Funded by Australian Department of the Environment and Water Resources, and Envirofund Australia.
Historic hybridization and introgression between two iconic Australian anemonefish and contemporary patterns of population connectivity
Article first published online: 14 JUN 2012
© 2011 The Authors. MicrobiologyOpen published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited and is not used for commercial purposes.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 2, Issue 7, pages 1592–1604, July 2012
How to Cite
van der Meer, M. H., Jones, G. P., Hobbs, J.-P. A. and van Herwerden, L. (2012), Historic hybridization and introgression between two iconic Australian anemonefish and contemporary patterns of population connectivity. Ecology and Evolution, 2: 1592–1604. doi: 10.1002/ece3.251
- Issue published online: 6 JUL 2012
- Article first published online: 14 JUN 2012
- Received: 19 February 2012; Accepted: 1 March 2012
- 1991. Damselfishes of the world. Mergus Publishers, Melle , Germany , p. 271.
- 2008. Conservation hotspots of biodiversity and endemism for Indo-Pacific coral reef fishes. Aquat. Conserv. 18:541–556.
- 2002. A model-based method for identifying species hybrids using multilocus genetic data. Genetics 160:1217–1229. , and .
- 1992. Molecular population structure and the biogeographic history of a regional fauna: a case history with lessons for conservation biology. Oikos 63:62–76.
- 2011. Greater genetic diversity in spatially restricted coral reef fishes suggests secondary contact among differentiated lineages. Diversity 3:483–502. DOI: 10.3390/d3030483. , and .
- 2006. The relationship between population genetic structure and pelagic larval duration in coral reef fishes on the Great Barrier Reef. Mar. Biol. 149:1247–1256. , , and .
- 1995. Controlling the false discovery rate, a practical and powerful approach to multiple testing. J. R. Stat. Soc. 57:289–300. , and .
- 2004. Effect of unsampled populations on the estimation of population sizes and migration rates between sampled populations. Mol. Ecol. 13:827–836.
- 2001. Maximum likelihood estimation of a migration matrix and effective population sizes in n subpopulations by using a coalescent approach. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 98:4563–4568. , and .
- 2002. IBD (Isolation By Distance): a program for analyses of isolation by distance. J. Hered. 93:153–154.
- 1995. Global patters of mammalian diversity, endemism and endangerment. Conserv. Biol. 9:559–568. , and .
- 2006. A report on the ecological surveys conducted at Middleton and Elizabeth Reefs, February 2006. Report to the Australian Government Department of Environment and Heritage, Canberra, p. 65. , , , , and .
- 1980. Australia sea fishes South of 30°S. Doubleday Australia Pty Ltd, Lane Cove, NSW , p. 309.
- 2009. Larval supply is a good predictor of recruitment in endemic but not non-endemic fish populations at a high latitude coral reef. Coral Reefs 29:137–143. , , and .
- 2007. Bayesian evolution analysis by sampling trees. BMC Evol. Biol. 7:214. DOI: 10.1186/1471-2148-7-214 , and
- 2009. Geneious v4.7. Available at: http://www.geneious.com/ , , , , , , , , and .
- 2003. Extinction vulnerability in marine populations. Fish Fish. 4:25–64. , , and .
- 1992. Analysis of molecular variance inferred from metric distances among DNA haplotypes: application to human mitochondrial DNA restriction data. Genetics 131:479–491. , , and .
- 2005. Arlequin (version 3.0), an integrated software package for population genetics data analysis. Evol. Bioinform. Online 1:47–50. , , and .
- 1992. Conservation evaluation and phylogenetic diversity. Conservation 61:1–10.
- 1992. Anemone fishes and their host sea Anemones: a guide for aquarists and divers. Western Australian Museum, Perth . , and .
- 1997. Anemone fishes and their host sea Anemones: a guide for aquarists and divers. 2nd ed. Western Australian Museum, Perth . , and .
- 1997. Do island populations have less genetic variation than mainland populations. Heredity 78:311–327.
- 1998. Inbreeding and extinction, Island populations. Conserv. Biol. 12:665–675.
- 1997. Statistical tests of neutrality of mutations against population growth, hitchhiking and background selection. Genetics 147:915–925.
