Funded by a NERC research studentship (NE/F008759/1) and NERC Standard Grant NE/D010721/1 to O. T. L. and R. P. F.
Consequences of changing rainfall for fungal pathogen-induced mortality in tropical tree seedlings
Article first published online: 8 JUN 2012
© 2011 The Authors. MicrobiologyOpen published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited and is not used for commercial purposes.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 2, Issue 7, pages 1408–1413, July 2012
How to Cite
Swinfield, T., Lewis, O. T., Bagchi, R. and Freckleton, R. P. (2012), Consequences of changing rainfall for fungal pathogen-induced mortality in tropical tree seedlings. Ecology and Evolution, 2: 1408–1413. doi: 10.1002/ece3.252
- Issue published online: 6 JUL 2012
- Article first published online: 8 JUN 2012
- Received: 16 January 2012; Revised: 2 March 2012; Accepted: 2 March 2012
- 2010. Testing the Janzen-Connell mechanism: pathogens cause over compensating density dependence in a tropical tree. Ecol. Lett. 13:1262–1269. DOI: 10.1111/j.1461-0248.2010.01520.x , , , , , , and
- 2006. Plant pathogens drive density-dependent seedling mortality in a tropical tree. Ecol. Lett. 9:569–574. DOI: 10.1111/j.1461-0248.2006.00905.x , , and
- 2006. The current and future dynamics of disease in plant communities. Annu. Rev. Phytopathol. 44:19–39. DOI: 10.1146/annurev.phyto.43.040204.140238 , , and
- 2007. Regional climate projections. Pp. 892–896 in Climate change 2007: the physical science basis. Contribution of working group I to the fourth assessment report of the intergovernmental panel on climate change. S. Solomon, D. Qin, M. Manning, Z. Chen, M. Marquis, K. B. Averyt, M. Tignor and H. L. Miller, eds. Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge, United Kingdom and New York, NY . , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1971. On the role of natural enemies in preventing competitive exclusion in some marine animals and in rain forest trees. Pp. 298–312 in Dynamics of numbers in populations. G. R. Gradwell and P. J. den Boes, eds. PUDOC, Wageningen , The Netherlands . DOI: 10.1890/07-2056.1
- 2011. Impacts of warming on tropical lowland rainforests. Trends Ecol. Evol. 26:613–606. DOI: 10.1016/j.tree.2011.06.015
- 2003. Temperature, moisture, and seed treatment effects on Rhizoctonia solani root rot of soybean. Plant Dis. 87:533–538. DOI: 10.1094/PDIS.2003.87.5.533 , , , and
- 2006. Pathogens, density dependence and the coexistence of tropical trees. Proc. R. Soc. B 273:2909–2916. DOI: 10.1098/rspb.2006.3660 , and
- 1974. Effect of temperature and leaf wetness period on infection of Pinus radiata by Dothistroma pini. New Zealand J. For. Sci. 4:495–501.
- 2006. Climate change effects on plant disease: genomes to ecosystems. Annu. Rev. Phytopathol. 44:489–509. DOI: 10.1146/annurev.phyto.44.070505.143420 , , , , and
- 1999. On the causes of gradients in tropical tree diversity. J. Ecol. 87:193–210. DOI: 10.1046/j.1365-2745.1999.00333.x
- 1970. Herbivores and the number of tree species in tropical forests. Am. Nat. 104:501–528. DOI: 10.1086/282871
- 2010. Biodiversity and climate change: integrating evolutionary and ecological responses of species and communities. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Evol. Syst. 41:321–350. DOI: 10.1146/annurev-ecolsys-102209-144628 , , , and
- 2008. Climate change, deforestation, and the fate of the Amazon. Science 319:169–172. DOI: 10.1126/science.1146961 , , , , , and
- 2010. Negative plant-soil feedback predicts tree-species relative abundance in a tropical forest. Nature 466:752–755. DOI: 10.1111/j.0030-1299.2005.13975.x , , , , , , and
- 2008. Adaptive melanin response of the soil fungus Aspergillus niger to UV radiation stress at “Evolution Canyon”, Mount Carmel, Israel. PloS One 3:e2993. DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0002993 , , , , , and
- 2010. The effects of plant pathogens on tree recruitment in the Western Amazon under a projected future climate: a dynamical systems analysis. J. Ecol. 98:1434–1446. DOI: 10.1111/j.1365-2745.2010.01726.x , , , and