012
© 2011 The Authors. MicrobiologyOpen published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited and is not used for commercial purposes.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 2, Issue 7, pages 1414–1425, July 2012
How to Cite
Carter, M. J., Simon, J.-C. and Nespolo, R. F. (2012), The effects of reproductive specialization on energy costs and fitness genetic variances in cyclical and obligate parthenogenetic aphids. Ecology and Evolution, 2: 1414–1425. doi: 10.1002/ece3.247
- Issue online: 6 JUL 2012
- Version of Record online: 8 JUN 2012
- Received: 8 December 2011; Revised: 16 February 2012; Accepted: 24 February 2012
- 2011. Short-term consequences of reproductive mode variation on the genetic architecture of energy metabolism and life-history traits in the pea aphid. J. Insect Physiol. 57:986–994. , , , , and .
- 1997. Conservation of mass-specific metabolic rate among high- and low-elevation populations of the acridid grasshopper Xanthippus corallipes. Physiol. Biochem. Zool. 70:701–711.
- 2009. Biological invasions and phenotypic evolution: a quantitative genetic perspective. Biol. Invasions 11:2243–2250.
- 2011. The effect of sex on the mean and variance of fitness in facultatively sexual rotifers. J. Evol. Biol. 24:656–664. , and .
- 2010. Fisher's fundamental theorem of inclusive fitness and the change in fitness due to natural selection when conspecifics interact. J. Evol. Biol. 23:194–206.
- 1995. A manual for use of MTDFREML. A set of programs to obtain estimates of variances and covariances. U.S. Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service, Lincoln . , , , , and .
- 2007. Natural selection in populations subject to a migration load. Evolution 61:2229–2243. , and .
- 2010b. Do insect pests perform better on highly defended plants? Costs and benefits of induced detoxification defences in the aphid Sitobion avenae. J. Evol. Biol. 23:2474–2483. , , and .
- 2010a. Effects of wing polyphenism, aphid genotype and host plant chemistry on energy metabolism of the grain aphid, Sitobion avenae. J. Insect Physiol. 56:1920–1924. , , , and .
- 2010c. Variation and covariation of life history traits in aphids are related to infection with the facultative bacterial endosymbiont Hamiltonella defensa. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 100:237–247. , , and .
- 1993 A unified approach to the study of hypervariable polymorphisms: statistical considerations of determining relatedness and population distances. Pp. 153–175 in Pena, S. D. J., R. Chakraborty, J. T. Epplen, and A. J. Freys, eds. DNA fingerprinting: state of the science. Birkhauser Verlag, Basel . , and .
- 1983. Metabolism and thermoregulation in desert and montane grasshoppers. Oecologia (Berlin) 56:126–131.
- 2002. The ecology and genetics of fitness in Chlamydomonas. VIII. The dynamics of adaptation to novel environments after a single episode of sex. Evolution 56:14–21. , , and .
- 2002. Perspective: here's to Fisher, additive genetic variance, and the fundamental theorem of natural selection. Evolution 56:1313–1316.
- 2003. Phylogenetic evidence for hybrid origins of asexual lineages in an aphid species. Evolution 57:1291–1303. , , , , , , and .
- 2004 Evolutionary and ecological genetics of cyclical parthenogens. Pp. 122–134 in Moya, A. and E. Font, eds. Evolution: from molecules to ecosystems. Oxford University Press, Oxford . , , and .
- 1971. Morph determination in the bird cherry-oat aphid Rhopalosiphum padi. Ann. Appl. Biol. 68:11–21. , and .
- 1994. The fundamental theorem of natural selection. Biol. Rev. 69:443–474.
- 2011. Fitness variation and local distribution limits in an annual plant population. Evolution 65:1011–1020. , , and .
- 2011. What is the gene trying to do? Br. J. Philos. Sci. 62:155–176.
- 1930. The genetical theory of natural selection. A complete variorum edition. Oxford University Press, New York .
- 1988. Common principal components and related multivariate models. Wiley, New York .
- 1992. Fisher's fundamental theorem of natural selection. Trends Ecol. Evol. 7:92–95. , and .
- 2011. Migration-induced phenotypic divergence: the migration-selection balance of correlated traits. Evolution 65:1723–1738.
- 1986. Lifetime reproductive success and heritability: empirical support for Fisher fundamental theorem. Am. Nat. 128:761–764.
- 2008. Gene flow between sexual and facultatively asexual lineages of an aphid species and the maintenance of reproductive mode variation. Mol. Ecol. 17:2998–3007. , , , and .
- 2006. Temporal differentiation and spatial coexistence of sexual and facultative asexual lineages of an aphid species at mating sites. J. Evol. Biol. 19:809–815. , , , , and .
- 2011. Evolutionary principles and their practical application. Evol. Appl. 4:159–183. , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2001. Temperature, demography, and ectotherm fitness. Am. Nat. 158:204–210. , and .
- 1999. Clonal variability in sequences of morph production during the transition from parthenogenetic to sexual reproduction in the aphid Rhopalosiphum padi (Sternorrhyncha: Aphididae). Eur. J. Entomol. 96:125–134. , , , and .