- 2002. Arthropods on islands, colonization, speciation and conservation. Annu. Rev. Entomol. 47:595–632. , and .
- 2008. Biodiversity dynamics in isolates island communities: interaction between natural and human-mediated processes. Mol. Ecol. 17:45–57. , , and .
- 1998. Shallow population histories in deep evolutionary lineages of marine fishes: insights from the sardines and anchovies and lessons for conservation. J. Hered. 89:415–426. , and .
- 2007. Monitoring the ecological status of Elizabeth and Middleton Reefs, February 2007. Report to The Department of Water and Resources, Canberra, p. 37. , and .
- 2009a. Distribution, abundance, habitat association and extinction risk of marine fishes endemic to the Lord Howe Island region, November 2009. Report to Lord Howe Island Marine Park, NSW Marine Parks Authority, p. 37. , , and .
- 2009b. Marine hybrid hotspot at Indo-Pacific biogeographic border. Biol. Lett. 5:258–261. , , , and .
- 2009. Inferring weak population structure with the assistance of sample group information. Mol. Ecol. Resour. 9:1322–1332. , , , and
- 2001. Bayesian inference of phylogeny and its impact on evolutionary biology. Science 294:2310–2314. , , , and .
- 2002. Potential applications and pitfalls of Bayesian inference of phylogeny. Syst. Biol. 51:673–688. , , , and .
- 2006. Life on the margin: genetic isolation and diversity loss in a peripheral marine ecosystem, the Baltic Sea. Mol. Ecol. 15:2013–2029. , and .
- 2010. Discriminant analysis of principal components, a new method for the analysis of genetically structured populations. BMC Genet. 11:94. , , and .
- 2002. Rarity in coral reef fish communities. Pp. 81–102 in P. F. Sale, ed. Coral reef fishes. Dynamics and diversity in a complex ecosystem. Academic Press, San Diego . , , and .
- 2005. Coral reef larvae settle close to home. Curr. Biol. 15:1314–1318. , , and .
- 1995. Bayes factors. J. Am. Stat. Assoc. 773:795. , and .
- 2009. Fundamental evolutionary limits in ecological traits drive Drosophila species distributions. Science 325:1244–1246. , , , and .
- 2001. Population structure and speciation in tropical seas, global phylogeography of the sea urchin Diadema. Evolution 55:955–975. , , and .
- 2007. Hybridisation of reef fish at the Indo-Pacific biogeographic barrier, a case study. Coral Reefs 26:841–850. , , , and .
- 1997. Rapid rate of control-region evolution in Pacific butterflyfishes (Chaetodontidae). J. Mol. Evol. 45:473–484. , and .
- 1999. Color pattern evolution, assortative mating, and genetic differentiation in brightly colored butterflyfishes (Chaetodontidae). Evolution 53:247–260. , , and .
- 1990. Conserving the world's biological diversity. World Conservation Union, World Resources Institute, Conservation International, World Wildlife Fund-US, and the World Bank, Washington , DC . , , , , and .
- 2009. Topographic effects of the East Australia Current outflow at Lord Howe Island, Middleton Reef and Taupo Seamount. RV Southern Surveyor voyage SS06/2009 Voyage Plan and Voyage Summary. CSIRO Division of Marine and Atmospheric Research , Hobart, Tasmania . , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1994. Defining ‘evolutionarily significant units’ for conservation. Trends Ecol. Evol. 9:373–375.
- 2002. Strategies to protect biological diversity and the evolutionary processes that sustain it. Syst. Biol. 51:238–254.
- 2001. Phylogeography of Ophioblennius, the role of ocean currents and geography in reef fish evolution. Evolution 55:561–572. , , , , and
- 1990. El Nino, La Nina, and the Southern Oscillation, Vol. 46 (International Geophysics). Academic Press, Waltham, Massachusetts. , , and .
- 2002. Isolation by distance and vicariance drive genetic structure of a coral reef fish in the Pacific Ocean. Evolution 56:378–399. , and
- 2008. jModelTest, phylogenetic model averaging. Mol. Biol. Evol. 25:1253–1256.
- 2000. Inference of population structure using multilocus genotype data. Genetics 155:945–959. , , and .
- 1998. Zoogeography of shore fishes of the Indo-Pacific region. Zool. Stud. 37:227–268.
- 1998. Descriptions of the colour patterns of juvenile anemonefishes (Pomacentridae, Amphiprion) from New South Wales and the Lord Howe – Norfolk Island Region. Proc. Linn. Soc. NSW 120:81–86.
- 1999. Correlates of environmental variables with patterns in the distribution and abundance of two anemonefishes (Pomacentridae, Amphiprion) on an eastern Australian sub-tropical reef system. Environ. Biol. Fish 55:255–263.
- 1999. Extinction risk in the sea. Trends Ecol. Evol. 14:241–246. , and
- 2008. Genepop’007: a complete re-implementation of the genepop software for Windows and Linux. Mol. Ecol. Resour. 8:103–106.
- 2006. Finding Nemo, molecular phylogeny and evolution of the unusual life style of anemonefish. Gene 385:19–27. , and .
- Sea Read. 2009. World's first – hybrid fish at Reef HQ aquarium. Issue 26. Available at: http://www.gbrmpa.gov.au/__data/.../SeaRead_26_Final_QXPscreen.pdf
- 1993. Isolation by distance in equilibrium and non-equilibrium populations. Evolution 47:264–279.
- 1995. Prehistoric extinctions of Pacific island birds- Biodiversity meets zooarchaeology. Science 267:1123–1131.
- 2002. A direct approach to false discovery rate. J. R. Stat. Soc. Ser. B 64:479–498.
- 2001. Bayesian selection of continuous time Markov chain evolutionary models. Mol. Biol. Evol. 18:1001–1013. , , and .
- 2001. PAUP*. Phylogenetic analysis using parsimony (and other methods), version 4.0b6. Sinauer Associates, Sunderland , MA .
- 1983. Evolutionary relationship of DNA sequences in finite populations. Genetics 105:437–460.
- 2007. MEGA4, molecular evolutionary genetics analysis (MEGA) software version 4.0. Mol. Biol. Evol. 24:1596–1599. , , and .
- 2008. Contrasting patterns in species boundaries and evolution of anemonefishes (Amphiprioninae, Pomacentridae) in the centre of marine biodiversity. Mol. Phylogenet. Evol. 49:268–276. , , and
- 2011. Identification of seventeen microsatellite markers for studies on population connectivity in the anemonefish Amphiprion mccullochi. Conserv. Genet. Resour. DOI: 10.1007/s12686-011-9517-1 , , , and .
- 2006. Contrasting genetic structures across two hybrid zones of a tropical reef fish, Acanthochromis polyacanthus (Bleeker 1855). J. Evol. Biol. 19:239–252. , and .
- 2006. Contrasting patterns of genetic structure in two species of the coral trout Plectropomus (Serranidae) from east and west Australia, Introgressive hybridation or ancestral polymorphism. Mol. Phylogenet. Evol. 41:420–435. , , , , , , and .
- 2009. Complex patterns of population structure and recruitment of Plectropomus leopardus (Pisces, Epinephelidae) in the Indo-West Pacific, implications for fisheries management. Mar. Biol. 156:1595–1607. , , , , and .
- 2004. MICRO-CHECKER, software for identifying and correcting genotyping errors in microsatellite data. Mol. Ecol. Not. 4:535–538. , , , and .
- 1991. Chelex-100 as a medium for simple extraction of DNA for PCR based typing from forensic material. Biotechniques 10:506–513. , , and .
- 2006. The role of hybridization in the evolution of reef corals. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Evol. Syst. 37:489–517. , , , , and .
- 2010. Phylogeography of the Indo-Pacific parrotfish Scarus psittacus: isolation generates distinctive peripheral populations in two oceans. Mar. Biol. 157:1679–1691. , , , and .
- 2006. Hybridization in coral reef fishes, introgression and bi-directional gene exchange in Thalassoma (family Labridae). Mol. Phylogenet. Evol. 40:84–100. , , , and .
- 2006. Genetic algorithm approaches for the phylogenetic analysis of large biological sequence datasets under the maximum likelihood criterion. Ph.D. thesis, The University of Texas at Austin , TX . Available at: http://repositories.lib.utexas.edu/handle/2152/2666