- 2010. Genetic data hint at a common donor region for invasive Atlantic and Pacific populations of Gracilaria vermiculophyta (Gracilariales, Rhodophyta). J. Phycol. 46:1346–1349. , , and .
- 2011. Trade-off acquisition and allocation in Gryllus firmus: a test of the Y model. J. Evol. Biol. 24:256–264. , , and .
- 2003. When environmental variation short-circuits natural selection. Trends Ecol. Evol. 18:207–209. , , and .
- 2000. Heritability of fitness in a wild mammal population. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 97:698–703. , , , , , and .
- 2008. Genetic variation for plasticity in physiological and life-history traits among populations of an invasive species, the terrestrial isopod Porcellio laevis. Evol. Ecol. Res. 10:1–16. , and .
- 2002. Evolutionary genetics of invasive species. Trends Ecol. Evol. 17:386–391.
- 1994. Dynamics of adaptation and diversification—a 10,000 generation experiment with bacterial populations. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 91:6808–6814. , and .
- 2008. Measuring metabolic rates, 1st ed. Oxford Univ. Press, New York .
- 2004. Components of variance underlying fitness in a natural population of the great tit Parus major. Am. Nat. 164:E62–E72. , , , , , and .
- 2000. Lifetime reproductive success and heritability in nature. Am. Nat. 155:301–310. , and .
- 1992. The evolutionary maintenance of alternative phenotypes. Am. Nat. 139:971–989.
- 2001. Patterns of genetic architecture for life-history traits and molecular markers in a subdivided species. Evolution 55: 1753–1761. , , , , , , , and .
- 1987. Natural selection and the heritability of fitness components. Heredity 59:181–197. , and .
- 2008. Short-term population differences in the genetic architecture of life history traits related to sexuality in an aphid species. Heredity 100:374–381. , , , and .
- 2009. Evolution of trade-offs between sexual and asexual phases and the role of reproductive plasticity in the genetic architecture of aphid life histories. Evolution 63:2402–2412. , , , , and .
- 1988. A preliminary study of variation and inheritance of life-history traits and the occurrence of hybrid vigour in Sitobion avenae (F.) (Hemiptera: Aphididae). Bull. Entomol. Res. 78:75–83. , and .
- 2008. Fisher's fundamental theorem of natural selection—a philosophical analysis. Br. J. Philos. Sci. 59:319–351.
- 2000. Quantitative genetic variation in Daphnia: Temporal changes in genetic architecture. Evolution 54:1502–1509. , and .
- 1999. Hierarchical comparison of genetic variance-covariance matrices. I. Using the Flury hierarchy. Evolution 53:1506–1515. , and .
- 1991. On the low heritability of life history traits. Evolution 45:853–861. , and .
- 2000. Quantitative genetics of life-history traits in a long-lived wild mammal. Heredity 85:593–603. , and .
- 1999. Extreme life-cycle and sex ratio variation among sexually produced clones of the aphid Rhopalosiphum padi (Homoptera: Aphididae). Oikos 86:254–264. , , and .
- 1996. Fitness comparison between clones differing in their ability to produce sexuals in the aphid Rhopalosiphum padi. Entomologia Experimentalis et Applicata 80:469–474. , , and .
- 2010. Modeling evolution: an introduction to numerical methods. Oxford Univ. Press, Oxford .
- 1986. Quantitative genetics and fitness: lessons from Drosophila. Heredity 58:103–118. , and .
- 2002a. Comparing G matrices: a MANOVA method. Evolution 56:1286–1291.
- 2002b. Life history evolution. Sinauer Associates. Sunderland , MA .
- 2006. Computer-intensive methods of data analysis in biology. Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge .
- 2000. Effects of temperature and dietary sucrose concentration on respiration in the silverleaf whitefly, Bemisia argentifolii. J. Insect Physiol. 46:1461–1467. , and .
- 2002. Ecology and evolution of sex in aphids. Trends Ecol. Evol. 17:34–39. , , and .
- 1991. Local variability in the life cycle of the bird cherry-oat aphid Rhopalosyphum padi (Homoptera: Aphididae) in western France. Bull. Entomol. Res. 81:315–322. , , and .
- Statistica StatSoft INC. 2006. STATISTICA (data analysis software system) version 6.1. Available at: http://www.statsoft.com
- 2002. Comparative quantitative genetics: evolution of the G matrix. Trends Ecol. Evol. 17:320–327. , , and .
- 2004. Metabolic rate variation in Glossina pallidipes (Diptera: Glossinidae): gender, ageing and repeatability. J. Insect Physiol. 50:419–428. , , and .
- 2004. Trade-offs between sexual and clonal reproduction in an aquatic plant: experimental manipulations vs. phenotypic correlations. J. Evol. Biol. 17:581–592. , and .
- 2005. Differential shuffling of native genetic diversity across introduced regions in a brown alga: aquaculture vs. maritime traffic effects. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 102:5432–5437. , , and .
- 2008. Genetic variation and covariation of susceptibility to parasitoids in the aphid Myzus persicae: no evidence for trade-offs. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 275:1089–1094. , , , and .
- 2005. Positive genetic correlations among major life-history traits related to ecological success in the aphid Myzus persicae. Evolution 59:1006–1015.